New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default any way let to delete/disable Cortana? (Windows OS)

A while ago I asked if there was a way to delete or deactivate Cortana, since after an update that was no longer an option for Windows 10. I think someone pointing me towards something with registry keys, but I lack the technical know-how to do that without risking screwing up a lot of stuff.

Anything new?
    I doubt Microsoft made it easier with the new update, but here's hoping.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: any way let to delete/disable Cortana? (Windows OS)

You can hide Cortana by just right-clicking the task bar and selecting Cortana->Hidden from the menu, but I don't know if that's sufficient for your purposes?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

You can completely disable it and a lot of other stuff through powershell run as admin. I did that and some other disable/deletions thar windows does not normally allow.

It is, in theory, possible to destroy a windows install through powershell hacking. So make a backup first (not just a restore point, a real backup), read the instructions all the way through, understand what you're doing on at least a theoretical level, wear a condom, etc. etc.

Do note that based on what you do it may also disable some of the store, automatic installs, remote desktop, and reporting functions. Whether or not this is good or bad will depend on how much responsibility you want to take for your computer.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You can hide Cortana by just right-clicking the task bar and selecting Cortana->Hidden from the menu, but I don't know if that's sufficient for your purposes?
    I have done that, but I mainly want to keep it from using it up system resources. I see it using part of it when I open Task Manager, and that bugs me. My computer is about 6 years old, and while it was decent for when it was built, I don't want Cortana draining memory, etc. now.

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    You can completely disable it and a lot of other stuff through powershell run as admin. I did that and some other disable/deletions thar windows does not normally allow.

It is, in theory, possible to destroy a windows install through powershell hacking. So make a backup first (not just a restore point, a real backup), read the instructions all the way through, understand what you're doing on at least a theoretical level, wear a condom, etc. etc.

Do note that based on what you do it may also disable some of the store, automatic installs, remote desktop, and reporting functions. Whether or not this is good or bad will depend on how much responsibility you want to take for your computer.
    If I used a powershell run to stop Cortana, would that impact automatic updates?
    I don't use the store, remote desktop, or (my to my knowledge) reporting functions (though I don't actually know what 'reporting functions' refers to.) Really, I want to deactivate any communication between my computer and the internet except for when I'm purposefully using the internet for browsing or Steam, while tolerating security updates and such. I don't like or use any Cloud resources, online store, or the Windows pre-installed apps to check weather and news and stuff.

I'm rather scared of trying a PowerShell thing, though, lest I screw up the computer. Similar to my fear of messing with registries.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, I'm on mobile so I can't run the search and give you the links, but go through the SpiceWorks forums. It's an IT professionals forum, you can find PS scripts and walkthroughs that work. There's at least one regular poster who actually works for MS and is both nice and knowlegable.

As I said, first perform a real, full backup, of your system. To CDs, clone the disk, save your data and make a recovery disk, whatever you prefer. What you want is prefectly doable and not really too hard if you have any programming/scripting knowledge. And because PS is pretty light you can pick up everything you need to know fairly easily, even without prior experience.

The backup is a good thing to do every 6 months to a year anyways. You probably need to do that anyways.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Two ways

1.) Download Winaero Tweaker and set it to disable cortana

2.) Kill the program in the task manager and then quickly, before it reloads, either rename the folder c:\windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw 5n1h2txyewy to something else or delete this folder.

Option 2 is what I did on my system. That said I still recommend downloading Winaero Tweaker because it does lots of useful stuff; it can disable telemetry, disable updates, etc etc.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-12-27 at 03:17 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Do any of these methods let the searchbox search only the computer files and not the internet, like all the old windows searchboxes? Because the internet search when I just want my files swept through is ****ing infuriating.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Do any of these methods let the searchbox search only the computer files and not the internet, like all the old windows searchboxes? Because the internet search when I just want my files swept through is ****ing infuriating.
    Winaero Tweaker has a disable-web-search function
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Winaero Tweaker has a disable-web-search function
    You are a beautiful person.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You are a beautiful person.
    I also send my thanks. I'll try to backup my computer this weekend, then install this and do some settings.