New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help me build Alucard

Playing dnd with some friends on sunday and i need to create a character, I have been on a serious Castlevania binge lately and am addicted to the idea of playing as Alucard in dnd, I don't want to be a vampire though so if you guys have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. here are some things i know i want to be able to use but i have no idea how to incorporate them into dnd.

dark metamorphisis- gain hp as you come into contact with blood
    summon spirit- spirit floats around damaging enemies
    hellfire- shoot three fire balls
    soul steal- create a dark void and everyone inside of the void
    gets damaged while alucard heals 1 hp per enemy damaged this way
    can shapeshift into a wolf for a very limited time, can shape shift into a cloud of dust for a limited time
    has a familiar: choosable between a demon, a possessed sword, or a couple others that i have forgotten

that's all he gets in the games, but if you think some of it may be o.p. just let me know, im ok with not having some of them. thank you for anyone who helps me with this dilemma.

Playing Pokemon Y:
    Safari: Charmeleon, Magmar, and Braixen
    DS Friend Code: 3668-7804-7430

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Help me build Alucard

Quote Originally Posted by Tylorious View Post
    Playing dnd with some friends on sunday and i need to create a character, I have been on a serious Castlevania binge lately and am addicted to the idea of playing as Alucard in dnd, I don't want to be a vampire though so if you guys have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. here are some things i know i want to be able to use but i have no idea how to incorporate them into dnd.

can shapeshift into a wolf for a very limited time, can shape shift into a cloud of dust for a limited time
    has a familiar: choosable between a demon, a possessed sword, or a couple others that i have forgotten

that's all he gets in the games, but if you think some of it may be o.p. just let me know, im ok with not having some of them. thank you for anyone who helps me with this dilemma.
    It's not that it would be O.P. but I've never heard of anything that works like those things (though there's a lot of splatbooks so maybe someone with more knowledge can try). Except maybe scorching ray which can hit up to 3 targets but 3 AOE fireballs that hit a large area is unlikely.

An attempt:

A psion could maybe sorta refluff some of this stuff but you'd get some of it at higher levels...

Dark Metamorphosis: Hostile Empathic Transfer. It transfers damage from you to an enemy so you can maybe refluff it a bit and say you are sucking up the blood they left behind (it's really more like you're draining their blood with a touch though).

Summon Spirit: Energy Current. (Your summoned spirit that is summoned attacks those who harm you as the fluff).

Hellfire: Energy Ball. You can chuck 1 and maybe 2 with quicken power but I'm not sure how you'd get 3 off.

Soul Steal: Ectoplasmic Shambler This will create something that will harm those inside but it won't heal you. Metamorphosis will let you take on different forms but don't go in the shambler as it will hurt you too.

Familiar: Astral Construct. Refluff appearance however you want.

You'd need to use the "gimme powers that aren't on my list" feat a bit to do this though.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2013-04-05 at 06:45 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

3. - Top - End - #3

soul steal- create a dark void and everyone inside of the void gets damaged while alucard heals 1 hp per enemy damaged this way
    That's actually easily replicable with Profane Lifeleech, from Libris Mortis, but it strictly requires you to be able to rebuke undead, in favor of turning them.

Alucard's a good guy, right? That will definitely cause some problems.

4. - Top - End - #4

yeah he is a good guy, but he is a vampire, my character will most likely be a human...i will need to research psions a bit and check out what they can do...any other cool ideas?

Playing Pokemon Y:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    *snip*
    Why not just use the Erudite and use these abilities as required?
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Why not just use the Erudite and use these abilities as required?
    Erudite? What is that?

Playing Pokemon Y:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I believe Alucard was only a half-vampire (could be wrong, been awhile since I played SotN). Libris Mortis has a half-vampire template you may wanna check out, not nearly as powerful as a full vamp but a much lower LA as well.

8. - Top - End - #8

ok, i think i should be a bit more specific, i need more help with his spells and abilities because i want them to level up with me and scale nicely with my fellow players. when it comes to the race of my character, i will either run a human or a halfvampire (though if i choose half vamp, i will leave some stuff out due to being a bit overpowered).

Playing Pokemon Y:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Dark Metamorphosis- you could possibly do by being able to cast False Life and change the material component so it requires blood.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

This sounds a bit like a Soulspark Familiar (Magic of Incarnum).

11. - Top - End - #11

Psychic Warrior gives you some answers:

Skate: to simulate is backwards dash/moonwalk skill.
    Dimension Slide: to simulate the teleporting aspect of Hellfire.
    Vampiric Blade: to simulate dark metamorphosis

In addition to being able to use a wide range of weapons, armors, and shields. And that's just from the SRD. Maybe the other psionics books give you some other choices, be a good start.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrtt View Post
    Psychic Warrior gives you some answers:

Skate: to simulate is backwards dash/moonwalk skill.
    Dimension Slide: to simulate the teleporting aspect of Hellfire.
    Vampiric Blade: to simulate dark metamorphosis

In addition to being able to use a wide range of weapons, armors, and shields. And that's just from the SRD. Maybe the other psionics books give you some other choices, be a good start.
    thank you very much!!!

Playing Pokemon Y:

13. - Top - End - #13

You're welcome. Anytime for someone from Georgia. All other states need not apply :)

I know that psychic warrior doesn't really give you much in the way of shooting fireballs, summoning spirits, having a familiar, or shapechanging...but like I said, it could be a good start.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrtt View Post
    You're welcome. Anytime for someone from Georgia. All other states need not apply :)

I know that psychic warrior doesn't really give you much in the way of shooting fireballs, summoning spirits, having a familiar, or shapechanging...but like I said, it could be a good start.
    it's ok, i just fluffed his acid breath to be fire

also, can you help me with some equipment?

i need some medium armor, a nice sword and shield, and a badass looking cloak

Playing Pokemon Y:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

>Martial Spirit Stance, Gain 2 HP whenever you successfully strike an opponent, 1st level stance of the Devoted Spirit Martial School, available to Crusaders in the Tome of Battle.

>Undead Leadership, incorporeal cohort of your choice, use CR as ECL, grab a Specter or Dread Wraith or something. Alternatively, use a regular Ghost and then add Eidalon levels from Ghostwalk's Campiagn Setting.

>Maxmized Quicked Scorching Ray

>Profane Life-leach feat out of Libris Mortis, combined with Reaving Aura on a permanent magical item.

>The Vampire Template in Monster Manual 1 already does this.

>It also lets you summon creatures the same sort you can turn into, though your Cohort might help. Posessed sword, intelligent Dancing weapon. Demon, Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar, pick a demon to your liking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Alucard is clearly a mythic vampire gunslinger under Pathfinder rules. While this has no bearing on your question, I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Keneth View Post
    Alucard is clearly a mythic vampire gunslinger under Pathfinder rules. While this has no bearing on your question, I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
    Vampire
    Monster of Legend Template.
    Mysterious Stranger Gunslinger.
    2 levels of Antipaladin.
    1 dip in Spellslinger Wizard.
    Abyssal/Shadow Cross blooded Sorcerer.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Soul Steal = Empathic Transfer, Hostile (damage enemies, heals you a like amount) with the area-effect augment.

Hellfire is a teleport + nuke. Probably Linked Power Dimension Hop + Energy Ball

Summon Spirit = Magic Missile

Quatra Spirit = Magic Missile with a few extra CL thrown in.

Dark Metamorphosis = Vampiric Blade/Claw.

Shapeshifting = Polycheese. Dire Bat, Wolf (non-dire), and for cloud of gas, it's Etherealness.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

No one ever answered the "what is erudite" question.

It's an alternate psion class. Basically, if you take a level in erudite, you can never take a level in a regular psion build. Same goes the other way 'round.

Basically instead of choosing a psion discipline (mandatory. there is not "universalist") you, as an erudite, get automatic psicrystal affinity and you can learn an nearly unlimited number of powers. Regular psion from levels 1-20 only learns a Grand Total of 36 powers. Erudite gets 2 + his Int modifier powers at first level, 2 more at ever level up, and can learn powers from other psions or wilders AND power stones.

He can learn discipline powers from every discipline under the restriction that he can only learn those of a level lower than the highest he can manifest.

Erudite level 1 and 2 cannot learn discipline powers. Erudite 10 has access to normal 5ths and discipline 4ths. You'll never get access to 9ths without going epic and getting a homebrew epic feat. The other restriction is they can only be taught to you by psions, wilders, or power stones.

Erudite and the full list of abilities, rules, and restrictions can be found in the Complete Psionic.
    This signature intentionally left blank.

20. - Top - End - #20

thank you all very much, I played with my alucard build yesterday and i must say, it was a blast. I did what you guys said and went psion. But I gave him a total of about 8 powers and designated each power with a level 1 through 6, so he would gain powers as he levels and they would also get stronger. He is on a quest to find his sword (his little side-quest away from the rest of the group) and he is very fun to play.

His first level spells are slide and double jump.
    Slide- add 15 feet to speed, move around on ground like ice
    Double Jump- add 10 feet to max jump hight, add 10 feet to max fall hight without taking damage
    Summon Spirit -Spirit flies to a random enemy once per turn for two turns and deals 1d4 damage
    Hellfire-I can't remember exactly cuz i can't use it yet
    Mist Form- move 25ft + 5ft/2lvl without provoking an attack of opportunity
    Soul Steal- can't use it yet
    Dark metemorphisis- can't remember what i set up
    Wolf Form- I basically use this as my horse when my group travels, i also gave him some basic increases to certain skill rolls like listen, and survival.
    Dark Inferno- my best spell and have to be lvl16 to use it

I enjoy him very much but i was wondering if there is anything i can do to my summon spirit that will allow me to use it at later levels. It is a lvl 2 psion power and costs 2 points.

Playing Pokemon Y:

21. - Top - End - #21

ElfMonkGuy

thank you all very much, I played with my alucard build yesterday and i must say, it was a blast. I did what you guys said and went psion. But I gave him a total of about 8 powers and designated each power with a level 1 through 6, so he would gain powers as he levels and they would also get stronger. He is on a quest to find his sword (his little side-quest away from the rest of the group) and he is very fun to play.

His first level spells are slide and double jump.
    Slide- add 15 feet to speed, move around on ground like ice
    Double Jump- add 10 feet to max jump hight, add 10 feet to max fall hight without taking damage
    Summon Spirit -Spirit flies to a random enemy once per turn for two turns and deals 1d4 damage
    Hellfire-I can't remember exactly cuz i can't use it yet
    Mist Form- move 25ft + 5ft/2lvl without provoking an attack of opportunity
    Soul Steal- can't use it yet
    Dark metemorphisis- can't remember what i set up
    Wolf Form- I basically use this as my horse when my group travels, i also gave him some basic increases to certain skill rolls like listen, and survival.
    Dark Inferno- my best spell and have to be lvl16 to use it

I enjoy him very much but i was wondering if there is anything i can do to my summon spirit that will allow me to use it at later levels. It is a lvl 2 psion power and costs 2 points.
    Aw shiz... No one told you about the spell to power Erudite in time!!!
    (Erudite, but gives up a bonus feat to learn how to manifest spells. Best Caster in the game.)

Anyhow, what are you using for Summon spirit?
    You CAN'T use magic missile with a psion without actually BEING a spell to power erudite, so it would have to be energy missile, am I right?

If so, you can augment it.
    Augmenting is burning extra Power Points for the manifested power to grant certain bonuses, like increase in damage.
    If I am right, energy missile grants extra missiles with augmentation.
    Check the SRD to be sure.

If you don't understand Psionics, just do some research on the SRD. It's a fun and flexible mechanic.

EDIT:
    Didn't see that it was a custom power.
    In that case Have Summon spirit last one extra round for every point spent after augmenting, and one extra sprite come out for every 3 points spent.
    Last edited by DMVerdandi; 2013-04-08 at 07:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    In that case Have Summon spirit last one extra round for every point spent after augmenting, and one extra sprite come out for every 3 points spent.
    Amazing idea, thank you very much friend

Playing Pokemon Y:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    Aw shiz... No one told you about the spell to power Erudite in time!!!
    (Erudite, but gives up a bonus feat to learn how to manifest spells. Best Caster in the game.)

Anyhow, what are you using for Summon spirit?
    You CAN'T use magic missile with a psion without actually BEING a spell to power erudite, so it would have to be energy missile, am I right?

If so, you can augment it.
    Augmenting is burning extra Power Points for the manifested power to grant certain bonuses, like increase in damage.
    If I am right, energy missile grants extra missiles with augmentation.
    Check the SRD to be sure.

If you don't understand Psionics, just do some research on the SRD. It's a fun and flexible mechanic.

EDIT:
    To be fair, Spell to Powet Erudite it borked out the wazoo. I think he can deal without it.
    I personally would've recommended Ardent instead of Psiwar, but they both work for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.