New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)

Hello, playgrounders.
    If you're from anywhere in Latin America, let's gather up and chat a bit.
    Last edited by ThiagoMartell; 2012-07-30 at 12:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Latin America in the Playground

You know, I've always wanted to start a thread like this; but for some reason or other I never did. In any case I was curious on how many latinos posted here.

Greetings from México in anycase.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Due to the amount of these threads that would exist, such threads are limited to continents. Other than the fact that Latin America seems to be missing a small portion of South America (EDIT: and, on closer inspection, some countries in Central America and the Caribbean), I like this division. But, the question remains if our Mexican members would rather be included in this group or, say, North America.

But, perhaps rename it something like Latin America (+ others) in the Playground to show that they are included.
    Last edited by Rawhide; 2012-07-29 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Closer inspection

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I think officially Mexico is part of North America; but I believe we are closer to other latin american countries than our northern neighbors. Having said that which part from South America is missing from the Latin America? I've never heard about something like that.
    Just call me Dusk

5. - Top - End - #5

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest I've never bothered to look for an official mapnor anything like that; I've always assumed that all countries south of Mexico were part of Latin America. But now it think it islogical that some countries like the French Guiana aren't considered part of Latin America.

In any case if changing the thread title to Latin America (+ others) in thr playground means the thread stays open. I say go for it; but it seems ThiagoMartell isn't online at the moment.
    Just call me Dusk

7. - Top - End - #7
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Well, strictly speaking, Latin America is not a region. It's the Spanish, French and Portuguese-speaking countries in the Americas. Mexico is part of the geographic region that is North America, as are Greenland and the island countries in the Gulf of Mexico, but it's also part of Latin America. So this includes us as well.

Either way, also Mexico from here, though living in the US.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2012-07-29 at 08:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    To be honest I've never bothered to look for an official mapnor anything like that; I've always assumed that all countries south of Mexico were part of Latin America. But now it think it islogical that some countries like the French Guiana aren't considered part of Latin America.
    I can't see why French Guiana wouldn't be a part of Latin America... I mean, French comes from latin, same as Portuguese and Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Well, strictly speaking, Latin America is not a region. It's the Spanish, French and Portuguese-speaking countries in the Americas. Mexico is part of the geographic region that is North America, as are Greenland and the island countries in the Gulf of Mexico, but it's also part of Latin America. So this includes us as well.
    Latin America, to me, always seemed to be "America, minus US and Canada".
    I mean, all the other countries have Portuguese, French or Spanish as official language... even when it isn't the case. Looks like in Paraguay most people speak some sort of advanced Tupi.

Haruki-kun, Dusk Eclipse, greetings from Brazil!

9. - Top - End - #9

Default Re: Latin America (+others) in the Playground

You could always rename it "Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    I can't see why French Guiana wouldn't be a part of Latin America... I mean, French comes from latin, same as Portuguese and Spanish.

Latin America, to me, always seemed to be "America, minus US and Canada".
    I mean, all the other countries have Portuguese, French or Spanish as official language... even when it isn't the case. Looks like in Paraguay most people speak some sort of advanced Tupi.

Haruki-kun, Dusk Eclipse, greetings from Brazil!
    Because I suck at geography and the French Guaina was the first country I recognized in the map Rawhide linked.
    Just call me Dusk

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Default Re: Southern Americas in the Playground (from Mexico all the way down!)

Now that I think about it, isn't French Guiana actually a part of France? As in, like Hawaii is a part of the US?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

According to wikipedia, yes it is an overseas region Of France, so I wasn't that off.
    Just call me Dusk

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Why there are only the three of us in this thread, 100% of Latin America in the Playground is into anime

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The adorable Smee is the first thing that leaps into my brain whenever someone mentions Brazil.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Not to mention that you have Coplantor(not sure if he still goes under that name) from Uruguay!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Let's hope Smee and Coplantor both show up here, then

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Why there are only the three of us in this thread, 100% of Latin America in the Playground is into anime
    At least in Mexico duringbthe 90's we saw a lot of anime in open TV, so I grew up watching more anime than american cartoons nevermind we have cons pretty much every other month so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Not to mention that you have Coplantor(not sure if he still goes under that name) from Uruguay!
    Inhaven't seen Coplantor in a looong time, so I am nit sure if he is still active on the forums. Smee being s mod I guess will eventually post here I guess.
    Just call me Dusk

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I think officially Mexico is part of North America; but I believe we are closer to other latin american countries than our northern neighbors. Having said that which part from South America is missing from the Latin America? I've never heard about something like that.
    Suriname speaks Dutch (a West Germanic language) as the main language and Guyana speaks English (a frankly who cares language).

THE MOAR YOU KNOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

19. - Top - End - #19

At least in Mexico duringbthe 90's we saw a lot of anime in open TV, so I grew up watching more anime than american cartoons nevermind we have cons pretty much every other month so yeah.
    Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Ranma 1/2, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Pokemon. I don't remember any other anime on TV. ._.

Also, I have contact with Coplantor every once in a while, but I don't see him on the forum. I'm not sure if he's still around.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Same here. We have anime events about twice a month in my city.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kris View Post
    Suriname speaks Dutch (a West Germanic language) as the main language and Guyana speaks English (a frankly who cares language).

THE MOAR YOU KNOW.
    Then my hunch that latin america refered to countries which speak a language derived from Latin was mostly right...though fir sime reason I was sure french was't

Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Ranma 1/2, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and Pokemon. I don't remember any other anime on TV. ._.

Also, I have contact with Coplantor every once in a while, but I don't see him on the forum. I'm not sure if he's still around.
    You are missing a few like Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, Dr. Slump and Samurai Pizza Cats... maybe there were't that many and my younger self just prefered anime to american cartoons even then.
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-08-01 at 06:15 AM.
    Just call me Dusk

22. - Top - End - #22

Didn't see Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, OR Dr. Slump. I'd forgotten about Samurai Pizza Cats. I was too young, I suppose.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Didn't see Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Slam Dunk, OR Dr. Slump. I'd forgotten about Samurai Pizza Cats. I was too young, I suppose.
    Saint Seiya was so awesome back in the 90s when I first saw it. Now... well... everyone has noticed the problems in the original and Omega sucks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't seen Omega yet; but a friend of mine, who is the biggest Saint Seiya Fan I know" agrees that it sucks (apparently somethingn to do with the cosmos now being element based) so I am not sure if I should givr it a go or not.

Haruki-kun, I think you missed the ones that aired on Azteca 7 back then (local channel) .

Still I find a bit curious that apparently there are only 5 latin american posters in the forum.
    Just call me Dusk

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm from Mexico too. I only knew about Haruki being from Mexico before. Nice to see others from the bigger part of America (not just from the one country that thinks it's ALL of America)!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Oh nice! I used to had Mexico City as my location; but an avatar change merited a change and I never bothered to correct it then . Still it might also be cause I dom't frequent Friendly Banter too much.
    Just call me Dusk

27. - Top - End - #27

Still I find a bit curious that apparently there are only 5 latin american posters in the forum.
    There's a couple others who haven't showed up yet. Crimmy, for example. Fostire, Skippy (who hasn't been active in a while...)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

There's a couple others who haven't showed up yet. Crimmy, for example. Fostire, Skippy (who hasn't been active in a while...)
    Larkas is brazilian too, so is Jumilk. There was another guy, but I forgot his name. Aes-something.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

And once again I stand corrected ....hmmm this has been what? Third time in this thread alone? I'm beggining to see a trend here
    Just call me Dusk

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hey! All the way from Costa Rica!
    Welcome to the Internet where opinions are facts and sources don't matter!
    I GOT A 4