New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: We're going for the record!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    If I were doing this, I probably wouldn't play Small World. I'd play Settlers of Catan with every single expansion.
    I believe that there were a few guys who played Settlers of Catan for about 51 hours to set the record a while back. They were then beat by some other guys playing another game, and now were trying to beat the current record by playing Small World with the Underground expansion and Tunnels to give us a bit more variation.
    The reason we went for Small World was because of the variation from game to game.

Edit for added Awesomeness:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2012-07-20 at 06:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

*cough*

post error thing has hittified so i'm kindly posting here so we can see Ku's awesome news... because he just PM'ed me to ask if i could see his awesome new message and i can't see his awesome new message...

Ku, your last post had better be awesome, i've kinda built it up for you now.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, not only do I know nothing about Small World, the only thing I know about that Catan thing I mentioned was that it had lots of expansions, each of which made it last longer.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon-freak89 View Post
    Honestly, not only do I know nothing about Small World, the only thing I know about that Catan thing I mentioned was that it had lots of expansions, each of which made it last longer.
    It doesn't matter if the games take a long time or not. It's the gaming session itself that's the important thing, and that we're only allowed to play one type of game.
    The fact that each game, you get a new combination of powers and races makes the game better in my mind, as it doesn't get too repetitive.

For a pretty good introduction (in my mind) to Small World, check out this Table Top episode.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Doho! Something I can help with, methinks! I researched polyphasic sleep a few years ago for a good 6 months on a paper that I wrote, so I think I can get you help that you need to work this effectively and not die.

The big thing to remember here is this: Sleep is important, so you're going to want to be doing this during your breaks. (Though you should find out if going to be the bathroom when it's not your turn constitutes using your break, because if so, you're gonna have a hell of a time dealing with it.)

If you accrue one 5 minute break per hour of gameplay, then what you're probably going to want to do is take a 30 minute nap every 8 hours (which leaves you a spare 10 minutes of time to ease into nodding off/waking up and clearing the grogginess). Also, side note, the hours of 12-3 (am and pm) are the best times to sleep, generally, because your sleep cycles are most in sync then, so you'll get the most restorative sleep. This is assuming you don't need to take official breaks to eat or go to the bathroom.

Also, if you DO nap, you should be sure to have people helping you to come wake you all up. Which reminds me: while I agree you should go on a caffeine hiatus for a while prior, I would recommend staying away from liquid caffeine as much as possible - if you HAVE to drink something with caffeine, go for either green tea or Spike energy drink (Spike's got pretty much the best bang for your buck, clocking in at 300mg/8.5oz). Personally, I'd say invest in some powdered caffeine - I got mine from Blast (just search for Blast caffeine powder) - if it's powdered, you can either add it to food (caffinated pizza, anyone?) or just shake it on your tongue directly. It's bitter, but each shake of the case is about 100mg of caffeine, or slightly more than a can of Red Bull.

If you're wondering where the hell I'm getting all the sleep facts, by the way, look into the research of Claudio Stampi - he's a guy who originally looked into things like this for people doing marathon solo boat races, where falling asleep at the helm could actually kill you if you did it too long. The book is long out of print, but you might be able to find an ebook of his research, or maybe in a university library (I found mine at the University of Richmond library).

If you're wondering where I got my research on caffeine...I'm an English major. I write a lot of papers. Need I say more?
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2012-07-23 at 04:27 AM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

that was a VERY interesting post dethmuncher
    thankyou!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    that was a VERY interesting post dethmuncher
    thankyou!
    Vy tank hyu! Hy gots to be good at sumfink, no?

But really, if it's advice about how to effectively sleep, how to get the most caffeine in your body, how to write a research paper or how to play the euphonium, I've got all the answers you need. Anything else, not so much. /derail

Anyway, best of luck KuReshtin!
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

status update:
    The guys ran a test on the video recording and streaming last night at the shop, and it looks as if things will go ahead with the streaming during the event.

Two of the guys haven't actually played Small World before, so we'll have a quick run-through with them on Sunday night to get them up to speed on the game and how it's played. And then we're starting things on Wednesday next week.

Only 7 days to go. Getting excited.

Also, we're collecting money for CHAS (Children's Hospice Association Scotland) as well, and we have a JustGiving page available for that good cause.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looks very cool, good luck.

We had a radio presenter who presented for 8 days straight over here. He also used lighting as a help. So just before sleep breaks you can start dimming the lights. When you wake up, lots of lights will help you keep awake.

Also, light food, no heavy carbs

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Banned

Default Re: We're going for the record! Small World for 55+ hours. 1-3 August

I can't believe chess was suggested, but go wasn't.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

This is it. This is the week when I, Ben, Duncan and Sean go for the record.
    On Wednesday, we try to break the world record for the longest session of playing a board game.
    We're doing it for charity, and we're supporting CHAS (Children's hospice Association Scotland). Please help us out by donating a little something for the good cause.
    The donation page is at http://www.justgiving.com/Bus-Stop-Toy-Shop
    Any donation is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Good luck Ku. I really hope you guys make it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

So, today is the day...
    You won't probably read this 'til it will be all over, but GOOD LUCK!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Good luck Ku and please take good care of yourselves during the attempt.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

anyone got the site they are streaming it on?
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/formerself00

GOOD LUCK.
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2012-08-01 at 04:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/formerself00

For people who want to follow.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

and they're off...
    wish they'd have picked PR. as i'd understand what's happening in game

now. everyone phone Ku...

Also: why isn't Ku wearing a redshirt?
    Last edited by Archonic Energy; 2012-08-01 at 05:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Good luck guys!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

We're about 12 hours into the attempt now, and We're doing pretty well.
    After 9 completed games the standing is:

Ku - 3
    Ben - 2
    Sean - 3
    Duncan - 1

Thanks for all the well wishes guys.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Day 2!

This makes me want to play Small World :P

21. - Top - End - #81
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Bit worrying that there seems to be nobody at the table at the moment...

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Might be a little late to say this, but maybe you could just play straight for anywhere between 12 and 36 hours, then use all your break time gathered up to sleep? Hopefully someone has an alarm clock and will be able to hear it...

Also, the stream is blurry. I can't figure out what the game looks like.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-08-02 at 07:44 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Bit worrying that there seems to be nobody at the table at the moment...
    We've been taking breaks here and there for 5 or 10 minutes, but leave the stream open. We did go for a longer break at about 7:20 this afternoon (thursday) to get a shower and frequent up a bit. Might have been then that you checked in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Might be a little late to say this, but maybe you could just play straight for anywhere between 12 and 36 hours, then use all your break time gathered up to sleep? Hopefully someone has an alarm clock and will be able to hear it...

Also, the stream is blurry. I can't figure out what the game looks like.
    We've been doing 4 hour stints to collect 20 minutes of break time and then only taken 5 or 10 minutes to keep a saved pool of break minutes.
    After 38 hours, we've got about 90 minutes saved up. We'll see how that will be used as we get closer to the end.

We've got a phone call apparently scheduled with the marketing director at Days of Wonder, who produces Small World, where he wants to talk to us about the record attempt and stuff.
    Going to be fun. It'll be at 4am UK time and we'll have been playing for 39 hours. The big question is: will the Americans understand the west Scottish accent during the call?
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Tired faces...
    Stand your ground, guys!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Glad to see things are still going! Keep going guys! You're almost there :D

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    We've got a phone call apparently scheduled with the marketing director at Days of Wonder, who produces Small World, where he wants to talk to us about the record attempt and stuff.
    Going to be fun. It'll be at 4am UK time and we'll have been playing for 39 hours. The big question is: will the Americans understand the west Scottish accent during the call?
    No chance. They'll never understand you.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Just reached the glorious 50 hour Mark. That means we've only got another 4 hours until we break the record.
    Then it's a matter of setting a new record. Setting the bar at its new level for people to try and reach.

Currently, we've finished 36 games and the current standing is:
    Ku - 8
    Sean - 11
    Duncan - 12
    Ben - 5

Best news of this marathon session was when we got a phone call from the co-founder of Days of Wonder, the publisher of Small World, where he told us he'd been following our live feed and that they would donate £1000 for CHAS, our charity of choice for the record attempt.
    And that's in addition to the batch of games their European division pledged to donate to the hospices directly, for the kids and their families to be able to use.
    Can't say enough about how much respect I have for those guys for them to support this record attempt by a bunch of nobodies in Scotland.
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2012-08-03 at 10:18 AM.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Keep going Ku! You're almost home! How are you guys holding up?

Let me know what the final time is and I'll make a donation based on it.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Stay strong guys! You're doing awesome! :D

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'm back home after having played 40 games of Small World back to back for 54 and a half hours, breaking the old world record for marathon playing a board game.

I want to thank everyone who helped us these last few days at the shop, bringing us snacks, meals and drinks, and generally let us boss them around. Without them, it wouldn't have been possible. .
    I also want to give another shoutout to Days of Wonder, the publishers of the Small World game. Their European division pledged to send several sets of games to the Children's Hospices that we collected money for, and Mark Kaufmann, co-founder of Days of Wonder, actually called us from California in the middle of the record attempt tp let us know that they would donate a whopping £1000. The whole team behind the record attempt were so moved to hear that.

I also want to thank everyone that has donated money to the great cause of CHAS (Children's Hospice Association Scotland) during the past few days, and even if our record attempt is over, the donation page will still be open for more donations at the following link:
    http://www.justgiving.com/Bus-Stop-Toy-Shop

Again, thanks so much for all the well-wishes during the past few days and the morale support through messages on the live feed. You guys kept us going.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.