New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Good Wizard handbook?

I can't seem to find an up to date wizard handbook. Are there any really stellar ones out there I am missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Good Wizard handbook?

Keep in mind the last 4e publication was well over a year ago...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There's a few ones on the WOTC forum that are decent. Bear in mind that the current handbook severely undervalues all wall/zone spells because they don't work with the 'virtual tabletop' software the author is using. The previous one (by naus) is actually better, but it tends to overvalue defensive feats and abilities (e.g. labeling a feat that gives +1 defense to your summons as "mandatory", which is a clear exaggeration). The one before that was built on the notion that the Best Way Ever to play a wizard is to become a Blood Mage multiclass Warlock, so it overvalued all options related to that, and the writer left in a huff when too many people pointed out that this doesn't work so well in actual gameplay, but I think that handbook got deleted.

Bottom line, take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt Whenever people tell you that some feat or power is "mandatory" or has "no alternatives" you should read that as "this person really really likes" that feat or power, not that it is objectively so extremely strong. Well, except if they're talking about expertise feats, basically.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2013-10-11 at 02:54 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Note that there's a number of different ways to play a powerful and successful wizard; possibly more so than any other class in 4e because there is simply so much material to draw from. As a result, any single guide is going to be prejudiced towards the author's particular take on how best to use the material presented.

Another consideration is that the guides can't possibly take into account all the different possible combinations of party members you're traveling with. After all, wizards don't live in a vacuum where the abilities of their companions don't matter. One thing that I've found tends not to be emphasized enough in build guides is simply talking to the other players. Find out what their characters can do and then take powers and feats that synergy well with those abilities.

For instance, zones can be great, but your party needs a lot of forced movement powers to really take advantage of them. Otherwise, the zones end up only being useful for one round or are actually dangerous for you and your allies if the monsters have forced movement powers.

Another example would be if you're traveling with a swordmage or warden. With those defenders, any kind of forced movement powers become much more valuable than a guide might indicate because you can help them do their job by moving monsters away from the swordmage or next to the warden.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

My 2cents:
    * Crystal Orb from PHB3 - a lot of will attacks and phsycic powers;
    * Resplendent gloves for some extra damage
    * Orb of Imposition class feature and daily powers that apply save-ends effects (don't forget Spell Focus feat on lvl 11). -8 to first save and -2 to all the rest can really lock the solo/elite-monster out of the fight
    * Area attacks and Enlarge Spell feat. Crowd control for the masses.

All the rest is dependent on your party. For example: we needed extra healing so I multi-classed into cleric. In paragon this means you get a surge+3d6 healing for minor action (once a day). That is pretty neat.

And spread the Daily powers, so that you can have a variety depending on situation. Remember, you get to pick 2 powers and each day you choose one of them.

If you have the leader grant you THP - BloodMage becomes a nice combo.

To summarize: the wizard gets to be anything you want. Though not top-notch striker or top-notch defender, you could even fill those roles occasionally.
    - - -
    There is always tendency towards chaos.

The Plight of Harlington - IC thread - OOC thread -
    Latest map
    Battle map

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Basically there is a priority bucket list for wizards:

Controller Role: Pick powers to restrict your enemies, focus on the status effects. Damage is secondary to that. That is why the handbooks rank the daily "sleep" high" while "Fireball" Is realyl really low.

Missed attacks don't have the full effect
    Increasing burst blast size will increase targets
    Higher initiative = More effectiveness for your turn 1 daily attack

Your zones and effects dissapear if you die....

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Use Archmage Ascension- The Wizard's handbook on the Wizard's community.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Bottom line, take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt Whenever people tell you that some feat or power is "mandatory" or has "no alternatives" you should read that as "this person really really likes" that feat or power, not that it is objectively so extremely strong. Well, except if they're talking about expertise feats, basically.
    Or Elven Chain Shirt for a melee Striker or light-armor Defender. Who designed that bloody thing anyway?
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2013-10-12 at 09:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Or Elven Chain Shirt for a melee Striker or light-armor Defender. Who designed that bloody thing anyway?
    Possibly the same person who decided that there's no Armor Specialization (leather) feat.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    Possibly the same person who decided that there's no Armor Specialization (leather) feat.
    Anyone who wants to Specialize in Leather can either take Hide or has some other option available to them. And the dubious wording behind Studded Leather (point of interest: does it count as Leather for related feats?) beyond its requirement for additional proficiency.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    More to the point, who designed the notion of slotless items. Because there are a few very strong or overpowered "head slot" items (e.g.) but at least they all have the restriction that you can't use more than one of them. But wondrous/slotless items you can just stick in your backpack in any quantity and they'll all work.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!