Level Sorcerer/Wizard 4
    Casting Time 1 standard action
    Components V, S
    Range Touch
    Target One touched object of up to 2 cu. ft./level
    Duration One day/level; see text
    Saving Throw Will negates (object)
    Spell Resistance Yes (object)
    You are able to grow one nonmagical item (if it is within the size limit) to 16 times of its normal size in each dimension (to about 4,000 the original volume and mass). This change effectively increases the object’s size by four categories. Objects changed by a Grow Item spell can be returned to normal size by being attacked using an adamantine weapon or through a command word from the original caster. Even a burning fire and its fuel can be expanded by this spell. Restoring the object to its normal size ends the spell.

Grow item can be made permanent with a permanency spell, in which case the affected object can be expanded and shrunk an indefinite number of times as a standard action, but only by the original caster.

Grow Item counters and dispels Shrink Item. And yes this is a ripoff of Shrink Item
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-06-22 at 09:22 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Grow Item [3.5e Spell]

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Level Sorcerer/Wizard 6
    This level seems a little high; I wouldn't consider it more than twice as powerful as shrink item, so peg it at 4.

Objects changed by a Grow Item spell can be returned to normal size by tossing them onto any solid surface or by a word of command from the original caster.
    While I understand the reason for including "tossing onto a solid surface", it seems unlikely that, say, a Colossal chunk of stone is going to be tossed very well. Maybe change it to have some kind of "hit it with a piece of X" for the mundane restoration?

Grow item can be made permanent with a permanency spell, in which case the affected object can be expanded an indefinite number of times, but only by the original caster.
    I think you mean "expanded and shrunk"; otherwise it sounds like you can just keep growing it as large as you like.

Otherwise, this looks like a solid spell, filling an oddly empty niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fixed those things. Except I couldn't think of a material to hit the grown object against to return it to normal size.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Fixed those things. Except I couldn't think of a material to hit the grown object against to return it to normal size.
    At this level? Adamintine might be acceptable.

Also, this is perhaps even more susceptible to the abuses that Shrink Item has where you turn items back to full size in mid-air or on something that can't support them, thus dropping large items on monster's heads. There may be other abuses.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    At this level? Adamintine might be acceptable.
    Done

As for the abuse, you can't cast Shrink Object and Grow Item on the same thing because they dispel each other. In addition it takes a standard action to change its size if permanent.

That should lower some abuse.
    Show