New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default [3.5 Base Class] The Transient Psyche

Background- The sixth and last psionic class based around the disciplines.

The Transient Psyche

Every person has felt a desire to go roam their country, go to some exotic place, or just generally escape a situation. Nomads know this feeling, and use their psionic abilities to transport themselves to many places. However, when one desires to go anywhere, they go to a Transient Psyche, able to go anywhere, everywhere, and any time.

HD: d6
    Skill points: 2 + Int mod (4 + Int mod x 4 at first level)
    Skills:Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump(Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft(Int), Ride(Dex), Survival(Wis), and Swim(Str)

The Transient Psyche
    {table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special |Power Points/ Day | Powers Known| Maximum Power Level Known

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Psicrystal, Here and There, Transference|3|2|1st

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Crystalline Transport|5|3|1st

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Harmful Transposition 1d8|10|5|2nd

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Me And You, Conveyance, Time Jump|16|6|2nd

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Harmful Transposition 2d8|24|8|3rd

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Conveyance|33|9|3rd

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Harmful Transposition 3d8|44|11|4th

8th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |Conveyance, Long-Distance Travel|56|12|4th

9th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Harmful Transposition 4d8|70|14|5th

10th|
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Conveyance|85|15|5th

11th|
    +8
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |Harmful Transposition 5d8|102|17|6th

12th|
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |All-Terrain Vehicle, Conveyance|120|18|6th

13th|
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |Harmful Transposition 6d8|140|20|7th

14th|
    +10
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Conveyance |161|21|7th

15th|
    +11
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +9
    |Harmful Transposition 7d8|184|23|8th

16th|
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Calypso, Conveyance|208|24|8th

17th|
    +12
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |Harmful Transposition 8d8|234|26|9th

18th|
    +13
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Conveyance|261|27|9th

19th|
    +14
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |Harmful Transposition 9d8|289|29|9th

20th|
    +15
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |Conveyance, Master of Space and Time|318|30|9th[/table]

Class Features

Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: Transient Psyche are proficient with all simple weapons. Transient Psyche are not proficient with any armor nor shield .

Power Points/Day: An Transient Psyche's Power Points Per Day are as on the table above.

Powers Known:
    The Mind Puppeteers begins play knowing two powers of the player's choice. The Mind Puppeteers may choose any power of the Psychoporation discipline when choosing powers. Manifesting stat is Wisdom.

Here and There:
    Transient Psyches know how to get anywhere they want, and fast. The Transient Psyche may teleport themselves up to 10 x their level + 5 x their Wisdom modifier ft per day. This must be spend in 5 ft increments. Transient Psyches may expend power points to teleport an additional number of feet per day equal to 1 power point per 5 feet.

Transference:Transient Psyches can transport anything and move stuff around. Transient Psyches can learn Conjuration spells with the Summoning, Calling, and Teleportation descriptors as though they were powers of the same level, excepting spells that summon creatures, which count as being one level higher for the purpose of learning as a power.

Crystalline Transport:At 2nd level, the Transient Psyche's psicrystal become a much larger crystalline construct. It becomes treated as an Astral Construct of a level equal to 1/2 the Transient Psyche's class level, except that it does not gain abilities from the Astral Construct menu, are always Large until an equivalent Astral Construct would be larger, and the land speed of the construct can be exchanged for an equal, different type of speed(Ex. Land speed 30 ft becomes flight speed 30 ft). Crystalline Companions still are treated as psicrystals in all other respects, except they do not gain the self-propulsion or flight abilities.

Harmful Transposition: At 3rd level, the Mind Puppeteer can use the power of transportation to harm their enemies by focusing their psionic energies, then releasing them. This can manifest in a variety of ways: Transporting objects to appear in the subject's body momentarily, brief transportation to a harmful location, etc. As a standard action, the Transient Psyche can expend his psionic focus to deal 1d8 damage to one enemy within 30 ft. This damage increases by one die at 5th level and every two levels after.

Conveyance: At 4th level, and every two levels after, the Transient Psyche comes upon a new way to use transportation, and selects one of the abilities below:
    Spoiler
    Show

Forcibly Moved: You may treat up to one enemy per encounter as though he were you for the purpose of the Me and You class feature. You may select this ability again in order to increase the number of enemies by one.

