New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default The Paragon, take 2

So I'm redoing my Con based warrior class, the paragon.

The paragon perfects his body via training, diet, and special exercises. Their organs strengthen to supernatural levels. Their toughness is incredible.

Adventure: Paragon adventure to experience events that hasten their training. They are often special agents of powerful beings serving as anything from assassins to most often bodyguards.

Characteristics: Paragons are often obsessed with their training. It sometimes matches a paladin's zeal. They are often seen performing dangerous and foolish action just to test their toughness. It's common to see a paragon mock a dragon breath attack or insult the mothers of all of a bar's patrons.

Races: Dwarves, halflings, and gnomes are most common races in paragon ranks. Dwarves revere a paragon's toughness. Halflings and gnomes see paragon's stunts as ways to reach their dangerous goals. Some human and half-orcs are curious enough of their potential to be paragon. Most other races lack the stomach and willpower to deal with paragon training.

Combat: Paragon usually take the role of bodyguard and defender. Their natural toughness makes them perfect for being a target. Some specialized and advanced paragons are great assassins of spellcasters. Their immunities and stunts can cause the first few spells to be wasted and get a surprise kill.

Paragon
    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|1st Paragon Stunt 2d6

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3| Endurance

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3| Diehard, Run

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|1st Immunity, 2nd Paragon Stunt 4d6

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4| Bodyguard

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|2nd Immunity

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|3rd Paragon Stunt 6d6

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|3rd Immunity

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6| Perfect Recovery

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|4th Immunity, 4th Paragon Stunt 8d6

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|5th Immunity

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|5th Paragon Stunt 10d6

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|6th Immunity

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9| Harden

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|7th Immunity, 6th Paragon Stunt 12d6

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|8th Immunity

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|7th Paragon Stunt 14d6

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|9th Immunity, Rebirth

[/table]
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: 1d12

Class Skills:
    Class Skills
    Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features

All of the following are Class Features of the paragon class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Paragons are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor, and with shields

Paragon Stunt (Ex)
    With proper training and diet, a paragon can enhance the strengths of different organs of her body and perform incredible feats. At the 1st level and every 3 levels thereafter, a paragon learns a new stunt. A paragon can perform a stunt as a standard action. She can perform a number of stunts per encounter equal to her Constitution modifier.

At the 1st level, a paragon’s stunts deal 2d6 damage if they deal damage. This damage increases by 2d6 every 3 levels. If a paragon stunt’s DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Con modifier if has one. Stunts with durations last a number of rounds equal to her class unless stated otherwise.

Endurance
    A paragon gains Endurance as a bonus feat at 2nd level.

Diehard
    A paragon gains Diehard as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Run
    A paragon gains Run as a bonus feat at 3rd level.

Immunity (Ex)
    At the 4th level, The paragon’s strengthened body becomes immune to certain conditions and magical effects, She choose one effect at 4th level and every 2 level thereafter. A paragon can choose to be immune to poisons, sleep effects, exhaustion, or nausea. At the 10th level, she can also choose to be immune to paralysis, petrification, stunning, death effects, necromancy effects and nonmagical diseases. At the 10th level, she can also choose to be immune to acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage. These immunities last as long as she has more than 50% of her maximum HP. The paragon can choose to selectively allow these powers, spells, or effects to affect her.

Bodyguard (Ex)

At the 5th level, the paragon can protect an adjacent ally who is targeted by a direct melee or ranged attack (but not an area effect). The paragon can subject him or herself to the attack in the ally's stead. If the attack hits the paragon, she takes damage normally. If it misses, it also misses the ally. Declaring the intention to protect an ally is a free action, but the paragon can only declare protection once per round on her turn. Once declared, the ally is protected from the next attack targeting them as long as he or she remain adjacent to the paragon.

Perfect Recovery (Ex)
    At the 9th level, whenever the paragon is healed damage, she is healed the maximum amount.

Harden (Ex)
    At the 15th level , the paragon can hold still and freeze, effectively petrifying herself. As move action, she can freeze in place. She is treated as a construct rather than whatever the paragon’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, she gain hardness equal to 20 plus her Constitution score. To move again, the paragon must take a full round reanimating her body. When hardened the paragon no longer ages and does not need to eat, sleep, nor breathe.

Rebirth (Ex)
    At 20th level, a paragon gains the ability to return from the dead. As an immediate action once per day, if she is dead, she is restored to life (as true resurrection). The paragon must choose to be be resurrected the moment she dies to use this ability.

She can set a place where she wants to be resurrected. (She must be standing in that place and leave a piece of herself there when she make the choice.) When she are resurrected, she can choose to be resurrected in the place she choose or in the place she died. If the part of herself that is left behind is destroyed, she cannot be reborn in that place.

Paragon Stunts

Attacks

Super Breath- The paragon can attack with a scouring blast of wind from her mouth, dealing bludgeoning damage in a 30-foot line. This breath attack counts as a strong wind. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

Acid Spit- The paragon can eject a blast of stomach acid from her mouth as a breath attack, dealing acid damage in a 20-foot line. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

Heated Grasp- The paragon raises the temperature of her hand and grabs an enemy to deal fire damage with a successful touch attack.

Chilled Grasp- The paragon lowers the temperature of her hand and grabs an enemy to deal cold damage with a successful touch attack.

Tremor- The paragon’s stomp can create a shockwave that travels along the ground in a 20 ft cone. The shock wave affects only creatures standing on the ground within the power’s area. Creatures that fail their Reflex saves are thrown to the ground, become prone, and take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Hair Whip- The paragon’s hair rapidity grows and is whipped at an enemy within 30 feet. Creatures that fail their Reflex saves are entangled, cannot move more 30 feet for the paragon, and take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The hair has 10 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action).

Hard Clap- The paragon's clap can create a sonic wave that travels along a 30 ft cone. Any creature within the area is deafened for 1d8 rounds and takes 1d6 points of sonic damage. A successful Fortitude save negates the deafness and reduces the damage by half.

Foul Odor- The paragon emits a stench that causes any creature adjacent to you to make a Fortitude save or become sickened for 1d4 rounds.

Electrochemical Bolt- The paragon may send a line of electricity arcing from her body at any single target within 30 feet. This bolt deals electricity damage; a Reflex save halves this damage.

Healing

Revitalization,- The paragon gain Fast Healing 2 for a number of rounds equal to her class level. At the level 10, the paragon gains Fast Healing 5.

Resurgence- The paragon is healed 1d8 HP damage and 1d4 ability score loss. At the 12th level, the paragon even regrows a severed extremity.

Healing Pheromone- The paragon emits a stench that heals adjacent living creatures. The scent cures 2 hit points of damage per level ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the Target: confused, dazed, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, nauseated, sickened, and stunned.

Instant Rest- The paragon rests for 2 days instantly and is healed 2 hit point per character level. The paragon must be in a prone position to rest this way and this action provokes an attack Of opportunity that foils the rest it hits.

Mind Rush- The paragon releases the limit on the nervous system, which makes information travel at a faster rate. This instantly foils the all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects affecting the paragon. It even foils limited wish, miracle, and wish spells when they are used in such a way as to affect the subject’s mind or to gain information about it.

Healing Breath- The paragon can fire with a nutrient rich gust of air from her mouth. Living creature that breathe gain 1 temporary hit point for every paragon level.

Enhancements

Perfect Sight- The paragon gains darkvision 30 ft or increased her existing darkvision by 30ft for a number of rounds equal to her class level. At the 9th level, the paragon can also see things as they really are as if she where under the true seeing spell.

Acrobatics- The paragon can move as if she were under the effects of the jump and spider climb spells for a number of rounds equal to her class level.

Glandular Strength- The paragon gain an alchemical bonus to Strength equal to her paragon level on her next turn.

Steel Skin- The paragon gains natural armor or an increase to the character’s existing natural armor (if any) equal to its Constitution modifier for a number of rounds equal to her class level.

Rubber Skin- The paragon becomes immune to electricity and bludgeoning damage for a number of rounds equal to her class level.

Slick Skin- The paragon gains a +10 competence bonus on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin and gains evasion for a number of rounds equal to her class level.

Energy Resistance- Gain resistance 10 to acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage for a number of rounds equal to her class level.

PEACH
    Last edited by Orzel; 2008-04-29 at 05:27 PM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Paragon, take 2

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Perfect Recovery (Ex)
    At the 9th level, whenever the paragon is healed damage, she is healed the maximum amount.

Super Breath- The paragon can attack with a scouring blast of wind from her mouth, dealing bludgeoning damage in a 30-foot line. This breath attack counts as a strong wind. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

Acid Spit- The paragon can eject a blast of stomach acid from her mouth as a breath attack, dealing acid damage in a 20-foot line. A successful Reflex save halves this damage.

Heated Grasp- The paragon raises the temperature of her hand and grabs an enemy to deal fire damage with a successful touch attack.

Chilled Grasp- The paragon lowers the temperature of her hand and grabs an enemy to deal cold damage with a successful touch attack.
    Brain Bolt- A paragon may send a line of electricity arcing from her body at any single target within 30 feet. This bolt deals electricity damage; a Reflex save halves this damage.

PEACH
    Can you explain and give the dies for these?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

neat job! the dice are listed on the class special colunm I'd play it. it looks balanced because of limited times you can use the powers but it sort of feels like you'll use up all your powers then just be a weaker fighter* and force the group to rest

* weaker fighter now thats saying something maybe I'm just being critical because I've designed a bunch of classes that use per encounter rules and classes that use health to cast spells (no spells per day) :) so you might want to take my comments with a grain of salt. Btw i'M adding this to my document with all the neat stuff I find on the forums congrats

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I may not know balance, but I know what I like! Ya, I'd play this too. I was actually thinking that/ encounter may be a bit much, but if Celtois thinks it is too little, then maybe you have it just right.
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

2 Pie Guy- The paragon develops complete control over his organs much like a monk and his spirituality. They can speed up the growth of their cells, raise and lower their body temperature, and supercharge the production of their glands.

Perfect Recovery- near perfect absorbing of divine healing energy.
    Super Breath- Very elastic lungs and flexible ribs.
    Acid Spit- Concentrated stomach acid and "yuckiness"
    Heated Grasp- a 500 degree fever only in your hand
    Chilled Grasp- the clammiest hand shake EVAR.
    Brain Bolt- You know how the electric signals that travel within the nervous system. Paragons can shot strong versions of them at people.

2 celtois and StoryKeeper- The stunts work much like a weak blaster sorcerers since 3.5E fights tend to last enough rounds that a paragon willl only do them about 5 or 6 times anyway.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

6. - Top - End - #6

Goblin

You might want to put prerequisites on some of those Stunts. The potential for True Seeing at 1st level (even for a short duration) is a bit scary.

Glandular Strength would be massive at high levels. +20 Str for two rounds, useable five or six times per encounter?

At first glance Harden looks useless for a 15th-level ability, but after a moment's thought I realise its uses are endless. Temporarily become a construct, and get high hardness to boot! Good for blocking passageways, driving enemy rogues insane (no Sneak Attacks on constructs), "disarming" traps, and paperweights. And I can just imagine a Paragon forgetting to Unharden and merely standing in a courtyard, perhaps mistaken for an old statue, for five thousand years.

Overall, I love it. I'd play it too.

edit: Almost forgot. Is Brain Bolt a ranged touch attack (maybe adjusted for heavy armour like Shocking Grasp is?), or auto-affect a single target, or a 'line' area-of-effect?
    Last edited by Naleh; 2008-04-12 at 05:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Naleh View Post
    You might want to put prerequisites on some of those Stunts. The potential for True Seeing at 1st level (even for a short duration) is a bit scary.

Glandular Strength would be massive at high levels. +20 Str for two rounds, useable five or six times per encounter?

At first glance Harden looks useless for a 15th-level ability, but after a moment's thought I realise its uses are endless. Temporarily become a construct, and get high hardness to boot! Good for blocking passageways, driving enemy rogues insane (no Sneak Attacks on constructs), "disarming" traps, and paperweights. And I can just imagine a Paragon forgetting to Unharden and merely standing in a courtyard, perhaps mistaken for an old statue, for five thousand years.

Overall, I love it. I'd play it too.

edit: Almost forgot. Is Brain Bolt a ranged touch attack (maybe adjusted for heavy armour like Shocking Grasp is?), or auto-affect a single target, or a 'line' area-of-effect?
    If a 1st level guy really needs True Seeing, he's going to die 'cause whatever he's looking at is probably too strong or not meant to be seen past.

Remember you waste the first of the two rounds of Glandular Strength preforming the stunt.

I had 2 ideas for high level paragons.

One of has a large best friend. He hardens and becomes the greatclub for a troll cleric.

Another grabs a powerful enemy, leaps into a volcano, and hardens. Being immune to fire damage and not aging, she lives inside the magma for hundreds of years 'til the thing erupts and ejects her.

