Default Sons of the Desert [PrC]

Al-shra'a Al-mharb

Qadir Raashid of the Desert, Al-shra'a Al-mharb

HD: d8

Requirements
    BAB: +4
    Skills: Jump 8 ranks, Martial Lore 2 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks
    Feats: Desert Fire, Desert Wind Dodge
    Maneuvers: Abillity to use 2nd level maneuvers of the Desert Wind discipline, and at least one stance.
    Special: Skirmish class feature, must be a desert native.

Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble and Use Rope.
    Skill-points per level: 6+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
    1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|Blazing skirmish (+1d6+1), heat endurance
    2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Evasion, burning maneuver
    3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Blazing skirmish (+1d6+1, +1 AC)
    4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Scorching sirocco
    5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Blazing skirmish (+2d6+2, +1 AC)
    6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Stance of the desiccator, improved heat endurance
    7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Blazing skirmish (+2d6+2, +2 AC)
    8th|+6|+6|+6|+2|Improved evasion
    9th|+6|+6|+6|+3|Blazing skirmish (+3d6+3, +2 AC)
    10th|+7|+7|+7|+3|Desert soul stance
    [/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|0|1|1
    2nd|1|0|0
    3rd|1|0|0
    4th|0|1|0
    5th|1|0|0
    6th|1|0|1
    7th|0|1|0
    8th|1|0|0
    9th|1|0|0
    10th|0|1|0
    [/table]

Weapon and Armor proficiencies: You gain proficiencies with all the weapons of the Desert Wind discipline, but not with any new armors or shields.

Maneuvers: At each level except 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th, an al-shra'a al-mharb gains new maneuvers known from the Desert Wind, Iron Heart, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full al-shra'a al-mharb levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At levels 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 1st, 5th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Desert Wind, Iron Heart, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Blazing Skirmish (Su): At first level your connection to the desert and use of martial prowess combine. You gain a unique variation of the skirmish class feature of the Scout. It acts identically to that of the Scout, but the extra damage by this class feature is fire damage instead of normal weapon damage. This class feature stacks with the aforementioned skirmish class feature for both extra damage and AC improvement.
    Additionally, when used in conjunction with any Desert Wind strike or boost, the fire damage improves by 1d6 and the AC improves by 1 for every 3 levels of al-shra'a al-mharb you have after first.

Heat Endurance: You are used to the desert wastes and the intense heat that almost never leaves you. At first level, you gain the Heat Endurance feat, whether or not you meet the feat's prerequisites.

Evasion (Ex): Your knack for evading the very flames you harness is unlike most others. At 2nd level, you gain the evasion class feature of the rogue(PHB). If you already have the evasion class feature you instead gain improved evasion.

Burning Maneuver (Ex): At 2nd level, your ability to keep flames alive is almost unmatched. Whenever you deal fire damage with a maneuver that deals fire damage, your opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10+Maneuver level+Wis modifier) or take half again the same damage a round for one round thereafter.

Scorching Sirocco: At 4th level, your blazing combat style improves. You gain the Scorching Sirocco feat, whether or not you meet the feat's prerequisites.

Stance of the Desiccator (Su): At 6th level, the fire you generate is so intense that it burns even those who would normally resist. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any Desert Wind stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, any fire damage you deal as a result of any Desert Wind maneuver or the Blazing Skirmish class feature is not effected by fire resistance. Creatures normally immune to fire damage take half damage instead. Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage instead of their regular 150%.
    Additionally, you become immune to all forms of desiccation damage and any fire resistance you have from any source improves by 5.

Improved Heat Endurance: Your tolerance for the desert heat improves further, to a point where the hottest deserts may be considered cool. At 6th level, you gain the Improved Heat Endurance feat, whether or not your meet the feat's prerequisites.

Improved Evasion: Just as the rogue class feature(PHB). If you already have the benefits of the improved evasion class feature, you gain no additional benefits from this.

Desert Soul Stance (Su): At 10th level, you are truly one with the desert and it's blazing winds. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any Desert Wind stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. Your shape becomes domineering and like a pillar of fire and flaying sand, granting you a +4 bonus to all Intimidate and Tumble checks. You gain the Fire subtype, including all of it's benefits and penalties. Additionally, you gain an aura of flames and burning sand. This aura deals damage to anyone attacking you with a non-reach melee weapon takes an amount of fire/desiccation damage equal to the amount of damage you would deal with both your skirmish and blazing skirmish class features combined. This aura also allows you to take a standard action to deal the same amount of damage to everyone within 30 feet of you, with a Reflex save for half damage(DC 19+Wis modifier). Lastly, your base land speed doubles.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-03-13 at 02:57 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Sons of the Desert [PrC]

Blazing Skirmish (Su): At first level your connection to the desert and use of martial prowess combine. You gain a unique variation of the skirmish class feature of the Scout. It acts identically to that of the Scout, but the extra damage by this class feature is fire damage instead of normal weapon damage. This class feature stacks with the aforementioned skirmish class feature for both extra damage and AC improvement.
    Additionally, when used in conjunction with any Desert Wind strike or boost, the fire damage improves by 2d6 and the AC improves by 1.
    I'd consider boosting the fire damage to 1d6+1, or maybe 1d8, seeing as how common fire resistance is. Also, it might be better to reduce the bonus damage to only one die, maybe have it increase over time.

Blazing Maneuver (Ex): At 2nd level, your ability to keep flames alive is almost unmatched. Whenever you deal fire damage with a maneuver that deals fire damage, your opponent must make a Reflex save (DC 10+Maneuver level+Wis modifier) or take half again the same damage a round for as many rounds as the maneuvers level.
    A bit powerful, I'd have it just repeat once. The way it is now, someone could use the 9th level strike to deal over 500 damage over a while, which is a bit excessive.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    I'd consider boosting the fire damage to 1d6+1, or maybe 1d8, seeing as how common fire resistance is. Also, it might be better to reduce the bonus damage to only one die, maybe have it increase over time.

A bit powerful, I'd have it just repeat once. The way it is now, someone could use the 9th level strike to deal over 500 damage over a while, which is a bit excessive.
    Done and done.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I would suggest having Stance of the Dessicator act as the Searing Spell metamagic feat for the purposes of all Desert Wind maneuvers as well as the Blazing Skirmish.

(That is; ignore all fire resistance, but creatures with fire immunity take half damage.)

In addition to the fact that so large a number of creatures CR 11 and up are resistant to energy damage, there is also an opportunity cost to consider. This stance, or some other stance? Including the capstone ability, which can't be used in conjunction with this. By boosting the Stance of the Dessicator in this manner, it would stay competitive at all levels.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

As per normal, another one of the many reasons I wanna get my hands on a copy of the Book of Nine swords for my very own.

One thing about this class: How do ya pronounce it's name? :D

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I would suggest having Stance of the Dessicator act as the Searing Spell metamagic feat for the purposes of all Desert Wind maneuvers as well as the Blazing Skirmish.

(That is; ignore all fire resistance, but creatures with fire immunity take half damage.)

In addition to the fact that so large a number of creatures CR 11 and up are resistant to energy damage, there is also an opportunity cost to consider. This stance, or some other stance? Including the capstone ability, which can't be used in conjunction with this. By boosting the Stance of the Dessicator in this manner, it would stay competitive at all levels.
    So you're saying instead of it also doing desiccation damage, have the Dessicator Stance, Blazing Skirmish and Soul of the Desert all under the effects of the Searing Spell feat?

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    As per normal, another one of the many reasons I wanna get my hands on a copy of the Book of Nine swords for my very own.

One thing about this class: How do ya pronounce it's name? :D

-X
    Actually... just how it's spelled.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-03-08 at 08:12 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nice idea here, and nicely executed.

Also, you've inspired me with ideas for several PrCs. Thanks a lot.

Just kidding. Wonderful work.

Now to go make those PrCs...

-The Djinn

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    So you're saying instead of it also doing desiccation damage, have the Dessicator Stance, Blazing Skirmish and Soul of the Desert all under the effects of the Searing Spell feat?
    I don't think that's what I'm saying. I'm kind of confused. To try to put it more simply, I'm suggesting that the 6th level ability read something like:

Stance of the Desiccator (Su): At 6th level, the fire you generate is so intense that it burns even those who would normally resist. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any Desert Wind stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, any fire damage you deal as a result of any Desert Wind maneuver or the Blazing Skirmish class feature is not effected by fire resistance. Creatures normally immune to fire damage take half damage instead. Creatures with the cold subtype take double damage instead of their regular 150%.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I don't think that's what I'm saying. I'm kind of confused. To try to put it more simply, I'm suggesting that the 6th level ability read something like:

Hey, I like that. Don't mind if I knick it.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I just fixed the table for the skirmish damage and AC bonus. I realized I didn't do a good job copy/pasting it from the original word file I have. Now it's fixed, though.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I totally dig. I love fire PrCs. And this one looks pretty balanced, to boot!

This reminds me, I should put up the redux of my HfK..

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

very nice. you should give a movement bonus to the level 10 stance. just seems to fit.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    very nice. you should give a movement bonus to the level 10 stance. just seems to fit.
    That's good, I'll add that. Thanks.

Spoiler
    Show