New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Ops. My bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Team Evil

Xykon, pseudonym (SOD)
    Chaotic Evil, Human male lich, Sorcerer 21+
    Since Xykon cast a Maximised Energy Drain and can cast Epic spells, doesn't that point to him having at least 4 Epic feats? That would put him at level 26+. Epic feats coming at L21,23,24, and 26. The feats being Epic Spellcasting and Improved Spellcasting x3 The fight on the dragon where Roy died indicates that he must also have a huge Concentration skill as Roy did 55+ HP a swing against those mummies. And in episode 442, Xykon muses that hes got 7, 8, or even more levels on Roy.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Since Xykon cast a Maximised Energy Drain and can cast Epic spells, doesn't that point to him having at least 4 Epic feats? That would put him at level 26+. Epic feats coming at L21,23,24, and 26. The feats being Epic Spellcasting and Improved Spellcasting x3 The fight on the dragon where Roy died indicates that he must also have a huge Concentration skill as Roy did 55+ HP a swing against those mummies. And in episode 442, Xykon muses that hes got 7, 8, or even more levels on Roy.
    That's another one of the big arguments that's been rehashed a lot without convincing anyone. Some people think explanations involving non-core feats (Sudden Maximize) or major magic items that aren't shown (greater metamagic rod of maximize) should be considered and are more likely than the sheer number of levels required for Xykon to have that many epic feats. Others think these alternative explanations are not viable without specific evidence and the number of levels required is within reason.

This disagreement grew into an enormous hostile debate with almost no one being convinced to change sides, and the resolution we ended up with is that the listed stats are a minimum that every explanation with significant backing require and, for the good of the thread, the argument itself is just dropped.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixc-91 View Post
    Something we might want to talk about, but it would depend on whether Qarr is actually Z'sfammilar or not: If I am reading this right, for Z to have Qarr as a famillar Z's alignment would have to be lawful neutral, lawful evil or neutral evil. The problem being that if Qarr isn't technically Z's fammilar then we have nothing concrete.
    It strikes me that even if Qarr isn't Z's familiar any more, he used to be in the past, and therefore Z must meet all the prerequisites for having an imp familiar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperordaniel View Post
    Yeah; I mean, in theory he could have Stand on Mount as low as 17th level, but it would require his Ride rank to be maxxed out and his having rolled a natural 20
    Well, he also adds his dexterity modifier, which could be as high as +6 by now. Still, it does prove that he has the skill trained.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    That's another one of the big arguments that's been rehashed a lot without convincing anyone. Some people think explanations involving non-core feats (Sudden Maximize) or major magic items that aren't shown (greater metamagic rod of maximize) should be considered and are more likely than the sheer number of levels required for Xykon to have that many epic feats. Others think these alternative explanations are not viable without specific evidence and the number of levels required is within reason.
    Basically this, but remember that Improved Spell Capacity is also a non-core feat. This one is in the FAQ; I think I should also add a FAQ entry for Belkar's wisdom, but as that's ages ago I'd have to think of a good wording.

However, it is worth considering what comic #442 indicates about Xykon's concentration skill (bearing in mind that he has a constitution modifier of zero).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    However, it is worth considering what comic #442 indicates about Xykon's concentration skill (bearing in mind that he has a constitution modifier of zero).
    He does show contempt at V blowing an "easy" Concentration check, which suggests he has a high score himself.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    He does show contempt at V blowing an "easy" Concentration check, which suggests he has a high score himself.
    Good point. Okay, so I think that Xykon definitely has the skill trained. It will be hard to pin down a number though.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #37
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Basically this, but remember that Improved Spell Capacity is also a non-core feat.
    It's as close to core as you can get for epic rules.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    But don't undead completely lack a Constitution score? If I remember right, the Concentration skill is CON-based, which means that Xykon would automatically fail every Concentration check he's subjected to.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

But don't undead completely lack a Constitution score? If I remember right, the Concentration skill is CON-based, which means that Xykon would automatically fail every Concentration check he's subjected to.
    Wait wait wait. If I recall correctly, undead spellcasters make their concentration checks on charisma instead (which Xykon has in spades).

10. - Top - End - #40

Being undead, Xykon would use his (high) Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Spamalot in the Playground

Xykon has no room to talk really, considering some mid-level paladins who weren't even overcoming his DR made him blow a 9th too.

Concentration checks in general are pretty hard to make in OotS. Someone made the corresponding joke that the Giant must be using Pathfinder rules after all
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Xykon has no room to talk really, considering some mid-level paladins who weren't even overcoming his DR made him blow a 9th too.

Concentration checks in general are pretty hard to make in OotS. Someone made the corresponding joke that the Giant must be using Pathfinder rules after all
    Is it possible he blew that check on purpose to distract them from the bouncy ball of craziness?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, so I'm thinking Tarquin has levels in monk (among other things), because he's used improved versions of deflect arrow and stunning fist (well, with an axe, but still). I don't think there's sufficient evidence for this yet but it would explain part of his abilities.
    I agree, and there is a strong evidence that helps to prove it:
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0853.html

Seems like he is evading Malack's Flame Strike. I think it's time to return to that discussion about the divine damage of this spell, because I don't think Tarquin would go unharmed against it even if he had magical protection against fire.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

You can't evade with armor. Plus, armor catching and stning fist are fighter feats, too. For me, Tarquin is a Fighter with an insane number of feats in core, probably has a lot of situational feats like Blindfight, Catch arrows or Stunning fist. Plus, probably some item gives him fire inmunity.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sorry, I forgot that detail.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Z has Teleport. Nale no longer has his longsword (which I now notice was never updated in the OP). Tarquin no longer has his axe.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Z has Teleport. Nale no longer has his longsword (which I now notice was never updated in the OP). Tarquin no longer has his axe.
    And Z is not blind, and is thus level 16 as he was only deafened by the Holy Word.

18. - Top - End - #48

Both Tarquin and Zz'dtri have Speak Language: Drow Sign Language.

19. - Top - End - #49

Kilkil is 5-9 levels below Durkon; he was paralyzed this whole time.

EDIT: scratch the Nale bit.
    EDIT2: Whoops, that was already on there.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-08-30 at 07:50 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Another minor tidbit, but the reveal that Tarquin has Speak Language: Drow Sign Language means that we have either locked his Int from level 1 as 12+, or that he has at least one rank in Speak Language. Considering his monologue after revealing he knew the language, it seems to me that he picked up the skill rank in order to keep up with a "new fad" in the form of Drow characters everywhere.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It's as close to core as you can get for epic rules.

I agree, he is OBVIOUSLY epic as he mentions it, therefore he has the epic 'skills, spells, etc' therefore why would ISC be "non-core" ???
    Bard with the self-discipline of a kitten on cocaine....
    The "Tiny Firebreathing Avatar of Death!" himself!

I am a Neutral Good Human Bard/Wizard (6th/4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by baerdith View Post
    I agree, he is OBVIOUSLY epic as he mentions it, therefore he has the epic 'skills, spells, etc' therefore why would ISC be "non-core" ???
    Because it is, by a strict definition of 'core'. It's not in the PHB, DMG, or MM1. *shrug*

Yes, lots of people use "core" to refer to "basically everything in the SRD", but not everyone means that.

Also, the ELH was originally made for 3.0, not 3.5, and then somewhat-halfheartedly updated, so it doesn't always fit very well with the rest of 3.5. The distinction is valid.
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I just want to say that if this isn't the weirdest line of argument I've seen this thread take yet, it's not for lack of trying.

23. - Top - End - #53

PaladinGuy

That's another one of the big arguments that's been rehashed a lot without convincing anyone. Some people think ... more likely than the sheer number of levels required for Xykon to have that many epic feats.
    Heh. Then I won't re-open the debate.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, Tarquin is strong enough to carry Nale.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Concentration checks in general are pretty hard to make in OotS.
    Any and all saves in general seem to be hard to make, storytelling fiat makes spells almost universally effective to save panels and make magic work as a device.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Skaven View Post
    Any and all saves in general seem to be hard to make, storytelling fiat makes spells almost universally effective to save panels and make magic work as a device.
    Nah, I wouldn't agree with this. The paladins for instance very rarely fail saves. Reflex saves tend to work (Haley, Nale, Sabine.) Disintegrate only one-shot one character (and an object) on-camera, in all other instances it failed to get the job done. Finger of Death has failed every time it's come out.

And then we have this

The one category of saves that fail regularly are will vs. charm/compulsion, and those tend to be used against weak-minded foes anyway (Belkar, Thog, Enor) so it's to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorator View Post
    Because it is, by a strict definition of 'core'. It's not in the PHB, DMG, or MM1. *shrug*

Yes, lots of people use "core" to refer to "basically everything in the SRD", but not everyone means that.

Also, the ELH was originally made for 3.0, not 3.5, and then somewhat-halfheartedly updated, so it doesn't always fit very well with the rest of 3.5. The distinction is valid.
    We have objective proof that ISC is in play. V does not possess any rods, and his splices have no objects either (being souls), yet he cast a 10th-level spell.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-08-31 at 01:21 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #57

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul-n View Post
    Also, Tarquin is strong enough to carry Nale.
    Yes, but unless we have a way to pin down Nale's weight, this doesn't help us much. i guess we could look at bare minimums, but unless we know what kind of armor T wears, our estimates are going to be, probably, off by a bit. Minimum height for human male is 5 feet tall, the corresponding weight (at the minimum possibility) is 124lbs. to be able to lift 124 lbs (as your maximum load) you need to have a str score of 12.
    See carrying capacity and description pages in SRD for references.
    Hmm, if we assume the armor he has on is at least as heavy as breastplate armor (30lbs, the same stuff Roy wears) then you can up T's min Str to 14.
    I am guessing breastplate because T is clearly a fighter or fighter variant and therefore probably wears medium armor or heavier gear, since the only medium armor lighter than breastplate is hide armor (which is inferior to breastplate, with a lower max AC bonus) and no one commented on Thog wearing hide armor that we can probably rule it out.
    Impossible is a biased statement.
    "You are what you do. Choose again, and change." --Miles Vorkosigan

link to the thread translating Haley's babel speech
    this is a must read for all: Common misconceptions (i am in no way joking, please read it)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So do we have at least enough information to determine that Tarquin has the Ride skill trained?

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by RustyVenture View Post
    So do we have at least enough information to determine that Tarquin has the Ride skill trained?
    I believe we do. As that specific move he did has a DC of 40, and since his minimum character level is 17 and his minimum DEX score is 13, that would mean that he has at least 20 points in the skill after modifiers are taken into account, or 19 points before the Dexterity modifier is added (20 points before modifiers would indicate him having maxxed out the skill).

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felixc-91 View Post
    Yes, but unless we have a way to pin down Nale's weight, this doesn't help us much. i guess we could look at bare minimums, but unless we know what kind of armor T wears, our estimates are going to be, probably, off by a bit. Minimum height for human male is 5 feet tall, the corresponding weight (at the minimum possibility) is 124lbs. to be able to lift 124 lbs (as your maximum load) you need to have a str score of 12.
    See carrying capacity and description pages in SRD for references.
    Hmm, if we assume the armor he has on is at least as heavy as breastplate armor (30lbs, the same stuff Roy wears) then you can up T's min Str to 14.
    I am guessing breastplate because T is clearly a fighter or fighter variant and therefore probably wears medium armor or heavier gear, since the only medium armor lighter than breastplate is hide armor (which is inferior to breastplate, with a lower max AC bonus) and no one commented on Thog wearing hide armor that we can probably rule it out.
    Nale is 5'11'' according to the wanted poster.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)