New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Antique cookbooks for someone with an interest in old recipes?

So as the title suggests, I greatly enjoy getting to find out about the foods of past eras. Lately, ever since coming across some recipes from the 1570s, I've been getting curious if anyone might have cookbooks they'd suggest checking out from the 1800s or earlier? Any culture or region works. I'm just curious about past dishes in general~
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Antique cookbooks for someone with an interest in old recipes?

The Forme of Cury is a major one, and it's easily available digitally.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The famous Mrs Beeton cookbook (and general book of household management) was written in the 1860s and you can probably still buy a copy new, but I'm not sure if that's olde fashioned enough for you?

A quick search also turned up this website, which looks like it might be of interest:

http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec.html

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The famous Mrs Beeton cookbook (and general book of household management) was written in the 1860s and you can probably still buy a copy new, but I'm not sure if that's olde fashioned enough for you?

A quick search also turned up this website, which looks like it might be of interest:

http://www.godecookery.com/engrec/engrec.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The Forme of Cury is a major one, and it's easily available digitally.
    Basically anything pre-1900s works(1900s ones are still neat to flip through, but also much easier to find).
    Thank you for the link and names.
    The history of food and cookbooks is fascinating to me, seeing what people ate at various points in time, and how recipe writing changed over the centuries. Plus it's useful(and fun) when writing up settings for stories or tabletop campaigns(and if I get the energy, it means I could even taste test dishes I'm writing about :3 ).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Apicius is famous, but I doubt you'd want to eat that stuff.

Pellegrino Artusi is regarded as very good, and he's been translated in English. (End of XIX century)

There are a few Medieval and Reinassance cooking manuals. E.g. Martino da Como's "Libro de arte coquinaria", which has been translated in English. (XV century).
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-11-14 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a side note... be aware that actually trying to use any of the old baking recipes will cause problems. The flour etc. was different back then and as a result the proportions don't seem to work with modern ingredients. Even when I dig up an old family recipe for biscuits from the 1930s, the wet/dry proportions are really messed up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So as the title suggests, I greatly enjoy getting to find out about the foods of past eras. Lately, ever since coming across some recipes from the 1570s, I've been getting curious if anyone might have cookbooks they'd suggest checking out from the 1800s or earlier? Any culture or region works. I'm just curious about past dishes in general~
    Have a look into Marie-Antoine Carême: one of the most celebrated chefs of his era and who published a number of cookbooks. His recipes are a little archaic but can be adapted.

If you haven't come across Escoffier, you should definitely check him out. His work was published in the early 20th century but his career started much earlier and it gives a picture of 19th century fine dining, heavily influenced by Carême. However, as the basis for much - arguably most - modern cuisine, you probably want to go back further than him to get an idea of historic eating.

Often (pre-Carêmian) historic food is difficult to reproduce or unpalatable to modern diners. This may be due to unavailable ingredients - various things were eaten then that aren't now, and some ingredients were of lower quality meaning that treatments applied in the past are no longer necessary - changes in taste, or because at certain points spectacle was favoured over edibility. Recipes themselves are often hard to deal with, using frustratingly vague or obsolete measures ("a plate of cream") or making assumptions about the knowledge and abilities of the cook which would be appropriate for contemporaries but hopeless for modern cooks.

However, updated cookbooks abound with recipes inspired by the food of past eras, where people have applied themselves to making versions which are replicable and tasty. There have been a few forays into the dining habits of Samuel Pepys, for instance, as he talks about food a lot. I have a copy of a book called Pepys at Table which has some recipes suitable for the period.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Gonk learn from Grog. Grog learn from Og. Secret is to remove bowel BEFORE meat put on fire."
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

It's not a cookbook, but if you are interested in old recipes, you should check out 18th Century Cooking with Jas Townsend on YouTube. He has everything from survival foods to country breakfasts to classy desserts. It's really neat =)
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions"

~Director Cedrik - OotS #640

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry for my slowness in replying. Thank you guys for the links and suggestions. And I do realize some old enough recipes might seem odd/need adjustments, but it's for an interest in history that I am researching this kind of stuff.

Plus if a recipe calls for weird measures/obscure ingredients, then that's just another thing for me to research and track down. :3
    Meow(Steam page)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

One thing I notice reading old cook books is how an ingredient that's expensive nowadays could be real cheap back in the day. My dad has one where a lobster recipe begins with "Put forth two dozen lobsters".

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Ah, yes. Lobster. The cockroach of the sea.

There's an old law from Basel, which specifically forbade burghers from feeding their servants salmon more than twice a week, because they got so sick of it. (Salmon later went extinct in the Rhine).
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

http://coquinaria.nl/en has quite a few recipes translated from historical cook books, ranging from Roman antiquity to early modern. Most of them are from Western Europe, but there is plenty from other regions. It's worth browsing through, I reckon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
    One thing I notice reading old cook books is how an ingredient that's expensive nowadays could be real cheap back in the day. My dad has one where a lobster recipe begins with "Put forth two dozen lobsters".
    It also goes the other way - chicken was way more expensive than beef in the early 1900s, being meat for the wealthy or a very rare treat for the comfortable.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    It also goes the other way - chicken was way more expensive than beef in the early 1900s, being meat for the wealthy or a very rare treat for the comfortable.
    One of my older cookbooks has a recipe for "mock chicken" made from veal because of this. (In addition to the more general beef/chicken price switch, veal also used to be cheaper/more common with earlier farming practices.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The Fanny Farmer Cook Book series was written by Fanny Farmer up until 1918, but has editions going back prior to the 1900's (And for the MODS...that edition is WELL past the 75 year copyright expiration timeframe, so it's public domain now).
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."