From Above: You may transport a random creature or object of up to Large size to fall upon a creature by expending feet from the Me and you class feature. The creature falls from a height equal to the feet expended. The creature targeted takes the falling creatures damage that it would be dealt for falling(minimum 1d6), and takes an additional 1d6 damage for every size larger than it the object or creature falling is. You may expend up to 15 ft at a time on this ability. You may choose this ability again in order to increase the height the creature falls from by 15 feet, or increase the size of the object to one size larger. The latter option can only be chosen every other time you can choose a Conveyance ability.

Move It Like This:
    Choose one type of speed a creature can possess. By expending feet able to travel from your Here and There class feature, you may grant a target creature within 30 ft a speed of the type you chose equal to the number of feet able to travel you expended(Ex. A Transient Psyche chooses Swim speed for this, and expends 20 ft of movement from Here and There to grant an ally a swim speed of 20 ft). This lasts for 1 round per class level.You cannot expend more feet than 5 x 1/2 your class level.You may select this ability again to select a new type of speed, or increase the limit of feet expended by 10 ft.

Reactive Movement:
    As an immediate action, whenever you are targeted for an attack from an opponent within 20 ft, you may expend up to 10 + distance to attacker to make an attack of opportunity. You may select this ability again in order to increase the range of this ability by 15 ft.

Walking on Water: You may treat yourself as though under the effect of the Water Walk spell for one round by expending 10 ft from your Here and There class feature. You may extend the duration of this ability for one round by expending an additional 10 ft. You may select this ability again, allowing you to extend it an additional round for each time this ability is selected.

Walking on Sunshine: You may treat yourself as though under the effect of the Air Walk spell for one round by expending 10 ft from your Here and There class feature. You may extend the duration of this ability for one round by expending an additional 10 ft. You may select this ability again, allowing you to extend it an additional round for each time this ability is selected.

Door to Door: The Transient Psyche knows how to link places together to shorten the distance between them and other places. The Transient Psyche may, as a standard action, create a portal that is 10 feet tall by 10 feet wide. This portal may be linked to another existing portal made by the Transient Psyche, or, should no other portal currently exists or is linked to it, just teleports anyone who enters it 5 ft in a random direction. Portals may be traveled through by moving to the same space it occupies. These portals last for 10 minutes per class level. The Transient Psyche may initially make 1 + his Wisdom modifier portals, and by taking this ability again, may make an additional portal.

Me and You: At 4th level, you may treat your allies as yourself for the purpose of your Psychoportation powers.

Time Jump: Once per encounter, as a full-round action,a Transient Psyche may travel to a future round to act. During this round, the Transient Psyche is not on the field of battle at all, returning the field the round after this class feature is used. Essentially, for one round within 5 rounds of this class feature of using this class feature, a time duplicate of the Transient Psyche when he used this class feature appears. This time duplicate can use class features and powers, but they are all drawn from the current time's Transient Psyche's use. After the round is over, the time duplicate vanishes back to the past.

Long-Distance Travel:
    At 8th level, the Transient Psyche may travel for a long distance. By expending all remaining feet he is able to teleport using Here and There, he and a number of creatures equal to the Transient Psyche's Wisdom modifier may travel up to 1 mile per 50 ft that was expended.

All-Terrain Vehicle: At 12th level, the Transient Psyche's Crystalline Companion improves. As a full-round action, the Transient Psyche may change their Crystalline Companion's speed to any other type. Also, difficult terrain has no effect on the Crystalline Companion's movement, and by concentrating for 1 minute, the Crystalline Companion grows a barrier to cover all riding it, granting creatures riding it a +2 bonus to AC.

Calypso:
    At 16th level, by expending feet from their Here and There class feature, and a number of power points equal to 1 per 5ft expended, the Transient Psyche may teleport all creatures on the battlefield a number of feet equal to the amount expended from Here and There, enemies and allies alike. The direction of this movement is determined by the Transient Psyche.

