New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Persistant spell question

I was wondering two questions. The first, would Persistant Spell be worth a feat if instead of setting a spell's duration to 24hrs, it moved it to the next duration increment? (1Rnd=1rnd/lvl, 1rnd/lvl=1min/lvl, 1min/lvl=10min/lvl, 10min/lvl=1hr/lvl 1hr/lvl=24hr) The second being, what would a fair metamagic adjustment be for the modified duration increase?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Persistant spell question

Probably not at the current adjustment. Maybe at some different one. +6 without mitigation is kinda a lot for what you get as is.
    Last edited by eggynack; 2014-02-07 at 09:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    I was wondering two questions. The first, would Persistant Spell be worth a feat if instead of setting a spell's duration to 24hrs, it moved it to the next duration increment? (1Rnd=1rnd/lvl, 1rnd/lvl=1min/lvl, 1min/lvl=10min/lvl, 10min/lvl=1hr/lvl 1hr/lvl=24hr) The second being, what would a fair metamagic adjustment be for the modified duration increase?
    It would not be worth it... as most of the persistable stuff that matters is rd/lvl for obvious reasons...

my 2 copper.
    <Insert funny quote from another poster here>
    I should probably get a better sig... ><

Hellfire Warlock/Eldritch Disciple:
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Feel the infernal power of POSITIVE ENERGY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

+1 maybe +2 but no more than that. If you look at the swift versions of some spells its really falls into line. But yea not very worth it.
    Last edited by Callin; 2014-02-07 at 09:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking of around +3 myself. Extend already doubles the duration for only a +1. In most cases this is multiplying the duration by tenfold. I agree that it would not be +6, but I was thinking +3 or +4 is reasonable.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'd say +2, especially if there's no impact on 24 hour duration spells. One of the best parts of extend is being able to make 24 hour spells into crazy two day spells, and being able to make hours/level spells last all day. This doesn't do those things all that much better, and might do them worse. It does some things better, but I don't think it's enough better to justify a +3.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    I'd say +2, especially if there's no impact on 24 hour duration spells. One of the best parts of extend is being able to make 24 hour spells into crazy two day spells, and being able to make hours/level spells last all day. This doesn't do those things all that much better, and might do them worse. It does some things better, but I don't think it's enough better to justify a +3.
    What if instead of 1 hour/level increasing to a flat 24 hours, 1 hour/level increased to 24 hours/level. There are spells out there that have 24 hours/level duration after all, ironwood is the most memorable core example i can think of.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    What if instead of 1 hour/level increasing to a flat 24 hours, 1 hour/level increased to 24 hours/level. There are spells out there that have 24 hours/level duration after all, ironwood is the most memorable core example i can think of.
    That'd be pretty wonky, but yeah, it'd likely justify a +3. You'd basically be getting all of those hours/level spells for free, except a few levels later. You can get pretty much the same effect with this as a +2 and combining it with extend though. 48 hours is a crazy break point for this kinda thing.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

TuggyNE made this some time ago.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    TuggyNE made this some time ago.
    You beat me to posting that.

But yes, I think that homebrew is a superior option to regular Persistent Spell, being at once less costly without mitigation, and less obnoxiously powerful with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Nooo. Not 1 day/level! That makes it possible to get all your buffs up and have a full contingent of utility/combat spells loaded each day you plan to be doing stuff. The 48 hour thing is already problematic in my mind; eggy even mentioned how strong that can be. Day/level is madness, especially for some things that might be stackable (like Extended Persisted Elemental Swarm, if we accept that that were possible). You get your elementals out for 2hrs/level, a minimum of 34 hours, meaning you can get one whole day's worth of 9ths summoned and still have the next days 9ths for other stuff. This is a terrible spell as an example, but take it for granted that something much, much more exploitable is out there.

There is a spell from Dragon Magazine, elemental guardian, that summons a lesser elemental weird (also from Dragon Magazine) for 1 day/level, and binds it to an area. 4th druid/5th cleric/5th sorcere and wizard spell level. This gets stupid, as you can, given a fairly short period, bind dozens of these creatures to a fixed area. Of limited utility for offense, but it offers a huge defensive advantage whenever the characters know of a threat in advance, at minimal downtime cost.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I had no intention of days/level. It capped at turning hr/lvl spells to a flat 24hr duration. So for example out of a 4th lvl slot a wizard would throw up Mage Armor and instead of lasting 7hrs (CL 7 minimum to cast 4th lvl spells (without shenanigans)) it would last 24hrs.

*I know that is not an optimum spell or example, but it is an example*

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Nooo. Not 1 day/level! That makes it possible to get all your buffs up and have a full contingent of utility/combat spells loaded each day you plan to be doing stuff. The 48 hour thing is already problematic in my mind; eggy even mentioned how strong that can be. Day/level is madness, especially for some things that might be stackable (like Extended Persisted Elemental Swarm, if we accept that that were possible). You get your elementals out for 2hrs/level, a minimum of 34 hours, meaning you can get one whole day's worth of 9ths summoned and still have the next days 9ths for other stuff. This is a terrible spell as an example, but take it for granted that something much, much more exploitable is out there.

There is a spell from Dragon Magazine, elemental guardian, that summons a lesser elemental weird (also from Dragon Magazine) for 1 day/level, and binds it to an area. 4th druid/5th cleric/5th sorcere and wizard spell level. This gets stupid, as you can, given a fairly short period, bind dozens of these creatures to a fixed area. Of limited utility for offense, but it offers a huge defensive advantage whenever the characters know of a threat in advance, at minimal downtime cost.
    Response, so as not to clutter this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity