New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Quick question, is there going to be an extension on the contest? I only ask because it looks like there are only three complete classes at this point with three others missing all or most of their class features.
    Whoops, I forgot all about this contest. I'm travelling for the next little while so might not be able to post, so I'll give feedback now (on the assumption that there's an extension).

Linguist - needs some tidying up, the text is a bit dense. SOme abilities (like being able to duplicate supernatural abilities of monsters) need to have strict limitations e.g. XP costs or somesuch.

Lexithurge - could also use some trimming, but looks quite functional and I really like the Cultural Studies ability and the capstone.

Word Teacher - looks extremely creative! Just needs a simplified explanation for the class features.

I'm not going to edit my own entry any more, just ignore the Gnoll language entry. Darn hyenas just don't have any flavour!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Banned

Default Re: Base Class Contest Chat Thread V: I Scored at the Top of My Base Class

I forgot this in the midst of trying to do like a gazillion other things at once. Yes, there's an extension, and I'll work out how much longer (probably about a week or two extra) when I'm not mega-tired.

The main thing I need to do with Word Teacher is just make a plain-text version. I'm sure that the current version is hilarious but it's probably not totally legible.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
    Lexithurge - could also use some trimming, but looks quite functional and I really like the Cultural Studies ability and the capstone.
    Out of curiosity, when you say that the Lexitheurge could use some trimming, do you mean simplifying the ability descriptions or dropping some abilities entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    The main thing I need to do with Word Teacher is just make a plain-text version. I'm sure that the current version is hilarious but it's probably not totally legible.
    I'd definitely appreciate a plain-text version of the class, especially given the class' unique mechanics.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Banned

Two-week extension from the prior deadline, and a plaintext word teacher. Ta-da!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Out of curiosity, when you say that the Lexitheurge could use some trimming, do you mean simplifying the ability descriptions or dropping some abilities.
    Simplifying the abilities, or breaking them down into multiple smaller abilities - divine lexicon could be broken into two chains of opposed abilities.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

With recent updates to jorm's status on the site, we will need a new MC for the contest, anyone feeling the part?

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose I can give it shot; if I do I'll probably extend the deadline until 8pm EST 8/31 9/3 for personal ease of posting and to give people a little extra time to finish their classes.
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2018-08-30 at 10:59 AM.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Speaker For the Dead is... a thing. I have the spell list mapped out, just need to put it all in alphabetical order, but no spell is truly off-limits to the Speaker, due to the Universal Truth ability. I want more class features, but I'm not coming up with much. I know a real PEACH isn't possible without that spell-list done, but does the concept/chassis seem balanced? It has as many spells per day as a wizard, casts spontaneously, and has a full BAB, light armor, and a d6 hitdie, but knows fewer spells than the sorcerer, and can spend its "spell" slots to initiate maneuvers as well.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    The Speaker For the Dead is... a thing. I have the spell list mapped out, just need to put it all in alphabetical order, but no spell is truly off-limits to the Speaker, due to the Universal Truth ability. I want more class features, but I'm not coming up with much. I know a real PEACH isn't possible without that spell-list done, but does the concept/chassis seem balanced? It has as many spells per day as a wizard, casts spontaneously, and has a full BAB, light armor, and a d6 hitdie, but knows fewer spells than the sorcerer, and can spend its "spell" slots to initiate maneuvers as well.
    Honestly, I'm having a little trouble parsing the Truths ability so it's hard for me to comment on that. Do the Truths represent the Speaker's spells/maneuvers known, or is it a separate mechanic of some kind? If it does represent spells/maneuvers known, why does the speaker then have a separate maneuvers column?

As for the chassis, I'd probably strongly consider dropping the planned BAB from full to 3/4 just on the basis that the class also has access to 9th level spells.

My Homebrew

Show

10. - Top - End - #280

Honestly, I'm having a little trouble parsing the Truths ability so it's hard for me to comment on that. Do the Truths represent the Speaker's spells/maneuvers known, or is it a separate mechanic of some kind? If it does represent spells/maneuvers known, why does the speaker then have a separate maneuvers column?

As for the chassis, I'd probably strongly consider dropping the planned BAB from full to 3/4 just on the basis that the class also has access to 9th level spells.
    The slots represent Truths, which can be used as maneuvers or spells, and the columns labeled Maneuvers and Spells represent how many are known, with the column labeled Truths usable to learn either one.
    Edit: I will be editing for clarity soon.

With a 3/4 BAB it would have a worse chassis than every other full caster: lower hitdie, fewer spells known, and worse armor than the cleric (and no turning), fewer spells per day than the sorcerer, fewer spells known than the wizard, maybe on par with a druid with no wildshape.
    Last edited by sengmeng; 2018-09-02 at 10:35 AM.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Nod, get treat.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, you left a few all-caps SPEAKERS OF THE DEAD in there. CLASS NAME is only all-caps to make sure peeps see it.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Also, you left a few all-caps SPEAKERS OF THE DEAD in there. CLASS NAME is only all-caps to make sure peeps see it.
    I think I've done that every time lol.

Nod, get treat.

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I think I've done that every time lol.
    I think so too. I was going to say something a while back but I never got around to it. Story of my life.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, with Jorm gone we now only have two completed classes and a few others that are still WIP, so I'm going to push the extension back to 8 pm EST 9/21. Hopefully this will give everyone who's still working on their classes a chance to finish.

My Homebrew

Show

15. - Top - End - #285

MindFlayer

I'm review ready, I could add more, but it is play ready.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-09-03 at 07:15 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, the Voting Thread is now up.

My Homebrew

Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Just reminding everyone voting ends this Friday, so if you haven't voted yet please do so.

My Homebrew

Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

And voting is now closed, the winner is The Guide by rferries, with my own Lexitheurge and Lanth Sor's Scribe tying for second. If anyone has any suggestions for the next contest please submit them.

My Homebrew

Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Huzzah! Some ideas:

Aquatic Campaigns
    Desert Campaigns
    Cooking
    Cyberpunk
    Fairy Tales
    Hallowe'en
    Last edited by rferries; 2018-10-13 at 01:23 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Maybe Harvests? Allows for soul reapers, farmers, Halloween-themed stuff, even herbalists and such.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #291

MindFlayer

All Hallow's Eve
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-10-14 at 02:07 AM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd vote for Harvest myself

My Homebrew

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

one more vote for harvest but i dont know i poop a class or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

That puts us at 3 for Harvest and 1 (2 if I count it being on the list rferries offered) for Halloween.

I'll put up the information for the next contest this Friday unless someone wants to do it sooner, in the meantime feel free to keep voting for themes.

My Homebrew

Show

25. - Top - End - #295

MindFlayer

I just realized he had cyberpunk on there, how about "Technology through a Mirror Darkly"

Anything form cybermen, ORK Oddboyz, Cyberpunk Hacker, Tech Priests, Mechromancers, or even Freddies mechanic or robots.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-10-16 at 12:35 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, it appears that Harvest is still the leader votes-wise so...thread
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2018-10-19 at 07:57 PM.

My Homebrew

Show

27. - Top - End - #297

Kobold

Okay, so. Hm, I might actually compete this time if time is going to allow me.

I am likely not going to go do Halloween as a theme though. There's more to Harvest than that.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almarck View Post
    Okay, so. Hm, I might actually compete this time if time is going to allow me.

I am likely not going to go do Halloween as a theme though. There's more to Harvest than that.
    Well, if there aren't any other entrants by the time we get closer to the deadline than I'll be strongly inclined to give an extension.

Regarding our existing entrants;
    Harvester; mechanically my main concerns would be the the dead levels after level 12 as well as some concern regarding the power-level of Trick or Treat. While the provisos do cut down on some of the most severe potential abuses, it still gives access to highest available spells 3 + Cha mod times a day. Another potential issue is that Dark Grace gives a bit much right at level 1, I'd be inclined to split up the AC and save bonuses and move one or both to slightly higher levels.

Zenzenmann; I'm honestly not all that familiar with the Mythos system, so this will be interesting for me to judge. For the moment, however, the class is going to need more Mythos and Excellencies before I can make a real evaluation.

My Homebrew

Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Another potential issue is that Dark Grace gives a bit much right at level 1, I'd be inclined to split up the AC and save bonuses and move one or both to slightly higher levels.
    I concur, I would do something like 'A.C. equal to your class level or Cha mod, whichever is lower'

I believe that the darkness reminds us what light can be

My Extended Homebrew Signature

30. - Top - End - #300

Kobold

Can you add the Contest tag to the thread? I couldn't find it earlier because the contest thread lacked the right tag.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature