New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Easiest way to level alchemy is make random potions (preferably with a guide open so you don't fizzle) looping between Markarth and Riften. This is a 51 hour loop, so both stores restock each time, and you can easily make profit off of this. Especially if you have +alchemy crafting gear.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

Why do you need a 51 hour loop? The stores reset every 24 hours so it's probably quicker to just wait outside one of them than to always have to run from the front gate to the store.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-29 at 12:39 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ogre in the Playground

Stores reset after 48 hours.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I tried the semi-random potion thing. The trick is that it's very obvious rather quickly that the amount of skillup you get is directly related to the value of the potion that results -- at some points when I first started the alchemy grinding, I was getting 2 levels every 3 combines from some of the multi-effect potions\poisons.

Compare that to the 20 or so combines I needed from some of the best Chaurus Egg potions I could figure out, and it's not a hard decision to make.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragon's Tongue + Fly Amanita + Mora Tapinella = 4 effect potion that isn't the most useful or valuable, but has the benefit of being fairly common/easy to get ingredients.

Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota = five effects, and one of the more valuable potions that doesn't require anything weird/hard to get.

Glow Dust + Glowing Mushroom + Hanging Moss = five effect, valuable potion. Glow Dust is usually the hurdle with this one, the cave I got all the Chaurus Eggs from was also from of the Glowing Mushrooms.

---------------

I seem to have hit another small bug. For some reason, even though I improved the Dragonplate set I'm using to train Heavy Armor, the extra armor points aren't showing and aren't counting. Apparently this is a semi-known & common bug. Meh, this isn't a "real" set as far as I'm concerned, no sleep going to be lost.

Speaking of training, I have a new favorite "final kill" animation. As I said in an earlier comment I've switched from Bound Sword to Bound Battleaxe in order to train 2h Weapon. A couple of times since I've gotten an animation where I put the weapon behind their head and headbutt them to death. This is especially amusing since both times, I've had an arrow sticking out of my head and the animation caused it to clip through theirs, as if I'm killing them with their own arrow
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ogre in the Playground

Killing the enemies with their own arrows in the only honourable way to kill them.

That's why I love slow time. I often go out bandit/draugr hunting with just my bow and no arrows or other weapons and will rely solely on arrows, shot by them, that I catch mid flight.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-03-29 at 06:04 PM.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Killing the enemies with their own arrows in the only honourable way to kill them.

That's why I love slow time. I often go out bandit/draugr hunting with just my bow and no arrows or other weapons and will rely solely on arrows, shot by them, that I catch mid flight.
    How on earth do you do that? What rank slow-time?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    How on earth do you do that? What rank slow-time?
    Three words now but I've been doing it since one word. It's quite easy. You just wait for an archer to notch an arrow, shout, stand still so he shoots, wait until the "pick up arrow" thing pops up and then click the loot button.

If you are feeling flashy you can sidestep out of the way and snatch the arrow from the side instead of head on.

With the right timing you can even do it without slow time but I've only managed to do that once and that took me probably hundreds of tries (I didn't count).

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

If you use manipulation to grab the arrow can you kill people with it?

I wonder... could I use telekinesis to fire arrows at people?

I'd always figured launched arrows were no longer objects...
    Last edited by druid91; 2012-03-29 at 09:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Well, that and punching them to death. Usually I enjoy wandering into Stormcloak/Imperial camps with no weapons, only my fists and occasionally a shield to work on my blocking.
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm at level 30 now and I haven't seen a single banish weapon. Is it that rare? Do vendors sell them, or it's loot only? Because I've been diligently combing every vendor everytime I passed through a city for any reason. Or do I need until even higher level?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I'm at level 30 now and I haven't seen a single banish weapon. Is it that rare? Do vendors sell them, or it's loot only? Because I've been diligently combing every vendor everytime I passed through a city for any reason. Or do I need until even higher level?
    I've never seen one either. And I've gone up to level 68. So I doubt level is a factor.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Vendors definitely sell Banish weapons, that's how I got the enchant. I bought one off the blacksmith in Whiterun and I've seen others in her stock several times. It's easily one of the most valuable enchantments, once you start putting that on stuff your biggest problem is going to be finding vendors that have enough gold to buy them.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    These can be sold, but - as you have already experienced - are extremely rare.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Try White River Watch for a banish weapon. I keep finding them there.

And I always do a loop from Riften to Solitude. My route takes me through Ivarstead, Riverwood, Whiterun, Rorikstead, Dragon Bridge and then Solitude. Fewer Forsworn, more road to pick. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll take a carriage from Solitude to Winterhold and go back to Riften through Windhelm, Kynesgrove and Shor's Stone.

Giant's are only bad at low levels. Higher up they just can't hit as hard, and so as long as you don't let your health get too low you'll be okay. Plus since they still hit you, you can level up Heavy Armor while you're at it. Particularly since you'll usually find two of them at a camp.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Also, with good crafting skills and Assassin's Blade (especially with Shrouded Gloves) you can oneshot Giants with daggers trivially.

Actually, that works on every enemy in the game, except things that you can't reach (dragons), and enemies with supersenses (Draugr Deathlords, some dragons).

When I say supersenses, I mean "detects you invisible and muffled while sneaking unencumbered with 100 sneak"

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can you find the double backstab damage enchantment on anything besides the Shrouded Gloves, such as random gloves in shops or as loot? Because I used to think that the Shrouded Boots were the only boots in the game that had a Muffle enchantment, until I saw a random pair in a shop that had it too, so I could learn the enchantment. I'm just wondering if the same is true for Shrouded Gloves.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

According to the wiki, it doesn't seem to. It's not on the list of enchants there either.

I got both Muffle & Banish from the two-vendor blacksmithing shop in Whiterun, although Banish was one of the last few I got. I still haven't gotten the Resist Poison enchant from anything yet, though. I've made a substantial portion of my in-game wealth from the Banish enchant. Per the wiki, however...

"Finding merchants that sell items with this effect for disenchantment purposes is only possible when you are level 22 or higher."
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-03-30 at 01:54 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    wish I could find a good one for Chaurus Eggs, I've got enough of them for a couple of playthroughs of the game
    Make invisibility potions with them. It's one of the more valuable effects, and it's their fourth property.

The effects you should be looking for to produce high value (and therefore good for training) potions and poisons are:
    fortify or damage any kind of regen
    invisibility
    slow
    paralysis

I'm not sure whether to add frenzy to that list.

The Giant's Toe ingredient inexplicably produces potions worth a lot more than their effects would indicate. If two potions have identical effects but one was made with a Giant's Toe and the other wasn't, then the GT one will have a much higher price tag. Combine this with it having one of the top value effects (damage stamina regen), and it can be used to make some spectacularly pricy potions/poisons.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

How do you refill the
    Spoiler
    Show
    White Phial?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

Wait 24 hours if you've completed the second quest. If not, complete the second quest.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim v1.5.26 PC Patch Released

An "incremental" v1.5.26 beta patch has been released that features a handful of small but useful bug fixes for the RPG. Console players can expect the patch soonish, too:

The most recent beta update, 1.5.26, is now live for all users on Steam. The update adds upon the fixes introduced in 1.5.

BUG FIXES

• Fixed issue with frequency of first person kill cameras
    • Underwater effects now display properly
    • Fixed crash when loading certain plugins (PC Only)
    • Fixed issue where sun would not appear properly after fast travel

As an update for folks playing on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the 1.5 update you’ll receive has been submitted to the console manufacturers. Once we know the live dates for PSN and Xbox LIVE, we’ll share more information.
    Storytelling in Dark Souls and Skyrim

Forbes is offering an editorial that compares the methods of storytelling in Dark Souls and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, with the author favoring the first over the latter due to its unobtrusiveness and for being deeply tied to the video game medium. Obligatory sampling ahead:

Games are a unique medium, and a game like Dark Souls takes full advantage of this medium to not just tell the story, but to let the story unfold around you during the game itself. “Show, don’t tell,” is a fundamental lesson in crafting good fiction; in games we go one step further. Story ought to be embedded within the gameplay itself, with only the briefest interludes.

A game like Skyrim may at first glance appear to do just this – after all, there are no cut-scenes to speak of; but in fact, the narrative portions of the game are still very much parceled off from the actual game. Every moment you spend working your way through dialogue options is a moment you could be off exploring.

Then again, the more I sit with Skyrim and think about what all that exploring and questing amounts to, the less impressed I become. I’ll admit that playing Dark Souls has had a huge impact on how I’ve been thinking about games recently, and what heights games can reach if they truly stick to what makes them unique; to what makes them games in the first place.

Perhaps embarrassingly, I find myself simply thinking about Dark Souls a great deal these days. Its mystery has taken root and even though there has been virtually no dialogue and even though I am still only beginning to piece together the story itself, I find myself turning it all over in my head time and again even when I’m not playing. Maybe this is precisely because there is so little story to go off of, that I as a gamer am forced to drag my imagination out from where it’s been hiding lately.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Speaking of the patch, has anyone else found their game has become nigh unplayable since? My game freezes at random times on an almost hourly basis now and it wasn't doing that before.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

I'm getting crashes very often now. It might be one of my mods, but I've got so many that it'd take months to diagnose.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's make a poll on supporters of Skyrim Civil War.
    1. The Empire
    - You can view them as tyrants who sold out their own subjects or buying them time to get back on their feet when they sign White Gold Concordat..
    2. Stormcloaks
    - Either Good guys rebel or racist idiots who is unintentionally destroying skyrim and the empire.

My pick is on The Empire
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Bugbear in the Playground

Empire for me, no question.

Edit: What I mean to say is, the Empire is a lesser evil in this situation, and since supporting either side is bad for the Thalmor, it's not much of a choice for me.
    Last edited by Pie Guy; 2012-04-01 at 08:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I'm getting crashes very often now. It might be one of my mods, but I've got so many that it'd take months to diagnose.
    How many mods do you have? I assume 1024.
    Okay step 1: Turn off all mods and see if the problem remains. If it remains its the patch, if it vanishes its the game.
    Step 2: If its the mods, turn off half of the mods see if you have a problem. Do the same for the other half. If neither is a problem its some combination of mods, if only one is a problem its only one mod.
    Step 3: Repeat step 2, except instead of turning only half mods off, classify all the mods in the non-problematic half as good mods, and only turn off half the bad mods. If both halves work alone pick the half you like more as non-problematic. Then go back to step two except "half of the mods" is half of the non-problematic mods. It should take about 8 tries of step two to finish.

P.S. If in step 2 you ever find that both halves are problematic, you'll need to turn off one of those halves, and ignore them for a while. Once you have found one of the problem mods, turn that mod off, and then go back to step 2, and work back through the previously ignored mods.

In all seriousness though, turning all the mods off and seeing what happens will tell you if its the patch or not at least.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Let's make a poll on supporters of Skyrim Civil War.
    1. The Empire
    - You can view them as tyrants who sold out their own subjects or buying them time to get back on their feet when they sign White Gold Concordat..
    2. Stormcloaks
    - Either Good guys rebel or racist idiots who is unintentionally destroying skyrim and the empire.

My pick is on The Empire
    One of the two tried to execute me. The other thinks I am the bee's knees. It's got to be Stormcloaks for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #1228

Why not option C? Join the stormcloaks long enough to overthrow the empire, then destroy the stormcloaks and take your place as Witch-King of Skyrim, move the capital to Whiterun, use the thieves guild and dark brotherhood as enforcers, and the companions and military leaders, backed by battle mages trained at the colledge, all of them loyal to you alone.

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I was making a poll and statistics of Skyrim Players' civil war factions in giantitp forums. (Skyrim poll shows more stormcloak supporters by a margin while escapist shows imperial supporter by over 70%).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

30. - Top - End - #1230

Empire for the simple reason that they're all-inclusive, even if they suck at governing. Better than racist yokels being in charge. Shame about Talos, but
    Spoiler
    Show
    if Elisef, the wife of the murdered king, can come around on that issue, it wont be long before other Imperials/White-Gold Concordant supporters do, too.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet