New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Closed Account

Default Erfworld 10: Unofficial Discussion Thread

I can't be the only one who finds Erfworld absolutely hilarious, right?

I mean, the teddy bears and elephants...

They should have cutesy names of their own.

NOTE: Could the two discussion threads be merged? Pretty please?
    Last edited by Khantalas; 2006-12-21 at 06:25 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Erfworld 10 - The discussion thread

10 is up.

And really getting into it's stride.

I wouldn't want to fight the cloth golems....

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 10: Unofficial Discussion Thread

You got there 1 minute before me with the discussion thread :)

And no, you're not the only one - I love it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Bwears and Ewephants?

And I didn't know Trolls could count.
    I will reap your cheese!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Erfworld 10 - The discussion thread

Livingston..?
    Laurence J Sinclair - Warlord Story Team

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Wow, I really like this one.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Threads merged!
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Alright .. I've given this comic 10 issues before commenting...

Erfworld is really quite terrible. It suffers from really poor writing. The story is all over the place and the chacter development is non existant. Nothing makes sense to me. It lacks the true wit and charm of OOTS.

If there was one thing I could say that was positive about it, it would be the artwork. I actually love the art style. The characters and environs are wonderfully drawn. It's a shame such great panels are ruined by a story that goes nowhere. Where OOTS is clever and funny, Erf is just boring and fractured.

I will say that it does feel like a good comic is in there somewhere, but I don't think it's full potential has been realized yet. Actually, I'd settle for someone realizing it's most basic potential. That would be nice.

Anyway, I've probably only got about a few issues left of this thing before I abandon it completely. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Sebastian

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squeakyreaper View Post
    Bwears and Ewephants?

And I didn't know Trolls could count.
    Giwaffes?

And it's a Twoll, remember. Different thing .

And is that an invisi-otter/ferret/panda I see? Can't wait to see them in combat.

One wonders why the stwawb'wy motif. Presumably the company symbol...
    I apologise now for everything that is wrong with this post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

One more thing ... now that I'm thinking about it ...

I wouldn't want to fight the cloth golems....
    CLOTH GOLEMS IS FUNNY! WHY ISN'T THAT IN THE COMIC! Seriously, your heart is in the right place, but....

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Orly! Yarly! Lol <--- I wouldn't want to be attacked by that.

Also, is it me, or does the gwiffon look like a marshmallow peep?

And people, Erfword is a pretty casual comic rife with internet memes, absurdity, and surrealism (at least as I view it). Stop taking it so seriously.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, it really annoys me when people write something off when they haven't even seen enough to truly get to grips with the material. How can the plot be all over the place when we have only seen two aspects of it? Would you stop reading a normal comic just because four pages in it cut to a different scene? It doesn't have as good humour as OotS, but that is because it is a primarily story comic- that and you do not get some of the better references. It has next to no character development? We have only seen 10 pages, and we haven't seen all the characters yet! The first pages of any writing are normally meant to introduce characters so we can see how they will develop later on. We are not meant to have the characters develop immediately, when the full setting hasn't even been explained yet! OotS was easy to pick up because it is a gag-a-day comic with a storyline behind it, Erfworld is harder to pick up because it is a story comic with gags meant to be in the background. From what I have seen, Erfworld is going to be an interesting comic with a good storyline. All of you that are writing it off before you have even got the background info, you are people who were expecting something different than what you were told to expect.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've liked erfworld so far though it's just getting started.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bux View Post
    Erfworld is really quite terrible. It suffers from really poor writing. The story is all over the place and the chacter development is non existant. Nothing makes sense to me. It lacks the true wit and charm of OOTS.
    Yes the story it's seems to be over the place. But those threads will be tied together. Since it's new comic I think that it has been written longer than where we're now. There seems to be a plot not just new idea for every page.

And it's very different from oots. Not just that it takes it's place in strategy games not rpgs. Before you say anything about character development take a look to first ten pages of oots. Those consist mainly funny D&D jokes. Now that the real character development has occured it's easy to look back and remember that they were different party then. Oots had only one story line at beginnig (party) fast it got also another one ( ). Now it will be very complex if you start where we're now. Or started couple weeks ago when not-Nale was hitting and that his look-a-like was in jail with this greenskin.

I like this story, even though rhytm is different. I like its drawing too and I loved those cloth golems.
    Last edited by Hart av Srednak; 2006-12-21 at 07:26 AM.

Hart av Srednak

.....................?

Spoiler
    Show
    There are three steps to everything,
    three steps to death, three steps to life,
    watch your steps, count:
    one, two, three

*PS pardon my ennglish*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shakalooloo_Doom View Post
    Livingston..?
    Jimmy Hoffa disappeared under curious circumstances, and is as such a good command word for things going away.

By the same logic, David Livingston had been lost, but was once more found by the reporter Henry Morton Stanley. ("Mr. Livingston, I presume") Anyway, good jokes ;)
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Try reading the first 10 OoTS strips and tell me how wonderful the character development and plot is with only those to guide you.

Sure enough, the first 10 OoTS would win out over the first 10 ERFWORLD strips, but they try for a joke every strip while ERFWORLD builds it over time.

We probably won't have any good feeling about the storyline and depth until about strip 30.
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Lawll.

Those souramanders sure look sour. :D

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Wow, this is the first strip out of this series that I really thought was awesome. I loved seeing those Cloth Golems. They were hilarious. Also, the battle scene was great with the gwiffon just swooping in and eating the twoll, I think. Plus the Orly attacks with the Yarly and LOL responses was hilarious. Definetly, the best comic so far. Keep up the good work.
    Telling someone they have some kind of mental problem because they disagree with you is not a good argument.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Closed Account

The first ten strips of OotS show us, in the field of character development, that Elan is an idiot, and V uses big words quite often. Not much else. Not even a story. Admittedly, it makes you laugh, but you couldn't tell what it would turn into - the brilliance we love today.

Compare this to Erfworld, which has at least some story, shows us the basic personality of four characters, and only has less humor overall.

I used to read EGS (update the comic, Shive!), and also read Dominic Deegan, Ctrl-Alt-Delete and User Friendly. And Half-Wit and Legendary. The last three have humor in almost every page, but the first three don't. Still, all are good comics, IMHO, in their own way.

I think that some people expect Erfworld to be similar to OotS, because they're on the same site. Why? If they were going to be similar, we wouldn't need Erfworld, would it. The comics cater (?) to different people, and it's a good thing. If it turns out to be bad (which I hope won't happen), we will blame the Giant for his bad choices, and it will be over.

Just my ranting, as usual. Ignore this piece of text.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The peep made me crack up. Its hillarious.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Interesting. I'm still having trouble deciphering the rules of Erfworld, I'm used to Oots's D&D rule-based humour. That said, I do love the artwork.

21. - Top - End - #21

Bwears and Ewephants, oh my.
    Couldn't resist.

On another note, why is a giraffe a cloth golem? It's more useless than owlbears, at least a teddy bear can ,y'know, attack without falling down.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe I'm just jaded by clever funny, but I don't find most of the "comics" or running "jokes" on the internet funny at all. For the most part they follow the same philosophy of joke telling most of the TV and movie "comedies" follow. Which is stupid humor at best, and I'm definately not a stupid humor sort of person, there are some exceptions but only in the right context and usually when surrounded by clever humor most of the time.

Right now Erfworld is still a bit undecided, there is some clever comedy in there and there is also some stupid comedy. So far the stupid comedy seems to be winning out, though that could very well change with development. Seeing as how its hard to go a day without running into stupid comedy on the net the last thing I want is to have a comic that recycles all that comedy that wasn't even funny in the first place.
    There seems to be a fair amount of clever comedy, and it probably does outnumber the stupid comedy, but the stupid comedy stands out a lot more. Especially since much of the clever comedy seems to be based on rather obscure things that I'm not remembering.
    There seems to be a lot of personal comedy rather then general comedy, which means it might be very funny to the person writing it but is lost on most people.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Bux View Post
    One more thing ... now that I'm thinking about it ...

CLOTH GOLEMS IS FUNNY! WHY ISN'T THAT IN THE COMIC! Seriously, your heart is in the right place, but....

Look at the last two panels of Erfworld 9

Also- Erloas, the range of humor is inself a metajoke, a la Dennis Miller
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

cool Re: Erfworld 10 - The discussion thread

I'm still pretty interested in where this is going and the stuffed animals in the last panel seem to support my theory that this is based in a strategy war game for children. Although it could also be that the titans created this place for their children to play around in.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Well, this is the first page that made me laugh out load (thankfully it is my last day in work for Christmas).

Why did I laugh?

The lineup consisting of giant four soft toys (including a Care Bear), a rather grumpy pink creature (the sourmander?), an invisible unicorn* and a cheshire cat that has totally disappeared, including the smile.

This followed by the comment "She, um. She doesn't know you're coming. But she might be greatful.".

So that's what the hats are for. Of course, they are magician's hats! I didn't get the Hoffa/Livingstone reference, so I'm glad someone explained. At least there were no rabbit jokes.

*I will spare you the obvious comments about Virgins and Essex Girls.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

26. - Top - End - #26

Personally I still love Erfworld, however I really see this issue as make-or-break for a fanbase.
    I knew when I read it that it would polarise opinion more than issues uptil now and I totally expected many of these reactions.
    Different strokes for different folks eh?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    At least there were no rabbit jokes.

Yet.

(ten char fill)
    Spoiler
    Show

Yee.
    Hah.

I'm in ur ideosphere, propigatin' ur memes!
    I do not understand me.
    English translation of Japanese translation via Babelfish of #408

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    The lineup consisting of giant four soft toys (including a Care Bear), a rather grumpy pink creature (the sourmander?), an invisible unicorn* and a cheshire cat that has totally disappeared, including the smile.
    The unicorn and the cat are supposed to be made out of glass. A bit hard to do with the coloring style I think, but I guess that makes them kind of invisible.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hoffa/Livingston joke was probably my best "laugh out loud" moment yet. I skimmed over it, as I'm wont to do, only to return to decipher the note (co-ordinates as it turns out) and caught the Hoffa in passing
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Another good strip, building building building...

One question: In the panel where Jillian lands her gwiffon on the twoll, the underside of the gwiffon is drawn to represent..well, something I don'y get (I'm no artist). What effect are you going for here?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.