New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Infernal Dictum IC

The gore-choked wastes of Avernus. the ground, brown, orange and red. Jagged rocks and corpses litter the wasteland from the constant battle that ensues here. Here and there are signs of civilization. Darkspine, a blackened city, once belonging to the outlands, it now resides on the top layer of Hell. The Pig and Poke is a barren tavern now run by a single woman, a Harvester Devil by the name of Jebelam. She wears flesh-like black robes though cut in all the right places to make it rather revealing.

The other patrons in the tavern are just an erinyes male and a figure in black with a hood drawn to conceal his face. Outside the windows the sky is black, rivers of blood flow past and fireballs collide with the ground at random. You are The Infernal Dictum, a law enforcement agency which down at it's core, is simply a inquisitorial mod squad used by Dispater to enforce his tyranny over all of Hell and bring down his rivals and enemies.

On Avernus you have been assigned to monitor a battle of the blood war which is raging near the Pig and Poke. The hellish forces consist mostly of Bel's armies but a few armies of both Mephistopheles and Baalzebuul are here aswell to aid the particularly vicious battle, Maladominaar and The Serpentine Order, respectively. Baalzebuul is the greatest enemy of both Mephistopheles and Dispater.

The main threat, however is the forces of the ruthless, walking engines of destruction, the Tanar'ri who will rest at nothing to rip you apart just for fun. Keep your eye out for them as much as you would your allies...
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Infernal Dictum IC

The tall, robed Man of Wrath you have come to know as Simhadrin seems to glide across the tavern floor as he moves near one of the windows of the Pig and Poke.

His head turns toward the distant horizon, his four red eyes looking off to where the forces of Chaos were clashing with the forces of the devils.

Internal Thoughts:
    How he wished for the Baatezu and Tanar'ri to just simply destroy each other. It's what they deserved, truly. But this was his life, now. His swords going to those that would pay.

The gaunt Salamandrine sighs deeply, then turns back toward his traveling companions.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2007-12-27 at 07:46 AM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

[Image removed - too large]
    Not as large as SOME.

Head Executioner for House Kato

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thixis Skelengar enters the bar. He glances at the barmaid, but quickly turns his gaze to the other patrons.

Internal Thoughts:
    An intresting looking group. Perhaps they will be useful to me. Only one way to find out.

Skelengar stands at a part of the room so as to catch everyone in the cone and manifests Read Thoughts.
    Last edited by Skelengar; 2007-12-27 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by gkathellar View Post
    Say you're a crazy person.

Not "some meds and therapy later and you're fine" crazy, not "ha! she so crazy!" crazy, you're mad scientist crazy.

So you go to science school, where you find out that science actually doesn't work like that. Partially because you live in medieval stasis where the closest thing people have to electrical energy is a bunch of guys pushing a wheelbarrow, and partially because science doesn't actually work like that.
    Thanks to Thecrimsonmage for the avatar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The glowing restless eyes of Szivar are constantly wandering about the room mistrustfully and her fingers curl up and stretch back out beneath the pair of blades strapped to the backs of her hands ready to spring forth and pierce the flesh of anyone trying take a swing at any member of the Dictum.

"It's useless just to stand around and waiting for something to happen..."

Telling this more to herself than to the rest of the group, Szivar strides elegantly over to the bar and stops near Jebelam.
    Without even bothering to kindly ask for her attention or making eye contact with the tavern keeperSzivar starts talking:

"Tell me anything you know about what has been going on here in the past days. Especially regarding Baalzebul's forces and the Tanar'ri."
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2007-12-27 at 03:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Jebelam eyes Szivar, with her sudden up-frontness. She holds her tray as she gives a drink in an obsidian glass to the cloaked figure. "Don't know much, really. I know they're here doing what all armies up here do, fighting the demons... and each other, as usual."
    An eldritch sigil appears beneath her tray and allows it to float there as she puts her hands on her hips. "But I'm just the barkeep, so do you want a drink or not?"

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

The door to the tavern opens and with much creaking and clanking Willow Grey ducks through the too short entrance. His highest branches brush the ceiling forcing him to crouch slightly as he plods into the room, slowly rotating his body back and forth (causing more creaking and clanking) as he looks about for a table large enough to seat his enormous form.
    "Things seem"*long sighing intake of breath*"quiet enough out there. I believe I shall"*long sigh*"tend to my branches for"*deep breath*"a little while."
    Settling himself down at an oversized table Willow draws forth a small rough stone, a rag, and a bottle of oil and begins smoothing and polishing his branches.
    Last edited by demihappycow; 2007-12-27 at 09:52 PM.
    I'm not wearing any pants.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Nice to see you again, Willow." Simhadrin says to the towering treant.

It'd been a few months since he had been introduced to him in the garden, but he immediately knew him.

Willow was one of those unforgettable....creatures. Once you'd met him, you never forgot him.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"You as"*breathes in*"well... little fleshling. I don't suppose these lands have yielded... any information to your"*creaking inhale*"natural expertise?"

Willow felt an odd kinship with the Salamandrian Man, born perhaps of their mutual attunement with a natural world largely absent from the plane on which they reside. Or maybe just that he could walk through the garden without damaging any of the plant life, a feat many infernal visitors seemed incapable of.

9. - Top - End - #9

"Not much, no. The armies are doing what armies do best. Fighting, killing, destroying." the Man of Wrath shakes his head. He looks out the window again, a frown creasing his face. "Maybe someday it won't have to be like this."

He half-whispers "Today is not that day, though." He turns back around.

"I do not know why The Serpentine Order is here. This does not seem the type of battle that they would prefer. This has been a grinding, stand-up fight, from what I have seen." he shrugs his shoulders.

"The Maladominaar, though...they have been very important in Lord Bel's maneuvers, it would seem. But the demons, they keep coming, and coming, and coming...as they always do."
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Skelengar laughs a cold, uncaring laugh, remaining where he is.

Yes. They'll keep coming and coming, relentlessly crusading to destroy the gods and all they hold dear. Not much different then the devils, are they. Yet they fight, when they really share a common goal. As do I. He walks over to the table and sits. "But perhaps we would be better off without them. Some certainly would. He glances at Simhadrin. "Sometimes, I agree with them.

With that, Skelengar stood up. "Bartender, a round of drinks for my associates. He turned back to the table. "Don't take it personal. It's just a formality. But what isn't in this plane? Nevertheless, I must put up with you all, for I need access to Dispater's information network for my personal projects.

Skelengar walked over to the other patrons of the bar. "Okay, let's make this quick. Who are you guys, and what do you know that might interest me? Perticularly about the nearby battle and it's participants."

Not "some meds and therapy later and you're fine" crazy, not "ha! she so crazy!" crazy, you're mad scientist crazy.

So you go to science school, where you find out that science actually doesn't work like that. Partially because you live in medieval stasis where the closest thing people have to electrical energy is a bunch of guys pushing a wheelbarrow, and partially because science doesn't actually work like that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Willow Grey continues polishing his branches, with a low hollow chuckle.

"What"*inhale*"do you... suppose it is that makes fleshlings with"*creaking breath*"those 'mind powers' so very arrogant?" Willow asks Simhadrin quietly. "Do all those... meaty bits you lot run on..."*deep sigh*"make it more difficult to be... respectful to those"*groaning inward breath*"who could destroy you... on a... whim? I mean, one never knows"*deep breath*"when a stranger might be"*long pause as he has forgotten what he was saying*"able to crush you out of hand. Which implies, to my mind, that courtesy... is the wisest course."

Finishing speaking, Willow gently lowers the root balls that serve as his feet into great metal tubs containing the mixture of blood and water that he takes in place of a drink.

More loudly he then continues "I would not be concerned about the Tanar'ri overly much."*long sigh*"In open... warfare like this they are woefully inferior to disciplined... Baatezu forces."*rattling inhale and exhale*"Only through... individual treachery... and unusual single action have they... any real chance at making"*deep creaking breath*"even small gains in open... warfare."