Master of Time and Space: At 20th level, the Transient Psyche may move anywhere and anywhen. This grants multiple benefits. Firstly, for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 the Transient Psyche's class level, the Transient Psyche may use any ability or power from this class at no cost. Secondly, once per encounter, he may summon a time duplicate as per the Time Jump class feature without having to disappear for a round. This does not count against the Transient Psyche's uses of Time Jump. Thirdly, the Transient Psyche may teleport 30 ft as a move action. Lastly, as long as he is not used in combat, the Transient Psyche may travel 1 mile by expending 20 ft from his Here and There class feature.

Well, that's it for now. Please comment and PEACH.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-02-24 at 04:35 PM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 Base Class] The Transient Psyche

OMG, how fast can you pump these out...

Still looking good. I have to say that the Transference ability really adds versatility to the class, and the exception on summoning spells really lets the shapers remain viable.

Does Forcibly Moved grant a save? Because right now, it could let you use spells that normally don't grant saves because they can only be used on you (stuff like dimension door, that only grant a save to objects). Also, do you maintain complete control on the spell's variables, or is control transferred to the target (which wouldn't make a lot of sense, seeing as it is meant for offensive use).

From Above mentions that it is expending feet from the Me and You ability, but should probably refer to Here and There as the first contains no mention of feet.

Also, right now, there is no reason to take Walking on Water, as Walking on Sunshine is strictly better (heck, you can use it to walk on water if you like...) Either remove Walking on Water, nerf Walking on Sunshine (bad), or somehow improve Walking on Water (affect multiple targets?).
    The Age of Warrior, a ToB expansion.

Credits to Ninjaman for old Death Jester avatar.
    Homebrew (feel free to PEACH)
    Base Classes:
    Fighter Fix, The Sublime Matador

Disciplines:
    The Endless Play

3. - Top - End - #3

SwashbucklerGuy

Small typo here:

Powers Known: The Mind Puppeteers begins play knowing two powers of the player's choice. The Mind Puppeteers may choose any power of the Psychoporation discipline when choosing powers. Manifesting stat is Wisdom.

And also noticed the different manifesting stat!

EDIT: Transference grants a huge bonus to the class, but at the same time there are many inappropriate Conjuration spells that this class shouldn't have. How do you justify some of the not-so-thematically-appropriate spells?

EDIT2: The psicrystal here really doesn't make sense. What was your justification for it?

Also I like the time series of this class. Although perhaps you can add some Celerity like class features? They can be an option under Conveyance, which only focuses on Space and not enough Time.

Also Haste like abilities would also a good idea. Eventually you can progress Haste until it even works like a Time Stop ability. You could see the Swiftblade PrC to see how they work with this. This can also go under Conveyance, although probably not for a Time Stop like ability.

Alternatively, you could just homebrew them as Psychoportation powers so that this class can have access to it, and boost the discipline in general.

I like Time Jump but its awkwardly worded. I understand though. Let me see if I can help you with its wording.
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-02-19 at 08:07 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Jester View Post
    OMG, how fast can you pump these out...
    Pretty much as soon as the inspiration strikes me. Pretty much everything I put on here is just the first draft.
    Still looking good. I have to say that the Transference ability really adds versatility to the class, and the exception on summoning spells really lets the shapers remain viable.
    Yep. That was the aim.
    Does Forcibly Moved grant a save? Because right now, it could let you use spells that normally don't grant saves because they can only be used on you (stuff like dimension door, that only grant a save to objects). Also, do you maintain complete control on the spell's variables, or is control transferred to the target (which wouldn't make a lot of sense, seeing as it is meant for offensive use).
    You're right, it should allow a save. I'd also assume that you would maintain control of the spell's variables.
    From Above mentions that it is expending feet from the Me and You ability, but should probably refer to Here and There as the first contains no mention of feet.
    Oops! I should amend that.
    Also, right now, there is no reason to take Walking on Water, as Walking on Sunshine is strictly better (heck, you can use it to walk on water if you like...) Either remove Walking on Water, nerf Walking on Sunshine (bad), or somehow improve Walking on Water (affect multiple targets?).
    Hmmm....Maybe I could just make it so Walking on Sunshine just doesn't work over water? Alternatively, I could probably add the mass-Walking on Water, or perhaps improve speed over water.

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrickster View Post
    Small typo here:

Powers Known: The Mind Puppeteers begins play knowing two powers of the player's choice. The Mind Puppeteers may choose any power of the Psychoporation discipline when choosing powers. Manifesting stat is Wisdom.

And also noticed the different manifesting stat!
    Yeah, I've got to fix that error! Also, thanks for noticing the different stat.
    EDIT: Transference grants a huge bonus to the class, but at the same time there are many inappropriate Conjuration spells that this class shouldn't have. How do you justify some of the not-so-thematically-appropriate spells?
    Which ones would be innapropriate?
    EDIT2: The psicrystal here really doesn't make sense. What was your justification for it?
    Really? Here's an example for you: A Crystalline Companion could be formed in the shape of a horse(fluff), and carry the Transient Psyche.
    Also I like the time series of this class. Although perhaps you can add some Celerity like class features? They can be an option under Conveyance, which only focuses on Space and not enough Time.
    Celerity-like?
    Also Haste like abilities would also a good idea. Eventually you can progress Haste until it even works like a Time Stop ability. You could see the Swiftblade PrC to see how they work with this. This can also go under Conveyance, although probably not for a Time Stop like ability.
    Perhaps, Perhaps.
    Alternatively, you could just homebrew them as Psychoportation powers so that this class can have access to it, and boost the discipline in general.
    Maybe.
    I like Time Jump but its awkwardly worded. I understand though. Let me see if I can help you with its wording.
    I think it's mostly okay as it is, but would welcome help with the wording, thanks.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2011-02-19 at 08:19 PM.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

5. - Top - End - #5

SwashbucklerGuy

Any of the Orbs of X spells for instance or Mage Armor or Unseen Servant or Web or etc.

EDIT:

Well I suppose but the Transient can move naturally by themselves. The idea of a mobile Huge Construct is weird....but perhaps it fits. I'll see if I can think of anything else but I suppose it is fine as it.

I mean an ability that resembles the Celerity line of spells, sort of a lower level Temporal Anticipation.

Well I've always saw Psychoportation as reaching into the limits of Time as well as Space. Allowing them to speed themselves up would be useful boost.
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-02-19 at 08:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

Any of the Orbs of X spells for instance or Mage Armor or Unseen Servant or Web or etc.
    Well, they summon a servant/armor made of force, or summon a ball of energy from somewhere that they fling at an enemy.
    EDIT:

Well I suppose but the Transient can move naturally by themselves. The idea of a mobile Huge Construct is weird....but perhaps it fits. I'll see if I can think of anything else but I suppose it is fine as it.
    Basically, it's a way to move faster without expending power points or feet of movement. This would mainly be convenient in long-distance travel, and also can be used as a mount, so if you wanted to take a feat that benefits mounted combat, it could be fun.

I mean an ability that resembles the Celerity line of spells, sort of a lower level Temporal Anticipation.

Well I've always saw Psychoportation as reaching into the limits of Time as well as Space. Allowing them to speed themselves up would be useful boost.
    True enough, although this could easily get out of hand if someone's not careful. Also, to be kept in mind, while it does reach into the limits of Time and Space, it mainly does space.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

7. - Top - End - #7

SwashbucklerGuy

Summon an armor made of force? Okay the other things maybe....but I guess its fine with enough fluffing.

Oh okay I see what you are talking about.

Well as long as you keep to the lower levels of Celerity (like Lesser) its merely a low level Time flavored aspect, and wouldn't be too far removed as a Conveyance ability.

And Haste is simply a useful buff that would greatly help this class.

EDIT: I'm assuming the Transient Psyche controls when he reappears for the Time Jump ability? And also wouldn't the Transient Psyche use knowledge of the future of the battle field to change his earlier actions? Or something like that? Time Travel is icky
    Last edited by JKTrickster; 2011-02-20 at 01:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

Well as long as you keep to the lower levels of Celerity (like Lesser) its merely a low level Time flavored aspect, and wouldn't be too far removed as a Conveyance ability.

And Haste is simply a useful buff that would greatly help this class.
    I've got an idea where, on one hand, you've got the Haste ability, but on the other hand, you've got the ability to slow your enemies down.
    EDIT: I'm assuming the Transient Psyche controls when he reappears for the Time Jump ability? And also wouldn't the Transient Psyche use knowledge of the future of the battle field to change his earlier actions? Or something like that? Time Travel is icky
    He does control when. And I don't think he would, as while he did go to the future, he doesn't really know how things ended up that way. And for the round where himself from the past appears, he knows how his past self will move because he moved the same way. So, not really any big knowledge gained from this.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

9. - Top - End - #9

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    I've got an idea where, on one hand, you've got the Haste ability, but on the other hand, you've got the ability to slow your enemies down.
    That sounds AWESOME

Would this be a new ability or under Conveyance?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    He does control when. And I don't think he would, as while he did go to the future, he doesn't really know how things ended up that way. And for the round where himself from the past appears, he knows how his past self will move because he moved the same way. So, not really any big knowledge gained from this.
    Oh okay then. I was just messing with the standard Time Travel Nuances.

Also you mentioned that you could change the "form" of the Crystalline Transport? Where do it say that?

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

That sounds AWESOME

Would this be a new ability or under Conveyance?
    Yep, that would be the case.

Also you mentioned that you could change the "form" of the Crystalline Transport? Where do it say that?
    That'd mainly be a fluff thing. Stats would all be the same, but I like the idea that once you get All-Terrain Vehicle, you could change its form a bit, even if the stats were the same. So, if it had a land speed and was horse-shaped, it could sprout wings like a pegasus if you changed its land speed to a fly speed. Just fluff, is all.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Oh okay if its just fluff but being a horse versus an eagle is pretty major versus some things. E.g. Having four legs is harder to trip or etc.

Also be careful. All Conjuration spells means both arcane and divine. And there ARE healing Conjuration spells which would be just weird. I would add the limitation of Arcane Conjuration spells with the Teleport, Calling, or Summoning descriptor which is what matches the class.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

Oh okay if its just fluff but being a horse versus an eagle is pretty major versus some things. E.g. Having four legs is harder to trip or etc.
    Yeah, that's mainly why it's just fluff.
    Also be careful. All Conjuration spells means both arcane and divine. And there ARE healing Conjuration spells which would be just weird. I would add the limitation of Arcane Conjuration spells with the Teleport, Calling, or Summoning descriptor which is what matches the class.
    Arcane Conjuration is a limit I could deal with. However, remember: spells that summon creatures are treated as being powers of 1 level higher, so Summon Monster 1 would be a 2nd level power.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

13. - Top - End - #13

SwashbucklerGuy

Well true. But there are Conjuration [Creation] spells which don't match the Transient Psyche at all. And in general all the spells with the [Teleportation], [Calling], and [Summoning] tags cover the general focus of the Transient Psyche, while allowing the Summoning spells in particular to be a level higher.

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Well true. But there are Conjuration [Creation] spells which don't match the Transient Psyche at all. And in general all the spells with the [Teleportation], [Calling], and [Summoning] tags cover the general focus of the Transient Psyche, while allowing the Summoning spells in particular to be a level higher.
    True, [Creation] and [Healing] don't fit in.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

Although that WOULD be funny:

I TELEPORT THE HEALING TOWARDS YOU!!!

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

Although that WOULD be funny:

I TELEPORT THE HEALING TOWARDS YOU!!!
    Haha, It'd be more like transporting positive energy from somewhere and moving it to the subject of the healing, if that were the case.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

17. - Top - End - #17

SwashbucklerGuy

Still that sounds so weird. Which is probably the same reason why Conjuration works

Oh by the way have you ever played the game Portal? Where you can travel between two portals that you designate? Not saying you have to design an ability like that but that sure would be cool....

18. - Top - End - #18

RedWizardGuy

Oh by the way have you ever played the game Portal? Where you can travel between two portals that you designate? Not saying you have to design an ability like that but that sure would be cool....
    Hmm....That would make an interesting Conveyance ability.
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Changes made:

-Corrected Transference