New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tumble

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Tumble

I don't like how tumble works by RAW. How about you roll d20+dexmod+ranks in tumble-10 and add the result to your AC as you move past monsters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Tumble

Quote Originally Posted by hivedragon View Post
    I don't like how tumble works by RAW. How about you roll d20+dexmod+ranks in tumble-10 and add the result to your AC as you move past monsters.
    Because then you take a skill that already has optimal use and break it into severely abused pieces. Why would you move using anything but tumble?
    Bustin' chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    I'm pretty certain myancey is absolutely, 100% objectively correct.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah man, I'd get out while you still enjoy d&d.

As much as it sucks to say, some people aren't meant to DM because they lack the ability to make judgment calls. These people include:

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy Backyard Poultry magazine
    People who post on Rants and Raves (craigslist)
    People who buy hummers
    Professional laser tag players

And this list goes on.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by myancey View Post
    Because then you take a skill that already has optimal use and break it into severely abused pieces.
    I don't understand what you mean. If anything I am making tumble less broken.

Why would you move using anything but tumble?
    because you have to tumble at half your speed and you can't tumble in medium or heavy armor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

I don't understand what you mean. If anything I am making tumble less broken.
    First off, you would be adding your Dex mod twice.

d20+dexmod+ranks in tumble-10 and add the result to your AC
    The "dexmod" and remainder of AC account for the two of those.

Secondly, the net result of your proposed check simply adds your AC to the result of the original skill roll, -10 of course. But AC normally adds 10, so your proposed roll comes out as Skill roll + AC modifier. AC Modifier is defined as AC - 10. That creates a powerful result for overcoming the DCs listed in the various entries of the tumble skill.

The way your check is written, it seems as though anyone would get the opportunity to attack if the tumbler moved past. It's likely that only a natural 20 would land with the way the check is written.

because you have to tumble at half your speed and you can't tumble in medium or heavy armor.
    But everyone not wearing those two forms of armor (so at least half of the classes offered in 3.5) would be. And mithril would help with that too.

And you can move at your full speed. This is from SRD:

Accelerated Tumbling

You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a -10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

As much as it sucks to say, some people aren't meant to DM because they lack the ability to make judgment calls. These people include:

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I agree with myancey, tumble is not a broken skill but if you were to add it to your AC then yea it would be too useful and everyone that doesn't have a ridiculous AC due to medium/heavy armor would be using it. Not only this but if your just trying to get past a bad guy without the attack of opportunity, their are other ways around this (armband of elusive action MIC) Your dex is included in your AC for this reason. If you are a Dexterous character then you will be harder to hit due to the fact your AC includes dex.
    Last edited by theForce017; 2011-06-13 at 10:11 PM.
    TableTopSRD - New d20 system reference site

Spoiler
    Show
    Halfling Thrower
    [INDENT]Warblade 3/Swashbuckler 2/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Swashbuckler 1/Halfling Paragon 3/Master Thrower 5/Bloodstorm Blade 2
    Items: Returning Collision Dagger x2, Gloves of Dex +6, Headband of Int +6, Cloak of Resistance +5
    Damage: 1d3 + 30 per Dagger with 15+ attacks
    Saves: Fort: +27 Ref: +33 Will: +20

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah...this actually makes Tumble even better.

As a side note, dwarves can tumble no matter what they're wearing or carrying. I really ought to make a tumbling full-plate wearing dwarf sometime.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Okay I think I'm misinterpreting something. As I understand it, if I roll 15 or higher I am immune to attacks of oportunity. My way the enemies can actually make attacks of oportunity against me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    As a side note, dwarves can tumble no matter what they're wearing or carrying. I really ought to make a tumbling full-plate wearing dwarf sometime.
    Where's this come from? Because it may be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Man, I love tumbling characters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Okay I think I'm misinterpreting something. As I understand it, if I roll 15 or higher I am immune to attacks of oportunity. My way the enemies can actually make attacks of oportunity against me.
    It basically does the same thing, as the average roll of ten cancels out the penalty, effectively giving you an AC bonus equal to your tumble modifier, and it works against all attacks that round, not AoOs.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

You're not immune. You make a check--if you fail, then you provoke an AoO. SRD says that in this line:

Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally.
    Also, you make rolls for each person you move past separately, as stated in SRD here:

Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie).
    It is certainly not broken. Tumble needs no nerfs, and no bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by King Atticus View Post
    Where's this come from? Because it may be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Man, I love tumbling characters.
    Yeah, I pretty much wanna do that too.
    Last edited by myancey; 2011-06-13 at 10:42 PM.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King Atticus View Post
    You can't tumble if your speed is reduced by your armor or encumbrance. Dwarves are not slowed down by armor. Therefore... tumbling in full plate.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    You can't tumble if your speed is reduced by your armor or encumbrance. Dwarves are not slowed down by armor. Therefore... tumbling in full plate.
    That...is...so...glorious.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Still affected by Armor Check Penalty, naturally, but that's a fairly minor obstacle.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I think there's a major misinterpretation going on here - the OP is not suggesting to have Tumble add to AC for all purposes, but rather to have it add to AC specifically vs movement-based AoOs. This is almost a straight up nerf, as enemies do at least get to roll their attacks rather than being denied the chance entirely.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not just Tumble versus their attack bonus, or just adopt the Tumble vs CMD that Pathfinder uses? A Tumble roll versus a bunch of flat DCs is much, much better for gameflow than what amounts to an opposed roll from everyone you pass.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-06-13 at 11:15 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I think there's a major misinterpretation going on here - the OP is not suggesting to have Tumble add to AC for all purposes, but rather to have it add to AC specifically vs movement-based AoOs. This is almost a straight up nerf, as enemies do at least get to roll their attacks rather than being denied the chance entirely.
    But he didn't make it clear in the text. He just said to add it to AC.

Besides, we've moved on, we're now discussing full plate wearing dwarves who do backflips.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-06-13 at 11:20 PM.
    My Steam profile

17. - Top - End - #17
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    But he didn't make it clear in the text. He just said to add it to AC.
    Add to AC "as you move past monsters." To me, that seems pretty clear that it's specifically for the attacks related to the mentioned movement.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Add to AC "as you move past monsters." To me, that seems pretty clear that it's specifically for the attacks related to the mentioned movement.
    I disagree. As Swiftmongoose says, he didn't make it clear...at all. He could have meant any number of things with what he was trying to say. He wasn't exactly clear on the details. Plus...more than one person read it as saying the same, convoluted thing I thought it was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Why not just Tumble versus their attack bonus, or just adopt the Tumble vs CMD that Pathfinder uses? A Tumble roll versus a bunch of flat DCs is much, much better for gameflow than what amounts to an opposed roll from everyone you pass.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Besides, we've moved on, we're now discussing full plate wearing dwarves who do backflips.
    Which is basically the coolest thing ever. Scottish accents (at least in Salvatore's books) and back flips make for wicked NPCs...or players.
    Last edited by myancey; 2011-06-14 at 12:41 AM.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I think I really like the idea of Tumble vs the enemy attack bonus. Is there anything I'm missing that makes this unfair or non-viable?

(Also, tumbling fullplate dwarves are indeed cool.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kosjsjach View Post
    I think I really like the idea of Tumble vs the enemy attack bonus. Is there anything I'm missing that makes this unfair or non-viable?

(Also, tumbling fullplate dwarves are indeed cool.)
    It's not necessarily a bad thing. It is in the method listed above that I take issue. It's in trying to combine a skill with AC, two items begging for people to break them. Yes, a natural 20 would still succeed on making a regular attack--obviously missing the critical confirm.

Another point mentioned was that it would slow down the game progress. The current skill roll has you attempting to make a set DC as you try and pass people. This means you roll 5 15's. Otherwise, you'd need to compare rolls to the attackers, slowing the game down.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I just have each additional attacker beyond the first increase the DC by 2. Simple and elegant.
    I am the Thread-killer. All threads involving me inevitably die. It is my curse, a curse that deprives me of the answers I seek.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gan The Grey View Post
    I just have each additional attacker beyond the first increase the DC by 2. Simple and elegant.
    Yeah, that's a basic SRD rule for tumble as well.

Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
    Bustin' chops.

Spoiler
    Show

The drug-addled
    Furries
    People who buy hummers

And this list goes on.

23. - Top - End - #23

OldWizardGuy

Yeah, that's a basic SRD rule for tumble as well.
    See? I'm not the only one who thought it was a good idea.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Gan The Grey; 2011-06-14 at 01:26 AM.
    I am the Thread-killer. All threads involving me inevitably die. It is my curse, a curse that deprives me of the answers I seek.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kobold

I have a glorious image of a spiked fullplate wearing dwarf who curls himself into an armoured ball and rolls around the battlefield exclusively using tumble, bull rush and overrun

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by supermonkeyjoe View Post
    I have a glorious image of a spiked fullplate wearing dwarf who curls himself into an armoured ball and rolls around the battlefield exclusively using tumble, bull rush and overrun
    Are there blue dwarves? Or can we please paint the fullplate blue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

However, it is easy enough to gain enough skill in Tumble to not have to roll for passing the DC. On the other hand, is it such a bad thing that some, mostly low-to medium HD classes can move around the battlefield ignoring AoO's?
    The skill is hardly broken as is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kosjsjach View Post
    Yeah, you just changed a basic mechanic from something you know how to do, to a risk. Now, if you wanted to also make any spell fail unless the caster makes a Spellcraft check higher than any enemy attack bonus in the spell's range, that might make for an equitable set of changes. Tumble is a skill that my Rogues use more than Tier 1 classes use spellcasting. Having spellcasters not know in advance if they'll be able to cast successfully might add some much-needed challenge to the most powerful characters.

Is making Tumble risky going to increase the fun of the game for players?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

If you use enemies that know how to tumble and prioritize their targets in battle, and you play with players interested in performing an actual 'tank' role, then yes. There are only two classes in the whole game who are actually capable of preventing enemies from just rolling past them to punch the squishies - such as your casters, a plot escort, or your pack mules - and that's a problem.

Paladin Nobly McJust shouts "never fear, fair maiden: stand behind me I shall protect you.", and Assassin Meany McJerk just stifles some laughter, says "nope", and strolls on by to stab her in the face. Maybe he should have been a Crusader or a Knight. Or maybe he shouldn't have to do that at all to be able to protect anyone.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-06-14 at 02:32 PM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by supermonkeyjoe View Post
    Thibbledorf Pwent?
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    Thibbledorf Pwent?
    No, he charges with his helmet spike and uses his spiked gauntlets and armor in grappling.
    My Steam profile