New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Ah yes because in Journey's End where they kill Jack they show absolute fear of him.

Or in Series 1, right before Rose goes Bad Wolf, they look really scared of Jack.

River is the only character who the Daleks have asked for mercy from. Not even the Doctor gets that treatment, and he's killed them in the hundreds after offering a choice that he knows they will refuse. I'd be more afraid of the man who has multiple genocides under his belt than of the girl who travels with him sometimes who will kill people.
    The particular Dalek was not at full power and thus couldn't have blown her away with a flick of its whisk. That said yeah it was a bit silly.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xondoure View Post
    The particular Dalek was not at full power and thus couldn't have blown her away with a flick of its whisk. That said yeah it was a bit silly.
    Yes, this. No one has been in that same situation before. The Dalek is weak and broken and when a Doctors Companion points a gun at it, it scoffs. Why should it be afraid? No matter what it does the doctor would offer mercy. So would the Doctors companion and then the Dalek looks into its records and finds the no, this is one of the few companions for which he will get none.

Should the Dalek have been willing to ask for mercy for anyone? Maybe not but it wasn't River being super-badass. It was River being a murderer.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarenny View Post

Also is River called part Timelord? Per Canon shouldn't she just be strait Time Lord?

The way I look at this thing - "Time Lords" are Gallifreyans who were altered biologically via an exposure to the Time Vortex and possibly some bio-technologic modifications. Melody (that's how I refer to Pre-giving up powers River) got the altering deal, but to a human body, giving her Time Lords powers ("Seeing" time, regeneration, ect.) but not Gallifreyain ones (Two hearts, longer lifespan, Psychic Powers ,ect). As ,until Melody\River came along -the only ones to ever alter themself are the Gallifreyains (and, as far as we know, all of the Gallifreyans ere alterd Weezer has informed me that we do see unalterd Gallifreyans as the lower class of Time Lord society (and I do remember a few references made to this fact in the awesome fan-comic The Ten Doctors) so, I guess that's what I get for not watching The Invasion of Time yet ), saying "Time Lord" is basically the same thing as saying "Gallifreyan",(EDIT:) at least outside of Gallifrey it self
    Now the question is how do you look at this now...

1. Time Lords are just altered Gallifreyans. If you look at this that way, River is \was just Half-Time Lord, the missing half being the Gallifreyan one

2. A Time Lord is just every person altered in the that way, it's just that up'till now, only Gallifreyans did it. River is\was a Human Time Lord (I'm not sure if she gave just regeneration energy ,or all the Time Lord stuff in her) ,and the doctor is a Gallifreyan Time Lord

I usually use the first one, as it's easier to say, but two is probably more accurate
    Last edited by littlekKID; 2012-01-10 at 04:21 PM.
    We now stop this thread for this blatant self-promotion of my own webcomics

http://goldensorceress.smackjeeves.com/

HUGGBEES!!
    Interesting Fact: If you spin around while saying 'Huggbees' three times real quick, Pierre Salinger will appear. Only he'll have... a beard!
    also, some of my drawings and writing
    Awesome Demon girl avatar by GreenMuffin
    and now, back to the thread

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlekKID View Post
    The way I look at this thing - "Time Lords" are Gallifreyans who were altered biologically via an exposure to the Time Vortex and possibly some bio-technologic modifications. Melody (that's how I refer to Pre-giving up powers River) got the altering deal, but to a human body, giving her Time Lords powers ("Seeing" time, regeneration, ect.) but not Gallifreyain ones (Two hearts, longer lifespan, Psychic Powers ,ect). As ,until Melody\River came along -the only ones to ever alter themself are the Gallifreyains (and, as far as we know, all of the Gallifreyans ere alterd), saying "Time Lord" is basically the same thing as saying "Gallifreyan".
    Not to be nitpicky but it's strongly implied that a number of Gallifreyans encountered in Classic Who were not Time Lords. For example a number of Gallifreyan guards were killed in the Invasion of Time without regenerating. Also indications of an oligarchical class system on Gallifrey, with the Time Lords on top and unaltered Gallifreyans on the bottom, suggest that most Gallifreyans are were in fact not exposed to the Time Vortex. This doesn't really change your analysis of proper naming, which I think is accurate, but I'm a bit finicky about my Who.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2012-01-10 at 04:06 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Not to be nitpicky but it's strongly implied that a number of Gallifreyans encountered in Classic Who were not Time Lords. For example a number of Gallifreyan guards were killed in the Invasion of Time without regenerating. Also indications of an oligarchical class system on Gallifrey, with the Time Lords on top and unaltered Gallifreyans on the bottom, suggest that most Gallifreyans are in fact not exposed to the Time Vortex. This doesn't really change your analysis of proper naming, which I think is accurate, but I'm a bit finicky about my Who.
    Thank you, Weezer, I'll change it