Brain Bolt is a simple "lightning goes up, lightning goes down, roll Reflex" deal.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

8. - Top - End - #8

Revitalization can be really mean. Yeah, doesn't seem like much, but at the first levels, you're pretty much invulnerable, and at the higher ones it's a very nice accessory thing to have.

Also Glandular IS too strong. Gimme a Belt of Battle or a factotum and I'm gonna bork that ability, HARD. And you need to make some stunts have prerequisites, and expand the high level stunts, 'cause as is, glandular is just about the only really good high level one. Other than that, the class is pretty neat.

Also, I have a combat ability that lets you do a full attack + as many attacks as you can hit, which could be pretty nice as a capstone ability. Interested?

9. - Top - End - #9

again i still think the class abilities are strong but the no. of times is weak because when you play a good game of D&D I've had combats lasting for 10+ rounds because both sides where desperate for the advantage and where constantly fighting to survive sure there can only be so many of those but still it is in those fights the paragon will use up there #/Encounter

p.s i also thought it read per day not encounter but

sure those battles everyone will be desperate but the paragon feels like one of those classes that once you run out your screwed
    and whats with bodyguard it has almost nothing to do with the flavour of the rest of the class?

shields are the proficient with tower shields? you have to specify

3rd My major grip ok you have abilities that are non action oriented for your stunts just think about this a paragon who picks one of these first level is a just fighter without feats a class is supposed to be rewarding to play no matter what options you choose this just feels like if they pick those your telling them not to be so stupid and pick a damage dealing one next time because this feels like a class that relies on these abilities to do all the real damage so if i send one of my many low cr monsters that is resistant to the type of damage (yes I'm a jerk like that) the paragon has they are reduced to choosing swing or run so if your going to make a one trick pony don't and in addition a fair number of these are overpowered

ex. a)Perfect Sight- The paragon can see things as they really are as if she where under the true seeing spell. ok so I pick this first I have no combat abillity and a permanent level 7 spell and I can get this at first level What the heck again if it has a duration state it otherwise it is assumed to be permanent you say earlier that if it has a duration it is equal to level then put in the description that it has a duration

ex. B) Revitalization,- The paragon gain Fast Healing 5 you regain 5 hp every round! what more do I need to say at lower levels your almost unbeatable and at higher levels I'd kill for an item like that if it has a duration state it otherwise it is assumed to be permanent
    (you'd need two epic feats to gain replicate this ability)

ex. C) Resurgence- The paragon regrows a severed extremity and is healed 1d8 damage. again this is powerful regenerate is a 7th level spell for clerics 9th for druids and this is like a weaker version of it and not that much weaker you still replicate the major effect of it>

ex. d) Glandular Strength- The paragon gain an alchemical bonus to Strength equal to her paragon level for 2 rounds. ok 10th level paragon uses this gains +10 strength let me see thats +5 to hit +5 to damage sure its only for two rounds can you imagine the havoc you could wreck with that moving on

ex. e) this is the worst of all
    Steel Skin- The paragon gains natural armor or an increase to the character’s existing natural armor (if any) equal to its Constitution modifier

ok permanent bonus to nat armour equal to con bonus great a first level character (dwarf) has say 20 con so thats +5
    the equivalent to a 50,000 gp magic item and thats at first level imagine this with con boosts and items eeeekkk dms nightmare

but overall i still like this class but you may wish to consider the above its important thanks
    -celtois

10. - Top - End - #10

En shorte: Normal D&D battles are lucky to last five rounds. A paragon won't run out.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, shouldn't a paragon of human(oid) achievement have good Will saves? I mean, if they've trained their minds, bodies & souls to perfection, then I would think that good reflexes would be part of the package. Monk have all good saves for that exact same reason.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay, I'll put some prereqs on the powerful stunts. I'll expand them and add more too. (I gotta do something while I wait for the buzz to end).

I thought the buff stunts were balanced since all but GStrength lasted for a number of rounds equal to class level. So a 3rd level paragon with Revitalization heals 15 HP over 3 turns compared to 12HP avg on 1 turn for CMW.
    Last edited by Orzel; 2008-04-13 at 01:23 AM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I added more fluff and more stunts. I used One Piece and Naruto for some inspiration since those guys are "pretty tough".

I still need a 20th level capstone.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps The Ability To Become Invulnerable For Two Or Three Rounds As A Capstone?
    I Am Not Good At All At Homebrewing, So This May Be Terrible.
    Yup, I'm back

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Okay, I added a 20th level capstone. Is it too powerful?
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater