1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

Quote Originally Posted by Insanealien View Post
    I'm usually on around midday GMT.

Gitp Name: Insanealien
    Platform: PC
    Gamertag: Kalehn
    Favourite characters: Turian Soldier, N7 Paladin, Shadow and Demolisher.
    First Post updated.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

2. - Top - End - #212
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, that wasn't hard. Squad goal completed twice.

First game was all Asari, Gold Ghost. Two adepts (I was one), a Justicar and a Vanguard. I was reminded very keenly of Benezia's quote "have you ever faced an Asari Commando unit before?" Clearly Cerberus hadn't, because we tore through them like tissue. I almost felt sorry for the Illusive Man; Phantoms have to be expensive to make.

Then a little later was all-Krogan(!!!), Gold, . Two battlemasters, a sentinel, and my soldier. This one was Geth on Vancouver. I was reminded, quite forcibly, how freaking tough Krogan are; It takes 3 rockets to drop my shields instead of one, and 6 prime bolts. (Hunters however are still far too lethal. I was amazed at how easily they cut through my defenses when every other unit may as well have been flicking rubber bands.) The stunlock potential geth have is a big problem though. But we made it, full extraction.
    Asari never seem to work for me. Perhaps it's the lack of cohesion? Having four Asari means that at any point in time, an enemy is hit by 3 stasis bubbles >.<

Krogan though... Man. Especially since every Krogan has a shield power, almost doubling the capability of any shield boost they have. Plus rage. Although yes that damn chain stun is a pain in the hump.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I've never really liked playing the Asari Justicar, but the Vanguard is alright, I guess. I have all the Krogan, both Turians, Asari Justicar and Vanguard, both female Quarians, both Salarians and the Turian Sentinel for the purposes of this event.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    First Post updated.
    If you could do the same for me, I don't use my Turian Sentinel too often anymore. I prefer to use my Quarian Infiltrator and Human Vanguard.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Updated for you.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Would anyone be up for a coordinated same species game in the near future? Bear in mind that I live in Poland so I'm a few hours ahead of most people here.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Would anyone be up for a coordinated same species game in the near future? Bear in mind that I live in Poland so I'm a few hours ahead of most people here.
    Possibly. I'm in Midwest US and just specced up an asari Justicar. I'm pretty much available the rest of the day. Are you on PC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Possibly. I'm in Midwest US and just specced up an asari Justicar. I'm pretty much available the rest of the day. Are you on PC?
    I'm on PC, yes.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm on PC, yes.
    Yeah, just friend & invite me anytime(same tag as my gitp handle). Do you have an asari you could use?

EDIT: I also have a couple krogan, but they're not specced like my asari is. Also, they're kinda underleveled (IIRC my Krogan battlemaster's lv. 4, for example)
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-09-23 at 02:48 PM.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

I have an Asari Vanguard. I can use her. Do you think we could handle a Bronze match between the two of us? Friend invite sent, BTW.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-23 at 03:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have an Asari Vanguard. I can use her. Do you think we could handle a Bronze match between the two of us? Friend invite sent, BTW.
    Dammit I forgot to turn Origin on. Lemme accept.

EDIT: Done. Do you want to Invite, or shall I? I think Bronze would work nicely for the purposes of fulfilling the goal.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-09-23 at 06:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, I just did a game with a quarian male infiltrator, two quarian infiltrators, and one quarian engineer. Did we need full extraction for the squad goal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Well, I just did a game with a quarian male infiltrator, two quarian infiltrators, and one quarian engineer. Did we need full extraction for the squad goal?
    I think just "extraction", but the more the better in any event.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, a dev confirmed it needed to be a full extraction.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Actually, a dev confirmed it needed to be a full extraction.
    Well, it would be nice if we knew that before the event ended.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Is the event over? It's been a while and I've forgotten how long they last, exactly.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is the event over? It's been a while and I've forgotten how long they last, exactly.
    Ended about 4 in the morning (US Central time), IIRC.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like I'm a couple hours late, then. Oh well.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

It took me five tries, but I just got my team through the suicide mission without losses. I ended up replaying my soldier, and went the game without recruiting Samara, while in direct contrast to the "mixed paths reduce dialouge options", was able to intimidate Miranda and Jack, adn charm Tali and Legion. And finally, it all came together. YEAAAAAAH!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Asari never seem to work for me. Perhaps it's the lack of cohesion? Having four Asari means that at any point in time, an enemy is hit by 3 stasis bubbles >.<
    It worked for us somehow. Nobody said a word, yet we somehow managed to repeatedly tie up three Phantoms at a time, which the Justicar and Vanguard would then rip through with their Harriers. And thanks to the Justicar's Reave the Adepts never had to worry about alternating Warp/Throw properly, both of us could just spam Warp.

Krogan though... Man. Especially since every Krogan has a shield power, almost doubling the capability of any shield boost they have. Plus rage. Although yes that damn chain stun is a pain in the hump.
    I love rage, but it's very hard to trigger it in Gold. Melee range with Geth is stunlock city, Reapers are armored (and suicide to go near, for most) and Cerberus is loaded either with instakill units, or units that are hard to melee. (Guardians block it, Nemeses are slippery, and I never go near Engineers until I'm certain there's no turret around.)

Krogan should really have stagger resistance on par with the N7 Destroyer bad enough that we're so fat, slow and easy to sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

After respecializing my Krogan Soldier to ignore Carnage and max everything else, I still didn't do very well. I think part of it is because I used the Claymore, though. Try as I might, I can't get this thing to work. I'll pick another shotgun, although I'm not sure which one yet. Inferno Grenade is pretty amazing at making things dead, though.

22. - Top - End - #232

After respecializing my Krogan Soldier to ignore Carnage and max everything else, I still didn't do very well. I think part of it is because I used the Claymore, though. Try as I might, I can't get this thing to work. I'll pick another shotgun, although I'm not sure which one yet. Inferno Grenade is pretty amazing at making things dead, though.
    I find a great shotgun for Krogan is the Reegar Carbine. It's weight is obviously irrelevant, and your durability means you can just stand there soaking fire (even on Gold) as you melt everything in a nice cone in front of you. Also, when you break through enemy shields (which you will do extremely quickly), this forces the enemy to flinch - getting you even more free hits (or a quick reload) without taking any return fire.

If you're not meleeing regularly though (and on Gold, you probably shouldn't be), go with the Sentinel over the Soldier. Fortification gives a melee damage boost, but provides less DR than tech armor. Their Lift Grenades also hit much harder than Infernos thanks to Tech Armor's power damage boost, and can even set up or cause biotic explosions for truly massive damage on heavy targets. Lift is also a single powerful grenade rather than a cluster, so you don't have to worry as much about hitting an enemy with the whole spread to get full damage.

My Sentinel's current loadout is the Cerberus Harrier and the Reegar Carbine, both modded for damage and armor-pen (though I'm uncertain if the latter applies to the Carbine - I'll have to test it.) For gear I go with the strongest shield boost I have (currently Juggernaut III I believe), then I play him as though he were a soldier. It's pretty amusing being able to run out of cover and revive people with two Pyros on me. ("Stop whining!")
    Last edited by Psyren; 2012-09-24 at 12:33 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

I don't play on Gold - it's too stupidly difficult for me to bother - so meleeing is still an option, and my Krogan do it. However, since my Sentinel is melee-focused, I wanted my Soldier to use different tactics. I'm not too hot on the Reegar Carbine, though. It's effective, but I don't like using it. My Krogan Sentinel has been using the N7 Crusader until now, but I'm not sure if it'll work as well for the Soldier.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-24 at 12:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Well, another good option is of course the Piranha, or the GPS for a long-range shotgun. You could also go for a very heavy sidearm instead, like the Paladin or an Arc Pistol.

I used to feel the way you do about Gold, but now that I have better guns and capacity upgrades to all my consumables it's not so bad. Even as a weaker class, I'm still an extra 5 rockets to save the team from a hairy situation on a money round. And the rewards are definitely worth it - even if I burn all 6 medigels and ops packs getting through a match, I make enough off it to buy 10-15 more of each. Stronger classes (All the N7s are powerful on gold), better guns and of course the Gear slot all make it much more manageable.

Try an N7 class in gold, you might get a taste for it I recommend the Demolisher, and pick a nice sniper nest like the landing pad on Hydra, the top area in London, or the base in Dagger. Or try the Shadow, and focus on picking off problem-humanoids (e.g. Rocket Troopers, Phantoms and Marauders) while your teammates take out the larger threats.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe one day, I will. Right now, I only have one N7 class and none of the new guns, meaning that I'm a bit behind the power creep. Besides, after a few months' break, I don't play as well as I used to.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Apparently there's a good reason for why I can't hit anything with the Crusader: according to new tests it fires with perfect accuracy - but at the place your crosshairs were pointed 0.2 seconds ago. Which raises the question: bug or really stupid feature?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Apparently there's a good reason for why I can't hit anything with the Crusader: according to new tests it fires with perfect accuracy - but at the place your crosshairs were pointed 0.2 seconds ago. Which raises the question: bug or really stupid feature?
    I really hope it's a bug.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

It worked for us somehow. Nobody said a word, yet we somehow managed to repeatedly tie up three Phantoms at a time, which the Justicar and Vanguard would then rip through with their Harriers. And thanks to the Justicar's Reave the Adepts never had to worry about alternating Warp/Throw properly, both of us could just spam Warp.
    Yeah. Whereas I have told people "Hey [gamertag], I am the Fury. You use only warp an I will use throw so we kill this atlas faster" to which the response is "oh, okay *warp throw warp throw throw throw throw* huh, my throw isn't blowing anything up is this a glitch?"
    I don't even bother trying to coordinate with other biotics anymore. It only ends in tears.

I love rage, but it's very hard to trigger it in Gold. Melee range with Geth is stunlock city, Reapers are armored (and suicide to go near, for most) and Cerberus is loaded either with instakill units, or units that are hard to melee. (Guardians block it, Nemeses are slippery, and I never go near Engineers until I'm certain there's no turret around.)

Krogan should really have stagger resistance on par with the N7 Destroyer bad enough that we're so fat, slow and easy to sync.
    Theoretically, the Battlemaster does not benefit from any of the increases during rage, unlike every other Krogan. I haven't tested it yet though.

Krogan melee on gold is entirely possible with the Battlemaster, less so with the sentinel, on gold. A solid shot from a gun to stagger, and keeping an eye on enemy locations helps. And be ready to detonate your tech armor! It's a he'll of a surprise when that phantom slips around you, your camera pans, and then she stumbles backward into melee range.
    My most recent run of the Battlemaster is 6/6/6/3/5 for maximum defense and shield regeneration, Revenant with Ammo and AP mod, and piranha with bayonet and Extended Barrel. 40% faster shield regen, a long-firing assault rifle with 40% DR and Krogan durability, and a shotgun that's as strong per blast as your heavy melee for when you need to charge and destroy a target. And melee ing things on gold is fine, if you've got the tracking down. I've found more luck with nemesis using a headbutt as a stun before destroying them. Guardian, well, that's why the AP mod on Revenant. Those dudes suck.

I don't play on Gold - it's too stupidly difficult for me to bother - so meleeing is still an option, and my Krogan do it. However, since my Sentinel is melee-focused, I wanted my Soldier to use different tactics. I'm not too hot on the Reegar Carbine, though. It's effective, but I don't like using it. My Krogan Sentinel has been using the N7 Crusader until now, but I'm not sure if it'll work as well for the Soldier.
    Gold gets progressively easier when you get better weapons. Even a single top tier gun can make the difference; a Phaeston, a GPSMG or Hornet, a Carnifex, a Piranha, Reegar or Claymore, and a Widow, Mantis or even Viper at rank X I all you need. The rest is timing and angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    really? I've found that to be the opposite; there is adelay between pulling te trigger and the bullet launching. The gun will kick, but the proejectile won't necessarily leave the chamber when expected.
    Still, it's a gun you should be leading with.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Switching from Claymore to Scimitar seemed to work pretty well for my Krogan Soldier. It's a lot easier to use. I started out pretty well in a Silver match, but ended up last. I did have two N7 classes in the team though, so it's no surprise. I guess the vanilla classes just can't compete with the N7 ones (a Human Engineer on the team wasn't doing that well either).

30. - Top - End - #240

Theoretically, the Battlemaster does not benefit from any of the increases during rage, unlike every other Krogan. I haven't tested it yet though.
    I can confirm the melee boost at least works, as I do more damage during Rage than out of it. Dunno about the DR - I soak so much fire already that it's tough to tell whether I'm simply soaking less or there aren't as many enemies around. I may need a Banshee bolt to test it.

Krogan melee on gold is entirely possible with the Battlemaster, less so with the sentinel, on gold. A solid shot from a gun to stagger, and keeping an eye on enemy locations helps. And be ready to detonate your tech armor! It's a he'll of a surprise when that phantom slips around you, your camera pans, and then she stumbles backward into melee range.
    ...Detonate the armor to interrupt a Phantom? I'd have never thought of that... I'll have to try it. It's not like I have anything to lose at that point.

My most recent run of the Battlemaster is 6/6/6/3/5 for maximum defense and shield regeneration, Revenant with Ammo and AP mod, and piranha with bayonet and Extended Barrel. 40% faster shield regen, a long-firing assault rifle with 40% DR and Krogan durability, and a shotgun that's as strong per blast as your heavy melee for when you need to charge and destroy a target. And melee ing things on gold is fine, if you've got the tracking down. I've found more luck with nemesis using a headbutt as a stun before destroying them. Guardian, well, that's why the AP mod on Revenant. Those dudes suck.
    I went 6/0/6/6/6, skipping Carnage. I actually have 200% cooldown (more on this later) so I could probably use it but I think the weapon damage and cooldown stuff are better for my playstyle; I find myself only rarely using Carnage/Concussive on classes that have them.

His loadout is a Disciple V and Acolyte VII. I have an elaborate backstory where he's dating an Asari Matriarch who lent him her old commando weapons for the war. Both guns are modded for melee so I'm not caught with my pants down, and the Acolyte works great since I can stand out in the open to charge it without getting instantly shredded like some of my other classes would be.

Gold gets progressively easier when you get better weapons. Even a single top tier gun can make the difference; a Phaeston, a GPSMG or Hornet, a Carnifex, a Piranha, Reegar or Claymore, and a Widow, Mantis or even Viper at rank X I all you need. The rest is timing and angles.
    In addition to this, consumable capacity is very handy; When all 4 members have 5 rockets/medigels, you've got a lot more room for error. But if you're undergeared and need money, FBW Geth farming is a great entry to Gold; just use a class that can contribute like the Human Adept, Salarian Engineer, any Infiltrator (specced for duration) or the N7 Slayer and you'll at least feel like you're helping. (The Adept and two N7s above can shoot their powers through walls, helping you avoid trouble, while the Engineer can hold the door and Infiltrators can run out to grab targets on Disable missions.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy