New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Her Majesty's Gentleman [3.5, PEACH]

Hey Playground, I've decided to create my first homebrew, and though it's based on an admittedly ridiculous premise I saw in the Request a Homebrew thread, I'd really like to hear opinions, mainly because I see this as more of a test that I understand the fundamentals of homebrewing as a prelude to me creating more serious entries. If possible, please provide advice on actual requirements to make this a viable class in-game, as well as any other criticism you may have. Anyway, here you go: Her Majesty's Gentlemen.

Her Majesty’s Gentleman

Spoiler
    Show

Honor dictates I challenge you to a duel. Consider yourself challenged.
    –Edward Laughton III, Ninth Duke of Kent and Earl of Hardwick

Her Majesty’s Gentlemen are, above all else, protectors of the Queen, willingly laying down their lives to defend her. Still, some of Her Majesty’s Gentlemen are…rough around the edges when trouble comes by.

BECOMING A Her Majesty’s Gentlemen

Becoming a Her Majesty’s Gentleman is no easy task, and many spend their entire lives in the pursuit of it, only to fail time and again. Her Majesty’s Gentlemen must prove their loyalty, intelligence, and ability to the crown and must be recognized by other members of the nobility as deserving of the title. Though technically anyone can become a Her Majesty’s Gentleman, few indeed are those who actually manage to do so.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    To qualify to become a Her Majesty’s Gentleman, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
    Alignment: Any non-chaotic, non-evil.
    Feats: Bearing of Nobility, Calm Under Pressure, Loyalty to the Crown
    Skills: Knowledge (Nobility) 7 Ranks, Diplomacy 8 Ranks, Sense Motive 8 Ranks
    Special: Must have been granted a title of nobility by a ruling monarch in honor of their exemplary service.
    Special: Must be able to cast third level spells.

Class Skills

Knowledge (Nobility), Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Local), Listen, Spot, Concentration, Use Magic Device, Heal, Spellcraft, Sense Motive, Diplomacy, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Ride

Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Her Majesty's Gentlemen
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+1|+2|Redirected Hooliganism, Noble Bearing

2nd|+1|+0|+1|+3|Lovely Weather We’re Having

3rd|+2|+1|+2|+3|Care for a Spot of Tea (2/day)

4th|+3|+1|+2|+4|We Call it Football

5th|+3|+1|+3|+4|Ducal Bearing

6th|+4|+2|+3|+5|Greater Redirected Hooliganism, Care for a Spot of Tea (3/day)

7th|+5|+2|+3|+5| I Daresay…, Elementary my Dear

8th|+6/+1|+2|+4|+6| I Insist on that Tea, Care for a Spot of Tea (5/day)

9th|+6/+1|+3|+4|+6| Care for a Pint?, Hooligan’s Rage

10th|+7/+2|+3|+5|+7| Regal Bearing

[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Her Majesty’s Gentleman is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and automatically gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Sword Cane, as a bonus feat at 1st Level, regardless of whether they would naturally qualify for it. They are also proficient with light armor and medium armor, though it affects their spellcasting normally.

Spellcasting: Given their heritage, it is no surprise that Her Majesty's Gentlemen are excellent at understanding the arcane arts. At each level as a Her Majesty's Gentleman, characters progress in whatever spell casting class they were in upon entering the prestige class. They also gain access to all spells of the [Good] and [Law] descriptor as long as they are of the appropriate level, meaning that all spells of the above descriptors are added to their spell list, regardless of class. Furthermore, they may choose one spell from the [Protection] domain per day, to use as a 3/day Spell-like ability, as long as they would normally be able to cast it based on their level.

Redirected Hooliganism (Ex): Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have learned, through long practice, to subdue their more brutish tendencies and redirect such energy to nobler pursuits. As such, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen may add their Wisdom or Intelligence modifier to attack rolls, chosen at the time they gain this ability.

Noble Bearing (Su): Becoming a Her Majesty’s Gentleman is no easy feat, and all those that have achieved such heights have the bearing of nobility. Her Majesty’s Gentlemen project an aura of nobility out to 10 feet. During combat, all hostile entities must make a DC15 Will save or be humbled for 1d4 rounds. The will save is boosted to 25 at 5th level.
    Humbled: Humbled beings are overwhelmed by the sheer presence projected by Her Majesty's Gentleman. They take -4 to attack rolls made against the Her Majesty's Gentleman, take -3 AC, and cannot perform full-round actions against him.

Lovely Weather We’re Having (Ex): By 2rd level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen are masters of chit chat. As a swift action during combat, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen may, once per encounter, withdraw themselves and a single enemy from combat for a chat. To resist, the being must make a [DC=10+˝ECL+Wis. or Int. (Whichever is higher)]. Affected enemies are removed from combat along with the Her Majesty’s Gentleman for 1d6 rounds. Neither may be harmed by any ill-effects. At the end of the time limit, the Her Majesty’s Gentleman may make a Diplomacy check (DC 20+(ECL+3)). If they succeed, the enemy will fight for the party for 1d6 rounds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Removed from combat: Enemies affected by this ability should, along with the Her Majesty's Gentleman, to be considered as not-present for combat. They cannot attack and cannot move. Though effectively frozen, they can be targeted, though any effects that would result--including damage--are simply ignored as though they had not occurred.

Care for a Spot of Tea (Ex): At 3rd level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen know that tea is the sovereign remedy for all ills. They may, 2/day, as a full-round action, give tea to another being, healing that person or creature all damage they may have sustained in the past two rounds. This ability can never be used by the Her Majesty’s Gentleman on himself. This becomes usable 3/day at 5th level, and 5/day at 8th level.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Under many circumstances, it may be a pain to keep track of any and all damage every creature on the field may have taken over the last two rounds, as such, those who feel this may be a pain should treat this ability as healing an amount of hit points as the Paladin's Lay On Hands, using the higher or Intelligence/Wisdom as a modifier. For this variant, it becomes a standard action.

We Call it Football (Ex): Knowledgeable as they are, upon reaching 4th level, a Her Majesty’s Gentleman may gently correct the misconceptions of another creature a number of times per day equal to their ECL/3, minimum one. If the creature or person fails a DC25 Will save, any single piece of information they know is changed to fit the desires of the Her Majesty’s Gentleman, based on DM's discretion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM's are urged to take this ability as it is meant and not accept cheese. This ability should be useful, but not game-breaking.
    Positive Example: The Party needs to gain entrance to a castle to confront a powerful tyrant. The Her Majesty's Gentlemen should, using this ability, be able to convince the guard that they are in fact members of the Castle's staff. Negative Example: The party is confronting said tyrant and the Her Majesty's Gentleman is allowed by the DM to use this ability to make the tyrant believe he is going to be stricken with a terrible disease unless he immediately surrenders to the party.

Ducal Bearing (Su):By 5th level, a Her Majesty’s Gentleman is fully at home around nobility. Their aura of nobility now extends to 30 feet.

Greater Redirected Hooliganism (Ex): With greater practice, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have become even more suited to noble pursuits, leaving their hooligan tendencies far behind. At 6th level, they may now add their Wisdom or Intelligence Modifier x 1.5 to their attack rolls and ˝ Wisdom or Intelligence modifier to damage rolls as originally selected for Redirected Hooliganism.

I Daresay… (Su): By 7th level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have become an entrenched part of the nobility, and have come to understand what it means to be a noble. They can show no weakness or surprise. Her Majesty’s Gentlemen are now immune to sneak attack damage and gain a +5 to Diplomacy and Bluff checks.

Elementary My Dear (Su): By 7th level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have gained extensive familiarity with the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. With this knowledge, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen gain +5 on Gather Information, Search, and Spot checks. Further, they are able to discern an enemies weaknesses. As a standard action once per encounter, they may deduce any elemental weaknesses possessed by an enemy, as well as their type, subtype, and species.

I Insist On That Tea (Ex): By 8th level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have become diplomatic forces of nature. They may, as a swift action 3/day, force an enemy out of combat for 1d6 rounds (while remaining in combat themselves), based on: [DC=10+3/4ECL+Wis. or Int. (Whichever is higher)]. A save lowers the rounds out of combat to 1d3.

Care for a Pint? (Su): By 9th level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have begun to miss the freedom of their younger days. When they consume alchohol, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen take -2 Int, -4 Cha per pint consumed. In exchange, they gain DR 3/-- and +2 on both attack and damage rolls. Further, they are immune to fatigue and exhaustion. This stacks a maximum of four times.

Hooligan’s Rage After consuming four full pints, all thoughts of nobility and bearing are gone from the mind of Her Majesty’s Gentlemen. They enter a state of raw fury and are unaffected by mind-affecting, paralyzing, poisoning, entangling effects and are automatically stabilized if they go under 0 health. They receive a further +4 to damage rolls.

Regal Bearing (Su): At 10th level, the Her Majesty’s Gentleman has reached the upper echelons of the nobility. During combat, their aura of nobility extends out to 60 feet and those affected must make a DC40 Will Save or be awed for 1d6 rounds. Success leaves them dazed for the same period.

Finally, Her Majesty’s Gentleman is henceforth treated as an Outsider with the lawful subtype and gains DR 15/Anarchic and DR 10/Silver. They can also cast Protection from Chaos and Protection from Evil as at-will abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awed: Awed beings are beyond humbled by the Her Majesty's Gentleman, they tremble in any real proximity. Awed beings are struck dumb and are unable to either act or move for the duration. They take no penalty to AC, but take -4 to will saves as a result of their condition.

PLAYING A Her Majesty's Gentleman

Her Majesty's Gentleman are dynamic and dedicated individuals. Their loyalty is without question and above all else, they seek to fulfill the tenants of their mission to protect not only the Queen, but those they hold dear. Any enemy of those people becomes an enemy of a Her Majesty's Gentleman. They adhere to this creed beyond all else.

Combat: In combat, Her Majesty's Gentlemen are unusual characters. With high wisdom or intelligence they can indeed deal large amounts of damage in battle, and though their hit dice are not high, they can take hits reasonably well. Still, it is with their unique battlefield abilities that a Her Majesty's Gentleman shines.

Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.

Resources: Her Majesty's Gentlemen almost universally have the backing and support of their nation's ruling class, as well as the monarch, to whom they have pledged undying loyalty. As such, they often are possessed of great wealth and societal power.

Her Majesty's Gentlemen IN THE WORLD

One minute we were drinking tea, the next minute he was standing there, sword drawn, ready for battle... the man really needs to learn to not take soccer so seriously.
    ----Jakkob Anders, Human Bartender

Her Majesty's Gentleman have a rather unique relationship with the rest of the world. They are often viewed as stuffy individuals, overly concerned with duty and honor. But they shrug off such opinions and maintain their commitment to protect those they hold dear, regardless of personal consequence.

Daily Life: Her Majesty's Gentlemen spend the majority of their time living among, and as, nobility. They attend court functions, but they also spend much of their time in libraries and on training fields, doing their utmost to prepare themselves in the event trouble comes to court.

NPC Reaction

NPC's will often look on Her Majesty's Gentlemen as interesting, though somewhat bothersome individuals. While not distaste per se, Her Majesty's Gentlemen are often seen as interesting from a distance, but unlikable up close. Her Majesty's Gentlemen will get along exceedingly well with courtiers and knights however, as well as any city guardsmen and paladins, making them very useful under such circumstances.

Her Majesty's Gentleman IN THE GAME

Her Majesty's Gentlemen fill a unique role as a viable support-caster, as well as being able to manipulate battlefield's in unusual and powerful ways. They are not heavily armed or defended however, so it may be wise to provide them with something or someone to serve as a defensive bulwark.

Adaptation: Her Majesty's Gentlemen by no means have to be British, they can easily fit in any setting that has monarchical societies and nations, adapting as required by the role. As long as their are Kings and Queens, there will be Her Majesty's Gentlemen.
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-08-26 at 01:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Her Majesty's Gentleman [3.5, PEACH]

Reserved for any additions.

3. - Top - End - #3

No one has anything to say about making this a more viable character? No peaching at all?

Maybe specific questions: what actual feats could be substituted for requirements that would retain the classes flavor? Are the class skills fitting? What about class features?
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-08-25 at 10:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I love it. No idea on the balance, but it definitely would be fun to play. I would say that there needs to be an ability about queuing, though.

Quite, quite good, old chap.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    I love it. No idea on the balance, but it definitely would be fun to play. I would say that there needs to be an ability about queuing, though.

Quite, quite good, old chap.
    Do you think it would actually be viable to play though? Also what feats would work as the requirements?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I would play it. Again, I play hard and fast with the rules, so standing up to other classes doesn't bother me as much as does seeing the class is fun to play itself. The abilities it has are fun, entertaining, and useful.

As for feats... I have no idea. I've read so many books, I doubt I can keep homebrew, third-party and official ones separate.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

My thoughts below, I just commented in the quote box in blue rather than separating things out because it's easier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Weapon Proficiencies: A Her Majesty’s Gentleman is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and automatically gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Sword Cane, as a bonus feat at 1st Level,[/COLOR] regardless of whether they would naturally qualify for it. You can just say that they're proficient with the sword cane, you don't need to point out that they gain the feat.

Spellcasting: Given their heritage, it is no surprise that Her Majesty's Gentlemen are excellent at understanding the arcane arts. At each level as a Her Majesty's Gentleman, characters progress in whatever spell casting class they were in upon entering the prestige class. They also gain access to all spells of the [Good] and [Law] descriptor as long as they are of the appropriate level what do you mean by gain access to? are they added to their spells known or just to their spell lists?. Furthermore, they may choose one spell from the [Protection] domain per day, to use as an at-will 3/day Contradictory, at will means as often as you like, 3/day doesn't. Spell-like ability, as long as they would normally be able to cast it based on their level. This is really powerful, mind blank is one of the most necessary spells in the game once it becomes available, and giving away the ability to put it on the entire party for free will save them a lot of resources. Spell resistance and spell immunity are also quite powerful when used with some forethought.

Redirected Hooliganism (Ex): Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have learned, through long practice, to subdue their more brutish tendencies and redirect such energy to nobler pursuits. As such, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen may add their Wisdom or Intelligence modifier to attack rolls, chosen at the time they gain this ability. This is basically "stop missing touch attacks" a few gishes may use it as intended, but the primary audience for this class does seem to be full casters. This isn't really a problem, but it is something to be aware of.

Noble Bearing (Su): Becoming a Her Majesty’s Gentleman is no easy feat, and all those that have achieved such heights have the bearing of nobility. Her Majesty’s Gentlemen project an aura of nobility out to 10 feet. All non-hostile entities must make a DC15 Will save or be awed. Define "awed".

Lovely Weather We’re Having (Ex): By 2rd level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen are masters of chit chat. As a swift action during combat, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen may, once per encounter, withdraw themselves and a single enemy from combat for a chat based on a DC20 Con Fort? save. Non-scaling saves are generally bd, they're overpowered if you somehow get them early and they become irrelevant later. I'd suggest 10+˝character level+higher of int or wis. Affected enemies are removed from combat along with the Her Majesty’s Gentleman for 1d6 rounds. Neither may be harmed by any ill-effects. At the end of the time limit, the Her Majesty’s Gentleman may make a Diplomacy check (DC 20+(ECL+3)). If they succeed, the enemy will fight for the party for 1d6 rounds.

Care for a Spot of Tea (Ex): At 3rd level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen know that tea is the sovereign remedy for all ills. They may, 2/day, give tea to another being, healing that person or creature all damage they may have sustained in the past two rounds. This ability can never be used by the Her Majesty’s Gentleman on himself. what sort of action is this?

We Call it Football (Ex): Knowledgeable as they are, upon reaching 4th level, a Her Majesty’s Gentleman may gently correct the misconceptions of another creature a number of times per day? equal to their ECL/3, minimum one. If the creature or person fails a DC25 Will save saves should scale, any single piece of information they know is changed to fit the desires of the Her Majesty’s Gentleman. This seems likely to be either extremely powerful or useful only for flavor, depending entirely on what your DM will let you get away with. Not sure what could be done about that, but you should at least consider the problem.

I Insist On That Tea (Ex): By 8th level, Her Majesty’s Gentlemen have become diplomatic forces of nature. They may, as a swift action 3/day, force an enemy out of combat for 1d6 rounds (while remaining in combat themselves), using their Diplomacy ranks+15 against Will setting skill checks against saving throws is a bad idea, skills scale with your hd+3 while saves scale with half your HD at best, skill checks become so much massively higher at high levels that the save would barely be worth making.. A save lowers the rounds out of combat to 1d3. What does it mean to be taken out of combat? I'd assume that they can't attack but can they move? Can they cast spells on their allies or summon creatures? What happens if someone attacks them?

I'd like to apologize if any of that came of harsh, this really is a good first homebrew and I meant no offence. Also, most of the mistakes you made are really common among first time homebrewers.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    My thoughts below, I just commented in the quote box in blue rather than separating things out because it's easier.

I'd like to apologize if any of that came of harsh, this really is a good first homebrew and I meant no offence. Also, most of the mistakes you made are really common among first time homebrewers.
    Thanks for the PEACHing, I made a number of changes thanks to the changes/clarifications you suggested.

Also, what are your thoughts on the final couple of abilities?
    Last edited by TravelLog; 2011-08-26 at 01:50 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I find it odd that You need 3rd level spells for but 10 ranks in a skill.
    I like the final ability's, but it doesn't say the action for drinking.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Care for a Spot of Tea needs to be tweaked. Tracking the precise amount of damage sustained in the last two rounds, for every creature that the Gentleman could conceivably choose to heal, is a burden on the player & probably the GM. Most likely, they will simply guesstimate it, or quickly house-rule a more static number of points restored. Making a rule that won't withstand normal play is bad design. You should set the healing to something more concrete, more like a paladin's Lay on Hands ability. Other than that, cool class.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Personally, I'm reminded of Raffles, Gentleman Thug. Top hole, old chap!
    Last edited by Blynkibrax; 2011-08-26 at 08:52 AM.
    Ut Abyssus per orbis terrarum.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    I find it odd that You need 3rd level spells for but 10 ranks in a skill.
    I like the final ability's, but it doesn't say the action for drinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Care for a Spot of Tea needs to be tweaked. Tracking the precise amount of damage sustained in the last two rounds, for every creature that the Gentleman could conceivably choose to heal, is a burden on the player & probably the GM. Most likely, they will simply guesstimate it, or quickly house-rule a more static number of points restored. Making a rule that won't withstand normal play is bad design. You should set the healing to something more concrete, more like a paladin's Lay on Hands ability. Other than that, cool class.
    Made changes based on these suggestions (the Care for a Spot of Tea alteration is spoilered beneath the current version). Thanks for the PEACHing!