New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by asi View Post
    Hmm. The shipping would be more than the book itself for me, and I don't think I'd really want to do that (even though I really want to have this one and No cure for the Paladin Blues, then my collection would be complete, until Book 7 appears). Maybe we could somehow manage to bundle the orders from Europe (I'm from Münster, Germany), if that can bring down the shipping costs. As far as I recall, in Germany you don't pay import taxes or tariffs or anything as long as it's "normal" books, right?

There was a thread for the last calendar, but imo it didn't make much sense if you also need to pay for shipping inside Germany - and that even with the more ridiculous shipping rates. Though maybe with books it might be worth earlier. I think if you want to organize something, it would make sense to start a new thread for that (I don't think it is really on-topic and gets way out of hand if other countries want to do the same).

I think the cheapest (and easiest) way to get the books is your FLGS (though that doesn't work for Ookoodook-exclusive stuff).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Just a note about the book: Turns out the number of pages was incorrect; it's only 368 pages, not 384. This doesn't change anything about it, all the same material is still included, I just put the wrong number when writing the announcements based on a misreading of the bookmap (I had my signatures misnumbered in the document). I'm only mentioning it for full disclosure.

Also, yes, if you want to discuss bundling orders with other posters, please start a new thread for that one. I want to keep this one clear for people to ask questions, and I don't really want to have to read dozens of unrelated posts to find them.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Just a note about the book: Turns out the number of pages was incorrect; it's only 368 pages, not 384. This doesn't change anything about it, all the same material is still included, I just put the wrong number when writing the announcements based on a misreading of the bookmap (I had my signatures misnumbered in the document). I'm only mentioning it for full disclosure.
    At Ookoodook it is still listed with 384 pages, so that should probably be changed.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    At Ookoodook it is still listed with 384 pages, so that should probably be changed.
    Yes, I know, I don't have direct control over that page and have alerted Ookoodook.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Preordered a book, two 2015 calendars and a single 2014 calendar. Shipping to Germany is 41.37 $. That's really steep but what can you do. (I wonder what it'd cost to ship the same parcel from Germany to the US).

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

It looks fantastic.

Are you going to be offering it though Diamond Previews? I work in a gaming/comic shop in NZ and none of our current suppliers carry OOTS.
    Last edited by Scaleybob; 2014-10-21 at 11:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Scaleybob - tweet column confirms that Diamond does distribute OotS books, so you should be able to acquire the book at your local gaming store, provided they order any. If you've seen OotS stuff there before, I wouldn't worry. If you haven't, I'd consider putting the bug in their ear to order some.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Scaleybob View Post
    It looks fantastic.

Are you going to be offering it though Diamond Previews? I work in a gaming/comic shop in NZ and none of our current suppliers carry OOTS.
    It probably won't be in Previews; OOTS is distributed through Alliance Game Distributors, among others, which is a Diamond sister company. While I think some Alliance products get featured in Previews, I don't think OOTS ever has been. If you order through Diamond, I can't imagine you having much trouble ordering through Alliance, though. There might also be other Pacific distributors, I don't know.
    Rich Burlew

9. - Top - End - #69
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can't afford it, have pre-ordered anyway...food is optional, right?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Don't eat the book! DO NOT EAT THE BOOK.

To pre-order with or without the calendar. I never actually hung the 2014 one, but it was pretty as all hell. And I just got a bonus....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Rich,

I know this isn't the type of question you were looking to answer in regards to book #5, but I still have to ask it.

How on earth did you find a comic that you wrote 11 years ago? It must have been torture digging through archived files and whatnot, unless you're an INCREDIBLY organized person.

I personally would have about 3 hard drives, a handful of DVD's, and thumb drives I'd have to look through to find something like that. A little bit older and I'd have to go find my old ZIP drives.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2014-10-22 at 03:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

If I order a new book plus a De Luxe Edition game, it seems to be cheaper to go for a medium box than a pre-order rate. Is there an error somewhere?

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm in the UK.
    Last edited by keldorn; 2014-10-22 at 07:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

smile Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

I came, I saw, I bought the book and the calendar. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Just popping in here to say that I pre-ordered the book. Hope you get a nice cut*, Master Burlew!

*Of the money I paid, and not a haircut nor a fatal wound with a slashing weapon (we don't want a repeat of Sir Thumb's predicament).

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    How on earth did you find a comic that you wrote 11 years ago? It must have been torture digging through archived files and whatnot, unless you're an INCREDIBLY organized person.

I personally would have about 3 hard drives, a handful of DVD's, and thumb drives I'd have to look through to find something like that. A little bit older and I'd have to go find my old ZIP drives.
    It's not as unthinkable when you realize that I took the idea from that comic and decided that the Durkon-turns-undead event would still happen in the comic someday. When I published the first book, I was already doing stuff like saving the one-panel comics I did for BuzzComix to serve as bonus material, so it was just a matter of thinking, "Oh, whenever I get around to making Durkon undead, I'll use that old strip as bonus material for the book," and not deleting it. And then it just got carried forward with all the other OOTS material as I switched computers and whatnot.

So it was never really "lost" in the first place, it was just in a folder sitting and waiting until I needed it. When it came time to actually take the file and prep it for printing, it took me about 5 minutes to locate.
    Rich Burlew

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    I never actually hung the 2014 one, but it was pretty as all hell. And I just got a bonus....
    Oh thank god I'm not the only one. It just kept getting put off and put off and next thing you know it's September and the calendar is on top of a tall bookcase.

And I still ordered 2015.

17. - Top - End - #77

BlueWizardGirl

Rich, do you have some kind of list of which comic book stores stock your books? I'm in Victoria, BC in Canada and not planning to buy the book from Ookookdook due to shipping costs, but I'd buy it if it's at a local bookstore.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Rich, do you have some kind of list of which comic book stores stock your books? I'm in Victoria, BC in Canada and not planning to buy the book from Ookookdook due to shipping costs, but I'd buy it if it's at a local bookstore.
    I doubt Rich has any sort of access to that sort of list. As a general rule, any comic store that gets from Diamond can order it for you.

But because I like a challenge (), I did some google searching and I found out that in the past Skyhaven Games in Victoria, BC has carried Order of the Stick product. I would give them a call and inquire about it. They might not know about it yet, depending on how solicitation went, however. But, again, a general rule is: If a gaming/comic store has carried a product line in the past, they'll carry it in the future.

If you don't like Skyhaven Games for whatever reason, I'd call any stores in your town that carry D&D/RPG games. As a general rule (sense a pattern here? ), I've seen that role playing gaming stores love to carry OOTS product when they can.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-23 at 11:13 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

19. - Top - End - #79

BlueWizardGirl

Thank you! That's very helpful!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

(Also, if anyone want's last year's calendar just for the art, it's only $3.00 on clearance!)
    I'd love to grab this along with my book and new calendar order but when I did so my international shipping increased by 15 bucks, which is a little too much
    And on thaere hwíle
    Héo dréag thá losinga
    Ealra thinga the héo forléas

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Are Ookoodook going to be partnering with a UK/EU printer? Because those shipping rates are steep.

22. - Top - End - #82

OrcBarbarianGuy

Did my book and calendar pre-orders. Thanks for making my x-mas shopping easy for a couple of people this year.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm pretty close. The $15 shipping to Canada means it's basically a $50 book and that's...a little much to me. Still debating and I'll likely break in a few days and order it.

Anyway, a brief question: given the page count in this book is nearly 100 pages more than previous books, shouldn't there be a little more than 10 pages of commentary? Given the sheer amount of content to cover, I feel like more commentary would be great. There are LOTS of big moments that occur throughout the book, especially in the last 50-ish strips.

Now, I want to be clear that I'm not complaining or expecting anymore. Personally, my favourite thing about the books is the commentary. I love reading the insights behind the decisions for story moments or character develop. Whether more is added or not won't affect my inevitable decision to pre-order the book. I was just curious.
    Author of The Armadillo Mysteries.
    The City of Smoke & Mirrors and The Dame was a Tad Polish are available to buy on Amazon!
    (Yes, this is shameless self-promoting, but really, is there any OTHER type of self-promoting?)
    Blog
    Twitter

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Are Ookoodook going to be partnering with a UK/EU printer? Because those shipping rates are steep.
    No, the price of shipping is what it is at this point; they're already offering lowered shipping throughout the pre-order. It's not getting any lower than that (and indeed, will rise once the pre-order ends), so plan accordingly.

I understand that it may be expensive for certain areas, but there's not really anything I can do about it at this point except to remind everyone that the book will also be available in local comic stores.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatNickGuy View Post
    Anyway, a brief question: given the page count in this book is nearly 100 pages more than previous books, shouldn't there be a little more than 10 pages of commentary? Given the sheer amount of content to cover, I feel like more commentary would be great. There are LOTS of big moments that occur throughout the book, especially in the last 50-ish strips.

Now, I want to be clear that I'm not complaining or expecting anymore. Personally, my favourite thing about the books is the commentary. I love reading the insights behind the decisions for story moments or character develop. Whether more is added or not won't affect my inevitable decision to pre-order the book. I was just curious.
    I prioritize extra in-story content over commentary, as more fans want more comics than want to read me droning on. But at any rate, there are 10 chapters, so there are 10 pages of commentary, same as in every other book so far. Actually, there is no commentary for the first cutaway to the MITD, since that's so short—it's covered in the commentary for the second cutaway—and two pages for the final chapter, but the formula still stands.
    Rich Burlew

25. - Top - End - #85

annoyed Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Preordered, but seriously am I the only one really disappointed Rich do not provide a PDF/ePUB version of his book ?

I'm in Europe and would prefer to give more money to the author rather than waste $25 on shipping, plus likely paying custom fees, all of this for moving around dead trees instead of a bunch of electrons ...
    Last edited by slb; 2014-10-25 at 02:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slb View Post
    Preordered, but seriously am I the only one really disappointed Rich do not provide a PDF/ePUB version of his book ?

I'm in Europe and would prefer to give more money to the author rather than waste $25 on shipping, plus likely paying custom fees, all of this for moving around dead trees instead of a bunch of electrons ...
    Giant's thoughts on digital copies (courtesy of the Index).
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No, the price of shipping is what it is at this point; they're already offering lowered shipping throughout the pre-order. It's not getting any lower than that (and indeed, will rise once the pre-order ends), so plan accordingly.
    Begging your pardon, but that's not what I asked. Cafepress, who sell the OOTS tee shirts and mugs and stuff have a UK/EU partner (from whom I have purchased OOTS merchandise a number of times) and I'm wondering if Ookoodook might also have a UK/EU partner.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Not a big enough business to have an EU/UK partner, I would guess.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Begging your pardon, but that's not what I asked. Cafepress, who sell the OOTS tee shirts and mugs and stuff have a UK/EU partner (from whom I have purchased OOTS merchandise a number of times) and I'm wondering if Ookoodook might also have a UK/EU partner.
    I answered your question with the first word of my response: No.
    Rich Burlew

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well this is my own dumb fault for waiting so long to do it, but it looks like the 2014 calendar is gone now from Ookoodook. Rats. Definitely going to get the new one though, as well as the book, can't wait to see those. :D