New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]The Planeswalker (WIP, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback (I'm not sure you'll see this, but thanks nonetheless). This is something I'm strongly considering because it's just good for my sanity...how does this look as a tentative list?

Spell lists: Planeswalkers pull from a vast array of magical backgrounds, giving them untold flexibility in terms of spellcasting prowess. Certain sources of spellcasting are considered aligned with a color, and dictate spells known in the way indicated in the original table. If a spell appears on more than one list (for example, Invisibility is accessible to Black, Blue, and Red mages) the player must declare which "color" the spell is aligned with when it is learned.

WHITE: Spells from the Cleric spell list and Paladin spell list, as well as all Abjuration spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, are considered to be "white" spells.

BLUE: Abjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Illusion, and Transmutation spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, as well as all Teleportation effects, are considered to be "blue" spells.

BLACK: Spells from the Cleric spell list and Assassin spell list, as well as Necromancy spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, are considered to be "black" spells.

RED: Spells from the Bard spell list, as well as Conjuration, Evocation, and Transmutation spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, are considered to be red spells. Any spell with the [Fire], [Electric], [Sonic], or [Cold]
    This works pretty well, but you might want to be more specific on a few of them. For example, under these classifications, Blasphemy is a White Spell. And Holy Word is a black spell. And Death Ward, something that sounds more like White, is a Black Spell that White does not have. Still, I can understand concessions like that for the sake of sanity.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Done! I'll be adding some planeswalker-centric ACFs, feats, items, and sample characters to my reserved post in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post
    I really like it from what I've seen, I only have one question (not even an important one) Why did you pick Jaya Ballard over Chandra Nalaar for the red planeswalker? Not that its a big issue, I was just curious.
    Mostly because that quote is my favorite red mage quote ever, and I didn't want a Jaya quote with a picture of Chandra above it . I imagine Mrs. Chandra might show up in my as-yet unused reserve post, perhaps as a sample Planeswalker .

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    This works pretty well, but you might want to be more specific on a few of them. For example, under these classifications, Blasphemy is a White Spell. And Holy Word is a black spell. And Death Ward, something that sounds more like White, is a Black Spell that White does not have. Still, I can understand concessions like that for the sake of sanity.
    I'm pretty sure White can have Death Ward. There are some snafus with the system and I've saved the "old" way in case I'm persuaded (either by people here or my own musings) to go back. For the time being, I made White "non-evil Cleric spells" and Black "non-good Cleric spells".

As a note that I'll also be adding to the OP, this alignment restriction is not meant to insinuate that that White can't be evil or Black can't be good. There is no alignment restriction on the class at this time. These descriptors are simply meant to show off a type of magic that some colors can't use, regardless of character alignment. That being said, I'm interested for lots of feedback on this new spell system.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Done! I'll be adding some planeswalker-centric ACFs, feats, items, and sample characters to my reserved post in the coming days.

Mostly because that quote is my favorite red mage quote ever, and I didn't want a Jaya quote with a picture of Chandra above it . I imagine Mrs. Chandra might show up in my as-yet unused reserve post, perhaps as a sample Planeswalker .

I'm pretty sure White can have Death Ward. There are some snafus with the system and I've saved the "old" way in case I'm persuaded (either by people here or my own musings) to go back. For the time being, I made White "non-evil Cleric spells" and Black "non-good Cleric spells".

As a note that I'll also be adding to the OP, this alignment restriction is not meant to insinuate that that White can't be evil or Black can't be good. There is no alignment restriction on the class at this time. These descriptors are simply meant to show off a type of magic that some colors can't use, regardless of character alignment. That being said, I'm interested for lots of feedback on this new spell system.
    Yeah, that was kinda silly of me, forgetting that Death Ward was a Cleric Spell. I was mistaking it for Death Knell, which is definitely Black.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

4. - Top - End - #34

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    Yeah, that was kinda silly of me, forgetting that Death Ward was a Cleric Spell. I was mistaking it for Death Knell, which is definitely Black.
    No worries. Does this new spellcasting seem like a good idea, or is it too overwhelmingly confusing/overpowered? I'm finding myself somewhat blown away trying to create sample planeswalkers, but perhaps that's because I'm statting out Nicol Bolas .

Also, sidenote, how does one edit the thread title? It's bugging me that it still says WIP.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Go to your orginal post, hit edit, change the title and: it is done
    MooseyMooseITP

Current Avi: By Dirtytabs.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

Hey awesome work!
    Yeah, definitely loving how you worked all that. My only current curiosity is with a Red 'Walker:
    Spells:
    The following are considered Red spells:
    Any spell with the [Fire], [Cold], [Electricity], or [Sonic] descriptor
    Would this extend to other damaging spells if the feat Energy Substitution [C.Arc 79] was taken?
    Last edited by ZaneLaCoix; 2011-05-05 at 04:34 AM.
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneLaCoix View Post
    Hey awesome work!
    Yeah, definitely loving how you worked all that. My only current curiosity is with a Red 'Walker:
    Spells:

Would this extend to other damaging spells if the feat Energy Substitution [C.Arc 79] was taken?
    Thanks . I'm not sure I can give a RAW answer to the question that is perfect, but my gut would say no. Energy Substitution is a Metamagic feat that has a +0 cost, changing an energy type of an existing spell to a new type. This is not changing that spell for the character forever, though: you still know Fireball and can just choose to make it Acidball at will. But when learning the spell, the book says its Fireball and is a [Fire] effect.

RAI is another matter though, as I hadn't really thought about it. Out of curiosity, are there any spells you can think of that Red can't currently access that this would allow them to access if it worked the other way? The only one I can think of is Explosive Runes; a sad loss but not an unbearable one. If there ended up being a ton of spells that seem like they should be Red but that Red can't access now, I'd need to do some changing somewhere.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind if i link/endorse this as a perfect addition/backbone to a campaign i'm working on?

Not only is it really useful for getting into the setting and would be only mildly hampered by the setting's limited magic [it's not expected that the setting be used for full campaigns so much as interesting asides...at least in D&D form]
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

For a first homebrew, this is amazing. Seriously, well done! I have yet to read through most things in detail, but from what I see you have mostly succeeded in doing what you set out to do. I've shown this to a player of mine and she is very excited to try out this class in our next campaign.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Mind if i link/endorse this as a perfect addition/backbone to a campaign i'm working on?

Not only is it really useful for getting into the setting and would be only mildly hampered by the setting's limited magic [it's not expected that the setting be used for full campaigns so much as interesting asides...at least in D&D form]
    Go right ahead. I'd be honored .

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    For a first homebrew, this is amazing. Seriously, well done! I have yet to read through most things in detail, but from what I see you have mostly succeeded in doing what you set out to do. I've shown this to a player of mine and she is very excited to try out this class in our next campaign.
    . Thank you! If she does end up trying it out you'll have to let me know how it goes. I'm interested to see if this class remains solidly tier 3, or if all the bells and whistles have shot it to low tier 2.

============
    Check the second post for planeswalker feats! I'm really debating Extra Boon, as it seems like it'll be too much of a "well, duh" feat. Thoughts on them in general, and that one in particular?

11. - Top - End - #41

This looks like a lot of fun, captured the flavor pretty well, good work!

EDIT: on tier, this does seem to be more powerful than most of the tier 3 classes, but I'm pretty sure a sorcerer could beat one on average, but that is simply because the ONLY way you gave the planeswalker 9th lvl spells is through a boon, not that this is bad, but it means that the tier 2 classes will likely beat it most every time (excluding UMD abuse, which is always fun )
    Last edited by nhbdy; 2011-05-11 at 10:09 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    This looks like a lot of fun, captured the flavor pretty well, good work!

EDIT: on tier, this does seem to be more powerful than most of the tier 3 classes, but I'm pretty sure a sorcerer could beat one on average, but that is simply because the ONLY way you gave the planeswalker 9th lvl spells is through a boon, not that this is bad, but it means that the tier 2 classes will likely beat it most every time (excluding UMD abuse, which is always fun )
    Thanks! I don't know if it's fair to say I was "afraid" of that, since I saw it coming when I chose to give up and do the spell list in an "anything goes" sort of fashion. That puts them in an odd spot...

