New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: UKitP meet VII "X-mas/Winter" Sheffield 04/12/10 *UPDATED Nov 23, 2010*

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    We are now trying to sort out a giant game of Nuke Wars. I've never tried an 18 person game before... going to be interesting.
    Had to play in pairs. Vampiric and I actually survived.

Also, Glug's Burning Wheel game was epic.

A party of elves (myself, Hamish and Vampiric) went to visit a Dwarven fortress (Fifty-Eyed, Grlump, Curly, Archonic). Grlump was the Prince's (Fifty-Eyed) chief advisor, and decided to go behind his back along with Archonic (head bodyguard) and hire a gnome to poison the elven delegation.

Sadly, he was unlucky and hired the wrong gnome, who tried to poison all seven of us.

Curly - the drunken uncle - spotted the poison before drinking, but was unable to communicate the deception to the other dwarves, who all drank the poison. Similarly, Hamish's Loremaster was able to detect the poison in the Elves wine - and communicated the danger to us just as the three unknowing dwarves drank.

Fortunately, the Prince passed a forte test and resisted the poison.

In fact, the only ones affected by the poison were the two who organised it.

To prevent his treachery becoming known, the gnome (by now captured) had an "accident" and couldn't talk. Grlump tried to lie to us - that he had uncovered a gnomish plot trying to incite war between the Elves and Dwarves.

To get away with this lie he needed to roll 14 successes on 8 dice (d6, 4,5,6 are successes, 6s roll an extra dice).

The odds were astronomical. The epic epic lie saved him.

Somehow we had a happy ending. (Apart from the gnome, and the gnomish kingdom - now under attack from a Dwarf-Elf alliance, and the Dwarven Prince who is still advised by his treacherous advisor.)

Anyway - there are loads of people at mine, who'll be going home tomorrow. Meetup continues at Captain Spanner's house!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: UKitP meet VII "X-mas/Winter" Sheffield 04/12/10 *UPDATED Nov 23, 2010*

*Achtung! Less posting! More rolling!*
    Above Us Only Sky

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    We are now trying to sort out a giant game of Nuke Wars. I've never tried an 18 person game before... going to be interesting.
    Was fun, up until the point that me and Fred were nuked, first...

Pueto Rica was fun with Archie, Fred, Glug and Ku :D

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    Had to play in pairs. Vampiric and I actually survived.

Also, Glug's Burning Wheel game was epic.
    *epic plot summary is epic*
    SO MUCH FUN
    I will have that armour off you one day though

Great day everyone and really nice to meet you all. Thanks for the food CurlyKitGirl, really tasty
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Further to previous update: Grlump looks disconcertingly absolutely nothing like his avatar. The OotS game can go relatively quickly if you go down at a decent pace to Xykon's Lair, but is likely to stall at that point if no-one has followed you down who could offer assistance. It is possible, though insane, to mix regular and Monty Python Fluxx together. Also, Big Mechanical Tree Brother is watching you. We have always been at war with Evil Magical Dogs, and Bad Horse of the Evil Gumbo has always been our ally.

Generally awesome times have been had. The Burning Wheel game did sound pretty great - I kind of wanted to play, but having invited two non-forumite friends, I didn't want to then immediately abandon them. And Dixit is fun, and has one of the most adorable pictures ever on one of the cards.

Also, I just realised on arriving back here, I left my Mikado DVD in Spanner's living room. While I know she was joking, if Curly does want to steal it until I next see her I'd be OK with that, or otherwise I'll have to come back and get it in the morning before we leave. If no-one's responded by the time I'm otherwise ready to leave in the morning, I'll text someone.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #545
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I wish I could have been there, but it's probably for the best I'm not considering I seem to have picked up a nasty cold from somewhere--wouldn't want to have passed it on!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Had a really good time yesterday. Enjoyed running the game and I hope the energy from the table added a little bit to everybody's day. Nuclear war was a little slow, we'd spend 20 seconds to do our turn and wait 5 minutes for our next one. But then the Puerto Rico game with Fred, Grlump and the guys was pretty good even though I made terrible choices and sucked at it this time.

Hey, I was going to ask yesterday, but would anybody be up for a play by post Mouse Guard game? It's Burning Wheel's little brother but it's a bit more structured. There is a mission phase and downtime phase that alternate back and forth - a little like railroad/sandbox/railroad/sandbox/etc...

I'd need to explain a lot of what the rules are but most of them are written on the downloadable character sheet.

Ideally I'd like 2 players, 3 at most and Vampiric said he'd like to reserve one of the spots himself. The game would provisionally last for 3 cycles of this Mission/Downtime structure.

7. - Top - End - #547

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
    The post above was not written by Lensman - some evil hacker (who shall be nameless) used my computer. I will throw the villain out into the cold, cold snow as a punishment. She will doubtless turn up somewhere else begging to be let in and asking for shelter for the night. Beware this devious, scheming wretch!!
    Dear Lensman:

Despite keeping a close eye on Cassie to ensure she didn't escape, at about 1040 hours today she evaded my guards and was last seen entering a taxi to Sheffield Train Station with three accomplices.

Sources imply she may be headed for you. Apply caution!

Arkady
    (P.S.: We all missed you!)

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dear Lensman:

Despite keeping a close eye on Cassie to ensure she didn't escape, at about 1040 hours today she evaded my guards and was last seen entering a taxi to Sheffield Train Station with three accomplices.

Sources imply she may be headed for you. Apply caution!

Oh no! Run for the hills! Help!

(P.S.: We all missed you!)
    Thanks. I'm sorry I couldn't come, but it sounds as though you all had a good time. I still demand photos!

9. - Top - End - #549
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I'm back! despite numerous train annoyances...

AWESOMENESS. All I can say about the meetup. I love you guys. <3

btw: Big Mechanical Tree is watching you.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

She's back. (Eeeeeek!)

Thanks to all of you, especially Capt Spanner, for putting up with her putting her up for the night.

I can say from experience now that Curly's muffins are fantastic (one crumpled one somehow survived Cassie's return journey and has been devoured by yours truly).

So, when's the next meet-up going to be? And where?

11. - Top - End - #551

Update from four hours ago: Thufir recovered DVD. Thufir gained 20 exp!
    Update from now: Back home, once again resolving to investigate some of the games I encountered at the meetup. EDIT: This link may be of interest to Jibbers, Curly and randman. Edit 2: Ironically, their retailer locator only comes up with 3 stores in the UK, one of which is in Sheffield.
    Also reflecting on how I wish these meetups could last longer. I miss you guys already!

Oh, and now I should be able to remember Spanner's real name. To the facebook-stalking-mobile?

Next meetup... I'm thinking of investigating options in the Newcastle area, but really the next one should probably be a bit further south, to be fairer on the people who live in that direction.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2010-12-05 at 10:09 AM.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

I vote somewhere near Portsmouth. Cause that's half an hour away from me.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Update from four hours ago: Thufir recovered DVD. Thufir gained 20 exp!
    Update from now: Back home, once again resolving to investigate some of the games I encountered at the meetup. EDIT: This link may be of interest to Jibbers, Curly and randman. Edit 2: Ironically, their retailer locator only comes up with 3 stores in the UK, one of which is in Sheffield.
    Also reflecting on how I wish these meetups could last longer. I miss you guys already!

Oh, and now I should be able to remember Spanner's real name. To the facebook-stalking-mobile?

Next meetup... I'm thinking of investigating options in the Newcastle area, but really the next one should probably be a bit further south, to be fairer on the people who live in that direction.
    Hmm, if we keep alternating between north and south for each one then all the Northern ones will be in Winter, and all the Southern ones in Summer.
    Well I'm finally back. Naturally coming back from Sheffield all the trains were perfectly on time. While on the way there every single one was delayed and one broke down en route.

Anyway yes, the meet-up was super awesome rad fun times. I highly recommend everyone comes to the next one. That said this one was very well attended.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

14. - Top - End - #554

Quote Originally Posted by Eldpollard View Post
    Hmm, if we keep alternating between north and south for each one then all the Northern ones will be in Winter, and all the Southern ones in Summer.
    Unless we switch it over by having one in the middle, from which we can go either direction. Or something.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Once upon a time" is on Amazon, if that helps anyone.

As regards the next meetup, my vote at this stage would be for Peterborough or Leicester area, relatively central/south(-ish).

16. - Top - End - #556

Thanks. I'm sorry I couldn't come, but it sounds as though you all had a good time. I still demand photos!
    Enough were taken - shame I forgot to bring my camera.

17. - Top - End - #557

BlackDragon

As regards the next meetup, my vote at this stage would be for Peterborough or Leicester area, relatively central/south(-ish).
    Sounds good to me, I have relatives in Northampton I can cadge a bed for the night from...

18. - Top - End - #558

Photos!

Spoiler
    Show
    First round of games:
    Spoiler
    Show

OotS game. Note that Durkon (Played by me), is already on level 3. I was the first to get to Xykon's lair, too. Unfortunately, since I had no-one to assist me, I couldn't beat Xykon, and the game dragged on. Also, we ran out of loot cards.
    Pictured: Tasroth, my two friends I invited.

The first photographic proof of the Catmuffin's attendance.
    Pictured: Castaras, Jibar.

Playing Space Munchkin I believe.
    Pictured: Kobold Bard, Randman, Irbis, KuReshtin, Crown of Thorns, Eldpollard.

Glug's Burning Wheel session, still fairly civil at this point.
    Pictured: Curly, Grlump, Fred, AE, Glug, Vampiric, Spanner, Hamish.

Baked goods stopped play:
    Spoiler
    Show

Second round, Nuclear War for all:
    Spoiler
    Show

Looking down the table at the 17-person game of Nuclear War. Early days, everyone is still alive.
    Pictured: Grlump, Fred, AE, Glug, Irbis, Spanner, Eldpollard, Cassie.

Check out Curly's awesome henna thing.
    Pictured: Curly.

Most people think nuclear conflict would be terrifying, but no, apparently, it's a bit boring.
    Pictured: Curly again.

The great god Jibar indicating His chosen target.
    Pictured: Jibbers, back of Ku's head.

Cassie declares her intentions in the form of a sketch.
    Pictured: Castaras, KuReshtin.

"AIM HERE"
    Pictured: Tasroth, Ku, Randman.

"I am the ghost of WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE and I approve of DESTROYING this man."
    Pictured: JibJab, Ku, Ghost of William Shakespeare.

Third round:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm guessing this was Puerto Rico.
    Pictured: Ku, Glug, AE, Grlump, Fred.

Munchkin Cthulhu.
    Pictured: Irbis, Vampiric, Hamish, Amy, Spanner, Eldpollard.

Cassie explains the rules of Once Upon A Time to us...
    (Pictured: Jibar, Tasroth, KB, Cassie, Randman, Curly. Other people in background)

..with hilarious results.
    Pictured: Big Mechanical Tree.

Group shot:
    Spoiler
    Show

Pictured (This should take a while): Vampiric, Kobold-bard, randman22222, Tasroth, hamishspence, Fifty-eyed Fred, Irbis, Jibar, Glug, Archonic Energy, KuReshtin, Crown of Thorns, Eldpollard, Thufir, Capt Spanner, CurlyKitGirl, Castaras.

Post-meetup at Spanner's.
    Spoiler
    Show

2/3 of the Waistcoat Brigade.
    Pictured: Me, Randman.

Behold! The Waistcoat Brigade!
    Pictured: Me, Jibbers, Randman.

Clearly the most sensible thing to do with a load of DVDs you've been taking off a spindle.
    Pictured: Curly, DVDs.

I have a few more on facebook, but that's most of them.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

19. - Top - End - #559

@ Thufir - Just seen the pics of the meetup on facebook - nice pics and shame I wasn't there for the group photo at the end...

20. - Top - End - #560

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    @ Thufir - Just seen the pics of the meetup on facebook - nice pics and shame I wasn't there for the group photo at the end...
    The timing of this post is truly uncanny. Ninja'd!
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

21. - Top - End - #561

You know thinking about it, Curly's wrath for my puns and me insulting Queen was fairly light. Clearly this means I have leave to insult Queen even more. I also have several months to think of new puns. Opportunities!
    But yes, we played lots of games and no one became board.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

You know thinking about it, Curly's wrath for my puns and me insulting Queen was fairly light. Clearly this means I have leave to insult Queen even more. I also have several months to think of new puns. Opportunities!
    No. More. Puns! My brain begs you
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Just had a long shower to recover from that weekend. Yes, it was a great one. And I still don't understand how you guys can think up puns so quickly. To be fair, I've never exactly tried...

Now... *Checks Amazon for that game.*

Oh! I'm also inkscaping my idea of what Big Mechanical Tree Brother looks like.
    This avatar by Phase.

24. - Top - End - #564

"Once upon a time" is on Amazon, if that helps anyone.

Sounds good to me.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #565

Leave the Queen, just do the puns.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Just catching up on forum threads after stepping inside the door.

Both randman and Irbis successfully deposited at their respective abodes.
    Roads were not bad at all, and the concentrated screen wash (wiper fluid for our American brethren) only froze for a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

27. - Top - End - #567

BardGuy

If meetup people want to add me on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/arkadye

28. - Top - End - #568

Been home for a couple of hours now.
    Thanks again to Fred for the lift down, I managed to find the way to the station (how did I not know how to walk to the train station in that town?) and catch a quick train down.

Favourite parts:
    Everything really.
    Especially the Burning Wheel game, and the duels of wits. And the poisoning plot. And the eventual result. And why it happened.
    And the Once Upon A Time games. Oh my lord. Evil gumbo possessed by the spirit of Bad Horse whose arch nemeis is an evil magical dog. Stupid mechanical trees which are computers - and sometimes keys - which plan to take over the world. The blacksmith.
    Iibbers cracked up laughing multiple times. And he took notes. Actually, we all cracked up laughing.
    Oh, and the pre- and post-official meetup meetups. Especially that which we should not mention.

By the way, I may try and do a full write-up of the Burning Wheel game tomorrow; but for the parts when I was away from the game table doing stuff could someone (an elf perhaps) write up what they talked about?

@photos: Hehe, I'm only pictured from the front in one of them. Although my hands got a lot of attention.
    The Waistcoat Brigade look exceptionally piffy, and the massive Nuclear Wars game is rather impressive looking.
    Cassie was not nuked by Ku. At all.

@everyone: I'm glad you enioyed the baked goods; although, again, there wasn't enough. And I had a bag full of things.
    Next time around, screw bringing sleeping bags, pyiamas and the like, I'm iust bringing baking.
    Lensman, I'm glad the muffin made it down safely.

re: next meetup: Peterborough/Leicestershire area sounds nice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm voting Brighton. City by the seaaaa!

The meetup sounded fun, CK!
    Also, man, I don't post here enough no more.

I just watched Toy Story 3. That film SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SO MOVING.

But it was.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Cassie was not nuked by Ku. At all.
    I blame the outside interference by Jibar, and the fact that everyone else in the game tried to nuke me first.

re: next meetup: Peterborough/Leicestershire area sounds nice.
    Nottingham would be good. Leicester acceptable. Much further south, and I'll be looking at a 6-7+ hour drive...

I thought Sheffield was very good.
    Venue was perfect. Great possibilities to arrange the tables as needed, quiet (no interference from intoxicated bystanders or people using the booked room as a shortcut) and, of course, Spanner managed to get it for free.
    I think this is by far the least expensive meetup for me to attend due to sharing petrol costs with Irbis and randman, and being able to crash at Spanner's place. And in this case, cheap is definitely good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.