New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who Thread III: Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow

The Silents obviously avoid the other races the same way they avoided humans for thousands of years.

Presumably a few got Exterminate!-ed or whatever when Daleks have been around but no report would come of it.

Heck I think it an open question what even the Doctor remembers about them.
    1: Avoided humans for a thousand years? When did that happen? Can't remember anything about that :/

Also, they DO interact with other races. It was hinted several times in the show, like in the Episode: The Vampires from Venice, where the whole almost-extinct fish people specie "ran from the silence".

2: Nobody knows, it's the silence, their existence is based on being able to manipulate behind the scene without ever being noticed. (And have lemur fingers that shoot lightning)

3: As far as I remember he didn't. He got some hints, and later on he was able to remember them because of the silence religions special eye wear.

What is really interesting is what happened after the doctor got erased from history.
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-24 at 11:01 AM.
    Halloween Inspired 3.5 content
    Eldritch Cultist [3.5 Base Class]

A Vitreous Drinker with a Robe of Eyes, for that extra eye feel.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Presumably a few got Exterminate!-ed or whatever when Daleks have been around but no report would come of it.
    that rises another question..
    are the Silent inherently forgettable or is thiers a jedi-mind trick that requires a conscious effort from their part?
    in other words.. say you kill a Silent and other Silents don't know/find out about it.. does his body still get forgotten as soon as you don't look at it?
    I'm guessing it should end up on all kinds of recordings..morgue registers, actually being on one of those trays.. lying there..
    even if it's inherently forgettable, a dead body is still a dead body..it doesn't bugger off on its own so you're bound to stumble across it enough times to figure out a thing or two..
    which makes their ability to evade detection from other enemy races..epic-level
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    that rises another question..
    are the Silent inherently forgettable or is thiers a jedi-mind trick that requires a conscious effort from their part?
    in other words.. say you kill a Silent and other Silents don't know/find out about it.. does his body still get forgotten as soon as you don't look at it?
    I'm guessing it should end up on all kinds of recordings..morgue registers, actually being on one of those trays.. lying there..
    even if it's inherently forgettable, a dead body is still a dead body..it doesn't bugger off on its own so you're bound to stumble across it enough times to figure out a thing or two..
    which makes their ability to evade detection from other enemy races..epic-level
    Remember that you even forget their photos if you look away, so I would say that it is inherent to the species. The real question is, do the Silence know what they look like? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuEatYou View Post
    1: Avoided humans for a thousand years? When did that happen? Can't remember anything about that :/
    Of course not.

You however an eye drive will tell you about being here since "the wheel and fire" not being poetry.

Also, they DO interact with other races. It was hinted several times in the show, like in the Episode: The Vampires from Venice, where the whole almost-extinct fish people specie "ran from the silence".
    You touch on why the race is best referred to as the Silents.

Because "the Silence" is much more ambiguous. It could refer to the events of series 5, the organization/religion working with the Silents of series 6 who can be remember, or the coming event at Trenzalore. Probably all of them.

Ultimately all the events surrounding the arc words don't quite add up.

3: As far as I remember he didn't. He got some hints, and later on he was able to remember them because of the silence religions special eye wear.
    I meant when its all said an done at the end of series 6

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Remember that you even forget their photos if you look away, so I would say that it is inherent to the species. The real question is, do the Silence know what they look like? :P
    Since evidently they organize and are aware of their history presumably they are not subject to their own effect.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

Apologies for double post, but just thought I'd leave this here.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apologies for double post, but just thought I'd leave this here.
    Damn, they are really getting worse :/
    Halloween Inspired 3.5 content
    Eldritch Cultist [3.5 Base Class]

A Vitreous Drinker with a Robe of Eyes, for that extra eye feel.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Nahh they've been stronger lately, though not so much here. This one's sadly only mid tier or so.

I do credit them for evidently doing their research though.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

There was a lull but they seem to be picking up again. This I quite enjoyed, but mainly for the brilliant Dr. Who, Doc Brown was less impressive.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I was a little sad they picked 10 and 4 for the doctors. I like 9 the most myself.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ettin in the Playground

I was a little sad they picked 10 and 4 for the doctors. I like 9 the most myself.
    Nine? Interesting! I generally hear another doctor rather than him! What do you like most?

As for the Doctor vs Dr. rap...I'm generally a fan of the ERB series...but I didn't really like this one at all.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

I am a major Eccleston fan, but I can understand them picking Tennant over Eccleston, because he's way more recognizable (and fanbase-popular). Which is sad, because I prefer Eccleston and Smith as portrayals of The Doctor.

Of course, including Baker's Doctor was a stroke of awesome, IMO.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Man, I wish I'd informed you guys that yet another audio play has been playing on Radio 4 Extra over the past month. Unfortunately it's been one part a week so iPlayer only has the most recent part up.
    The play is called "Cobwebs", it involves an abandoned research station and knowing your own future. Its Doctor is the 5th alongside Tegan, Turlough and Nyssa.
    We're 3/4 of the way through so far and it's a pretty neat story I think (obviously part 4 could ruin everything, but it's good so far).
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-10-30 at 03:09 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

13. - Top - End - #853
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Man, I wish I'd informed you guys that yet another audio play has been playing on Radio 4 Extra over the past month. Unfortunately it's been one part a week so iPlayer only has the most recent part up.
    The play is called "Cobwebs", it involves an abandoned research station and knowing your own future. Its Doctor is the 5th alongside Tegan, Turlough and Nyssa.
    We're 3/4 of the way through so far and it's a pretty neat story I think (obviously part 4 could ruin everything, but it's good so far).
    I am unfamilar with the audio plays. Can you tell me more? Or provide links?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    I am unfamilar with the audio plays. Can you tell me more? Or provide links?
    If you don't mind starting half way in to the story, here's a link to the current series on iplayer if you're the UK (the episode starts about 1:20 in).

I think there two styles of "audio plays". One style is where it is treated like an audio book where they have a single narrator basically reading a book, I believe this is the style most New Who audio plays use (I haven't heard any so this is just from
    The other style is much more like an old Who episode but in audio form, they generally get the actors to reprise their roles when they appear in a story. Big Finish tend to produce the ones of the latter style, and they put out a new story each month.

I've only heard a sliver of what is out there, but what I have heard is good. I'd particularly recommend the stories involving the 7th doctor and Klein (A Thousand Tiny Wings, Klein's Story, Survival of the Fittest, & The Architects of History)
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Nine? Interesting! I generally hear another doctor rather than him! What do you like most?

As for the Doctor vs Dr. rap...I'm generally a fan of the ERB series...but I didn't really like this one at all.
    A couple reasons. He is more serious than the other doctors, which I love as he is coming out of the time war. Both Eccleston and Tennant played through sections where the Doctor was less than heroic (how many genocides did Tennant commit without blinking while letting anything Timelordoid go?), but I felt Eccleston dealt with his hatred of the Daleks in a more direct way.

Yeah, it wasn't the best one.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I am a major Eccleston fan, but I can understand them picking Tennant over Eccleston, because he's way more recognizable (and fanbase-popular). Which is sad, because I prefer Eccleston and Smith as portrayals of The Doctor.

Of course, including Baker's Doctor was a stroke of awesome, IMO.
    Yeah for every Who fan that has their favorite... there are legions of more casually aware folk who probably can probably only think of 4 and 10 when someone says "Doctor Who"

I have no ranking for Classic but Ten is far and away my favorite NuWho. While somewhat retroactive in crystallizing this opinion I think its because I always picked up on how he utterly loved being the Doctor.

(Also not to come down on anybody in particular but Eccleston... don't get it. Other then a bit hipster-ing logic as the "least obvious" choice or that he's somehow extra tragic for not having more time. Not saying that anyone here is doing that... Best Doctor is like Best Pony, every Doctor is Best Doctor... while okay he was always just okay. I think I might just not like the hair or something.)

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

(Also not to come down on anybody in particular but Eccleston... don't get it. Other then a bit hipster-ing logic as the "least obvious" choice or that he's somehow extra tragic for not having more time. Not saying that anyone here is doing that... Best Doctor is like Best Pony, every Doctor is Best Doctor... while okay he was always just okay. I think I might just not like the hair or something.)
    Eccleston won me over with The Empty Child. There was a nuanced blend of furious, goofy, and driven that really resonated with me. Eccleston's Doctor is The Oncoming Storm, and he's also "Fantastic!".

For some reasons, I think this really sums it up for me...

"Eccleston was a tiger and Tennant was, well, Tigger. Smith is an uncoordinated housecat who pretends that he meant to do that after falling off a piece of furniture."
    - Lynne M. Thomas

Which is also the reason why Smith's Doctor has been working his way into my heart very adeptly. The tiger and the kitty. And with his more furious turns, I feel that Smith is not only capturing tragedy better than Tennant did, but he's also blending elements of Eccleston's Doctor back in.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Tennant wasn't Tigger. He's... I want to say a cobra but that's not quite it. He's all about warnings, he'll give you every chance to stop, and if you don't. Wrath of the Timelord.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #859
    Colossus in the Playground

I think I have found my problem with Smith, after rewatching a few episodes. I don't buy his anger. He doesn't sell it to me. He doesn't look furious. He looks like a man pretending to be furious. He can do happy, and confused, and excited, but not furious.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

@CarpeGuitarrem:

I can see where you're coming from but don't share it. I always felt Eccleston was kinda a jerk. My quintessential moment for him is him ranting at the Dalek, him being happy, inquisitive, or silly just never clicked with me

While I think Rose always had other intentions (quiet aside from 'lol imma save my dad') he's not someone I ever quite felt was someone I buy people wanting to travel through time with. Share a drink with in a bar maybe sure, watch a football game with or something.... but I never quite believed for example he could fell himself "falling through space" or the like. Its that fantastic part that fails.

Maybe its the hair, or lack thereof.

While Tennant I think (while arguably verging on bipolar) could be serious, sentimental, or silly with equal believability. I might call Tigger fair, except hit the wrong button once too often and suddenly its this Immortal Angry Cat Demigod piercing your soul and ready to rip you apart. And I think Tennant was always great at acting with a look, a great deal of looks from his Doctor.

Smith... I think has has so far been a bit too much style without enough substance. I don't know whether to blame this on Smith or his material. It certainly doesn't help that I get the impression that collectively everyone was a little too afraid to rock the boat and so 10 to 11 is arguably the smallest change between characters. Not that I've seen enough Classic to make that but just in description from I feel each manages to be distinct, though probably the outfits. I can still do that between Tennant and Smith but its not as far.

I characterize it like being in a bar and finishing your drink and telling the bartender to suprise you and the the suprise is... a drink similar to the one you just had. One may be better then the other, but the second still suffers for being not that different. Again possibly the outfits in play here shaping my perceptions.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

@CarpeGuitarrem:

I can see where you're coming from but don't share it. I always felt Eccleston was kinda a jerk. My quintessential moment for him is him ranting at the Dalek, him being happy, inquisitive, or silly just never clicked with me
    My Dad has the same opinion on that, and I also agree that was probably Nine's best moment.

I think Eleven is my favourite (and before that it was Ten, who was a hard act to follow); but I think there might be some degree of bias because part of Eleven's charm has come from having the best supporting cast the Doctor has ever had (the fact he's had consistently 2.5 companions - all of whom I like - a first, even for classic, where sometimes (e.g. Five) had that number, but I didn't like all of them). I also, to be fair, like the somewhat nasty edge behind the clown (a bit like Two).

22. - Top - End - #862
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I'm hesitant to call Eccleston's portrayal underplayed, but there's tons of things there depending on how you look at them. I think his doctor preferred working in the background...well at least more so than Tenant's and much more so than Smith's. Hard to say without more thought.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    My Dad has the same opinion on that, and I also agree that was probably Nine's best moment.
    Good to know I'm not alone in that assessment. And I should add its not that being a jerk is the worst character choice, just not something I'm quite buy for the role.

I always totally bought Nine as the war survivor who's definitely not over it though. Something that (I suspect by accident) makes for a nice little character arc between the three Doctors as they move away and get past the Time War.

(Though its not quite gone even now, then again A Town Called Mercy feels kinda like a Tennant/Davies episode that got shelved for while and then pulled out later)

I think Eleven is my favourite (and before that it was Ten, who was a hard act to follow); but I think there might be some degree of bias because part of Eleven's charm has come from having the best supporting cast the Doctor has ever had (the fact he's had consistently 2.5 companions - all of whom I like - a first, even for classic, where sometimes (e.g. Five) had that number, but I didn't like all of them). I also, to be fair, like the somewhat nasty edge behind the clown (a bit like Two).
    I will say that is something I'm convinced of from Smith/Moffat, the show is better with multiple companions.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

I had the opposite reaction to Eccleston and Tennant: I always found Nine believable, while Ten was just too ridiculously over-the-top to ever be credible ("equal believability" in any mood, sure - 0=0). Especially in Season Two, Tennant overacted like crazy - though he did get better with time, and was mostly bearable by Season Four. I suspect this may have been habit due to Tennant's coming to the role from the stage, where you have to overplay everything because even the good seats are several feet away; film and TV acting requires more subtlety, since the camera can get right up in the your face with a close-up for the critical character moments. I also liked (and believed) Eccleston's on-screen chemistry with Billie Piper better than Tennant's.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I may have posted this before, but I think that Eccleston's probably the best actor to ever play The Doctor (though Matt Smith just seems to keep getting better and better in the role), but I still have reservations about the way Nine was written.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Dwarf in the Playground

I agree with Soras Teva Gee and Aotrs Commander -- that was a perfect moment for Eccleston, but I never really felt his portrayl worked for me. I loved Tennent -- there was something about his performance that just was just so much more beliveable even when the scene itself was rather out there. I have loved Smith's episodes, but that was becuase of his companions -- Amy and Rory were just perfect (Rory more so than Amy, I admit) to the point that the Doctor was less of a central character for me (more of a story catalyst than a title protagonist). I will say this though, Darvill, Gillan, and Smith had a chemistry on the screen that was magical, which is probably why the Ponds came to life so well. With the new companion set to enter, it will be interesting to see if Smith remains so far ahead in my assessment of the Doctors verses Eccleston.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just a friendly reminder that Children in Need is on this Friday and they are going to be showing something Doctor Who related, A prequel to the Christmas episode I think.
    Also there's another audioplay being broadcast on Radio 4Extra on Sundays, here's a link to the first episode
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

So... I just sat down and saw the 1996 movie with a friend... and it was so terrible! I mean, okay, not terrible, terrible, but bad. The... Eight was decent enough but all the weird stuff with the Master, the Eye of Harmony, pretty much everything that happened in this movie was just so off...

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that movie was bad.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental