New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 69 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1944596061626364656667686970717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2041
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    A 1016
    It is a 2nd level spell that exactly what Color spray says, only it affects everyone in a 40-foot cone or a 120-foot line, according to their HD (instead of the regular 15ft. cone)
    Q 1017

So, basically, a Scultped spell can, if the right area is chosen, hit enemies farther away than it's normal range?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #2042
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 1018.
    What weapons have x4 crit multiplier?

Q 1019
    Is dread necromancer damaged by his own negative energy burst?

3. - Top - End - #2043
    Banned

A 1018.
    Picks and scythes are the ones I can think of offhand - also I believe one head of the Dwarven Spearaxe is x4 and the other is x3, though I forget which is which.

4. - Top - End - #2044
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A 1017 Yes.

A 1018 Addendum
    Don't forget MM IV's famous Greathorn Minotaur Hammer

5. - Top - End - #2045
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1020

Does a Dark creature still need cover or concealment to hide? Contrary to other versions of Hide in Plain Sight, the version for the dark creature template does not mention that you can hide without cover or concealment.

Q 1021

Is there a 3.5 update for Lords of Darkness, or more specifically, has the smoking weapon property been updated?

6. - Top - End - #2046
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1020 Yes.

The Dark Creature template in Tome of Magic provides an Extraordinary version of Hide in Plain Sight, and nearly always that means the HiPS does not remove the need for cover/concealment. Supernatural versions of Hide in Plain Sight (such as those of the Assassin and Shadowdancer classes) do remove the need for cover/concealment in order to use the Hide skill.

Do note that there is a Faerûn-only version of Dark Creature template in Cormyr: The Tearing Of The Weave on page 152. That template provides a Supernatural form of Hide in Plain Sight, while retaining the other limitations of the Tome of Magic Dark Creature template (i.e., it's still inoperable in natural daylight or the area of a magical effect producing similar lighting). [Because there is a base (not setting-specific) Dark Creature template and this one is in a Forgotten Realms adventure and not a general supplement, the "improved" template is specific to games and creatures of Faerûn, and thus unavailable elsewhere.]

A 1021 No.

To the best of my knowledge, Lords of Darkness is still the most recent version of the Smoking weapon special ability.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-10-07 at 06:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #2047
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Q 1022

How do I go about making a spell such as gate be cast upon certain conditions being met?

8. - Top - End - #2048

Q 1023

The kyuss worm is a monster that doesn't actually have a statblock (that I can find). Instead it has a little note in the spawn of kyusses monster entry where it says "Each worm is a Fine vermin with 1 hit point and AC 10. It can be killed by normal damage or the touch of silver".

By RAW a kyuss worm can be used for the emanothrope (were vermin) template?. However since it doesn't have an actual statblock (that I can find) How the heck does it interact with it?

9. - Top - End - #2049
    Banned

Q1024
    I need one or more Greyhawk deities who could qualify as the "God of Dreams". Preferably female, preferably Chaotic and/or Good. I found an evil goddess of nightmares but not one of dreams in general. If necessary I'll take any deity offering the Dream domain or something conceptually similar (as written, the Dream domain really ought to be called Nightmare, since nearly all its spells are nasty things like Phantasmal Killer).

Q1025
    If you have 5 ranks in Knowledge: Religion, does the Synergy Bonus to Turn Undead apply to the Charisma Check to determine the maximum HD you can affect, or to the turning "damage" to actually affect them, or both?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-10-08 at 03:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #2050
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1025

The bonus is specific to the Turning Check section of the Turn or Rebuke Undead rules (see here), and has no bearing on the Turning Damage section.

11. - Top - End - #2051
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q1026
    Can a Soulknife use Bands of Extended Range(psionic bands) on his Throw Mind Blade class feature to increase it's range?
    Now you're being rude, and I hate rude people.
    -Hannibal Lecter

Awesome Young Belkar Avatar by Vaynor

12. - Top - End - #2052
    Titan in the Playground

Q1027:If a creature with natural attacks (Skarns for example) undergoes the Rite of Rebirth and becomes a Dragonborn, does it keeps the Natural weapons?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #2053
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 1028

Can an undead cleric bolster himself? How does this turning check interact with turning resistance?

14. - Top - End - #2054

BardGuy

I'm still curious to know if anybody would like to answer Q 1005, which I posted shortly before the forum was closed for maintenance.

Your answer will help me generally to interpret the "Saving Throw" line in spell descriptions more confidently. Let me know if my question belongs in another thread.

15. - Top - End - #2055
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q1029
    Can the Fabricate spell be used to create Masterwork items, e.g. MW Full Plate?

I ask b/c creating a Masterwork item requires _two_ Craft checks, one for the item and one for the MW component. So maybe creating a MW item requires two castings of the spell?
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

16. - Top - End - #2056
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q1030 - Can the Scorpion Parry maneuver be used to block/deflect spells that require an attack roll?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #2057
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1026 No.

You have to follow the chain of rules references through a few hops, but this is disallowed because the mechanism used by the Bands of Extended Range (Complete Psionic, page 113) cannot apply to a Mind Blade: "a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy". The object description says "the bands give the weapon a telekinetic push, doubling its range increment as if you enjoyed the effect of extend range". The mechanism of Extend Range (Complete Psionic, page 89) is to "provide a telekinetic thrust". The description of the Telekinetic Thrust power specifies that it operates on objects or creatures within the specified weight limit. A Mind Blade, being a class feature composed of energy, is not an object or creature, and does not have any weight (mass) to push telekinetically.

A 1028 Yes.

This is explicitly stated in the rules (see here):
    An evil undead cleric can bolster himself in this manner.
    Bolstered undead with turn resistance simply add the resistance to the effective hit dice result of bolstering, for 10 rounds.

A 1029 Generally no.

You cannot use Fabricate to create an item composed of different materials because the spell is limited to material of one sort. There is no capability in the spell to produce superior results through multiple castings; the spell produces the same results regardless of the initial state of the material used.
    Full Plate: This armor consists of shaped and fitted metal plates riveted and interlocked to cover the entire body. The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor. Buckles and straps distribute the weight over the body, so full plate hampers movement less than splint mail even though splint is lighter. Each suit of full plate must be individually fitted to its owner by a master armorsmith ...
    Plate armor, being composed of various metals, leathers, and cloth, cannot be created by a spell limited to one sort of material.

You could use Fabricate to create a masterwork item under the following limits of the spell:
    • The item is composed entirely of material of one sort.
    • You must complete the item with only a single Craft check.
    Because you cannot make a separate check for the masterwork component, the material used must always result in masterwork quality items. Thus you could make, for instance, a mithral or adamantine shuriken via Fabricate, because a shuriken is composed of only one material and those specific materials result in masterwork items without need of a separate masterwork component.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-10-08 at 04:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #2058
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Interesting, thank you!
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

19. - Top - End - #2059
    Ettin in the Playground

Q1031

Are there any mentions for the exact size of settlements, specifically a Metropolis? I know they mentioned population size in the DMG, but I'm looking for square footage it covers.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-10-08 at 10:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #2060
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1032

When a feat, ACF, etc. refers to those spells that a wizard "knows," does that mean all spells on the Sorcerer/Wizard list or only those spells in a given wizard's spellbook (or perhaps something else)?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

21. - Top - End - #2061
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1026 No.

You have to follow the chain of rules references through a few hops, but this is disallowed because the mechanism used by the Bands of Extended Range (Complete Psionic, page 113) cannot apply to a Mind Blade: "a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy". The object description says "the bands give the weapon a telekinetic push, doubling its range increment as if you enjoyed the effect of extend range". The mechanism of Extend Range (Complete Psionic, page 89) is to "provide a telekinetic thrust". The description of the Telekinetic Thrust power specifies that it operates on objects or creatures within the specified weight limit. A Mind Blade, being a class feature composed of energy, is not an object or creature, and does not have any weight (mass) to push telekinetically.
    thanks for the reply!

Additionally, Q1033
    A Soulknife gets Speed of Thought as a bonus feat at 6th level. Does he need to have the Wis 13 prerequisite in order to use it or can he just use it without the prerequisite just like a monk with his bonus feats?
    -Hannibal Lecter

22. - Top - End - #2062
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1031 No.

There is no density specification for settlements in D&D; this is left to each individual DM to decide during world building.

A 1032

A Wizard may know any number of spells, but the number known is a limited subset of their class list. Spells known refers to those spells the Wizard has learned either automatically from class abilities (initial level 0 and 1 spells, plus 2 spells per subsequent level) or as demonstrated by the relevant successful Spellcraft checks and study days. See the primary definition of learn: "to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience". It is not necessary for the Wizard to have written these spells in a spellbook, but they must have succeeded on all tasks leading up to the actual writing.

A 1033

The class description says the Soulknife gains the feat automatically (regardless of prerequisites), but does not except the character from the usual feat requirements for use. Speed of Thought, like most feats, cannot be used if the character does not meet the prerequisites.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-10-09 at 02:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #2063
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks again for the speedy answers.
    -Hannibal Lecter

24. - Top - End - #2064
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A1024
    Greyhawk deities of dream! Well, looking through the Living Greyhawk Deities list (which gives an expanded list with a lot more detail) most do seem to be evil, but:

Sehanine Moonbow - CG(NG) elf goddess "The Lady of Dreams".

Sotillion is an Oeridian goddess with the dream domain and alignment CG(CN).

The rest seem to be evil.

25. - Top - End - #2065
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 1034

Is it viable to research a spell that changes it's type damage in core only rules? ex) Fireball (fire) into Fireball (force). Or is it only viable to become a Archmage to do so? (albeit no force)?

Q 1035

Ghost Sound tells us it enhances Silent Image, how so and by how much?
    Last edited by Silvanoshei; 2012-10-09 at 02:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #2066
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1034

There is no "changing" involved in spell research.
    A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.
    A divine spellcaster also can research a spell independently, much as an arcane spellcaster can.
    If it doesn't duplicate an existing spell, it's entirely new and each DM decides everything about such a spell created through independent research. There is no mechanism in spell research which could duplicate class abilities particular to the Archmage. It might be possible to research a higher-level spell which would allow selection of energy type at time of casting (effectively the equivalent of taking the Energy Substitution feat five times), but the possibility of such a spell would be entirely at the whim of your individual DM. Regardless, force is not a D&D energy type, so it would likely never be possible to have a single spell which would allow selection of either fire damage (an energy type) or force damage (a special type).

27. - Top - End - #2067
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    (effectively the equivalent of taking the Energy Substitution feat five times).
    Four would be enough as long as the spell did energy damage in the first place. [/nitpick]

28. - Top - End - #2068

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanoshei View Post
    Q 1035

Ghost Sound tells us it enhances Silent Image, how so and by how much?
    A 1035

The Ghost Sound spell can't produce intelligible speech, following the rule that Figments generally can't unless their spell description says otherwise.

From this it follows that the Ghost Sound spell can add any sound effect to the Silent Image spell that is not intelligible speech and that otherwise falls within the volume requirements of the spell. So in the area where the Ghost Sound's area of effect and the Silent Image's area of effect overlap, you can create "enhanced" Figments that are both visible and audible.

Following the rules of Figments further, we could say that a more realistic Silent Image – with sound effects added – is less likely to seem suspicious, so that observers are less likely to interact with it and make Will saves against it.

29. - Top - End - #2069
    Banned

That reminds me...

Q1036
    Generally speaking, what does it mean to "interact" with an illusion? Is it usually a matter of touch? Can, say, a Disguise Self which makes your skin lighter or darker without changing anything else ever be detected through "interacting" and thus prompt a Will save?

30. - Top - End - #2070
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q1037
    If a racial template grants you natural weapons, does that grant you additional attacks as if you were wielding more than 1 weapon?

Ref: Broodguard from Savage Species, pg. 141- gains claws (1d2 damage) and bite (1d3 damage)

Q1038
    If so, would that mean an unarmed Broodguard Monk gains a secondary and tertiary attack? (Unarmed Strike, Claws, Bite)

Q1039
    If so, how do you figure out the attack penalties?
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-10-09 at 12:59 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development