HUGGBEES!!
    Interesting Fact: If you spin around while saying 'Huggbees' three times real quick, Pierre Salinger will appear. Only he'll have... a beard!

6. - Top - End - #1146

Yes, this. No one has been in that same situation before. The Dalek is weak and broken and when a Doctors Companion points a gun at it, it scoffs. Why should it be afraid? No matter what it does the doctor would offer mercy. So would the Doctors companion and then the Dalek looks into its records and finds the no, this is one of the few companions for which he will get none.

Should the Dalek have been willing to ask for mercy for anyone? Maybe not but it wasn't River being super-badass. It was River being a murderer.
    The fact of the matter is that Daleks have no word for mercy. That was a plot point at one time in Series 2 or 3. The Doctor asked them to show Mercy and the Daleks said they HAD no concept of mercy.

So asking for mercy is ridiculous because Daleks don't know what that is.

My problem with the scene is that it killed the image I had of the Daleks. The things that don't ever, ever back down. I associate the Daleks with that one scene where they're talking to the Cybermen.

That is so utterly different from the one that begged for mercy that it's barely even a Dalek in my head, because it's such a terrible idea.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-01-10 at 04:12 PM.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fact of the matter is that Daleks have no word for mercy. That was a plot point at one time in Series 2 or 3. The Doctor asked them to show Mercy and the Daleks said they HAD no concept of mercy.
    Well, in Dalek (2005), the titular dalek was begging for mercy when the Doctor tortured him (that was before Rose touched him, so it's not from the human part). So that's not that accurate.

I still this scene was crap, but not just 'cuase of the "MERCY"

HUGGBEES!!

8. - Top - End - #1148

The way I look at this thing - "Time Lords" are Gallifreyans who were altered biologically via an exposure to the Time Vortex and possibly some bio-technologic modifications. Melody (that's how I refer to Pre-giving up powers River) got the altering deal, but to a human body, giving her Time Lords powers ("Seeing" time, regeneration, ect.) but not Gallifreyain ones (Two hearts, longer lifespan, Psychic Powers ,ect). As ,until Melody\River came along -the only ones to ever alter themself are the Gallifreyains (and, as far as we know, all of the Gallifreyans ere alterd Weezer has informed me that we do see unalterd Gallifreyans as the lower class of Time Lord society (and I do remember a few references made to this fact in the awesome fan-comic The Ten Doctors) so, I guess that's what I get for not watching The Invasion of Time yet ), saying "Time Lord" is basically the same thing as saying "Gallifreyan",(EDIT:) at least outside of Gallifrey it self
    Now the question is how do you look at this now...

1. Time Lords are just altered Gallifreyans. If you look at this that way, River is \was just Half-Time Lord, the missing half being the Gallifreyan one

2. A Time Lord is just every person altered in the that way, it's just that up'till now, only Gallifreyans did it. River is\was a Human Time Lord (I'm not sure if she gave just regeneration energy ,or all the Time Lord stuff in her) ,and the doctor is a Gallifreyan Time Lord

I usually use the first one, as it's easier to say, but two is probably more accurate
    My old who-lore is weak but I'm told that there were non-galefreyian time Lords. The sixth doctor was even going to make his companion Ace into one. So it seems to go both ways.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Dwarf in the Playground

My old who-lore is weak but I'm told that there were non-galefreyian time Lords. The sixth doctor was even going to make his companion Ace into one. So it seems to go both ways.
    It's seven, not Six - and seeing how the show was cancel long before it happend (I'm not sure if that happened on the EU, but even then, it's canonity is in question) ,it just shows that idea was around for a while, but River was the first time it's actually happened
    Last edited by littlekKID; 2012-01-10 at 04:39 PM.

