New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1180 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The Godsmoot started two days after the on the winter solstice.

EDIT: On reflection, I think Veldrina means the Godsmoot was on the winter solstice and it'd taken two of the three days' notice to get as far as Tinkertown.
    That one. No way I'd have remembered the exact strip w/o the OOTS Wiki at Fandom. https://oots.fandom.com/wiki/The_Soul_of_Discretion

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I love Minrah, but her alone with a vampire running around the Firmament...

it can literally not go down too well.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I love Minrah, but her alone with a vampire running around the Firmament...

it can literally not go down too well.
    I’m rolling the d20 for WMG and I got that she runs into Sabine, so IDK, also the vampire and her are the same level a pretty fair fight.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Not really about your quote, though it is nice to see Roy learning from the talents of his other party members, but I had a question about your sig, and Belkar's upcoming death.

Does the calendar in Stickworld resemble the calendar on Earth? I.e., is the Winter Solstice there also 9-10 days from the New Year? If so, if the Godsmoot was on the Solstice, doesn't that mean Belkar's got 8-9 comic days left, max?

Which will likely only elapse at the very end of the whole OOTS saga, but that's still shorter than 20-ish days to go.
    The short answer is that since Roy pointed out he has no more than 7 weeks left, It has been 28 days. So he has up to 21 left. I'd have to go digging in Giant quotes, but he said that the Oracle was using the Southern God's calendar. That keeps it from being limited to just the 11 days from the 22nd of December to New years. As an aside, Remember the great hall where they fought Durkon* was closed because it was Tuesday. The owner's were Odin Worshipers after all. All that being said, he does have a bout a 50% chance left to die before either new years day at this point. And on a fun mostly not canon bit, the splat book extras from the DStP PDF give a reason as to why Oots uses the real world days of the weeks and months of the year. Though nothing really disagrees with it.

edit: Hey thanks comment Index! What he said.

Though I am going to have a devil of a time keeping it up to date once this book ends.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2019-09-16 at 03:55 PM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

So this is 1180 +1, so does it mean this is #1180 or is it #1181?!
    SO MANY QUESTIONS!
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-09-16 at 03:58 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #126

Really, do that many of you not look at the titles?

7. - Top - End - #127

Minrah could also be there because Curly would be capable if recognizing her, and possibly confusing her for Loki’s cleric.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Regenerate the arm Durkon!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    And hit by Mass Inflict Serious Wounds, and sporting a wound from an off-panel injury, and stabbed by Belkar, and stabbed multiple times by Belkar off-panel before being stabbed again by Belkar.
    I'm sorry but I still don't see how that translates to lasting more than two seconds once Meteor Swarm and Destruction spells start coming in hard. Also she's lost a level since then.

Like I said prior, I like Minrah, not trying to say you shouldn't. But I just don't see yet what she adds to the story.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out which of Minrah, the Order, the comic, and/or the beer have just gained an enhancement bonus....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #131

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's a good point. Though it would be kind of funny if she got got by the vampire and the next strip was titled "-1."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

Keep in mind that the vampires lack Protection from Sunlight now. If she did get bitten, she has no reasonable way to hide it (even Greg couldn't hide it; he relied on them not knowing how vampires worked, which obviously isn't gonna fly anymore.)

In fact, the vampires don't even have any way to speed up turning someone into a vampire anymore - it takes three days. So if that happened, she just wouldn't come back in time.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Awwww... I would actually call that Roy and Belkar bonding! ;)

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Someone probably already said that, but Roy and company really deserved some time off. Also, being in dwarven lands and not try the lockal beer? I would never waste such an opportunity.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

15. - Top - End - #135

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm really curious if the rest of the Order know Durkon's mission is to make contact with Redcloak.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, and Curly has also been very effectively characterized as a massive coward, and she knows Minrah was the one who took out Sandy, a higher level vampire cleric.

Minrah would probably be able to handle Curly on her own, there's still 6 high level adventurers hanging about, and the entire city of Firmament is on lookout for Curly. Curly is going to want to keep her head down and prevent herself from being staked.

Additionally, I don't see what the point of Minrah getting turned or killed before the end of this book would be. We're wrapping the book up right now, there's like maybe 5 strips left? Minrah getting abruptly killed by a vampire at the end of this book would just be a downer, and I don't see what that would set-up for the next book.
    Last edited by BasiliskSoldier; 2019-09-16 at 05:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I like this whole "Roy listens to Belkar" thing. I might even be sad for him when the prophecy's fulfilled, depending.

I figured Minrah's time with the Order was up, but I'm definitely not complaining.

18. - Top - End - #138

Was I actually the only one who thought Minrah was coming along? Because it sounds like I was the only one (and I think that I might want to change my signature then).
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #139
    Halfling in the Playground

Minrah's coming along, yay! I don't know what she'll add vis a vis the team dynamic, but me being unable to figure the future of a story out for me isn't a reason to criticise, but instead a source of excitement as I itch for the creator to reveal their plans - providing I have faith in the creator, and in this case I do, lots. Can't wait, the Giant.

Considering her role plot-wise, I think having a cleric around who isn't infected with sphinx pox will be quite useful when the infected start to sucumb.

And as to her other acomplishments, even the smallest and powerleast of creatures can accomplish great things and change the world. That's what Lord of the Rings and Avengers: Endgame taught me, anyway. And her importance to the story will be clear when the Giant reveals to all as he has to me in my dreams that Minrah is
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Right-Eye's daughter.

And I bet five quatloos against her being unceremoniously killed off after literally turning down Valhalla. Though she might interact with Hilgaya and Curly.

20. - Top - End - #140

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    (Bolding mine)
    ...No, she explicitly said, in the memory explaining why Durkon became a Cleric, that Clerics who can cast Regeneration are rare enough that at the time, Odin's High Priest was the only Dwarf who could cast the spell. Durkon becoming a Cleric so he could cast the spell himself was, in Durkon's eyes at least, the most reasonable course of action to getting her a Regeneration.
    Sigdi had the money, she could have gone to the high priest.

She doesn't, and explains why here.

There is no chance of her willfully replacing that arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    Sigdi had the money, she could have gone to the high priest.

She doesn't, and explains why here.

There is no chance of her willfully replacing that arm.
    She explains that it would have been selfish of her to spend the money on regenerating her arm rather than saving five souls. That is not a concern if Durkon is casting the spell for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hekko View Post
    Vaarsuvius can already see that and disapproves.
    I don't think Vaarsuvius disapproves so much as they are surprised; Roy is usually the highly responsible member of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I'm really curious if the rest of the Order know Durkon's mission is to make contact with Redcloak.
    Why wouldn't he tell them?

Quote Originally Posted by Canisius View Post
    Yes on the air travel connection. If I've gotta waste time in an airport between flights, you know I'm gonna locate the nearest beer.
    Last time I was in the Denver airport (which I was a lot for about six months there) they had a special at the Great Divide bar where you got like a $2 shot if you bought a beer, or maybe it was 2-for-1 shots, or something. The liquor options weren't bad, either.

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    I'm sorry but I still don't see how that translates to lasting more than two seconds once Meteor Swarm and Destruction spells start coming in hard. Also she's lost a level since then.

Like I said prior, I like Minrah, not trying to say you shouldn't. But I just don't see yet what she adds to the story.
    I don't see what she adds to the party, but I can certainly see her adding to the story. She's got a pretty distinct personality that's odd in a way that doesn't really duplicate any of the Order's oddness. She can back up Durkon's story and meeting with Thor (probably more important for Redcloak than the rest of the Order, but nonetheless).

There's also this:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I was starting it now without any preconceptions but knowing everything I know now? I would probably include at least one more woman. I can't imagine ditching any of them, however, so I don't know how that would work out with seven main characters.
    Maybe he wants to give the party a little more gender balance and/or see how seven works. Or maybe this is misdirection and Minrah kills Curly next strip and realizes she has to stay in Dwarven lands and protect everyone.

I'll admit I didn't think Minrah was going to come along and I was a little surprised that she did. But the more I think about it, the more it seems like the Order is going to have an "all hands on deck" situation for the final confrontation, with as many allies as possible. O-Chul and Lien are already there; I wouldn't be surprised if Hinjo headed northward and brought anyone who might be useful, too.

Spoiler: War and XPs bonus content, I think
    Show
    There has been some debate over whether Belkar has saved Hinjo's life twice, hasn't there? He's definitely saved Hinjo at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Someone probably already said that, but Roy and company really deserved some time off. Also, being in dwarven lands and not try the lockal beer? I would never waste such an opportunity.
    Right? Speaking of which, I wonder if liquor is considered some kind of sin or Evil beverage in Dwarven Lands. "Och, ye haf perfectly good beer brewed for ye, bless'd by the Gods, and ye go an' distill it? Blasphemy!"

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    She explains that it would have been selfish of her to spend the money on regenerating her arm rather than saving five souls. That is not a concern if Durkon is casting the spell for her.
    I don't think you are putting enough weight on her statement 'I never let go'.

Her arm is still a part of her, it is holding on to the man she loves.

To regenerate her arm is to take it from her husband and return it to her flesh; which is something she will not do.
    Quote Originally Posted by kamap View Post
    Also don't try to bring logic into the argument it has left the building ages ago since magic made its appearance.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    If only they had a cleric with them.

I get you have other objections, but dismissive comments like this one:

Being taken out by a stray shot from Hilgya

kinda bug me when they're not an accurate summary of events.

Considering your other comments included these lines:

She's spunky and cute. She was a good foil for Durkon and Thor in the afterlife

spunky girl jokes = Haley

I don't think she and Durkon are going to end up dating

it does call into question what your expectations are for female characters and what they contribute to a story.
    Last edited by Sky_Schemer; 2019-09-16 at 06:21 PM.
    If you can read this you are too close.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Leave it to the party member with ranks in Profession (Gourmet Chef) to be adamant about not leaving the Dwarven Lands without trying a genuine Dwarven Ale. It would be a crime, and not the fun kind of crime for Belkar, to leave without at least getting one mug of it first.

25. - Top - End - #145

WolfInSheepsClothing

I definitely think Durkon would tell everyone. I am not sure whether or not that conversation would happen offscreen, since I think many of the other characters would be surprised by it. I think all the other members of the Order would have something to say about the fact that there have been many other worlds and also have something to say about being told that they need to negotiate with one of the villains they've been fighting for a long time.

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    I definitely think Durkon would tell everyone. I am not sure whether or not that conversation would happen offscreen, since I think many of the other characters would be surprised by it. I think all the other members of the Order would have something to say about the fact that there have been many other worlds and also have something to say about being told that they need to negotiate with one of the villains they've been fighting for a long time.
    We also have the IFCC and minions watching them (and probably Eugene too), and I imagine they'd have a pretty serious reaction to that.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Her amputated hand is holding his *corpse's* hand.

If you think he's walking around Valhalla with a severed arm... I believe the phrase is "ewww", sir. Rather more in the direction of "gross" than "romantic".
    Reminiscent of Tom Lehrer's "I Hold Your Hand in Mine".

I don't think Minrah is going to get held up much while she's out grabbing/dealing with her stuff. Notwithstanding that she's been given a hard deadline, if she were to not show up, there would be delays -- free actions, but taking pages -- while people discussed it.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2019-09-16 at 06:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    I don't think you are putting enough weight on her statement 'I never let go'.

Her arm is still a part of her, it is holding on to the man she loves.

To regenerate her arm is to take it from her husband and return it to her flesh; which is something she will not do.
    Her statement is also because she's angry at Durkon for assuming it was easy for her.

As far as bolded: I mean, not literally. But if we're speaking metaphorically-- I've already said I think Sigdi is practical, not sentimental, so an argument that she's more sentimental than practical isn't going to sway my mind. And I think it would be a disappointing denial for Durkon of a goal he's had most of his life to be denied it out of sentimentality.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Her statement is also because she's angry at Durkon for assuming it was easy for her.

As far as bolded: I mean, not literally. But if we're speaking metaphorically-- I've already said I think Sigdi is practical, not sentimental, so an argument that she's more sentimental than practical isn't going to sway my mind. And I think it would be a disappointing denial for Durkon of a goal he's had most of his life to be denied it out of sentimentality.
    Yeah, while Sigdi has been shown to have trouble accepting help from others without giving some form of repayment, she's also been shown accepting it. Namely, that memory wherein her friend gave her a new dress to wear for Durkon's initiation ceremony as a Cleric of Thor.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    Yeah, while Sigdi has been shown to have trouble accepting help from others without giving some form of repayment, she's also been shown accepting it. Namely, that memory wherein her friend gave her a new dress to wear for Durkon's initiation ceremony as a Cleric of Thor.
    And if anyone is going to be demand that Sigdi accept something from him without repayment necessary, I imagine it would be Durkon. "It's for years of raisin' me, Ma. Plus a gift since I've been away for twenty years."