New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Hey cool, I already have my commendation pack from doing the challenge this morning at 10!
    You should have immediately received it after completing the challenge. Mine was waiting for me as soon as I entered the store.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

2. - Top - End - #602
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Having just played the Fuel Depots mission, I can confirm that it does involve toxic levels of radiation, depicted as clouds of greenish gas that you need to disperse.

Anyway. I recently decided to play through the entire Mass Effect trilogy for the first time, and I came across - this evening - one of the few instances in which my enjoyment of media was enhanced by spoilers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I knew, going into the final mission on Rannoch, that there were three possible results: I could betray the Geth, leading Legion to turn on me; I could let the Quarians die, leading to Tali's death; or I could broker peace between them, and everything would be happy forever. As a pro-free-Geth, Tali-romancing Paragon Shepard, the last choice was obviously the best one.

So I go kill a reaper, and brace myself to make some wicked peace, yo. Legion brings up the idea of using Reaper upgrades to make all Geth truly sentient, Tali objects because General Warmonger is charging the Geth fleet, and then I get the choice: upload the upgrades and doom the Quarian fleet, or backstab Legion and the entire Geth race. Wait, where's my third option?

Where's the third option?

If I hadn't thought that I held the lives of Legion and Tali in my hands with that one decision, I don't think I would have ended up staring at the screen in mute, wide-eyed horror. I certainly would have felt some of the gravity of the moment, but not with vivid, terrifying intensity - it wouldn't really have sunk in. Betray a fledgling, oft-betrayed AI race - not so different to EDI, a loyal companion - to save the life of Shepard's beloved, out of naked fear and selfishness. Or give them the chance to truly live, at the cost of the Quarians who trusted Shepard, who Shepard had been fighting for, Tali most of all. The cursor flicked back and forth between the two choices; again and again, I came to the brink of selecting one, only to back down, uncertain again.

But what it boiled down to, in the end, is that there was a chance - however slim - that no one else had to die. Betraying the Geth was a hopeless choice, born from fear. ("I won't let fear compromise who I am.") I couldn't choose it. And if that meant losing Tali, then... so be it. Upload the upgrades.

I was very gratified when it turned out that the next thing I could do was Paragonning the Quarian fleet to stand down. Less so when Legion's last words were keelah sel'ai. Ow, that hurt.

I don't think I'm going to be forgetting that anytime soon. Right up there with the last rendition of Scientist Salarian and praying for Thane.
    And that is why the ending was such a slap in the face for me, because it came after an otherwise brillianrly executed game.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

75? Is it a platinum medal? O_O waaaant
    Are you sure it wasn't just 75 kills? I let myself get mulched after 50 for the gold medal.
    I'm pretty sure it said 75 Melee kills. I think they don't have a 100 melee kills medal, though. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it.

Also, after seeing this http://youtu.be/zwO9PSe-uG4, Destroy is suddenly looking very appealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

It's a Gold medal for melee kills - definitely 50. I've received mine just now for it.

And got an Eagle III in my box.
    Looks like I'll be picking up pistols for a while, instead of the shiny new character classes. I've still only got half of the N7 guys, and apart from the QMI and Geth Engineer everything from THAT DLC too.....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2012-10-20 at 09:35 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

You know, I wonder why the Reapers didn't get a new unit in the newest update. There's no shortage of possible ideas, so I'm guessing balance reasons, time constraints or something like that.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    You know, I wonder why the Reapers didn't get a new unit in the newest update. There's no shortage of possible ideas, so I'm guessing balance reasons, time constraints or something like that.
    Also, they have a unit for every slot, unlike Cerberus and Geth.

Mook: Cannibal, Assault Trooper, Geth Trooper.
    Shielded Mook: Marauder, Centurion, Rocket Trooper.
    Special Mook lv. 1: Husk, Nemesis, Hunter.
    Armored unit: Ravager, Dragoon, Pyro
    Special mook lv. 2: Brute, Phantom, Bomber
    Boss Unit: Banshee, Atlas, Prime
    And so on.
    There are some gaps (for instance I'm not sure which slot the Combat Engineer fits in) but Reapers fill them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Looks like I'll be picking up pistols for a while, instead of the shiny new character classes. I've still only got half of the N7 guys, and apart from the QMI and Geth Engineer everything from THAT DLC too.....
    I got an Eagle IV!
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

(Sorry for the double post)

Just finished the Leviathan DLC. It was an interesting diversion, but unimpressive. It's easy to see where the Reapers got their arrogance from, and it's nice to know that an "apex" species repeated the mistakes of the "lesser" species (bunch of jerks if you ask me).

Sooo...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The star brat spent an untold number of years trying to find a solution, and "the harvest" is the best it could come up with? I've seen better solutions after no more than 5 minutes of bored thought. This is the best Bioware can do? The star brat is an "Intelligence" that is obsessed with the conclusions it arrived at? I had hoped that this would be the DLC that fixes the main plot, but it isn't. They spent two games working toward something else. Nothing will ever change that. The ending still sucks. I can't believe I wasted $10 on this.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Spamalot in the Playground

My guess is that BW's metrics already showed them to be the hardest faction, so they were chosen as the control group of sorts. No need to mess with them if they were already the worst matchup for most groups, and then they could have a barometer for how the other changes (like the Tech Burst and Singularity changes) were affecting various classes.

They did make one pretty mean addition though, and that was to give them execution (Marauders and Cannibals.) This made Marauders that much more lethal.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

My guess is that BW's metrics already showed them to be the hardest faction, so they were chosen as the control group of sorts. No need to mess with them if they were already the worst matchup for most groups, and then they could have a barometer for how the other changes (like the Tech Burst and Singularity changes) were affecting various classes.

They did make one pretty mean addition though, and that was to give them execution (Marauders and Cannibals.) This made Marauders that much more lethal.
    That's still a rather nasty surprise. I suppose it makes sense, but Gold and Platinum were hard enough as it was.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Titan in the Playground

This is what I figured as well. Reapers do seem like the hardest faction, mostly because of the Banshees. I think Collectors are worse, though.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This is what I figured as well. Reapers do seem like the hardest faction, mostly because of the Banshees. I think Collectors are worse, though.
    The thing with the Collectors is that they brought back and upgraded the Harbinger mechanic. Once he's had a chance to upgrade the Scions and Praetorians, hoo boy.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

Played a few matches recently. Used a Salarian Engineer, since I wanted to test the new Flame Burst mechanic. Definitely noticed it - I saw more Flame Bursts in each of those games individually than I did in the entire time I've played this game before put together. However, it seems like Energy Drain can't trigger them, which is disappointing for the Salarian. Still, plenty of my allies' powers seem to be able to - and I noticed that Carnage seems to prime them as well. Me and a Krogan ally tore through Reaper forces practically just by firing Incinerate and Carnage for a while there. No matter who hit first, it made a fire burst.

Also had my first game against the Collectors. Not seeing why you guys say they're the hardest faction, at all. For the most part they don't seem bad - only big problem I had was when the Scions (I think - it was hard to tell, as the matches got fairly chaotic there, and again, it was my first match with them) started throwing those clusters of grenades. Really annoying to get away from that.

Actually, I'm curious: are Scions or Praetorians supposed to be the top-tier unit for the Collectors? I really don't know. Pratorians showed up earlier, but seem more durable, have both Barriers and Armor, and I once saw one melee-instant-kill someone like a Banshee or Altus would. Scions showed up later, but seem much less durable than other top-tier units, and aside from the grenade clusters (assuming that was indeed them) didn't seem all that dangerous.

Also, what the heck are "Collector Webs?" I saw them once or twice, but couldn't for the life of me tell where they came from or what they were supposed to do. I just Energy Drained them when I saw them, and that was that.

And is there a way to predict when/whether an Abomination will explode? Couldn't figure that one out from that one game.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    The thing with the Collectors is that they brought back and upgraded the Harbinger mechanic. Once he's had a chance to upgrade the Scions and Praetorians, hoo boy.
    At least he's not saying "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" every time he does that anymore.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Played a few matches recently. Used a Salarian Engineer, since I wanted to test the new Flame Burst mechanic. Definitely noticed it - I saw more Flame Bursts in each of those games individually than I did in the entire time I've played this game before put together. However, it seems like Energy Drain can't trigger them, which is disappointing for the Salarian. Still, plenty of my allies' powers seem to be able to - and I noticed that Carnage seems to prime them as well. Me and a Krogan ally tore through Reaper forces practically just by firing Incinerate and Carnage for a while there. No matter who hit first, it made a fire burst.

Also had my first game against the Collectors. Not seeing why you guys say they're the hardest faction, at all. For the most part they don't seem bad - only big problem I had was when the Scions (I think - it was hard to tell, as the matches got fairly chaotic there, and again, it was my first match with them) started throwing those clusters of grenades. Really annoying to get away from that.

Actually, I'm curious: are Scions or Praetorians supposed to be the top-tier unit for the Collectors? I really don't know. Pratorians showed up earlier, but seem more durable, have both Barriers and Armor, and I once saw one melee-instant-kill someone like a Banshee or Altus would. Scions showed up later, but seem much less durable than other top-tier units, and aside from the grenade clusters (assuming that was indeed them) didn't seem all that dangerous.

Also, what the heck are "Collector Webs?" I saw them once or twice, but couldn't for the life of me tell where they came from or what they were supposed to do. I just Energy Drained them when I saw them, and that was that.

And is there a way to predict when/whether an Abomination will explode? Couldn't figure that one out from that one game.

Zevox
    Energy Drain can set of Fire Explosions, but only against synthetic enemies. Praetorians are the boss unit for Collectors, Scions are roughly equivalent to Brutes. Normally they show up before Praetorians, but as they're very slow it's probable someone else killed them in another part of the map before you saw them. They have a sync-kill too, by the way, so stay out of melee. Abominations will explode when killed unless their head is destroyed, so only batarians, geth, shadows and slayers should try meleeing them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Zevox
    Praetorians are the top-tier unit for the Collectors. As for why the Collectors are hard, several reasons:

Once you get above Bronze, gun damage for the Troopers and Captains is very high. When they get possessed, their melee combo is horrific and can easily drop you if don't avoid it.

If a Scion catches you out in the open with the first shot of their three shot barrage, you are downed, because three shots hit shieldgate, healthgate and then you're down, and due to the stagger on the shots if the first hits the other two will as well. Praetorian eye-lasers are continual beams and thus pretty much ignore shield and health gates entirely, and can take the shields off a durability-specced Destroyer instantly on Silver.

Abominations deal mediocre damage normally, but when possessed are potential team wipes. They, combined with the grenades the troopers love throwing, force you out of cover and into the waiting arms of Collector crossfire, which will include Scions and Praetorians.

All their units have much more health than equal difficulty counterparts in other factions. In Silver, a melee specced krogan sentinel and one-shot cannibals, or geth or Cerberus troopers. Collector troopers are left with half their health, or thereabouts. Similarly, a fully damage-specced Turian Ghost with the Harrier VII can drop a Silver Brute in just over a standard clip of 20 rounds. A normal, non-possessed Scion takes over three clips.

So yeah.

As for what triggers abominations to explode, proximity to players. They get a little fire effect to show they're primed. Any attack which destroys their head prevents the explosion, so allowing them to grab you and then stomping their head works, as do headshots and any heavy melee attacks that remove the head (Shadow, Slayer and Batarian spring to mind).

Collector webs are produced by possessed troopers and slow the movement speed of players passing through them, as well as dealing minor damage over time whilst you're in there.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Energy Drain can set of Fire Explosions, but only against synthetic enemies.
    ...well, that's kind of annoying. Against synthetic enemies it still feels like I'm better off just spamming Energy Drain anyway.

Praetorians are the boss unit for Collectors, Scions are roughly equivalent to Brutes. Normally they show up before Praetorians, but as they're very slow it's probable someone else killed them in another part of the map before you saw them.
    Hm, could be.

