New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #262 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Antina
    please take a good look at the expression on her face - if she had said THE THING ;) she would have smiled at least.
    I think she's stunned. Give her 1d4 turns to collect her senses. :)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Her Hair ?!? Who started that idea? The only way hair could be used to pick a lock would be in a "Something about Mary" kinda way.

It must be concealed Picks which may or may not be masterwork but if they were they may even have a bonus to conceal, painted to match her hair or buckle etc.

I am surprised Giant doesn't chime in more to say things like "You dolts! they are obviously from her blah blah, blah blah" It must drive him crazy reading all this speculation on something that he has created and has all the answers to in his head.

Was there any confirmation on the cryptoquotes? Or was the 1st timer just assumed correct. Seems to fit but I am too busy (see: lazy) at work to check myself.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfang
    Her Hair ?!? Who started that idea? The only way hair could be used to pick a lock would be in a "Something about Mary" kinda way.
    I thought Haley was using a piece of straw.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Her Hair ?!? Who started that idea?
    I don't know, and I certainly don't see how it could be used to pick locks...

There are many ways to conceal lockpicking tools. Bobby pins, wire from an underwire bra, in boots, in a belt/belt buckle, buttons, cufflinks, jewellery, sleeves, etc. etc.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Great strip Giant!
    Not to soppy, and not to errrm somthing else...

keep 'em comin'..!

"The quickest way to a man's heart is through his stomach...in a quick upward motion."

Signature art by Ink.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ByzCath

I thought Haley was using a piece of straw.
    Winner!

Yeah, Haley is using straw from the mattress (which I just realized I didn't draw in yet) to pick the lock. Given their level, it is also probable that even in anti-magic, Haley has a Dex modifier of +5, which at 12th level (15 ranks) and with the -2 for improvised thieves' tools would give a "take 20" score of 38. Just shy of the DC 40. (There's no evidence in the rules that a nonmagical lock with a DC greater than 40 is physically possible, don't forget.)
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #67
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lightman
    Whatever, theres still Dragon magazine!

And since there's no way in Heck my wife would ever let me subscribe to or even buy a copy of Dragon, I can't wait until they are available in an on-line archive.

They will be, wont they?

Please?

:-[ wibble!

(BTW: If this has been addressed elsewhere, please don't flame me. I rarely have time to post to BBs anymore, let alone read them voraciously like I used to.)
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

And so the world ends: Not with a bang but with an </html>

8. - Top - End - #68
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The Dragon strips will not ever be available online, no. They will, someday, be collected in one of the books.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant

Winner!

Yeah, Haley is using straw from the mattress (which I just realized I didn't draw in yet) to pick the lock. Given their level, it is also probable that even in anti-magic, Haley has a Dex modifier of +5, which at 12th level (15 ranks) and with the -2 for improvised thieves' tools would give a &quot;take 20&quot; score of 38. Just shy of the DC 40. (There's no evidence in the rules that a nonmagical lock with a DC greater than 40 is physically possible, don't forget.)
    Cool! What do I win?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldhrin
    Really, the guards should've welded the doors shut.
    Two ways to prevent this:

Place the lock out of reach. Either by having a solid door and walls, by the old chain and lock trick (wrap a chain around the door and bar where it meets, run the taught chain ten feet away to a ring loop, lock the chain), or by the pit and ladder trick, like they did with Belkar.

Place Guards with crossbows outside the bars to shoot prisoners going near the door.

Honestly this prison was not designed very well to prevent escapes. As I said before plot hole. Not that I'm disparaging the Giant's plot, they have to escape someway and without tons of needless scenes or exposition, but it would not have been so easy in my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Does anyone recall if we've been told that Haley is good or neutral along the good-evil axis? Because if she's neutral, I find it amusing that the prisoners were segregated by alignment.
    No one is Neutral on the G vs E axis. Roy and Durkon are LG, Haley and Elan are CG, V is either NG or LG (I am firmly in the LG camp). Only Belkar is Evil, and he is CE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos
    If the tools are made of copper, she just might be able to hide them in her hair - right color and all. Copper is very soft, though, and they probably wouldn´t be good for many uses. But once is usually enough.

This is just the kind of thing a good thieves´ guild might come up with.
    Or a better idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide
    There are many ways to conceal lockpicking tools. Bobby pins, wire from an underwire bra, in boots, in a belt/belt buckle, buttons, cufflinks, jewellery, sleeves, etc. etc.
    Exactly. All my Rogues carry picks sewn into hemlines of their favorite clothes. Its not like simple lock picks are that expensive, not is it something that is often checked. Heck they always have one 'bluffed' set that is done clumsily so its easy to find. Plus you can hide a pick or two in your mouth, in your hair, or elsewhere... I had one character have his arm cut and picks put under the skin and have it healed. But then he was bat guano crazy...

Granted the easiest way to defeat this is to have the character stripped, searched and given 'prison issues'. But obviously in Azure City that isn't the norm.

Also the OotS might just be awaiting arraignment and thus since it won’t be a long stay Miko didn’t feel anything extreme was necessary.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

11. - Top - End - #71

well.. there is also a case of &quot;underestimate your enemies&quot; miko DID kicked everyone's butt and put them in chain gang...

she probably thought these &quot;motley&quot; crew couldn't escape.
    ALSO remember.. they are still inside the prison (the building) we haven't even gotten to outside of the prison building.
    Chibi rules.
    Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

12. - Top - End - #72

Best circumstance bonus EVER! ;D

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

I dont think V or anyone else in the strip has learned to decipher what Haley's saying. They can usually get the gist from context and attitude, and in this case its pretty clear he knew what would happen when he made his little suggestion to Elan. Namely, that given Elan's friendship with her, as well as his nice guy personality and high charisma, he'd definitely wind up saying something quite complementary to her, and given Haley's poorly hidden feelings for Elan, such a comment would have been extra-meaningful to her when coming from him.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKoboldHero
    Best circumstance bonus EVER! ;D
    Yes. Yes it is. ;D
    &&Which character are you test by Naruto - Kun.com

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Was there any confirmation on the cryptoquotes? Or was the 1st timer just assumed correct. Seems to fit but I am too busy (see: lazy) at work to check myself.
    I got the same thing... not sure if that's confirmaton enough for those who haven't translated it for themselves yet. This one was fairly easy... (more words - easier translating) I started with the &quot;C&quot; (only stand alone letter/word, had to be A or I) and went from there.

On another note... I loved this strip! Not just cause I'm a girl and love the mushy stuff. I thought it was an over-all stupendous strip. And even though I couldn't see it until this morning, it was worth the wait. Great start to 2006, Giant!
    Avatar by Jamroar.&&&&If justice really existed, there would be no need for law and lawmakers, and thus, one of mankind\'s noblest conceptions would be obliterated, and an entire occupational group would be thrown out of work.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore
    No one is Neutral on the G vs E axis. Roy and Durkon are LG, Haley and Elan are CG, V is either NG or LG (I am firmly in the LG camp). Only Belkar is Evil, and he is CE.
    Aside from the fact that we have confirmed alignments for Belkar, Durkon, and Roy (with a good confirmation in regard to Elan, almost certainly chaotic to be his brother's opposite number), where is this stated?
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_Crane
    That's funny, Mr Djagir, I don't recall anyone asking for a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY boring story...
    I guess I was just bringing out my Inner Elan.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy the boring story...

Quote Originally Posted by omikapsi
    I found Djagir's story quite interesting actually, and am now curious as to what the series or who the alien was.
    The series is Aaron Williams' PS238, and the character is Prospero.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide
    Masterwork Hairpin?
    Masterwork Underwire?
    [possible spoiler]

Now THAT is sneaky. I like the way you think.

As far as Miko goes, my guess would be wither a, her pride and arrogance would forbid her from believing they could escape from HER dungeon; or b, her pride as a professional would demand she trust the guards to do their jobs. Either way, pride goeth before the fall. Or wait, maybe it is all a ploy to prove to her master that they are not good people. I hadn't even considered that. Ohh, that's good.
    wm&&&&Peace and Power through superior waterways.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by watermammal

[possible spoiler]

Now THAT is sneaky. I like the way you think.

As far as Miko goes, my guess would be wither a, her pride and arrogance would forbid her from believing they could escape from HER dungeon; or b, her pride as a professional would demand she trust the guards to do their jobs. Either way, pride goeth before the fall. Or wait, maybe it is all a ploy to prove to her master that they are not good people. I hadn't even considered that. Ohh, that's good.
    I don't know.... I have a funny feeling that this is all a test devised by Lord Shojo to see if the OoTS is up to doing a job for him.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

It's just... V said the L word. Even Elan with his Wis and Int should have guessed it by now...

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

from the things that Elan does I think that his wis and int would give him a penalty

nitpick: in panel 3 Haley has her bow on her back

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    nitpick: in panel 3 Haley has her bow on her back
    Nice catch! I wonder how long until it's &quot;edited&quot;.

And remember, whenever that happens, like people warping across frames, or inconsistencies appear, &quot;a wizard did it.&quot;

;)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Heh, nice catch on the bow, even if it is inconsistent with the other panels, a bow is still pretty much useless without any arrows
    It was like two ninjas taped together to make one giant ninja...

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ByzCath
    Cool! What do I win?
    A piece of straw, of course.

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud
    A piece of straw, of course.
    Wrong!

TWO pieces of straw! ;D

You now have your own FREE* Halieytm Lockpicks!

*$20.00 S&amp;H
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of Roy being really pissed, I shall fear no thwacking, for my lute and my banjo, they comfort me.

Dragons: color-coded for YOUR convenience.

-Elan, not useless, but use-impared

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shatteredtower
    Aside from the fact that we have confirmed alignments for Belkar, Durkon, and Roy (with a good confirmation in regard to Elan, almost certainly chaotic to be his brother's opposite number), where is this stated?
    Rich has been quoted (just trust me - I'm lazy, it was around the time of the Unholy Blight strip I think) saying that all the characters are Good except Belkar who's Evil.

Edit: I can't find it... it's not around the time of #11, so it must have just been people talking about it later, and the search insists that The Giant has never said the name &quot;Belkar&quot; in any of his posts...
    <link rel="signature" type="text/hilarious" href="/funnysig.txt" />

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by phlip
    Rich has been quoted (just trust me - I'm lazy, it was around the time of the Unholy Blight strip I think) saying that all the characters are Good except Belkar who's Evil.

Edit: I can't find it... it's not around the time of #11, so it must have just been people talking about it later, and the search insists that The Giant has never said the name &quot;Belkar&quot; in any of his posts...
    As philip said, plus they are all revealed as Good (and Evil) here.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

27. - Top - End - #87

Was it the straw that set them free or Elan and Haleys love.... these are the days of our lives! :'(

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore
    As philip said, plus they are all revealed as Good (and Evil) here.
    actually, Unholy Blight does effect Neutral characters, just half as much.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by idksocrates
    actually, Unholy Blight does effect Neutral characters, just half as much.
    It only does damage to Neutrals, it doesn't sicken them like it does Goods.

Oh, and it was Elan and Haley's love that set them free. The need to use straw actually gave Haley a penalty to her Open Lock check. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

30. - Top - End - #90

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by chibibar
    well.. there is also a case of &quot;underestimate your enemies&quot; miko DID kicked everyone's butt and put them in chain gang...
    For all we know the ease of escaping is just part of the Samurai/Paladin's test of guilt. Fleeing when accused of a crime is SURELY* an admission of guilt right? Maybe they do have a bunch of guards waiting outside to execute them for escaping

Quote Originally Posted by yuccadude
    Heh, nice catch on the bow, even if it is inconsistent with the other panels, a bow is still pretty much useless without any arrows
    Edit: True, but Miko also broke Haley's bowstring, whereas this one's fine

*Surely as defined under the Paladin code of righteousness and any similarity to objective reality is purely coincidental