As he speaks Willow rubs oil deeply into the joints of his arm and hand branches, twisting and bending each afterward, maintaining proper flexibility despite the inherent stiffness and rigidity of his massive form.

12. - Top - End - #12

Simhadrin nods in agreement with Willow.

"This one would do well to know his place and lend more....respect...to those he will be traveling with."

His four red eyes turn their gaze upon the devil.

"I have seen the Weeping Wounds. I have walked in the Infernal Garden. I have served every lord. All know me by name. There are few devils I respect, and you are not one of them."

"Know that I have killed your kind since the time I could grasp a sword. I would not seek to give me any more reason to kill you than I already have...which is your very existence."

(for skelanger)
    Spoiler
    Show

If your read thoughts continues, you see an image of Asmodeus upon his throne, speaking to whom you assume to be Simhadrin. You see the Infernal Garden that is in Nessus (home to Asmodeus) and Willow tending it. You see a flash of numerous devils dying at the hands of this man.

"We will learn what we shall learn in time. I have made you aware of what I know, now how about you do the same?"
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

A telepathic message rings out in Simhadrin's head.

How dare you speak to my master like that! He could kill you right now without a second thought!

"You'll have to excuse me for a moment." Skelengar turns away from the men he was interrogating, and takes a purple crystal out of his pocket. "Don't you ever act without my consent again!" He hurls the crystal into the wall, where it falls to the floor.

Skelengar walks over to Simhadrin. "I sincerely apologize for the rudeness of my Psycrystal. It speaks the truth though. Not that I have any wish to kill you."

"As for what you said and thought, I assure you that I am not your enemy. That is all I will say in public, but if you truly want to know who I am, meet me in private. I wouldn't normally tell anyone, but we are more alike then you realize."

He walks back to the other patrons. "I apologize for the interruption. I am still waiting on answers to my questions, and I would prefer to not have to resort to less friendly methods. Answer truthfully, I will know if you lie.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

There is a creaking, tearing sound as space is torn and primordially raped as a fissure opens for just a split second and a creature is formed from it's very core out, bones, organs, muscles and skin all growing in place in an instant as a small reddish-black creature appears there with glowing embers for eyes, leathery wings, small twisted horns and a barbed stinger of a tail. It's burning red pinpricks of eyes flare as the glowing sigil of Dispater appears floating between it's wings.
    In infernal, it speaks; "I've a message..." In a burst of acrid smoke, a yellowed scroll of parchment appears in its claws. "You've got work to do..." It sets the scroll down and stand away from it as if no longer guarding it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's wait for Ellas to indicate his existence, shall we?
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-12-29 at 12:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Simhadrin walks up to the scroll and takes it off the table. He waves his hand toward the devil, as if dismissing it.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The imp scowls and with the sound of a tibia being broken and with a small blast of more acrid, black smoke, it disappears. The red, glowing sigil remains in place for a few moments before it fades.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-12-29 at 09:26 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Skelengar is still trying to interrogate the other patrons, and doesn't notice the coming and going of the messanger. "It would not be wise to continue to ignore me. I could eisily kill you both."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aren't imps demons?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Branches shaking with laughter Willow speaks, "Hah ha hoo! How foolish must our"*inhale*"posturing appear. Let us have done with it, eh little fleshling? It seems we have"*deep breath*"been sent a task."

Spoiler
    Show
    If I recall correctly, Imps are devils and Quasits are demons.
    Last edited by demihappycow; 2007-12-29 at 10:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

ooc:

Just to clarify, you're trying to talk to the hooded man and the bartender, right?
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Skelengar turns. "Well I can't just leave them unpunished, can I? That would damage my reputation. But I would rather not be brash and kill them..."

Spoiler
    Show
    i'm talking to the hooded man and the erinyes
    Last edited by Skelengar; 2007-12-29 at 10:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

The erinyes simply looks at you with menace in his eyes and continue drinking his angel's blood whiskey. The hooded figure doesn't even pay you attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry about my knowledge of the beings of the lower planes, I am something of an expert on the subject. Most especially when it comes to determining the differences between demons and devils.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Skelengar View Post
    Skelengar turns. "Well I can't just leave them unpunished, can I? That would damage my reputation. But I would rather not be brash and kill them..."

Spoiler
    Show
    i'm talking to the hooded man and the erinyes
    "I highly recommend that you leave them alone. If you tried to "punish" every person that decided not to speak to you in a 'public' place, I suspect you would find yourself very dead very quickly."

Simhadrin reads the message, and passes it off to Willow next.
    Last edited by TheMeanDM; 2007-12-30 at 12:51 AM.
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

To anyone who's read the note.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The message is written in dark red ink and in well organized and meticulously scrawled out Infernal, it reads;

The Serpentine Order is passing Darkspine. You are to congress with them as soon as each member of Infernal Dictum has joined with the whole of the group. Maladominaar will at some point join The Serpentine Order on the battlefield against the Tanar'ri on the fields of Avernus.
    The Iron Duke wishes you great defense and fortitude in the anarchic eyes of the creatures of the abyss and the silvered daggers of Maladomini that will do no more than caress your iron backs.

-Ekmot, the Iron-wrought Archivist as denoted by the great hall of Dispater

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"True." Skelengar turns back to the patrons. "Alright, you're off this time." Skelengar walks over and reads it over Willow's shoulder.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Szivar who has left the Bartender alone without any further appreciation of her rather unsatisfying answer also appears next to Willow to read the note.

Without looking up from the scroll she starts speaking: "I was wondering what role the Serpentine Order is playing in this battle. Hopefully this will help us find out more."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Ideally." Losing interest, he continues, "You know, I could have killed them easily. Just two manifestations of Psychic Crush. Possibly a third for the bartender, to eliminate witnesses..."

Skelengar reaches into his pocket for his psycrystal and looks surprised. He looks around the bar and sees his psycrystal lying on the floor where he threw it. What are you still doing there? Return to me! His psycrystal rises into the air and floats into his open hand. He returns it to his pocket.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Szivar turns to skelengar. The yellow glow in her eyes turned to a bright white. She stares directly into the devils eyes:
    "Such a pitiful behaviour. How can one waste such an amount of attention to something so trivial and temporary as a reputation? There are better things to worry about. Such as your very existence. Would you really want to risk your life upon a fruitless attempt to destroy the Salamandrin and the Treant? You stand little chance against them alone. Worse for you, you're standing against them and me. You wouldn't have the time to manifest any of your powers before i buried my blades in your flesh."
    She turns her head to the next window.
    "Besides you would be much more use for us as a member of the Dictum, than as a short training unit.
    And it might be of use for you too. As a mercenary or as a member the service for Dispater is not without profit for the servant."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Is my existence that valuable, surrounded by the madness that is hell? There is one thing that drives me on. But I won't bore you with my life story. And for the record, I had no intentions of harming any of you."

Skelengar sits down at an empty table, facing away from the rest of the group. He removes his hood, and you see the back of his horribly scarred head. As he looks at his reflection in his drink, he sighs. He looks back to the group, and you see his face, scarred and disfigured by some great force. "Do not pretend you know anything about me." He turns back, and casts Darkness around his table.
    Last edited by Skelengar; 2007-12-31 at 11:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

The glow in Szivar's eyes fades back to a warm yellow.
    "Well then I apologize. I misunderstood your motives.
    I don't know you. And I'm not trying to pretend.
    Yet what value has reputation in a world in which not even your own existence is of value?"

Her eyes return to their restless state of alertness and start wondering back and fourth in the room again.
    "Though it is the individual who decides what existence is worth, not the world around them. It is upon you to make your existence a valuable thing. And I can offer you a way. It will be hard work but that it has always been on every plane of existence. It will pay off for us as well as for you. What do you say?"
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2007-12-31 at 11:17 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Simhandrin shakes his head once again.

Next time, I will request to pick my team mates. he thinks to himself, watching the dysfunctional, arrogant telepath cloak himself in darkness. The fool will either get himself killed, or get us all killed.

"So tell us, Szivar, what special talents can you lend to the mission?"
    Who is TheMeanDM?

Not as large as SOME.