Abominations will explode when killed unless their head is destroyed, so only batarians, geth, shadows and slayers should try meleeing them.
    You sure about that? Because I'd swear I sometimes killed them just with shots from my gun (not head shots, I don't even try for those), or even with Incinerate, and they didn't blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Once you get above Bronze, gun damage for the Troopers and Captains is very high. When they get possessed, their melee combo is horrific and can easily drop you if don't avoid it.
    I was on silver, and they didn't seem any worse than other troopers. Never got anywhere near them for melee, since I wasn't playing a Vanguard, so can't speak to that.

If a Scion catches you out in the open with the first shot of their three shot barrage, you are downed, because three shots hit shieldgate, healthgate and then you're down, and due to the stagger on the shots if the first hits the other two will as well.
    But Scions are so slow, and honestly I only actually saw one fire their gun once in that game. They seemed mostly to just shamble around, and throw those grenade clusters.

Praetorian eye-lasers are continual beams and thus pretty much ignore shield and health gates entirely, and can take the shields off a durability-specced Destroyer instantly on Silver.
    They're also easily avoided by using cover or diving to the side.

All their units have much more health than equal difficulty counterparts in other factions. In Silver, a melee specced krogan sentinel and one-shot cannibals, or geth or Cerberus troopers. Collector troopers are left with half their health, or thereabouts. Similarly, a fully damage-specced Turian Ghost with the Harrier VII can drop a Silver Brute in just over a standard clip of 20 rounds. A normal, non-possessed Scion takes over three clips.
    Okay, that I'm really having a hard time believing. They did not seem more durable than their counterparts at all. Scions in particular seemed a bit squishy for higher-tier units.

As for what triggers abominations to explode, proximity to players. They get a little fire effect to show they're primed.
    Weird, the ones that I saw explode were often nowhere near players. The first one I ever saw go off was out in the open some distance away.

Collector webs are produced by possessed troopers and slow the movement speed of players passing through them, as well as dealing minor damage over time whilst you're in there.
    Good to know I guess. They seem pretty easy to just destroy though.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-10-20 at 06:25 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #618
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

At least he's not saying "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" every time he does that anymore.
    I kinda thought that was odd. Was Szarabajka unavailable or something? Also, if a bit more thought was put into that, it could serve as an early warning system. Like the Banshee screams or the Brute growls, or the sound of the Marauder buffing his allies. "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" could be when he possesses the basic units (Troopers and Captains), "I AM ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS FORM" for Scions/Abominations, and "I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS" or something for when he possesses a Praetorian. Of course, to avoid line overlap, have each line play once and have every, say, Abomination be possessed at once. Or have him wait to possess the Scions and Abominations (or whatever level of enemy was possessed second) until one of whatever was possessed first dies, to avoid "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL I AM ASSUMING CONTROL OF THIS I KNOW YOU FEEL THIS".

19. - Top - End - #619
    Banned

You should have immediately received it after completing the challenge. Mine was waiting for me as soon as I entered the store.
    I noticed when my friend got the hurricane immediately after his match. Still pretty slick~!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's a Gold medal for melee kills - definitely 50. I've received mine just now for it.

Hey, don't knock the eagle. It is superior to the avenger and GPR for the same weight, and competes with the phaeston easily. It's only dilemma is a low round count, easily fixed by the +80% per clip mod.

Zevox
    abominations blow up after a certain period near a player or when killed. A possessed abomination goes off like a nuclear explosion and ignores shield gate.

The praetorian has the highest synch kill probability, wherein it's three hit melee combo keeps you stun locked until it gibs you. It's bubble completely negates powers - damage and effects, meaning grenades detonate and do no harm.their lasers are rapid fire and go through cover across the entire map. And on silver/gold you're liable to deal with up to four at once. They also block a huge area, wide enough that you cannot easily go around them if pinned, and they maneuver to pin you explicitly.

The mook troops full-heal I left to their own devices, spawn homin projectiles which deal damage when possessed, trigger coolsown and keep it high. They spawn blockades (webs) which obscure vision and drastically hinder movement, such that inside a web you cannot run or dodge and they WILL spawn them on you. The likelihood of a trooper throwing grenades seems to increase when you're in a web.

Scions have an instant kill melee attack, cluster grenades which safer you upon incoming (40% of the time as a Krogan) and can kill you via sequential explosions ignoring gates. Their three round burst cannon has a high dagger potential and is phasic, preventing your shields from recharging for approximately six seconds. Due to their low health they spawn more frequently than most other heavy units.

Abominations can and will time their assaults such one will get close and prime to explode, and a second will grab you, holding you still for the explosions of the other two. They will wait in cover until you are within enemy line of fire and grapple you to keep you there, when being Lille by a distant enemy they will run at you nearer target to catch them in the explosion, and unlike husks they keep coming even at higher waves on gold and silver. They will sometimes take cover when wounded, wait for possession, and then charge anew with full health, barriers and a 12 meter radius explosion that can drop geth, drell, vorcha, and volus in a single blow.

Trooper melee does remarkable damage and is often unavoidable, despite the long windup. And if one trooper gets you you will often end up surrounded by abominations, being sliced by a mantid claw, gunned down and subject to webs, swarms and grenades. While a praetorian lazers you from eight walls away.

The collectors also have a sheer overwhelming aggression the other forces lack. They rush like PCs, and you can never be rid of them until only a couple remain on the map. The fact that their artillery tank units like to hop bunkers makes a praetorian the unholy child of ravaged and banshee. They will close, melee, execute, and also area effect laser - or homing missile while lazing if possessed. And the ability of the unit to spontaneously not only regain full shields an armor despite being on the ropes, but also come out stronger, is irritating. The longer you play a wave, the more powerful they get. there is no limit to possessed unit amount.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

I miss that.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I haven't received mine yet, despite completing the challenge (medal and all) on Friday. Is there another page where people can get help with this a la previous events?

22. - Top - End - #622
    Banned

...well, that's kind of annoying. Against synthetic enemies it still feels like I'm better off just spamming Energy Drain anyway.
    I was able to get explosions using energy drain and snap freeze on cannibals. Incinerate and energy drain I didn't try, but energy drain and incinerate works.

You sure about that? Because I'd swear I sometimes killed them just with shots from my gun (not head shots, I don't even try for those), or even with Incinerate, and they didn't blow up.
    Remember, if killed before they light themselves on fire they are less likely to go boom. But yes, shooting the lead abomination so he blows up his allies is a valid strategy.

I was on silver, and they didn't seem any worse than other troopers. Never got anywhere near them for melee, since I wasn't playing a Vanguard, so can't speak to that.
    They like to hunt for you. They are remarkably invasive.

They're also easily avoided by using cover or diving to the side.
    Actually, no. They track slightly an have a hit box wider than their visible beams. If they lock on to you directly, you can dodge sideways and still be hit if you're within 25 meters. Only the Legionaires and vorcha dodge wide enough.

Okay, that I'm really having a hard time believing. They did not seem more durable than their counterparts at all. Scions in particular seemed a bit squishy for higher-tier units.
    I'm with you on this. Melee would leave a full barrier possessed captain Alice, barely , but me and Xanatos were one-shotting everything except scions and praetorians on silver.

The barriers are really high, and health low. Except for the praetorian, who seems to have very high armor and high barriers. It took two full clips of acolyte fire on gold to bring his barrier down. That's nuts.

Weird, the ones that I saw explode were often nowhere near players. The first one I ever saw go off was out in the open some distance away.
    An abomination has almost no visible sign I exploding. A possessed abomination will always explode on death and is highly visible.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Played some more games. Quarian Engineer and Batarian Sentinel this time.

With the Quarian, I can tell the change to Cryo Bursts, but less so than with fire ones, since only freezing causes them, not chilling, meaning they don't work on protected enemies. So that's less of a change to that class than to other Engineers. Makes Cryo Blast + Incinerate now an instant-kill on all mook enemy types though, since now I get the burst damage on top of the doubled Incinerate.

Batarian, not much to say. I recall there being some tweaks to Submission Net a while back but after I had last stopped playing, but I can't recall what they were. It does seem to do more damage I think though, so that's nice.

I've now seen the new units for the Geth and Cerberus. Eh. They're annoying, and not much more. They go down fast, and don't seem to be much of an issue - unless you get swarmed by Dragoons while in a bad defensive position, but that's a problem no matter what you're getting swarmed by. Though weirdly, the Dragoons did seem especially resistant to my Particle Rifle when playing my Batarian. Don't understand that, as they dropped pretty fast to everything else, and the Particle Rifle has never seemed weak against armor before.

Odd that the Dragoons have only armor and not health, actually. They seem to be human, and only machines and select Reaper troops have had that before.

Oh, hazard maps can die in a fire, though. Seriously, rain that drains your shields? Irritating as all hell. I want to fight the enemies, not the terrain.

Also, picked up a few Premium packs, and decided to start using the delete DLC/redownload thing, because screw the booster system. I actually went for the first DLC, Resurgance, because I tallied up what I had from each, and found I'm fairly near having every rare from that one. Only missing one class (which I want - Geth Engineer), seven appearance options (which I don't care about, but is a far lower number than it is for the other DLCs), and 11 ranks in the weapons. I only got one rare from it in the packs though, a rank for my Geth Plasma SMG (bringing that to 6). Got some ranks in several of the core rare weapons though, including the Carnifex, which I can't wait to have at a point where my casters can use it.

I think I'll do that until I have the Geth Engineer at least, and perhaps until I max my Geth Plasma SMG and Striker Assault Rifle. Might even try deleting all the DLC packs to work on core weapons like my Carnifex afterward.

It's bubble completely negates powers - damage and effects, meaning grenades detonate and do no harm.
    Ah, so that's what that does. I was wondering whether it had a practical effect, or was just a visual thing that kicked in when it flew. Quite annoying to hear though, speaking as a caster player.

their lasers are rapid fire and go through cover across the entire map.
    Uh, no. I'm certain they don't go through cover. I've sat in cover while being shot at by them and been perfectly fine on a number of occasions, and that even though I've only faced the Collectors twice.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS
    I was able to get explosions using energy drain and snap freeze on cannibals. Incinerate and energy drain I didn't try, but energy drain and incinerate works.
    Energy Drain and Incinerate has always worked - that's a tech burst, not a fire one. Though the timing has always seemed tight to self-tech-burst, as the electric residue from Energy Drain and Overload don't last long.

Snap Freeze -> Energy Drain works on Cannibals? Surprising, since I know Incinerate -> Energy Drain doesn't work on them, as that's what I was testing it on.

Actually, no. They track slightly an have a hit box wider than their visible beams. If they lock on to you directly, you can dodge sideways and still be hit if you're within 25 meters. Only the Legionaires and vorcha dodge wide enough.
    I've dodged them as a Salarian and a Quarian with no problems.

An abomination has almost no visible sign I exploding. A possessed abomination will always explode on death and is highly visible.
    Ah, that explains that - the only explosions I've seen are the possessed ones, then. Very weird that they wouldn't give a visible effect for the regular ones, though. They certainly had one in ME2.

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-10-20 at 10:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I haven't received [my reward pack] yet, despite completing the challenge (medal and all) on Friday. Is there another page where people can get help with this a la previous events?
    AHEM.

EDIT:A thought occurs: Why are the Collectors reappearing in multiplayer now? Because they'll be the enemies in the Omega DLC. Calling it now.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-10-20 at 10:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Banned

With the Quarian, I can tell the change to Cryo Bursts, but less so than with fire ones, since only freezing causes them, not chilling, meaning they don't work on protected enemies. So that's less of a change to that class than to other Engineers. Makes Cryo Blast + Incinerate now an instant-kill on all mook enemy types though, since now I get the burst damage on top of the doubled Incinerate.
    I've been able to crack cryo explosions out of primes, but only insistently primes. Not sure how that works.

Batarian, not much to say. I recall there being some tweaks to Submission Net a while back but after I had last stopped playing, but I can't recall what they were. It does seem to do more damage I think though, so that's nice.
    More stagger resistance, for one.

Ah, so that's what that does. I was wondering whether it had a practical effect, or was just a visual thing that kicked in when it flew. Quite annoying to hear though, speaking as a caster player.
    Yeah, it's like the banshee and the phantom. Only it doesn't even take damage.

Uh, no. I'm certain they don't go through cover. I've sat in cover while being shot at by them and been perfectly fine on a number of occasions, and that even though I've only faced the Collectors twice.
    Uh, yes. It has some wonky hit boxes, but it goes through everything. Walls. Boxes. Cover. We've had folks gunned down through the rocks on Condor.

Energy Drain and Incinerate has always worked - that's a tech burst, not a fire one. Though the timing has always seemed tight to self-tech-burst, as the electric residue from Energy Drain and Overload don't last long.

Snap Freeze -> Energy Drain works on Cannibals? Surprising, since I know Incinerate -> Energy Drain doesn't work on them, as that's what I was testing it on.
    It doesn't always yake, admittedly. I've missed fire bursts because I didn't give the guy time to ignite proper. Or something. Sometimes a guy dies and doesn't explode. I assume it has to do with the system recognizing the primed condition and being struck with a detonator not always happening before the unit is dead and no longer valid.

Ah, that explains that - the only explosions I've seen are the possessed ones, then. Very weird that they wouldn't give a visible effect for the regular ones, though. They certainly had one in ME2.

Zevox
    It's a small one, a pop. Nowhere near as noticeable unless they are on top of you.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

I AM A BIOTIC GOD! Now if only I could get this damn banner working. I have logged out of multiplayer, idiot website!

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #627
    Banned

I AM A BIOTIC GOD! Now if only I could get this damn banner working. I have logged out of multiplayer, idiot website!
    What system? Here on Xbox it's as easy as going to the challenge menu, highlighting a complete challenge and pressing the "set banner" button.

I'm a biotic god and mathemagician. Which apple recognizes as a word XD

Going forestry mastery now. Systematic extractions on earth maps as N7 kits with N7 weapons. Acolyte is much easier to use now but hard to wrack up points with. Luckily, it applies to like two or three different challenges. As does the piranha.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For the third time, my pack for completing this weekend's challenge is still missing. Where can I go to have someone look at this?

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

More games today, tried out pretty much all of my classes at least once. Good heavens but I'd forgotten how much fun the Human and Krogan Vanguards are. Been too long since I've pinballed around a map as a walking bomb or near-immortal rhino.

I am annoyed to find that Vanguards are particularly ill-suited to facing the Collectors, though. Those seeker swarms were practically custom-designed to screw them over. Not fun, not fun at all.

Speaking of not fun, I had a couple of games on Firebase London. Suddenly that hazard map no longer looks so bad. Damn upload objectives on the worst map in the game...

On the good news front, it turns out that Overload can detonate Fire Bursts from Incinerate quite easily, so the Human Engineer is looking quite a bit better right there. Also, that Krogan stagger resistance is extremely noticeable - I did a heavy melee while taking a Banshee shockwave to the face no less than twice. Krogan Vanguards didn't need to be more godlike, but I'm not complaining.

Did another three Premium packs with just the first DLC installed. Mostly ranks in weapons I won't use (including the Argus, which I'm disappointed to find out is no longer a single-player pre-order-only thing - not because I feel it should be reserved for pre-orders forever, but because it's yet another three-round burst AR, something I do not like in the least), but I also got a rank each in Geth Plasma SMG and Striker AR. Three of the former and two of the latter more and they'll be maxed out. Now, if only this thing would cough up a Geth Engineer already...

Uh, yes. It has some wonky hit boxes, but it goes through everything. Walls. Boxes. Cover. We've had folks gunned down through the rocks on Condor.
    Playing today, I think I see the source of the discrepancy here. Possessed Praetorians can do that, regular ones cannot. I've been safe in cover whenever dealing with regular ones, but I did see a Possessed one damaging me through cover today.

Zevox

30. - Top - End - #630
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Got my Volus Adept. Gave it a quick go on silver vs collectors (as he was only level 12). Still trying to figure him out. Doesnt do much damage (though if i give him a sniper rifle to go with stasis that may improve things.) Very squishy after playing Krogan Sentinel.