New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [ToB] Artmage (martial/arcane prc)

Artmage
    Some suspect that the dance of a martial artist on the battlefield mirrors the dance of the universe through possibility. Others know it for certain.

Supernatural martial maneuvers and arcane spells tap into the same elemental power of magic from very different directions. An Artmage is one who is so expert in both that she can make them meet in the middle, gaining new control over magic. Most Artmages start as wizard/swordsages, but many other pathes are possible. Artmages may be found meditating on mountains, studying in universities, sparring in arenas or adventuring in the wild.

The first artmages were wizards who thought they had almost figured magic out when they learned of the sublime path and all their theories were disproved. They did not despair, but set out to study with renewed vigor. Once they found some success, their lore spread quickly. Now artmages are just as likely to be intellectual swordsages who dabbled in wizardy.

Some Artmages try to go further, finding similar roots in bardic, divine or invocation-based magic. The theory is impressive, but they have yet to produce practical results.

Artmages adventure either to test their ideas against real danger or to retrieve ancient lore that sheds light on their studies. Except those who learned the way of the artmage only for its practical benefits. They adventure for wealth, glory, or to achieve their own ends. They are the despair of their teachers, but fellow adventurers often find them more pleasant than purists.

Artmages tend to get along well with the more theoretical wizards, and with anyone who has a new or combined approach to magic: Seekers of the Song, Sublime Chords, Eldritch Theurges, and especially Ultimate Magi. Artmages often get along poorly with divine casters, because they tend to raise disturbing questions about the nature of gods and mystical causes.

Artmages are often neutral: too devoted to their arts and studies to take notice of the world around them. This is not a requirement, though, and artmages of all alignments can be found.

Artmages are seldom devout, but many pay at least lip service to Boccob and Zuoken.

Prerequisites: 2nd level arcane spells, a 2nd level supernatural maneuver, 8 ranks spellcraft, 8 ranks martial lore, eschew materials, adaptive style

HP: d6
    Skills: 2+int
    Class skills: Concentration, Knowledge(arcana), Knowledge(nature), Knowledge(religion), Knowledge(the planes), Martial Lore, Perform(any), Spellcraft
    Martial Paths: Choose 3 of Desert Wind, Devoted Spirit, Diamond Mind, Shadow Hand, Solaris Arcanum, Untamed Essence, Coin's Edge and Masked Moon. This choice must be made when you begin the class and cannot be changed. Add the key skills for the paths you choose to your class skill list. If you select Shadow Hand, add Move Silently as well as Hide.

level BAB Fort Ref Will spellcasting
    1 0 0 2 2 -
    2 1 0 3 3 +1 level of existing class
    3 2 1 3 3 +1 level of existing class
    4 3 1 4 4 +1 level of existing class
    5 3 1 4 4 +1 level of existing class
    6 4 2 5 5 +1 level of existing class
    7 5 2 5 5 +1 level of existing class
    8 6 2 6 6 +1 level of existing class
    9 6 3 6 6 -
    10 7 3 7 7 +1 level of existing class
    11 8 3 7 7 +1 level of existing class
    12 9 4 8 8 +1 level of existing class
    13 9 4 8 8 +1 level of existing class
    14 10 4 9 9 +1 level of existing class
    15 11 5 9 9 +1 level of existing class

level features conversions known max conversion level maneuvers known stances known maneuvers readied
    1 channel spell 0 - 0 0 1
    2 martial channel spell 0 - 1 0 0
    3 convert strike 3 0 0 0 0
    4 3 1 0 0 0
    5 3 1 1 1 0
    6 convert counter 3 1 0 0 0
    7 3 2 0 0 0
    8 4 2 1 0 0
    9 convert boost 4 2 0 0 1
    10 4 3 0 0 0
    11 4 3 1 1 0
    12 convert stance 4 3 0 0 0
    13 4 4 0 0 0
    14 5 4 1 0 0
    15 convert other 5 4 0 0 0

Channel Spell (su): You can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.

Martial Channel Spell (su): You can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee martial maneuver. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Both the spell and the maneuver must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less, and the maneuver must be a single melee attack with additional effects. If the melee attack is successful, the maneuver deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.

Martial Conversion (su): By understanding their common roots, you can convert a spell into a supernatural martial maneuver, within certain limits. As your skills develop, some of these restrictions go away.

General Limits of Martial Conversion:
    There are some limits that are always in effect:
    • You must be able to cast the spell, either normally of from a scroll without the Use Magic Device skill.
    • The spell's casting time must be 1 round or less
    • The spell cannot have an expensive material component, or an XP cost
    • The spell cannot have these subtypes: creation, healing, figment or shadow
    • The spell's level cannot be above your maximum conversion level (see table).
    • The spell must be arcane.

The Act of Conversion:
    Converting a spell to a maneuver requires 8 hours of uninterrupted study, meditation and practice. At the end of the 8 hours, make a spellcraft check and a martial lore check. The dc for both is 20 + 3 * the spell's level (e.g. converting a 2nd level spell requires dc 26 checks). You may take ten. If you fail, you must start over from scratch. If you succeed, you now know the conversion, and may use it until you choose to replace it. If you already know as many conversions as you can, you choose one to forget after succeeding in the act of conversion. Note that, unlike regular maneuvers, converted stances count against the same limit as other conversions. If you use a scroll as the origin of the conversion, it is not expended -- since you were studying and understanding the scroll, not casting it. Similarly, no spell slots are expended by the act of conversion.

Converted Maneuvers:
    Maneuvers created this way can be used like any other supernatural maneuvers with a few exceptions. They are of no school; they count against your conversions known rather than your regular maneuvers known, and they cannot be recorded onto martial scripts. Similarly, others cannot learn them, unless they are also Artmages who have conversions of that level.
    Conversions are like the spells they were created from with a few exceptions. They always require you to move and never to speak, regardless of the components of the original spell, and if they offer a saving throw, it is wisdom based.

Strikes:
    Strikes are the first type of maneuver that is eligible for conversion. Spells can be made into strikes so long as they target a single creature or object (other than yourself) and do not have the harmless descriptor. Spells which target "one or more" creatures or objects may be converted, but the resulting strike will effect only one.

Counters:
    Spells can be made into counters so long as it is possible to cast them on yourself. You may invoke the counter in a dangerous situation that is not ongoing, and for purposes of resolving the situation, you are treated as having had the spell cast on you. For example, you could convert Resist Energy into a counter, and use it to survive a dragon's breathe, but not to swim through acid (because that is ongoing).

Boosts:
    Spells can be made into boosts so long as it is possible to cast them on yourself, they have a duration longer than 1 round, and they cannot be ended early by being used up. For example, True Strike is discharged when you attack, so it cannot be made into a boost. Similarly Protection from Arrows after it has protected you from sufficient arrows. Invisibility can be made into a boost, because the actions that end it are not lots-of-being-invisible. Invoking a boost is a swift action, and you remain under the effects of the boost for the remainder of your turn.

Stances:
    Any spell that can be made into a boost can be made into a stance. If there is a choice to be made when casting the spell (such as the energy type for resist energy), it requires a swift action to change the type (think of it as shifting stance to the same stance). Like normal stances, these last until you change to a different stance.

Other:
    At 15th level, an artmage can convert spells which do not fall neatly into martial categories. Any spell which conforms to the general limits qualifies. Maneuvers created this way have the type "other" and require a standard action to perform.
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2015-06-03 at 10:47 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [ToB] Artmage (martial/arcane prc)

Wait, you just created a new dual progression arcane caster/martial adept?

Awesome!
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

That seems a bit odd and there isn't any obvious reason for it to be stretched out that way. The formatting could use slight work (some bolding would be nice). The table could use some judicious application of capital letters and periods. Maybe break it down into multiple tables. One for BAB, conversions, spellcasting. The other for maneuvers.

Why 11 levels? This seems odd given that you already have very little happening at a lot of levels and nothing other than the new ability at 11th (and a point of BAB). Maybe just move that down one level?

I'm also not sure I understand what "Convert Other" does. Clarification is needed. I'm also not sure what you mean when you refer to "converted stances" especially in regards to what it does to duration. Do you mean it keeps the benefits for the entire duration? I'm also not sure what you mean when you talk about Boosts only applying if you can cast them on yourself. Do you mean spells with a range of personal?

This is the definitive ability of the class: to turn a spell into a supernatural maneuver. It requires somewhat more explanation.
    I'd take out this line. You don't need to assume that the reader can't see that.

Similarly, they cannot be taught,
    I'd say they cannot be learned rather than cannot be taught. That helps prevent things that pick up maneuvers from victims or the like picking them up. Unless, should that be possible? I don't know.

Also, needs more fluff. Who are artmages? Where did they come from?

Also, I'd consider giving them either the Untamed Essence or Solaris Arcanum as options for disciplines from which they can learn maneuvers.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2010-02-18 at 08:49 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Why 11 levels? This seems odd given that you already have very little happening at a lot of levels and nothing other than the new ability at 11th (and a point of BAB). Maybe just move that down one level?
    It's 15 levels. Maybe I do need to improve the formatting.

I tried it as a 10 level class, but it didn't work out very nicely. Everything became cramped and uneven. This gets nice patterns. It also means there's new conversions almost every level (the others have a manuever, spells, and either a stance or a conversions known boost).

I'm also not sure I understand what "Convert Other" does. Clarification is needed. I'm also not sure what you mean when you refer to "converted stances" especially in regards to what it does to duration. Do you mean it keeps the benefits for the entire duration? I'm also not sure what you mean when you talk about Boosts only applying if you can cast them on yourself. Do you mean spells with a range of personal?
    A spell you can cast on yourself is exactly what it sounds like. For example, a human artmage could convert enlarge person, but an aasimar couldn't.

Stances last until you switch. It works around duration.

Other is exactly what it sounds like. Anything you couldn't convert before, you can now (unless it has a forbidden descriptor or cost). Fireball? Sure. Wall of Ice? Have fun!

I'd say they cannot be learned rather than cannot be taught. That helps prevent things that pick up maneuvers from victims or the like picking them up. Unless, should that be possible? I don't know.
    Is that possible? What sort of being could do that?

Also, needs more fluff. Who are artmages? Where did they come from?
    Artmages are anyone who seeks to understand the innermost essence of magic by approaching it from the arcane and sublime sides. Little else unites them. Artmages may be found meditating on mountains, studying in universities, sparring in arenas or adventuring in the wild.

The first artmages were wizards who thought they had almost figured magic out when they learned of the sublime path and all their theories were disproved. They did not despair, but set out to study with renewed vigor. Once they found some success, their lore spread quickly.

Artmages adventure either to test their ideas against real danger or to retrieve ancient lore that sheds light on their studies. Except those who learned the way of the artmage only for its practical benefits. They adventure for wealth, glory, or to achieve their own ends. They are the despair of their teachers, but fellow adventurers often find them more pleasant than purists.

Artmages tend to get along well with the more theoretical wizards, and with anyone who has a new or combined approach to magic: Seekers of the Song, Sublime Chords, Eldritch Theurges, and especially Ultimate Magi. Artmages often get along poorly with divine casters, because they tend to raise disturbing questions about the nature of gods and mystical causes.

Also, I'd consider giving them either the Untamed Essence or Solaris Arcanum as options for disciplines from which they can learn maneuvers.
    Yes. I put those in the spreadsheet, along with Coin's Edge and Masked Moon. I'm worried that too many schools will make this too powerful (it's already very powerful).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    It's 15 levels. Maybe I do need to improve the formatting.
    Ah. First column I assumed was level number but is in fact BAB. Yeah.

[QUOTE\
    I tried it as a 10 level class, but it didn't work out very nicely. Everything became cramped and uneven. This gets nice patterns. It also means there's new conversions almost every level (the others have a manuever, spells, and either a stance or a conversions known boost). [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that seems ok.

A spell you can cast on yourself is exactly what it sounds like. For example, a human artmage could convert enlarge person, but an aasimar couldn't.
    So spells with ranges other than personal work? This sounds potentially broken. Healing spells for example could allow healing at will.

Stances last until you switch. It works around duration.
    Ok. It should say so.

Other is exactly what it sounds like. Anything you couldn't convert before, you can now (unless it has a forbidden descriptor or cost). Fireball? Sure. Wall of Ice? Have fun!
    Ok. So you need to state explicitly that this allows all such but doesn't still allow conversion of stuff with bad descriptors or high cost.

Is that possible? What sort of being could do that?
    Well, the Seeker of Lost Swords (another homebrew class by me which is going into Age of Warriors also), and the Broken Blade discipline has maneuvers which allow you to steal maneuvers from people temporarily (although that's not nearly as much of a problem). Maybe it is just a small problem from some of the stuff I've homebrewed then. But if we're putting things into AoW we're going to need to have stuff interact ok.

Artmages are anyone who seeks to understand the innermost essence of magic by approaching it from the arcane and sublime sides. Little else unites them. Artmages may be found meditating on mountains, studying in universities, sparring in arenas or adventuring in the wild.

The first artmages were wizards who thought they had almost figured magic out when they learned of the sublime path and all their theories were disproved. They did not despair, but set out to study with renewed vigor. Once they found some success, their lore spread quickly.

That's excellent fluff. So add it in to the class description.

Yes. I put those in the spreadsheet, along with Coin's Edge and Masked Moon. I'm worried that too many schools will make this too powerful (it's already very powerful).
    That makes sense although I'm not convinced that in most cases increasing the number of disciplines available does actually make them that much more powerful. If one has any chance of picking up high level maneuvers then some amount of specialization has to occur anyways.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

6. - Top - End - #6

I've cleaned up the formatting (including clarifications) and added the schools.

As for infinite healing, firstly healing is a banned subtype. Even if I unbanned it, they couldn't be strikes (harmless), boosts (instantaneous) or stances (ditto). They could be counters, but counters don't last (so you could use them against Power Words, but that's about it). You could do it with convert other, or you could have a stance of Vigor (if you can make vigor arcane). Neither of those strikes me as unreasonable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I've cleaned up the formatting (including clarifications) and added the schools.

As for infinite healing, firstly healing is a banned subtype. Even if I unbanned it, they couldn't be strikes (harmless), boosts (instantaneous) or stances (ditto).
    Hmm, what if I used a strike that does positive energy damage? Not sure if they exist, although there certainly are those which do neg en. But at that point this seems reasonable.

They could be counters, but counters don't last (so you could use them against Power Words, but that's about it). You could do it with convert other, or you could have a stance of Vigor (if you can make vigor arcane). Neither of those strikes me as unreasonable.
    Agreed.

I still think you should be more explicit about which features are being removed at 15th. "Any spell which conforms to the general limits qualifies" is very vague.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

8. - Top - End - #8

I still think you should be more explicit about which features are being removed at 15th. "Any spell which conforms to the general limits qualifies" is very vague.
    How is this vague? The general limits are spelled out. "Any spell" is a clear enough concept. Can you give a concrete example of what you'd be uncertain about?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

How is this vague? The general limits are spelled out. "Any spell" is a clear enough concept. Can you give a concrete example of what you'd be uncertain about?
    Ok. Rereading this I guess I just suck at reading comperehension. Yeah this is ok as written.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors