New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Australian Meetup, 8-9th Dec, Sydney NSW

Aw. Thanks Pants ^_^

While we're at it, I suppose I may as well ask this here: anyone up Queensland way going to have, or know someone who's going to have, a spare room next year in or around Brisbane? I don't smoke, happy to drink or to not drink, can supply a fair bit of furniture and cooking stuff and the like, can cook, and am willing to pay up to about $150/week (preferably less, *maybe* more if Brisbane's really expensive). The catches: I have a cat (older, inside at night, scared of a bird), and to start with I'll probably just be on Centrelink.

edit: oh. I thought this was the Australasia thread... Whoops. I'll go put this over there too.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-11-06 at 02:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Pants_Guy View Post
    Awwwww.... I might not be able to come (which is made especially worse if it seems that Serps is going to show).
    Nooooo. I am disappoint.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #63

So, it's time to really get serious and make some concrete (and flexible) plans.

As I said in the Australasia thread, it is likely that we will have 1 to 2 official days designated as the meetup days (but people are welcome to extend that) and the day or days are likely to be the weekend, Sat 8/Sun 9, Dec. If no one volunteers a bed for the night, I may be there only for the 1 day.

Also from the other thread, I would like very much to confirm a primary day where everybody tries to be there, even for a little bit, with the extra days for those wanting to make the most of the trip. So, please also express which of the two days is best for you, and if you can or can't make the other day.

Then we need to start planning where we're going to meet, where we're going to be, and what we're going to do.

I've also compiled a list of who's going, which I will keep updated in the first post. Primary day in square brackets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty much definite:
    Rawhide [either or both days, depending on bed availability]
    Serpentine (if she knows what's good for her)
    loopy
    Roc Ness

Maybe:
    Black Pants Guy
    Elm11
    Red Rubber Band [Sunday only and maybe Saturday evening]
    Katana_Geldar (has a gaming event to attend, but I'd very much like to include everyone if possible - perhaps we can visit for an hour or so?)
    Klose_the_Sith

Unlikely:
    Agamid
    Dispozition
    Death, your friend the Reaper

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, now that the time draws closer, i would say almost definitely that I'm not going to be able to make it... I have too many things that may be about to need a lot of my time, and I have very little money for travel.

Will have to see you all next time.
    "If I were going to die I would have by now."
    - Grytt

If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: "Hello. Can't work today, still queer." - Robin Tyler

5. - Top - End - #65

Apparently I don't have much choice... But yeah, I reckon I'll be there. Not sure shere I'll be staying... Don't wanna look around for a cheap room to split, do you, Rawhide?

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

Apparently I don't have much choice... But yeah, I reckon I'll be there. Not sure shere I'll be staying... Don't wanna look around for a cheap room to split, do you, Rawhide?
    You're still trying to get me alone in a room? First it was a cabin in the woods and now a cheap hotel?

7. - Top - End - #67

I was hoping others would "share" the "cabin in the woods" with us...

(P.S. I'm really annoyed I missed that movie in the cinema )

8. - Top - End - #68

I was hoping others would "share" the "cabin in the woods" with us...
    Sorry, not into that kind of thing.

---

But yeah, unless it's incredibly cheap, I might pass. Sydney is already a very long way away from where I am and I'd like to keep costs down.

9. - Top - End - #69

Alright, if this meetup is expected to happen, there needs to be some very serious planning done very quickly. At the moment the complete extent of our planning seems to be 'Sydney, 8th-9th (probably), in a place, where we'll do something'. That being a less than thorough plan, it might be a good idea to propose/consider:

When on the 8th and 9th?

Where in Sydney?

What accomodation?

What will we do?

Not being a Sydneysider or familiar with meetups, I really can't suggest much for the first two of those.

As far as accomodation goes, unless there're places available I'd probably look at a youth Hostel for myself, and arrange public transport (however-much exists) to and from the venue.

As far as activities go, I'd presume we'd look at board/videogames of various sorts, possibly a lunch or something. I don't know. Those of you over 18 may also care to arrange a pub night or something, but that's not my department.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: If any of the Sydneysiders are uni students, a possible venue may be a room at that uni, if it can be booked over the weekend. If nobody else has any suggestions, could that be looked into?
    Last edited by Elm11; 2012-11-29 at 10:55 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Shades Of Gray!

I really need to find some new quotes to put here.

10. - Top - End - #70

I was just about to come in here and yell at everyone. It would seem that we Australians couldn't organise ourselves out of a paper bag...

I have no knowledge of Sydney, including where to meet or what to do, so I'm relying heavily on someone to suggest something! Yes, that means you, person reading this!

Also, everyone needs to confirm their availability ASAP.

11. - Top - End - #71

Rawhide, is there any chance you might be passing through Brissy on your way to or from? And anyone up Qld way intending to go, how are you getting there and back?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Dang. First trip to the southern hemisphere, over the weekend of the Australian meetup and I'm on the wrong island.

13. - Top - End - #73

Rawhide, is there any chance you might be passing through Brissy on your way to or from? And anyone up Qld way intending to go, how are you getting there and back?
    No, sorry. And I'll be flying most of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Dang. First trip to the southern hemisphere, over the weekend of the Australian meetup and I'm on the wrong island.
    !

Where are you going and why?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Auckland, because hobbits. I knooooow, it's a grievous offense to suggest I'm even CLOSE to Australia when I'm in NZ. That's like saying the States is the same as Canada (which it is.) But you know, when you're from the opposite side of the world, and you visit Canada, and you learn that there's a great party going on in Pittsburgh, you still want to randomly show up there.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Auckland, because hobbits. I knooooow, it's a grievous offense to suggest I'm even CLOSE to Australia when I'm in NZ. That's like saying the States is the same as Canada (which it is.) But you know, when you're from the opposite side of the world, and you visit Canada, and you learn that there's a great party going on in Pittsburgh, you still want to randomly show up there.
    So... why don't you? Do both, it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away.

16. - Top - End - #76

I'm so, so sorry, Rawhide. I've come to the conclusion that I really need to save up my moneys for the bond, getting all my stuff up to me, buying some sort of transport, and paying my dad back for getting me back into the country. I'm really sorry

17. - Top - End - #77

I'm so, so sorry, Rawhide. I've come to the conclusion that I really need to save up my moneys for the bond, getting all my stuff up to me, buying some sort of transport, and paying my dad back for getting me back into the country. I'm really sorry
    That's very unfortunate. I guess I'll have to move you to the "Unlikely" pile.

Oh well, still want to make the most of this! C'mon everyone! We're counting on you to confirm your attendance!

If no one else suggests anything, I think we should meet at Central (Sydney) station and go from there. Everyone should have a day pass for public transport so we can go wherever we want.

18. - Top - End - #78

Sounds intelligent enough for me. If I were looking at driving into central Sydney (a cheaper, if more suicidal alternative to flying in), would there be anywhere even vaguely practical to leave the car? If not, flying may indeed be the best option.

Next question: Should we each try and arrange our own accommodation? I'm not seeing anyone jumping with suggestions, so I suppose I'll snoop around for a youth hostel somewhere nearby.

19. - Top - End - #79

Does anyone have a direct line to loopy? He said he would need a reminder.

Also, re accommodation, that sounds like a good idea.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

I should be able to make Saturday, though I've no idea what we'll do. I'm broke at the moment, so I won't be able to do anything too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

21. - Top - End - #81

Thanks for the reminder, Rawhide!
    I haven't been to the forums in a while. And kept forgetting to check this thread when I was here.

So, good news and bad news from me.

Good news: I will be in Sydney this weekend!
    Bad news: For reasons other than the meetup.
    (Partially) Good news: I might be able to swing a couple of hours sometime during Saturday afternoon. *fingers crossed*
    (Possibly) Bad news: Depending on the time I can spare, I'll be stuck around the Circular Quay area (that being said, public transport).

I will PM my number to Rawhide, if that's ok with him. So will be able to communicate once I'm in Sydney. Also currently have sporadic access to the net :l

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

You guys could go to Macquarie Con.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Confirming my non-attendance. No money to spare.

24. - Top - End - #84

Alright, given the lack of availability/interest, combined with the lack of any solid plan whatsoever, Zoot and I will be pulling out. If we want to reorganize it for next weekend, pm me or something. Otherwise, all the best.

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by Elm11 View Post
    Alright, given the lack of availability/interest, combined with the lack of any solid plan whatsoever, Zoot and I will be pulling out. If we want to reorganize it for next weekend, pm me or something. Otherwise, all the best.
    Unfortunate, though there is a plan. Meet at Central (Sydney) Station.

I will be there that weekend, I won't the next. So for me, it is that weekend or bust. Given that both loopy and Red Rubber Band indicated Saturday, I suggest we all go for that as the primary day. I won't be available in the evening though, as I'll need to get back pretty early.

What time is everyong going to rock up?

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    You guys could go to Macquarie Con.
    Well, given that the website advertises it as nothing more than a few tables you can hire to run a game, I figure that we might want to do a little more than that.

That said, the intention was to swing by to meet you, when will you be free?

26. - Top - End - #86

*pokes everyone who has confirmed availability recently*

Looks like Saturday afternoon is the best time, with both loopy and Red Rubber Band confirming potential availability. How about we make it that and try to find a way to include KG at or near the con?

27. - Top - End - #87

Well, my hotel is near (enough) to Central. So it's not the place that's a problem.
    This'll be the last time I will reliably have access to a computer, unfortunately.
    I will send my number to Rawhide now, so any of you that meet up are more than welcome to give me a holler if you wish. Else I will endeavor to find my password for this site (auto login... a blessing and a curse) and/or for the email address attached to it (I just have to make it all complicated).

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry I haven't been around, school's been a bit busy recently.

I can make the main day on Sat. I can do any time of the day except really early, and I can't hang around during the evening (so afternoon seems good).

I live around the western suburbs but I don't tend to do much in the city so I don't really know about events or activities though. =/ Most I've ever really done is visit the art galleries, or maybe watch a movie or something. Usually I just sit around and draw buildings, or hang around with friends while doing absolutely nothing (which makes me wonder why we have to go to the city to do that).

If we want to visit/hang out at Macquarie Con, there's a direct train to Macquarie station from Central every half-hour, the trip itself would take around 40 minutes factoring in walking distance/finding the exact location of the Con. If we're there we could also pop down to Macquarie Centre (short walk) to watch a movie or something? There's also an ice-skating rink in the centre although I don't really know much about Macquaire myself.

But yeah, once an exact time is set I'll see you guys at Central!

P.S. Also I may be doing maths/english homework if we're ever sitting down and nothing is happening. And if I'm not doing that work, someone should probably prod me into doing it.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Roc Ness View Post
    Sorry I haven't been around, school's been a bit busy recently.

I can make the main day on Sat. I can do any time of the day except really early, and I can't hang around during the evening (so afternoon seems good).

I live around the western suburbs but I don't tend to do much in the city so I don't really know about events or activities though. =/ Most I've ever really done is visit the art galleries, or maybe watch a movie or something. Usually I just sit around and draw buildings, or hang around with friends while doing absolutely nothing (which makes me wonder why we have to go to the city to do that).

If we want to visit/hang out at Macquarie Con, there's a direct train to Macquarie station from Central every half-hour, the trip itself would take around 40 minutes factoring in walking distance/finding the exact location of the Con. If we're there we could also pop down to Macquarie Centre (short walk) to watch a movie or something? There's also an ice-skating rink in the centre although I don't really know much about Macquaire myself.

But yeah, once an exact time is set I'll see you guys at Central!

P.S. Also I may be doing maths/english homework if we're ever sitting down and nothing is happening. And if I'm not doing that work, someone should probably prod me into doing it.
    How early can you get there (and want to)? I'm happy to start earlier than the afternoon with just the early comer(s).

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    How early can you get there (and want to)? I'm happy to start earlier than the afternoon with just the early comer(s).
    I can get there whenever, although I'd like to get there a little later seeing as I've had all of three hours sleep the past two days. XD

I'm should be good for 10-11-ish, although I'm not sure how many early comers we are and what we could do.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.