New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Adding the Pseudonatural(ELH) template to monsters?

There are two versions of the "Pseudonatural" template, but for the sake of this thread, we're going with the Epic Level Handbook version, which can be found here.

Obviously, the template is insanely powerful, otherwise it wouldn't be epic. However, I'm pretty sure that just how much the base creature gets improved might vary a lot.

For example, a Pseudobalor would have, among other things, five extra tentacle rakes and 100 SR, which is very powerful. However, a Pseudotarrasque is "also" CR 30 - but gets eighteen tentacle rakes and 240 SR. That's huge, no pun intended.

So... what monsters are great with the template, and which ones aren't quite as powerful as their CR? And which ones are actually balanced?

Note: Do not count Epic Spellcasting/Epic Manifesting, or similar game-breakers, when considering them. After all, most monsters with the template go up to epic CRs quite easily.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adding the Pseudonatural(ELH) template to monsters?

Psuedonatural gives mostly melee-relevant buffs that scale by HD. That suggests the best increases are going to come from big dumb bruiser monsters that already mostly scale by raw stats and HD; consider a Psuedonatural Dire Lion. Or, for maximum exploit, one of the types that get huge loads of HD to make up for having practically nothing else going for them. Gargantuan or Colossal Animated Objects and Monstrous Vermin make for fairly effective Psuedonatural critters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Psuedonatural gives mostly melee-relevant buffs that scale by HD. That suggests the best increases are going to come from big dumb bruiser monsters that already mostly scale by raw stats and HD; consider a Psuedonatural Dire Lion. Or, for maximum exploit, one of the types that get huge loads of HD to make up for having practically nothing else going for them. Gargantuan or Colossal Animated Objects and Monstrous Vermin make for fairly effective Psuedonatural critters.
    I don't think Animated Objects are valid targets(could be wrong, though), but the other ideas are interesting... especially a Dire Pseudolion. My oh my...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don't think Animated Objects are valid targets(could be wrong, though), but the other ideas are interesting... especially a Dire Pseudolion. My oh my...
    They are actually. The only criterion is corporeality.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2017-06-12 at 11:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    They are actually. The only criterion is corporeality.
    I see, though it would be a tad odd.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I see, though it would be a tad odd.
    The Far Realms care not for your petty sense of normalcy
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    The Far Realms care not for your petty sense of normalcy
    ...that is it, I'm getting off my ass and getting an extended signature just for that.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

This thread made me think of adding the template to a Devastation Beetle (also from ELH) for teh lulz but I decided to google to see if someone already had, I found something even better. (please let me know if I need to remove this link but I think its fine)

http://www.secretsofthearchmages.net...ults/12098.htm

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    This thread made me think of adding the template to a Devastation Beetle (also from ELH) for teh lulz but I decided to google to see if someone already had, I found something even better. (please let me know if I need to remove this link but I think its fine)

...Wat. Seriously?

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post

Well that's just veering into Immortals handbook territory.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The Kaiju template (Dragon magazine #somethingtysomething) is primarily a heap of hit dice. Could make an intriguing combination with Pseudonatural.