HUGGBEES!!

10. - Top - End - #1150

Well, in Dalek (2005), the titular dalek was begging for mercy when the Doctor tortured him (that was before Rose touched him, so it's not from the human part). So that's not that accurate.

I still this scene was crap, but not just 'cuase of the "MERCY"
    Really? Huh didn't remember that.

Yes, that scene was bad. Really bad. Then again, I hate Series 5/6 River a lot more then Library River.

Library!River was cool. She had an intriguing subplot, and was interesting. She was well done, and the part at the end where she died was really good.

5/6 River is not cool. She has the worst backstory ever (I'm your daughter and also your best friend who was born in the future and also the past! Also I am a Time Lord.) is brutally inserted into the plot (Hello sweetie) and has the 'interesting' traits of being better than the Doctor.

EDIT: People keep bringing up Ace. Ace was different, as in Ace would have been made a Time Lord the Gallifreyan way, not "Born in a Tardis". And River Song is according to the wiki, only a "partial Time Lord".
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-01-10 at 05:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1151

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    To be fair that is probably the worst episode in series 5/6. The Curse of the Black Spot was quite bad on a number of levels.
    Oh yhea I'll agree on that one, "wtf?!" and *facepalm* in all the worst ways right there, but the show does have a few super duds of episodes every now and then.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Really? Huh didn't remember that.
    Okay , checked it again - It begged for Pity, not mercy -but it's still the same basic idea

HUGGBEES!!

13. - Top - End - #1153

Just watched When A Good Man Goes To War.

That was quite possibly the most pointless episode of all time ever.

"Let's introduce a bunch of characters and have pointless cameos!"

"Also river song is melody pond. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!"

"And now we remove any point to the climax of the episode by making it all redundant! Isn't that clever?"

Just ugh. At least River wasn't cringe level smug in this one. But because I load these in sets of two...

ADGKLJDSHGAS ANOTHER EPISODE ABOUT CHILDREN AFTER THE HITLER ONE?!?!? I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF THESE PLOT POINTS ABOUT SMALL CHILDREN

Series 1 had one episode about children, but it was a two parter and was creepy as anything. Series 2-4 had around 2-4 episodes about children.

5 had like three. 6 has had almost every episode but the first one have a children subplot.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-01-10 at 06:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Series 1 had one episode about children, but it was a two parter and was creepy as anything. Series 2-4 had around 2-4 episodes about children.

5 had like three. 6 has had almost every episode but the first one have a children subplot.
    Curse of Black spot could have done without the kid I agree. The time could have been given to the pirate who suffer plot existence failure.
    The father sub-plot in Rebel Flesh/The Almost People did explore one of the problem with clones.

Other episode that have kid sub-plots
    Spoiler
    Show
    Night Terrors is Fear Her done better, so the kid is kinda central to the plot.
    Closing time is just filled with awesome (well apart from how they solved the problem).

I don't think there's really anything left to say about the main plot arc. (If you need to know which side, lets just say I'm easily pleased)
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-01-10 at 07:13 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    My thoughts on River and the Doctor: River is annoying. This is because she tries to steal the spotlight from the Doctor and suceeds.

I said I would diagnose the Doctor Who's "problem" and I will do so. The show's being dumbed down. I have already talked about how the characters are much more stupid than they were in Rusty's run. Now I know what you are all thinking Rose, Donna and Martha were stupid too. But you see, they're stupid on purpose (plus the actress's are smart). The new companions are stupid and do the same if not more stupid things but they're portrayed as smart. Rose and co were never smart (Martha was and she did less stupid things. less mind you bunnyface!). The new companions are supposed to be clever and almost as good as the Doctor and equals to the Doctor. In Rusty's time the Doctor was the indisputable master. Here he's equal with his companions even though they're not as smart as him. And he's less smart than he was.
    Like I said, watching series 1 still and oy is some of that applicable :) On kids: at least most in the show can act, it makes watching children in American shows downright horrid lol.

As always, discussing that you don't like it is kinda stupid, I'm not going to argue you did like it (also I see that you're not saying it's horrible, just that it's below what you think Who should be).

I certainly think there's elements of Series 5 and 6 that sounded better at the script pitch level than in finished product (sidenote: commentary for Empty Child/Doctor Dances is worth a listen--so many greatest Who moments that were quick rewrites for time and so on according to Moffat, but he's probably pulling our legs a bit too). I think we can agree on many of them, but the problem is was there a way to fix them? I find it hard to take the elements that I don't like out or change them in a way that doesn't kill the whole ep/storyline or think of ways that things could have been done better (again without the story dying at that point). I have the second half of series 6 available to me if you'd like to try to "fix" an episode from that batch--any excuse to watch again :)

So on to Amy/Rory apology. There's certainly character growth in them, and there's tons of non-series material that expands on that (cutting room floor scenes or shorts). Girl Who Waited certainly needed a better way into that situation. God Complex can be forgiven lots for being great, it's just that those three eps in a row are too similar in structure...

Flaws in The Doctor are more front and center now, and that's good too in many ways, but I'd rather talk about that separately.

So example: I'm a huge Almost People/Rebel Flesh apologist, but there's definitely missed chances and some production errors in there. Off the top of my head, there's not two episodes worth of interesting stuff there (ok just do two eps of doctor/flesh_doctor and I'd be fine). That's a bad example then, because there's a number of ways to fix those lol.
    Last edited by LokeyITP; 2012-01-10 at 09:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1156

Interesting fact. Currently there are no planned two-parters for the next seasons. If what they want out of an episode gets to big that may change but any two-parters will grow organically from the story this time.

I find it interesting that you say your a Almost People/Rebel Flesh and Amy/Rory apologist. I've been to several forum and it seemed the only thing anyone could agree on was that Almost People/Rebel Flesh was awesome. I thought it was alright myself. Rory and Amy seem to be generally beloved also. Rory especially, which is not unexpected because he is awesome.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

There's just too many ways out of the ending in the monastery. I think there's tons of good individual scenes, tons of great dialog throughout and the basic story setup was fine. Plus omigod twice the Doctor is more than twice the fun.

It's just that Who is generally so good with polish and subtlety that when they don't hit that mark, it grates. Especially after watching Empty Child/Doctor Dances again--excepting Rose on the barrage balloon I really have no complaints...maybe I'll find something else on rewatch 2x :)

In general, I love almost all of new Who, even Love and Monsters. Especially compared to the rest of what's on the Idiot box...ok, I'll except Idiot's Lantern and 42 depending on how forgiving I'm feeling. Granted the female companions do the damsel in distress thing or swallow the stupid pill too often for my taste, but can't have everything.

18. - Top - End - #1158

As long as we're airing grievances I pretty much universally like the Tenant "epic" less then Smith. To be fair the Gased Earth episode and The Master were pretty good. So many of them end with "and then the Doctor technobabbled the enemy to death" though. Children of Time could have been great but ends up being a string of techobabble contrivances. It also features a line is really just terrible.

Martha:Won't the Daleks be able to detect the [super special radio thing-y]

Jones:That the beauty of it. Its undetectable!

Oh well then!

19. - Top - End - #1159

Because Smith never gets an end almost as contrived.

"River Song pulls everyone out of the fire!"

"The Doctor uses Buffyspeak and then the person dies!"

"The Doctor gives a speech that would fit better in anime then wins!"

20. - Top - End - #1160

When did any of those happen?

No, I don't believe smith does. What I like about his epics is that they have a logically consistent story that isn't techno babble-y.

How did the Doctor save the world from the cracks? He used a machine capable of touching every point in the universe to recreate a "big bang" based off the remains of the old universe.

You can wrap your head around that. If that counts as technobabble its the way technobabble should be.

Oh and I just saw your post about "she has the interesting characteristic of being better then the Doctor". She is better at him at one thing. She can fly the Tardis. Jeeze did you get this upset at Donna's ability to notice and understand things about organization or Rose's ability to become one with the Tardis?
    Last edited by Nightmarenny; 2012-01-10 at 11:20 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1161

She can fly the Tardis. She is more intelligent then the Doctor. She could regenerate for a single contrived plot point (Honestly the entire partial Time Lord subplot was just silly. So silly they retconned every part of it other than 'fly the Tardis'.) She was/is a Time Lord.

No I didn't have a problem with Rose or Donna because those both had things that were part of the established backstory. I honestly liked River in the Library. She was human, she was at least clever enough to keep up with the Doctor, and she had some kind of intriguing background. Rose had foil characters up the wazoo, all of which were fairly interesting, (Although I hated her 'drop everything and help my dad' policy about her parents) and Donna had loads and loads of character development.

River Song just popped up in one episode after travelling back in time with a Vortex Manipulator, and when the Doctor finds out she has one he's like 'whatever' even though he broke Jack's multiple times, saying it wasn't something you should ever use. Not Jack personally mind you, he was against Vortex Manipulators in general.

Oh and then there's her backstory, which offends me on multiple levels. (She's Amy and Rory's daughter but also their best friend except she's raised in the future but also the past? The hell are you on about Moffat?)

I finished Wedding of River Song, which had plot twists that were like Saturday Morning cartoons. (The Doctor used the easily exploitable device! Also the thing started to regenerate but we are not going to explain how a robot tried to regenerate Time Lord style!) I felt that the wedding part of that was incredibly unnecessary, he didn't need to marry her to tell her that. Also I still don't know who Eye patch lady is, just that when I saw her I thought "Amy or River in the future or the past. Time shenanigans."

22. - Top - End - #1162

You fantastic at avoiding my questions. She is not more intelligent then the doctor there is no basis for saying that. Being able to regenerate does not make her better then the doctor. Rose's ability to enter the Tardis's heart is introduced as it happens. It is not part of the backstory.

Now please for once answer any one of the following questions.

Can you tell me specific time where the doctor acts like an idiot in front of River?

What episode did those three silly ending you claim happened happen?

Regarding The Wedding the point of it was to get her to go along with killing him but he wanted to Marry her beside. You don't start planning a number of fantastic dates for someone you married as part of a trick.
    Last edited by Nightmarenny; 2012-01-10 at 11:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1163

From the Doctor Who wiki

It should be noted that while the Tenth Doctor forbade Jack from using the manipulator, the Ninth Doctor had no issue with Jack being in possession of a fully functional vortex manipulator, never once attempting to disable it during their travels. This is presumably an act of caution as Jack is a fixed point in time, such as when the Doctor tried to leave Jack as he was running to the TARDIS in DW: Utopia.
    Of course that's not official canon so your free to disregard but then your faced with the fact that the 9th doctor had no interest in preventing Jack from having time travel.

24. - Top - End - #1164

I have seen a single mention of his fantastic dates. Well, from him. Once, offhand, right before Demon's Run. By River.

(I like what my friend believes, that the Doctor does this stuff out of pity for her because she loves him so much and he's usually like 'what who are you'.)

I didn't mention it because I thought Sunken Valley eloquently covered the points I wanted to make.

The Doctor Buffyspeaks so damn often I've lost count. He does the gives a speech and then wins in Almost People, and subverts it in The Pandorica Opens (They run away but REALLY THEY DON'T)

River Song save everyone is more of a midpoint or just me hating on the character. I love the actress, but the way she says "Hello sweetie" or "Spoilers" makes me physically cringe. Maybe because the line is so overused compared to her two-parter, where she says spoilers once. At her death scene.

Buffyspeaking in God Complex if I recall. And in the Girl Who Waited.

EDIT: Okay, fixed point in time for Jack. Doesn't mean the Doctor thinking it's cool that River kills stuff is a good thing when Nine and Ten usually avoided killing at all costs, or at least a second chance.

...Then again, she did kill most of the stuff in Impossible Astronaut where the Doctor committed casual genocide.

Also, despite what you apparently think, no I don't get upset over small details. I get upset over characters who are forcefully hammered into my face as "OMGAMAZING" or "SO COOOOL". I hated Lexi from Eureka and I hated Ginny in book 5 onwards as much as I hate River.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-01-11 at 12:24 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Meh, let's try it this way. Knowing River's history now, why doesn't she save the day at least once?

Library: yes, good ok she does. Ug, at least the Doctor came up with the how.
    Angels: doesn't, but is capable in the ep.
    Pandorica: sets up some of it, is lots of help, but is also there for mystery villain to do as yet mystery stuff unless there's more to be gleaned from The Lodger.
    Astronaut: capable but doesn't save the day.
    GMGtW: expository dialogue ending.
    Hitler: runs into problems, but fixable problems? Yes the episode was lots of subverted expectations and so on and was fun, but what else can you do (assume 45 minutes of dialog isn't going to be filmed lol)?
    Wedding: doesn't do much (well except break time, but yah).

For me, Kingston was great actor-ially speaking, and worked well with the rest of the cast (maybe not Donna, but they didn't interact much). I don't think many others feel differently or at least too differently there. I'll grant that River the character maybe worked better on paper than on the show in at least a few cases, but I'll need to go copy/paste from a few pages back on that :)

Terry576, things happen off screen. As I've said before, it's very easy to miss explanations (even when there are multiple in multiple episodes). Really, they've only been on one date in your mind?
    Last edited by LokeyITP; 2012-01-11 at 12:17 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1166

Sunken valley didn't give examples. I am asking for an example. Not a general overview of the series I still don't agree with.

You seem to think "buffy speak" is a sin unto itself. It would appear we are at an impasse there. Its also not technobabble so I'm not sure why you used it to counter my statement "Smith uses less technobabble"

You just watched "The wedding of River Song" the second to last line in the show is him saying that he plans on going underground "except nights which I'll spend with the missus"

27. - Top - End - #1167

Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    Terry576, things happen off screen. As I've said before, it's very easy to miss explanations (even when there are multiple in multiple episodes). Really, they've only been on one date in your mind?
    Shhhh in my mind there is no silly implied subplot for Rory that Amy likes the Doctor better, and also Ginny dies at the end of Book 7.

Nightmare, if you're going to do that than I can pull the same thing. Where is River less intelligent then the Doctor? Where is she less capable then him?

Smith buffyspeaks all the time. Basically whenever he's relegated to plot exposition he buffyspeaks, and his technobabble is often so utterly incomprehensible and beyond you actually understanding, except its not being comedic. Its dead serious technobabble.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2012-01-11 at 12:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1168

Shhhh in my mind there is no silly implied subplot for Rory that Amy likes the Doctor better, and also Ginny dies at the end of Book 7.

Nightmare, if you're going to do that than I can pull the same thing. Where is River less intelligent then the Doctor? Where is she less capable then him?
    easy,

he comes up with the plan that saves them in the Library. She only carries it out

In Flesh and stone not only does she bring him there because he can do what she cannot, which is an implicit proof but the Doctor also creates a plan to suck the angels into the crack and fix both problems. Not only does she only realize this at the last second she need several hints from the Doctor.

The Doctor saves the universe in "The Pandorica opens" River has all the same info but can't come up with the same plan. The Doctor is even able to save himself by implanting a suggestion in Amy's mind. Though I suppose it could be argued that River helped.

The Doctor creates a machine to help keep track of the silence and later a plan to kill them. River shoots things and jumps off a building. She is clever enough to find the younger doctor though.

The Doctor tricks River into saving him in "lets Kill Hitler"

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Orc in the Playground

(The Doctor used the easily exploitable device! Also the thing started to regenerate but we are not going to explain how a robot tried to regenerate Time Lord style!)
    Why explain the obvious? It is a VERY advanced robot capable of shrinking people and transporting them inside, changing its shape and appearance. It is REALLY any kind of stretch to think it can be programmed by a Time Lord to produce a light show?

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

Agree so much on the ending of the trechnobabble to death. Loved Tennent's run but it got old fast.

Also out of curiosity what makes it buffy speak when Smith monologues? And not when Tennent does it?

Because Smith never gets an end almost as contrived.

"River Song pulls everyone out of the fire!"

"The Doctor uses Buffyspeak and then the person dies!"

"The Doctor gives a speech that would fit better in anime then wins!"
    I can place none of these.
    Last edited by Xondoure; 2012-01-11 at 01:33 AM.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show