New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default On hair (and the cutting thereof): Why am I so gullible?

Perhaps you can guess, but I got my haircut today. This isn't something I generally like to do, because something bad happens almost every time.

I'm a fan of long hair. What I'm not so good at is styling it. So, when it comes time to pay somebody do that, I've got no idea what to ask for. And every time, I ask my more fashion-minded sister for advice. "I like your hair shorter", she tells me. Like a dolt, I believe her when she tells me I look better that way.

I woke up this morning with shoulder-length hair. Now it's barely past my ears. I want to cry when I see myself in the mirror. So, the question is, why do I keep doing this to myself? Why, when I'm looking to lose an inch, do I let myself get talked into 3 or 4? And does anyone else have this or a similar problem?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: On hair (and the cutting thereof): Why am I so gullible?

Maybe you should write down 'never cut hair more than *cm'. Or tattoo it on your hand, or something.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, I'm afraid I can't relate. After having many years of my life with very short hair (16 of them) I decided to keep it long. As a result it's been two years without a haircut.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I did that once, people always say, "No your hair looks better short." No it don't I'm never cutting it short again!
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I never had long hair because I don't like it, but every time I come back from getting it cut, I feel like you do. It's weird to think that you look some way and then look into the mirror and remember you cut your hair. It's weird and kinda depressing the first few days, but then you get used to it.

You'll get used to it, PhoeKun. Just don't think too much about it. You might even end up liking it.

6. - Top - End - #6

One reason I don't have short hair is that I have a birth mark on the side of my head, when I have long hair it can't be seen, however with short hair it's rather noticeable.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

7. - Top - End - #7

Not only that, but there's this barber at this place where I used to go, and she would always say how I looked "girly" with long hair and I needed a shorter cut...

Most every place I've been to always cuts off much more than I like. The only place that doesn't, is, unfortunately, 350 something miles from here.

But yeah, I'm going to try and never get my hair cut again if it can be done.

*crosses fingers*

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I have long hair for the same reason some other people has. Though I don't have much acne anymore, I like to be able to hide behind my hair, allowing me to be noticed less.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FdL View Post
    You'll get used to it, PhoeKun. Just don't think too much about it. You might even end up liking it.
    I would consider this very wise advice if I were a guy (to those of you running off to check the 'You' thread: you are barking up the wrong tree). And this particular haircut is... rather masculine. Getting it layered didn't help anywhere near as much as I thought it would. I had such pretty hair. Why did I let it get mutilated?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Ow, then it's just waiting for it to grow. And in the meanwhile getting used to it :D There's no alternatives, hair it's faster to cut than to grow.

There's a saying that talks about measuring twice to cut once. Well, in this case the advice would be to think thrice or more, and to carefully explain your limits to the barber. I mean seriously explain you limits They tend to do whatever they want. I got my hair cut way shorter than I wanted last time.

Also, just thank the heavens you're not bald(ing) like I am. Yay for positive thinking ^^

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Poor PhoeKun. She is unhappy. We should make her happy.

*Begins scribing a scroll of "Summon Amotis" & a scroll of *Hair Growth, Massive" into spellbook.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

12. - Top - End - #12

Grow it back out.

Let the lockes flow... and you will find joy. Having long hair myself, I get irritated with it from time to time... but will never return to short. It's been about 20 years now... and never shorter than my shoulders.
    Unofficial Brew-Meister in the playground. Just ask!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Phooooe... Oh noes!
    It's okay. Hair will grow back.

Me want picture.
    Last edited by Ego Slayer; 2007-08-14 at 08:32 PM.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

14. - Top - End - #14

When people tell you that your hair looks better short, the thing to remember is that they're dirty liars who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

A barber's job is to cut hair, and thus barbers feel like they're being more helpful the more hair they cut off. If cutting your hair is absolutely necessary, it may be in your best interests to do it yourself. No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Last edited by Lemur; 2007-08-14 at 08:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    Phooooe... Oh noes!

Me want picture.
    Oh, yeah. It should be documented as an reminder for Phoe. So next time he wants to get his hair cut, we'll link the pic ^^

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    I think I may sig that...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

17. - Top - End - #17

Poor Phoe. Hair never looks better short in my opinion unless it's spiked punk-like. Otherwise keep it long.

It's okay. It'll grow back. Just don't listen next time. Or listen to someone else. Siblings are notoriously bad judges of one's appearance. Id' hate to think what'd happen if I listened to mine.
    Remember when I had an avatar?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Phooooe... Oh noes!

Me want picture.
    Look for the GenCon offering. I'm not taking pictures of this...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Look for the GenCon offering. I'm not taking pictures of this...
    Someone take a picture of him! I will pay in kisses and the souls of Pixies!

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻
    Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You're still in the fire. Why are you in the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. Get outa the fire. You died.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieRockStar View Post
    Siblings are notoriously bad judges of one's appearance.
    How true! My sister keeps bugging me about her hair and how it looks. I've even gone out of my way to say 'I don't pay attention to the looks of my siblings', but she won't stop.

She's always 'You've always hated it blonde, right?' and 'You liked it when I dyed it brown, right?' (although it looked pitch black). I'd like to tell her that looks are irrelevant, but I do not want to sound too uncaring.
    Pokémon Stuff: FC 3093-8484-9162 | Friend Safari Sunkern, Swadloon, Quilladin | List of Pokémon
    B-Kachu: Oo! Inconspicuous cookie with a string attached to it! *nom*
    Last.fm | Steam ID | YouTube

Quotes inside:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • B-Man is frickin' kick-ass in person.
    • The Metric System is more Awesome than Americans, and you all know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'd respond, but I suddenly suspect that you are far too young to post here.

21. - Top - End - #21

And here I was going to get my long locks snipped this weekend. Now I'm having second thoughts... *shakes fist half-heartedly*

Though I'm a bit tired of being mistaken for a girl in public.
    Yotsubatar by Dr. Bath

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone take a picture of her! I will pay in kisses and the souls of Pixies!
    I don't think I'll be able to get through the meetup without photos being snapped, so you'll have your blackmail material pictures in a few days. I don't see how it could come to pass that nobody takes a camera.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    I don't think I'll be able to get through the meetup without photos being snapped, so you'll have your blackmail material pictures in a few days. I don't see how it could come to pass that nobody takes a camera.
    I know. I'm just making sure.

(╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

First of all Phoekun, do you have boy bits or girl bits? At this stage I'm not interested in "how you feel on the insides", cuz, after all, we're talking about the outside. Sorry if that sounded harsher than I mean it to, I think it might be tempered by increasing annoyance at gender ambiguity
    Anyways (assuming you do, in fact, have boy bits), I think I've figured out that the length I really have a thing for is between the bottom of the ears and the shoulders. So you're still doing alright by me How long was it before, anyway?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

It wasn't all one length, but it was hanging just barely above my shoulders before the haircut. So, I suppose I moved from one end of your "all right" scale to the other.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, that's okay then.

Oh yeah, there were specific questions in your post, weren't there? Lesee... you're so gullible because you're a sweet, kind soul who would never do anything like that to anyone else and therefore don't expect anyone else to. You keep doing this (believing, I presume) because you have neverending patience and eternal (if perhaps misguided) belief in the innate goodness of those around you. You let yourself get talked into these things because you have greater faith in the judgement of others than of yourself. And no. Noone else has this sort of problem. You're all on your own there, bucko. <- stern gaze

By the way, we can't really offer any opinions on whether it really doesn't look any good 'til your post a comparison photo. So get back to us in a few days.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just wait for it to grow back, and in the meantime, smother it with gel, possibly even the fun colored kind. For some reason, bad haircuts can be made palatable with gel and fluffing. This is how I survived the Ringo Starr haircut of 11th grade (gel transformed it to a slightly more attractive Sailor Mercury) and how I am currently surviving the Proto-Mullet. The Proto-Mullet is going away in two days and I have never been more thrilled.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

short hair is teh sex so i wouldnt worry :)
    *needs a new avatar*

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Zombie

other peoples opinions dont matter on the subject of you. remember that. unless your currently having sex with them, then put some whatsticalled in what they say, but not TOO much, and only if its on your looks. but if you still cant decide, then sure, pay someone to use sharp objects near your head, the closer the better.... there

its a slippery slope from taking advice you know is bad but is important to someone you love to doormat... and beleive me that sucks. you can be nice and an ******* at the same time, or you can politely decline.

and remember, other people often dont know what THEY like, much less what other people like. and are too quick to offer their advice on any subject as an expert. remember, if their not you, they dont know you as well as you do.

oh, and listening to female relatives is NEVER smart. its almost as stupid as listening to male relatives. actually its about the same... i guess its just not a good idea to listen to either,

anyway, for this decision i beleive you should read the second spoiler tag in my signature...
    Last edited by tannish2; 2007-08-14 at 11:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I know what you mean. Whenever I get my hair cut I get a lot of people who tell me it looks better short. (Of course, I usually don't get it cut at all, but every three or four years I shave it all off just to screw with the people I know. ) All I can say is it's a shame you did this at the end of summer, because things are going to cool down and your head will feel cold. However, it has been my experience that listening to sisters does little good when it comes to one's appearence.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns