New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Tier System for Classes (Rescued from MinMax)

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-02-08 at 01:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    I understand that this is not the correct way or the intended way to use the tier list. My complaint was never about the "intentions of" or "proper uses for" the tier list. My complaint was about the negative consequences caused by the tier list, as I have witnessed it, and my general disdain for those consequences.
    Except you are arguing about just that. Your issue stems from the fact that some people you know have a poor understanding of the intent behind the Tiers list, and that these misunderstandings have caused friction. It's classic miscommunication.

Merely having the Tier list does not cause friction, it's people who do not understand it's purposes. This is true for any tier system for any game, not just D&D. I've seen similar arguments over Pokemon tiers and fighting games as I have for D&D, simply because those people don't understand the system.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

What about the Spirit Shaman?

It's from Complete Divine like the Favoured Soul but it's not included in the Tier list.

What tier should it be in? 2?

And what about the Dragon Shaman and DFA?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2013-01-21 at 02:22 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

4. - Top - End - #64
    Banned

Spirit Shaman is weird, it's probably borderline between Tier 1 and Tier 2.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    What about the Spirit Shaman?

It's from Complete Divine like the Favoured Soul but it's not included in the Tier list.

What tier should it be in? 2?

And what about the Dragon Shaman and DFA?
    bottom tier 1, 4, 3

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spirit Shaman is low tier 1.
    A. Given a days preparation he can cast any spell on his list.
    B. The Druid spell list is a tier 1 list.
    That said the druid list is weaker than the Wizard list and the loss of the animal companion reduces him from doing 2.5 party members worth of work down to 1.5 or so.

I don't know what tier the favored or DFA is soul is.

I believe the dragon shaman clocks in at tier 4. It has a few things going for it here or there, but they don't come together convincingly.

7. - Top - End - #67

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MukkTB View Post
    Spirit Shaman is low tier 1.
    A. Given a days preparation he can cast any spell on his list.
    B. The Druid spell list is a tier 1 list.
    That said the druid list is weaker than the Wizard list and the loss of the animal companion reduces him from doing 2.5 party members worth of work down to 1.5 or so.

I don't know what tier the favored or DFA is soul is.

I believe the dragon shaman clocks in at tier 4. It has a few things going for it here or there, but they don't come together convincingly.
    Honestly, I'd say it's high tier 2 rather than low tier 1. Compared to druids it loses a ton of versatility. The druid's spell list, while good lacks both strong divinations as well as many open-ended spells (like planar binding, wish or polymorph). Yes, a spirit shaman that knows what's coming can adjust his spell list accordingly, but a spirit shaman doesn't really have the tools to know what's coming. A druid doesn't either, but as a druid you get to prepare for a larger variety of situations, especially since no situational spell is wasted on a druid as you can convert them to SNA, and there's very few situations in D&D where throwing more warm bodies at them isn't at leas somewhat beneficial.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Did I imply that Marx's goal of a classless society where idealistic equality takes precedent over individual merit was reminiscent of the goals and final result of the tier system?
    I think you are mistaking a diagnosis of the problem for a prescription for the solution.

One solution, BTW, is to play something BESIDES D&D. There are plenty of non-class-and-level RPGs out there, folks.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't play much 3.x anymore, but I wish I'd had this when I did. :D

Has anyone looked into this with Arcana Evolved classes? I still have d20 PTSD from when my party's Magister and Greenbond chain-demolished every obstacle while our totem warrior, champion, and ... well, whoever the other guys were; they made such little impact I can't even remember ... cheered them on. I'm guessing that, while there might be some 'buyback' for a generally more restricted spell list, combining the best aspects of wizard and sorcerer (along with some insane feats which auto-stun or force monsters to use their Int scores for saving throws, along with general higher save DCs) would push them into T1 easily.

...the game dissolved around 12th level or so.

-O

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by LordBlades View Post
    Honestly, I'd say it's high tier 2 rather than low tier 1. Compared to druids it loses a ton of versatility. The druid's spell list, while good lacks both strong divinations as well as many open-ended spells (like planar binding, wish or polymorph). Yes, a spirit shaman that knows what's coming can adjust his spell list accordingly, but a spirit shaman doesn't really have the tools to know what's coming. A druid doesn't either, but as a druid you get to prepare for a larger variety of situations, especially since no situational spell is wasted on a druid as you can convert them to SNA, and there's very few situations in D&D where throwing more warm bodies at them isn't at leas somewhat beneficial.
    It comes down to the spell list. The Druid's animal companion alone is tier 4. The Druids shapeshifting alone seems to be agreed to be tier 3. The ranger with Druid shapeshifting as an ACF is reported at tier 3. So if the Druid is tier 1, its because his spell list put him there.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    It's a tool, dude. You're complaining about the equivalent of a hammer. I mean I guess if you don't like hammers great, just don't use them. Right now, though, you're doing the equivalent of running through the hardware store screaming about how they ruined carpentry when they invented hammers.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-02-08 at 01:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

My onlyquestion is howmany GMs require the XP expenditures stated for spells and other magic? I know the GM I did play with that did that caused our WIZZZZAARRRD player to become apoplectic when the dm knocked him down a lvl due to XP expenditure. Frankly the dm had been planning it and the guy danced on the munchkin line regularly.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by MukkTB View Post
    The argument gets tiring after you've seen it loop once or twice.
    How could 5 more years of the same dang threads possibly not enthrall?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Can we add some of the elaborations from here?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...Ftopic%3D11714

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MeiLeTeng View Post
    It's a tool, dude. You're complaining about the equivalent of a hammer. I mean I guess if you don't like hammers great, just don't use them. Right now, though, you're doing the equivalent of running through the hardware store screaming about how they ruined carpentry when they invented hammers.
    It really is hilarious.

"I understand that the people I interact with are using the tier system wrong, ergo the whole tier system is a blight on the universe with no positives!"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Did i imply that Communism, an idea that is noble on paper and even works for certain cultures but on the whole is usually ruined by the people who practice it, is similar to the tier system.

I am beginning to wonder if you understand that the Tier System is not some magical game-ruining force.

The Tier System is simply a nice rule of thumb that says X class has more options/power than Y class, provided all classes are equally optimized.

I fail utterly to see how that can ruin anything. Any problems are the fault of the game system of D&D itself, not the information that can be derived from it.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    I am beginning to wonder if you understand that the Tier System is not some magical game-ruining force.

The Tier System is simply a nice rule of thumb that says X class has more options/power than Y class, provided all classes are equally optimized.

I fail utterly to see how that can ruin anything. Any problems are the fault of the game system of D&D itself, not the information that can be derived from it.
    That is what the Tier System is.

That is not how the Tier System is used. It is that incorrect use that leads to ruin. That is where the fault truly comes from.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pandoras Folly View Post
    My onlyquestion is howmany GMs require the XP expenditures stated for spells and other magic? I know the GM I did play with that did that caused our WIZZZZAARRRD player to become apoplectic when the dm knocked him down a lvl due to XP expenditure. Frankly the dm had been planning it and the guy danced on the munchkin line regularly.
    What your DM did was in fact against the rules.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    The dm did say are you sure you want to do this several times. The cleric also seconded the dms ruling as he confirmed the dm had stated it as one of his house rules at the beginning of the game. Frankly I hardly ever play a caster, if I want to be a wizard I play mage: the ascension although i've always favored a perma.ent HP loss rather than a loss in XP, has much more of a "sacrificed vital force" feel to it....and plays into the weak old man wizard stereotype to boot.

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Even rule zero?
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Also. No responses to my original question.

In my experience when rules and ingredients are not ignored tier one players tend to tone it down a bit. Like in middle of a long long dungeon and the dm reminds the wizard he only has 5 more spell components. The implication of course is not x spell components, but I'm watching you like a hawk. I actually witnessed a wizard run out once.....still pretty effective though, not everything requires components.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

In my experience when rules and ingredients are not ignored tier one players tend to tone it down a bit. Like in middle of a long long dungeon and the dm reminds the wizard he only has 5 more spell components.
    That's not "not ignoring the rules," that's "making up new caster-unfriendly rules." The difference isn't subtle.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WhatBigTeeth View Post
    That's not "not ignoring the rules," that's "making up new caster-unfriendly rules." The difference isn't subtle.
    how is requiring a wizard to have balls of guano and sulfur on him if he wants to throw fireballs making up rules? Or a 25gp of oynx for each hit die for an animate dead?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

how is requiring a wizard to have balls of guano and sulfur on him if he wants to throw fireballs making up rules? Or a 25gp of oynx for each hit die for an animate dead?
    Read this.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Except for specifically costly components, the ownership of a spell component pouch should provide sufficient materials for a caster. A DM that's requiring the specific tracking of extremely cheap components like guano and sulfur (or inflating the prices of same) is engaging in a houserule with the apparent intent of reigning in the caster's abilities.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

RAW a caster has infinite (noncostly) components as long as they have a pouch. And houseruling otherwise is generally pretty stupid because it adds annoyance and complication without doing anything to address the Wizard's actual power. It's like putting out a "you must be this munchkinny to play" sign.

Assuming that they also banned Eschew Material Components of course.
    Last edited by Story; 2013-01-21 at 05:33 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Honestly, if a DM started caring about the free components that come in the pouch (I think they all care about the costly ones, but that's different), I'd just take Eschew Materials and call it a day. Or be a Shadowcraft Mage, since all you need then is some fleece (which you're probably wearing).

JaronK

28. - Top - End - #88

There are people that make casters obtain individual spell components worth less than 1GP? The thing that the rules themselves suggest that you not do? D&D involves enough bookkeeping without that as it is, trying to fix something by making it more tedious with more real life bookkeeping hassles is a stupid approach. Especially given that those components generally only apply to arcane spells, so you're just going to cause people to sidestep the issue by either being a cleric, or even just taking eschew materials.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

wink Re: Tier System for Classes (Rescued from MinMax)

So...its a single use bag of holdin...

Im going to get one of those, be a thrikreen and say the bag holds all the thousands of daggers im spaming. Because that wont fly with most people. I have to account for arrows, daggers,and how many feet of rope I have. How much did raw sulphur cost in the middle ages? Also assuming you are in an area that has bats to begin with.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

So...its a single use bag of holdin...

Im going to get one of those, be a thrikreen and say the bag holds all the thousands of daggers im spaming. Because that wont fly with most people. I have to account for arrows, daggers,and how many feet of rope I have. How much did raw sulphur cost in the middle ages? Also assuming you are in an area that has bats to begin with.
    Eschew materials. You simply added a small feat tax.