New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "What did you just say?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    If you get errors on an Etch-a-Sketch, you are a programming GOD.
    Or the PHB. (Pointy haired boss) I think he got errors on an Etch-a-Sketch once. Might have just thought it was a laptop.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

ALL code has bugs. It's that simple. It's one of the laws of code. You find and remove the ones you can, and hope the ones you don't know about, and therefore cannot even fathom what they might look like, stay dormant, never to be summoned.

End-users are VERY good at summoning them. That's why you get testers... They're a lot like end-users.

Rarely, usually during or after a period of crunch-time, I'll have trouble remembering the English for something, but know exactly how to say what I mean in C++. Usually, I just say "Uhh..." for a second and remember, but one time I was talking to other coders, so I figured "what the heck, I'll say it in code. They understand code."

They did not miss a beat, but the artist listening in turned to face us, and said "What?!", as if I had suddenly gone retarded. One of my friends I was talking to mentioned that he hadn't even realized I had slipped from English into C++. (We were all in crunch time together.)

I totally forget what I was talking about at the time.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-05-21 at 03:28 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    ALL code has bugs. It's that simple. It's one of the laws of code. You find and remove the ones you can, and hope the ones you don't know about, and therefore cannot even fathom what they might look like, stay dormant, never to be summoned.

End-users are VERY good at summoning them. That's why you get testers... They're a lot like end-users.

Rarely, usually during or after a period of crunch-time, I'll have trouble remembering the English for something, but know exactly how to say what I mean in C++. Usually, I just say "Uhh..." for a second and remember, but one time I was talking to other coders, so I figured "what the heck, I'll say it in code. They understand code."

They did not miss a beat, but the artist listening in turned to face us, and said "What?!", as if I had suddenly gone retarded. One of my friends I was talking to mentioned that he hadn't even realized I had slipped from English into C++. (We were all in crunch time together.)

I totally forget what I was talking about at the time.
    "The key error in making something completely foolproof is underestimating the ingenuity of complete fools."

No matter what you do to perfect anything, there will always be that one idiot who goes and tears down your system because they find a fatal error and exploits it. That's why game makers beta test. That's why I have my brother who is a future lawyer look over any system I make to exploit the flaws. That's why Darwin's theory makes sense, because there is always a way to cheat and go around. (Please avoid turning this into an evolution discussion thread. Although i believe the theory, I understand that many of you don't. Calm down, it was just an example.)
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    "The key error in making something completely foolproof is underestimating the ingenuity of complete fools."

No matter what you do to perfect anything, there will always be that one idiot who goes and tears down your system because they find a fatal error and exploits it. That's why game makers beta test. That's why I have my brother who is a future lawyer look over any system I make to exploit the flaws. That's why Darwin's theory makes sense, because there is always a way to cheat and go around. (Please avoid turning this into an evolution discussion thread. Although i believe the theory, I understand that many of you don't. Calm down, it was just an example.)
    (Okay. I like writing in red too.

Also, capitalize your I's if you use it to denote a first-person pronoun.
    )

Anyhoo, yeah, it'd be impossible to make anything foolproof.

Hm, can't think of anything stupid that someone's said right now.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-05-22 at 11:21 PM.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    (Okay. I like writing in red too.

Also, capitalize your I's if you use it to denote a first-person pronoun.
    )

Anyhoo, yeah, it'd be impossible to make anything foolproof.

Hm, can't think of anything stupid that someone's said right now.
    What's wrong with me coloring stuff? Embrace the COLOR!!!
    It's a problem with my keybord. Sometimes it capatalizes "i" sometimes it doesn't. I'll work on it.

Person 1: You know, there are a lot of creatures on this planet that work together in order to benifit the both of them. They exsist in a symbiotic relationship.

Person 2: Oh, cool! Like a computer?
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2010-05-22 at 11:32 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a problem with my keybord. Sometimes it capatalizes "i" sometimes it doesn't. I'll work on it.

Person 1: You know, there are a lot of creatures on this planet that work together in order to benifit the both of them. They exsist in a symbiotic relationship.

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

*Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Colossus in the Playground

One my of pet peeves: wrong use of the word "symbiotic". Why does everyone do that all the time?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    One my of pet peeves: wrong use of the word "symbiotic". Why does everyone do that all the time?
    That is a form of symbiotic relationship, of course. Specifically, mutualist symbiosis. It is correct, just incomplete.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

10. - Top - End - #310

Nnno... Symbiosis is a specific... Actually, Wiki finds that the definition is in flux. I would've said it's obligate mutualism, but apparently it can refer to all close relationships between species, or as a synonym for mutualism.

11. - Top - End - #311

It's what we were told.
    Sym: together, bio: life. Or close enough, anyway, for someone not speaking greek. So all interactions between living organisms are symbiosis.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #312
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Actually, Wiki finds that the definition is in flux.
    Which wiki?
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

13. - Top - End - #313

The Wiki for symbiosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    ...commonly describes close and often long-term interactions between different biological species. ..."the living together of unlike organisms." The definition of symbiosis is in flux, and the term has been applied to a wide range of biological interactions. The symbiotic relationship may be categorized as mutualistic, commensal, or parasitic in nature. Others define it more narrowly, as only those persistent relationships from which both organisms benefit, in which case it would be synonymous with mutualism... Symbiotic relationships include those associations in which one organism lives on another (ectosymbiosis, such as mistletoe), or where one partner lives inside the other (endosymbiosis, such as lactobacilli and other bacteria in humans or zooxanthelles in corals). Symbiotic relationships may be either obligate, i.e., necessary for the survival of at least one of the organisms involved, or facultative, where the relationship is beneficial but not essential for survival of the organisms.
    Like I said, I would use it to refer to obligate mutualist or maybe commensal relationships.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I can't find a good video or anything, but there was a contestant on "who wants to be a millionaire", and they used a 50/50. The question was, "which is the biggest." She got it down to an elephant or the moon - and picked an elephant.
    Sorry for incoherency, for whatever reason my head isn't working perfectly right now... I think my brain has a leak.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

What's wrong with me coloring stuff? Embrace the COLOR!!!
    My eyes, it burns!

(Incidentally, I think there's a rule against using Red text in your posts, because it's the color appropriated by the Mods when they edit posts for infractions or warnings. Other colors are fine though.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Magnema View Post
    I can't find a good video or anything, but there was a contestant on "who wants to be a millionaire", and they used a 50/50. The question was, "which is the biggest." She got it down to an elephant or the moon - and picked an elephant.
    Sorry for incoherency, for whatever reason my head isn't working perfectly right now... I think my brain has a leak.
    Photoshopped.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Liffguard View Post
    Photoshopped.
    Augh! Noooo! This can't be happening to me!

...Yeah... my brain definitely has a leak...

EDIT: Also, some were videos - can videos be photoshopped (w/o photoshopping individual frames?)
    Last edited by Magnema; 2010-05-23 at 06:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

I searched for videos before. It's not a true event... They just edited the question and some erased the audio and put their own voice.

If you are interested...
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

May I sig this?
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-05-24 at 01:12 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

May I sig this?
    A'course you may

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I can only recall one anecdote at the moment.

During History Class at 17 years old;

Teacher:*talking about the Great Fire of Rome and how many at the time blamed it on the Christians*
    Girl: Um, was that AD or BC?
    Teacher: ...
    Class: ...
    Girl: ...Oh, right

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesh View Post
    Girl: ...Oh, right
    Let me guess: she thought it was BCE.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Let me guess: she thought it was BCE.
    She needed to think about it for a few seconds, at least she understood then that she had had a brainfart. Even that "Common Era" still uses the same years as AD and BC. Some times one should really try to think for a few seconds before one opens one's mouth, especially in class. But, better to ask an ignorant question than remain ignorant I guess. She was kind of a ditz though, there's another anecdote about her that I can't remember right now

24. - Top - End - #324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

The Wiki for symbiosis.
    Sorry, that's gotta be one of my top ten pet peeves. Wiki =/= Wikipedia.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

It's too long and too commonly referenced to not have nicknames and abbreviations. 'Pedia is probably better. "The Other Wiki" is great on TVTropes but is really more of a nick than an abbreviation and doesn't make sense out of context anyway.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

26. - Top - End - #326

Just remembered a great quote from my old history teacher and a classmate of mine, some 4-5 years ago now. We were talking about the U.S and JFK when the teacher goes;
    "And the shooter is believed to have been a man named Osbourne."
    The whole class starts to exchange glances, and my friend says;
    "Umm, wasn't it Oswald?"
    "Oswald? Oswald... Yes! Harry Oswald."
    "Lee Harvey Oswald?"
    "Lee Harvey Oswald..."
    *Complete silence for a few seconds*
    "Anyway, a couple of decades later..."
    Last edited by drakir_nosslin; 2010-05-24 at 01:28 PM.
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Damn that Green Goblin...
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    It's too long and too commonly referenced to not have nicknames and abbreviations. 'Pedia is probably better. "The Other Wiki" is great on TVTropes but is really more of a nick than an abbreviation and doesn't make sense out of context anyway.
    The other Wiki is ED

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

They have pills for that, now.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

30. - Top - End - #330

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    They have pills for that, now.
    but if you pay attention to the ad for the pills, they often times cure you of something they claim to occasionally have as a side effect.

like the migrane pills that can cause sudden migranes, the asthma meds that cause asthma related death, depression medication that causes thoughts of suicide, the list goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.