New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Melee sorceror

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Melee sorceror

So I had this strange thought: using sorcerous blade channelling, I can use ranged attacks at melee range without fear of retaliation, and dragon shaman has more than a few blasts that would be useful, as well as a crapton of powers that hurt people that hit you.

I understand that it's not very optimised (also heard that sorcerer is a weak class but that is neither here nor there), but can a melee/point-blank range sorcerer be done, and if so, how should it be done?, and what other feats should I have?
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Melee sorceror

It's pretty effective. Sorcerer has some powerful close burst style powers and there are a few particularly interesting powers, especially at lower levels. Lightning Cuts, for instance, is a level 3 melee weapon power which is also a minor action, akin to the Rogue's Low Slash. You'd obviously want to be a dagger sorcerer, and I'd recommend either Storm or Dragon magic.
    Ensorcelled blade is interesting, because it is a sorcerer at-will power which can be used 'in place of a melee basic attack'. This opens it up to some, but not all of the MBA optimisation - things which grant you melee basic attacks will be very useful, but things such as hybrid executioner will not give you a damage bonus, unlike, say, a Warlock's Eldritch Strike.
    Defensiveness is always going to be an issue, hence my recommendation to use Storm or Dragon magic depending on your preference for strength or dexterity. The White Lotus Riposte feats could also come in handy to keep you alive in melee, or give you some compensation if you do come under fire.
    If you don't mind using a lot of close-burst powers, especially at higher levels, a melee sorcerer is very workable, but if you prefer to use weapon powers, you might have to do some multiclassing. Rogues have some lovely off-action powers if you happen to be dex-based, as do rangers if you favour strength, and warlock powers will benefit from your sorcerer damage class feature.
    To my mind, playing a melee sorcerer gives you more opportunity to use some of the more powerful sorcerer powers, and it solves the primary problems with sorcerers - relatively low nova potential and an intensely boring playstyle. You still won't be dealing top-tier damage, and working in melee will hamper your ability to pretend to be a controller, but you will probably have much more fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I believe the Battle Hardened Feat would help. The conlock can function in melee and is also arcane. The swordmage can also be built into a striker. The bard, specifically the skald, can mix magic and melee up. Not saying they are better, but just other examples of melee arcane classes.

As for the sorcerer, it's not so much that it's weak as that it does have the level of support that the wizard has. The wizard has ludicrous support. These means the wizard has more options, so it has a better chance to take better powers. The sorcerer is still a good striker, even if the wizard can be a better one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    So I had this strange thought: using sorcerous blade channelling, I can use ranged attacks at melee range without fear of retaliation, and dragon shaman has more than a few blasts that would be useful, as well as a crapton of powers that hurt people that hit you.

I understand that it's not very optimised (also heard that sorcerer is a weak class but that is neither here nor there), but can a melee/point-blank range sorcerer be done, and if so, how should it be done?, and what other feats should I have?
    Sorcs are not weak just remember to take flame spiral as a power and NEVER trade it. That power is just too good. Most sorcs go with flame spiral, lightning cuts, and spark form as their 3 encounter powers (spark from may eventually be traded the other two stick around for nearly forever in almost every sorc build). Dailies are not that great but serviceable. The new elementalist can also be nasty but you do lose your daily powers (but more encounter and at will powers) so it is a trade.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not to mention the beauty of reinforcing Dragonfrost and Blazing Starfall for Dragon Magic sorcs :D

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I only have player's handbook 1, 2 and 3 only so dragon magic it is. Thanks for the advice!

Also, I couldn't care less about weapon damage as a sorceror, as 1d4 is abysmal. It's the damage of my powers that matters.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by surfarcher View Post
    Not to mention the beauty of reinforcing Dragonfrost and Blazing Starfall for Dragon Magic sorcs :D
    Mad typing blunder! I meant Burning Spray, of course.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorceror is not a weak class. It's very effective at it's job.

Having said that: Sorcerous Blade Channeling when combined with Dragonfrost (or the other ranged basic attack) just allows you to use a ranged basic attack in melee. It does not turn it into a melee basic attack. There is a big difference. (Notably if you have a Warlord with Commander's Strike in the party or you need to make an opportunity attack.)
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

That's fine, I mostly want it so I can say "I stab him and he explodes"

Also, I think I would prefer thundering steps to dragonfrost, as it means I can shift into and out of combat as I desire, as much as I like the idea of an at-will push.