- On the one hand, they are possibly the most diverse base class in the game. You can do almost any character concept with them, and a party of just Planeswalkers would probably be just fine (a bit squishy, but otherwise fine). Like Archivists, they can potentially learn every spell in the entire game if they want it, and they begin play with a (nerfed) version of an exceptionally strong 5th level spell (7th level for Arcane casters). They also get to choose their own casting stat, giving them untold utility and flexibility in terms of gestalt, prestige class, or multiclass builds (they are most likely the best War Weavers in the entire game, and can condense the Paladin/Sorcerer/Spellsword/Abjurant Champion/Sacred Exorcist build into a two-class one). They're going to blow a lot of Tier 3 classes out of the water with even mild optimization.

- On the other hand, as you noted, they don't get 7th or 8th level spells ever, and they only get a few 9th level spells at level 19, and only if they actually stick with the class for 19 levels (can't get it via PrC). Having statted up a few samples, they also look like they might struggle to be useful and interesting for the first level or two, since in general they have an incredibly limited number of spells per day. In addition, while "Planeswalker's Jaunt" and their boons are meaty and powerful, most of their other class features are practically flavortext and don't have a lot of utility. There's some definite traps in there too, and it's very possible to build a nigh-useless planeswalker. All of this means they might struggle to keep up with a lot of Tier 1 and 2 classes, and would have difficulty replacing them in a campaign without decent min-maxing fu.

I am my own worst critic though, and I don't want to sell the praise of my fellow playgrounders short since it's much appreciated. Just sort of musing on the class, now that I've had a week to think about it.
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2011-05-11 at 07:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Well, while it is possible to build a nigh-useless planeswalker, think of the player, who builds a character who is useless? even if you are a hard RP fan, you still pick abilities that are useful (especially in D&D, where arguably the core concept behind the rules is combat and the like).

As you stated, they are REALLY diverse, and you buried some nice abilities in there, with a few smart picks on the spell list and boons, you can have a good walker in almost any color/build you want (little iffy on red, seems to be built on a weak mechanic, damage through spells)

14. - Top - End - #44

Just a minor correction, for the pyromatics red boon you say it gives Resist Fire 10/-, shouldn't it just be Resist Fire 10?
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

YESS!!!!!!!!

Haven't look at it closely yet, but this what I've always looking for! .

Further comment pending.
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2011-05-30 at 05:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

16. - Top - End - #46

Pending DM, your class may be featured here by two players. Just thought I'd drop by and say so.
    Characters:

I live on the time zone which is -5 hours to GMT, but I'm a night owl. Beware!

17. - Top - End - #47

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    Just a minor correction, for the pyromatics red boon you say it gives Resist Fire 10/-, shouldn't it just be Resist Fire 10?
    Er...is has always said that. Always! <quick edit>. See? man I don't know why I always do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    YESS!!!!!!!!

Haven't look at it closely yet, but this what I've always looking for! .

Further comment pending.
    Thank you kindly! Looking forward to your feedback .

Quote Originally Posted by ZaneLaCoix View Post
    Pending DM, your class may be featured here by two players. Just thought I'd drop by and say so.
    Wow, hopefully it works out...I'm honored, and I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thanks for the head's up!
    ==========================

So, quick nerf change: Planeswalker's Jaunt now is only usable 3+casting mod times per day. While it wasn't easy, it seemed too likely that a player with even minimal optimization (nevermind the dreaded +30 skill item) could be effectively immune to melee attacks at higher levels. This only makes them immune a maximum of like 14 times per day instead .

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

There's a typo on Planeswalker's Jaunt now. It needs "per day." at the end of it.

Unless you want them to have a very limited amount of uses, that is.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

19. - Top - End - #49

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    There's a typo on Planeswalker's Jaunt now. It needs "per day." at the end of it.

Unless you want them to have a very limited amount of uses, that is.
    Heh, thanks for the catch.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually liked the Jaunt for the utility it offers if you can't fly for some reason and need to get somewhere, or just the flavor of the crazy 'walker that forgets how to turn his body around or walk places with his feet. Maybe add in a line to the effect of if you use it as an action taking longer than what it would otherwise be for your level that it does not count as one of the limited uses?

Random side thought that popped into my head while thinking of Urza, I'm wondering what the price would be on an item that mitigates the penalties for a passenger.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, thanks for the catch.
    Yeah. That's something I couldn't let stand, as I managed to convince a DM to allow this.

Speaking of which... Howsabout giving it a small amount of Epic support?

Just a brief progression and some Mythic Boons? And maybe a couple o' epic feats? I know there area a lot of people on these forums who play Epic levels, and would probably like this.
    Extended Signature.

22. - Top - End - #52

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    I actually liked the Jaunt for the utility it offers if you can't fly for some reason and need to get somewhere, or just the flavor of the crazy 'walker that forgets how to turn his body around or walk places with his feet. Maybe add in a line to the effect of if you use it as an action taking longer than what it would otherwise be for your level that it does not count as one of the limited uses?

Random side thought that popped into my head while thinking of Urza, I'm wondering what the price would be on an item that mitigates the penalties for a passenger.
    Hm...I think it's a bit simpler with limited uses per day. Planeswalkers do have (potential) access to every class spell list in the game so it shouldn't be a huge problem for them to snag Alter Self, Fly, Phantom Steed, Overland Flight, or something else that helps with movement. Plus, two different boons grant perma-flight. The ability was largely intended as flavor text so I don't see any reason for it to be much more powerful; it can already allow people to break out of grapples or jail cells, avoid attacks, or activate Skirmish and full attack (and a red boon grants skirmish). Seems solid enough to keep it at an average of 8/day.

As for the magic item, I'd eyeball it around 2500-4000. I'm basing that purely off the idea that it's an item to negate a "weakness" of the class, and that cost is around what an item to reliably remove fatigue (a "weakness" of Barbarians" would set you back. But I might also make it a feat; honestly that's a pretty easy and fun ability that doesn't add a lot of power to the class. I might also just allow "Easy Walking" to make your passengers be fine. What does everyone else thing?

Yeah. That's something I couldn't let stand, as I managed to convince a DM to allow this.

Speaking of which... Howsabout giving it a small amount of Epic support?

Just a brief progression and some Mythic Boons? And maybe a couple o' epic feats? I know there area a lot of people on these forums who play Epic levels, and would probably like this.
    Challenge accepted! I'll have one up shortly. A 10-level epic progression will probably just grant 2 bonus feats, 3 more uses of "Walk the Planes", and 3 boons (with "Mythic" boon unlocked at 22 or 25). Any suggestions on mythic boons for each color? Hard to top the current top tier. I'm considering a boon for each color that gives them an effective 2+bonus 7th level slots and 1+bonus 8th level slots, and then one spell known of each level (following normal color rules), but I'd like some decent non-casting alternatives to those. Will have to think about it, maybe look at the banned/restricted list for a bit of inspiration on strong, thematic abilities .
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2011-06-02 at 05:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Challenge accepted! I'll have one up shortly. A 10-level epic progression will probably just grant 2 bonus feats, 3 more uses of "Walk the Planes", and 3 boons (with "Mythic" boon unlocked at 22 or 25). Any suggestions on mythic boons for each color? Hard to top the current top tier. I'm considering a boon for each color that gives them an effective 2+bonus 7th level slots and 1+bonus 8th level slots, and then one spell known of each level (following normal color rules), but I'd like some decent non-casting alternatives to those. Will have to think about it, maybe look at the banned/restricted list for a bit of inspiration on strong, thematic abilities .
    Prehaps one of any color that nets you a weaker planeswalker apprentice/ally? Like casting a planeswalker spell?

Or maybe... The Lotus.

As for non-casting, howsabout bumping their IL from 1/2 to 3/4, and giving them a couple of maneuvers? I can give you a quick sorting of the nine canon disciplines to the colors, if you want...

In fact... Would you mind terribly if I made a few more lower level boons for this? I have an idea that might work...

Also, the five boons that grant bonus spells... As they read now, if you're epic level, get another boon of the right color, and have, say, a 7th level spell slot, you get a 7th level spell known of that color.

Is that how you intended them to work, or is it just an oversight because of it being out of reach for anything that isn't Epic? If it's the former...
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2011-06-02 at 05:18 PM.
    Extended Signature.

24. - Top - End - #54

DwarfClericGuy

Prehaps one of any color that nets you a weaker planeswalker apprentice/ally? Like casting a planeswalker spell?

Or maybe... The Lotus.

As for non-casting, howsabout bumping their IL from 1/2 to 3/4, and giving them a couple of maneuvers? I can give you a quick sorting of the nine canon disciplines to the colors, if you want...

In fact... Would you mind terribly if I made a few more lower level boons for this? I have an idea that might work...

Also, the five boons that grant bonus spells... As they read now, if you're epic level, get another boon of the right color, and have, say, a 7th level spell slot, you get a 7th level spell known of that color.

Is that how you intended them to work, or is it just an oversight because of it being out of reach for anything that isn't Epic? If it's the former...
    Actually, at some point I had a "Martial Planeswalkers" variant kicking around in my head. I might go through with it since I know Tome of Battle is overwhelmingly popular on these boards (I love it too). Basically, you'd lose spellcasting but the class would gain full Initiator level with maneuvers and stances based on color. I was thinking White Raven and Devoted Spirit for white, Diamond Mind for blue, Shadow Hand and Setting Sun for black, Desert Wind and Stone Dragon for red, and Tiger Claw and Iron Heart for green. Hadn't worked out a progression for them but probably similar to the Warblade, with either the Warblade recovery mechanic or a unique one based around movement. How would you sort the schools? And does that sound like a good variant? I'm well aware that even limited to 6th level spells that's a truly awful trade for most characters, but it would give players who want a more melee-minded planeswalker some options. I'd need to replace the "Mana Source" abilities too, probably with bonus feats.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, at some point I had a "Martial Planeswalkers" variant kicking around in my head. I might go through with it since I know Tome of Battle is overwhelmingly popular on these boards (I love it too). Basically, you'd lose spellcasting but the class would gain full Initiator level with maneuvers and stances based on color. I was thinking White Raven and Devoted Spirit for white, Diamond Mind for blue, Shadow Hand and Setting Sun for black, Desert Wind and Stone Dragon for red, and Tiger Claw and Iron Heart for green. Hadn't worked out a progression for them but probably similar to the Warblade, with either the Warblade recovery mechanic or a unique one based around movement. How would you sort the schools? And does that sound like a good variant? I'm well aware that even limited to 6th level spells that's a truly awful trade for most characters, but it would give players who want a more melee-minded planeswalker some options. I'd need to replace the "Mana Source" abilities too, probably with bonus feats.

I was thinking of making it an array of boons, with the first tier giving a bonus of, say, 1 to IL and a pair of maneuvers from that color's discipline, the second another maneuver or two and a (stacking) boost of 2 to IL, and so on.

The way I see it, the colors work out like...

Then giving them out with individual leveling. So that a Planeswalker who wasn't really that dedicated to the idea of swinging around swords could still be a bit... adept in their use.
    Extended Signature.

26. - Top - End - #56

DwarfClericGuy

Epic progression is up, with 12 (!) boons. Wording may be a bit rough on some of them. Some may also be broken, mostly since my thinking was "it's epic, this still isn't as broken as whatever the tier 1 classes are doing at this point".

You can feel free to crank out some boons . I didn't feel like it was a great use of space since a planeswalker, even an epic one, can only get 11 total and there are already almost 60, but more options never hurt anyone.

As you your second question...I'm not sure I'm following? A planeswalker can't have 7th level spell slots without taking the "Oath of ______" Mythic boons, but if they have then yes the 1st level boons enable them to learn 7th and 8th level spells.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

You can feel free to crank out some boons . I didn't feel like it was a great use of space since a planeswalker, even an epic one, can only get 11 total and there are already almost 60, but more options never hurt anyone.
    It leaves some more room for customising, which is always a good thing.

As you your second question...I'm not sure I'm following? A planeswalker can't have 7th level spell slots without taking the "Oath of ______" Mythic boons, but if they have then yes the 1st level boons enable them to learn 7th and 8th level spells.
    Er... At level 21, they can take Improved Spell Capacity, which let's them have a 7th level spell slot.

EDIT: As for the progression, nice! However, Oath of Druids has a typo in it- it says white spell instead of green spell.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2011-06-02 at 06:36 PM.
    Extended Signature.

28. - Top - End - #58

DwarfClericGuy

Er... At level 21, they can take Improved Spell Capacity, which let's them have a 7th level spell slot.

EDIT: As for the progression, nice! However, Oath of Druids has a typo in it- it says white spell instead of green spell.
    Ah copy-pasta, my eternal enemy...fixed!

Also, I'd considered that but as it doesn't spell out what their 7th, 8th, and 9th level slots look like I wondered if they really got it. If Improved Spell Capacity works that way then...I'm torn. It is NOT my intent to let one feat grant access to 9th level spells for the 'walker, even if they only get to learn a handful via boons and Spell Knowledge. But at epic, is it really so bad?

I say yes, I suppose, so I'll be editing the Novice boons to say "max 6th level", and editing the Mythic boons to say "max 8th level".

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Ah copy-pasta, my eternal enemy...fixed!

Also, I'd considered that but as it doesn't spell out what their 7th, 8th, and 9th level slots look like I wondered if they really got it. If Improved Spell Capacity works that way then...I'm torn. It is NOT my intent to let one feat grant access to 9th level spells for the 'walker, even if they only get to learn a handful via boons and Spell Knowledge. But at epic, is it really so bad?

I say yes, I suppose, so I'll be editing the Novice boons to say "max 6th level", and editing the Mythic boons to say "max 8th level".

*Sadface*

Well, there goes that idea. Just let it go like that. It's epic level, and you'll be getting access to severly limited 9th level spells at level 25. You're eight levels behind the Wizard.

'sides, it kinda fits for a planeswalker who hit epic to get 9th level spells. Maybe put a caveat on there about how you may not learn a spell of a level higher than 1/3rd your caster level (minimum 1) with that boon, instead of the maximum level thing?

Anyway, the first of the Initiator Boons is here for you to look over. It's for white, if you can't guess...

Spoiler
    Show

New Boons
    Novice

White
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heiromancer Inductee
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any two maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, White Raven. These maneuvers are always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2011-06-02 at 07:13 PM.
    Extended Signature.

30. - Top - End - #60

DwarfClericGuy

*Sadface*

Well, there goes that idea. Just let it go like that. It's epic level, and you'll be getting access to severly limited 9th level spells at level 25. You're eight levels behind the Wizard.

'sides, it kinda fits for a planeswalker who hit epic to get 9th level spells. Maybe put a caveat on there about how you may not learn a spell of a level higher than 1/3rd your caster level (minimum 1) with that boon, instead of the maximum level thing?

Anyway, the first of the Initiator Boons is here for you to look over. It's for white, if you can't guess...

Spoiler
    Show

New Boons
    Novice

White
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heiromancer Inductee
    When you take this boon, increase your Initiator level by one. You learn any two maneuvers that you meet the prerequisites for from any of the following disciplines: Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, White Raven. These maneuvers are always readied, and can be used only once per encounter. To recover expended maneuver, from this boon and any other boons you may gain, or from the Martial Study feat, you may take a full round action to concentrate. After doing so, you recover all expended maneuvers.
    I'll consider the spellcasting thing . On the "pro" side:

- it's more fun, it's more elegant, it's an obscure trick that most low-OP players wouldn't notice, it's epic level only, and it still leaves the class firmly tier two as they can, at maximum, learn 6 9th level spells, off a smallish list as they're relying on color boons to do it.

Cons:
    - It wasn't the original intent, it somewhat (not entirely) obsoletes the Legend "gain a 9th as a SLA 2/day" boons, the class was supposed to be tier 3 and has ballooned up to a higher tier, planeswalkers have potential access to every spell in the game which is really powerful and the limiting reagent was supposed to be "But they really don't get 9s".

So I'd like some other player's feedback before I decide for sure. This class is apparently getting tested places; I don't want it to come off as the Lightning Warrior and give people a sour impression of it .

As for the initiator boons, I really like the look of them. My only concern is whether they are so much better than most other 1st level boons that they become "no duh" choices, and that it makes the class even more of a "perfect Lightning Warrior" class. But I also really like ToB, and accept the fact that there's already a largely intentional power discrepancy between novice boons (Let's see, do I want scaling DR, a few extra spells known, or...a few lame class skills?). So I tentatively approve. They'd get bonus points if the boon name was also a card name