New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect 3.7: "That was for Thane"

I wish there was an offline shooting range of sorts, like the one in the Spectre office on the Citadel in the single player mode. You could test loadouts and powers without worrying that your bumbling about will hinder the rest of the team.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-04 at 10:55 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I wish there was an offline shooting range of sorts, like the one in the Spectre office on the Citadel in the single player mode. You could test loadouts and powers without worrying that your bumbling about will hinder the rest of the team.
    Yeah, I agree. Especially with the DLCs routinely adding weapons that were never available in the main game, which will thus be totally new to everyone the first time they pick them up.

I've actually just recently started doing something new precisely because of that issue - I'm using a Soldier, specifically my Krogan, to test out weapons I've never used before. Just today I tried the Reagar Carbine and Cerberus Harrier. I had used the Reagar before, but wanted to see whether adding my Shredder mod meaningfully improved its performance against armor - it didn't, though perhaps that's because I only have that mod at rank 2, so it's only reducing the protection by 35%.

For the Harrier though, using it just solidified my opinion that it needs nerfs. I have it only at rank 1, and holy crap it outdoes every other weapon I've ever tried immensely against armor. Yeah it has ammo issues, but there's plenty of ammo spots scattered around the maps, and there's always thermal clip expendables if you absolutely need them, so I don't see that as a big enough balancing point. Plus there's Demolishers and their ammo-spawning ability to negate the issue entirely.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #843
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Siuis, what was the Justicar build you put up a few pages back for running platinum? I'm trying to set up one of those. Also, once I get my Adept up to 20 I'd like to break into the Platinum business, who'd be willing to help me with that?

EDIT: I'm on PC, btw.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-11-04 at 02:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    This is one reason I prefer faster firing weapons. I'm not great at that single shot, so I like to be able to correct, and my computer likes to randomly lag and skip frames, so my problem is just exacerbated.
    For the Justicar, it's just straight across the top with biotic sphere; shield recharge, defense, and shiel recharge again. Comes out to +25%.

With a destroyer, any Krogan but sentinel, and batarian you get the shield recharge bonus from their armor skill, and the same from fitness skill. Then you use gear and expendables to get shield recharge as close to 100% as possible. It's really effective, but much less so for the Justicar.

Oh, and geth also benefit; geth fitness analogue grants you +25% shield recharge instead of just +15%, because the first rank increases it by +10%.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-04 at 03:35 PM.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Also, once I get my Adept up to 20 I'd like to break into the Platinum business, who'd be willing to help me with that?
    I'm always up for it, it'll be nice to do some platinum runs with playgrounders since I've had a run of bad luck with randoms lately. Ran one match on Rio yesterday where our Volus decided that using Shield Boost was beneath him and another match where I managed to top the charts as a Volus Engi... Needless to say those two matches didn't last very long.

So it only took me 6 months but I finally got a Mattock, now if only I hadn't maxed out the Phaestion ages ago.

wish there was an offline shooting range of sorts, like the one in the Spectre office on the Citadel in the single player mode. You could test loadouts and powers without worrying that your bumbling about will hinder the rest of the team.
    I heartily agree, you could even make it its own map with mock enemies to fight so you can get a feel for them, just have any 'kills' give 0 xp. Name it Pinnacle Station after the ME1 dlc (I think that's what it was at least, never actually got it).

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farix View Post
    I heartily agree, you could even make it its own map with mock enemies to fight so you can get a feel for them, just have any 'kills' give 0 xp. Name it Pinnacle Station after the ME1 dlc (I think that's what it was at least, never actually got it).
    Can't name it Pinnacle Station. The Reapers destroyed it. You can see the wreckage of it if you go to that system in ME3. Can't remember the name of the system, though. I think it was in the Argos Rho cluster.
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

So it only took me 6 months but I finally got a Mattock, now if only I hadn't maxed out the Phaestion ages ago.
    You could always do what I just did, and buy Veteran packs until you max out every uncommon you want. Shouldn't take too long - if you extract each time you'll get about five per three games of silver, or seven per two games of gold.

Zevox

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #848
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You could always do what I just did, and buy Veteran packs until you max out every uncommon you want. Shouldn't take too long - if you extract each time you'll get about five per three games of silver, or seven per two games of gold.
    Been doin that off and on since I started, I've gotten most of the uncommons ranked up to at least past 5 but for whatever reason the game refused to give me a Mattock. It's become somewhat of a running gag to me since I was starting to suspect that the Mattock was a myth.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    Can't name it Pinnacle Station. The Reapers destroyed it. You can see the wreckage of it if you go to that system in ME3. Can't remember the name of the system, though. I think it was in the Argos Rho cluster.
    That would be very good, yes. Fake enemies to test guns on would be really useful. Experimenting is a bit hard in an actual match, especially if it turns out the weapon loadout or power selection you're testing doesn't work.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Been doin that off and on since I started, I've gotten most of the uncommons ranked up to at least past 5 but for whatever reason the game refused to give me a Mattock. It's become somewhat of a running gag to me since I was starting to suspect that the Mattock was a myth.
    I mean literally just keep buying them until you've got everything you want maxed out, even it means maxing out every other uncommon weapon on the way. That's what happened to me - the game was very stubborn when it came to my Phalanx. It was the last one I got, and the last one I maxed out; and of course, being a lightweight pistol good for casters, it was one of the ones I most wanted. Just how it goes sometimes.

Zevox

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    Pheonix system, Argus Rho.
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm always up for it, it'll be nice to do some platinum runs with playgrounders since I've had a run of bad luck with randoms lately. Ran one match on Rio yesterday where our Volus decided that using Shield Boost was beneath him and another match where I managed to top the charts as a Volus Engi... Needless to say those two matches didn't last very long.
    Like I said, the Justicar I have is only a lv. 14, but once I get the last 6 levels I'm going to try it. A few questions: SiuiS mentioned a "divot" in the far corner of the Rio map ("by all the boxes", as I recall him saying) that Banshees can't fit into, do you know where that is? Do you have a Krogan Soldier or Adept, or other tanky char? And do you have a mic? I ask because I've been making do with pressing the voice button

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I just had a terrible game of Silver.

Me and a friend had been doing some Glacier/Geth/Gold runs for some easy credits, but were getting hampered by players who evidently didn't understand spawn control. So we decide to go down to Silver to relax a little. I decide to take the opportunity to try out my Javelin VII on my turian soldier (since none of my infiltrators are set up for sniper play).

Hoo boy.

We draw Reactor/Collectors. Already not the most pleasant of combinations, especially with me only carrying a sniper rifle. But the real problem was the other two players: a krogan vanguard with Carnage, no Barrier, and a Kishock and Geth Plasma SMG, and a volus adept who seemed to refuse to use Shield Boost.

I don't think I have ever been quite so frustrated with the incompetence of other players in this game before.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A few questions: SiuiS mentioned a "divot" in the far corner of the Rio map ("by all the boxes", as I recall him saying) that Banshees can't fit into, do you know where that is?
    Yep, its the standard hiding spot for Rio runs, its on the opposite side of the map from the extraction point next to the enclosed area with all the pylons in a grid pattern and the maze of cargo containers. Just head straight down the alley between the containers and the pylon section till you reach the end and look in the container there, its open facing away from the rest of the map with no direct approach making it perfect for funneling enemies into close range for shotguns/powers/grenades.

Do you have a Krogan Soldier or Adept, or other tanky char? And do you have a mic? I ask because I've been making do with pressing the voice button
    Got a N7 Destroyer for a heavy, Fury for setting biotic combos, both (Volus? Volus's? Voli?) if we need it, and my new personal favorite the unholy union of Tech Burst, Fire Explosion, and Cryo Explosion that is the N7 Paladin (Snap Freeze may be the greatest skill ever). As for chat I just bound the voice button to Shift since I'm using a laptop with a built in mic.

I don't think I have ever been quite so frustrated with the incompetence of other players in this game before.
    Welcome back to Bronze and Silver, where teamwork and optimization are dirty words.
    Last edited by Farix; 2012-11-04 at 07:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yep, its the standard hiding spot for Rio runs, its on the opposite side of the map from the extraction point next to the enclosed area with all the pylons in a grid pattern and the maze of cargo containers. Just head straight down the alley between the containers and the pylon section till you reach the end and look in the container there, its open facing away from the rest of the map with no direct approach making it perfect for funneling enemies into close range for shotguns/powers/grenades.
    OK, I'll have to scope it out next time I'm on Rio. It doesn't sound like there's any place for people to take cover facing the entrance to the divot tho, which would help.

Got a N7 Destroyer for a heavy, Fury for setting biotic combos, both (Volus? Volus's? Voli?) if we need it, and my new personal favorite the unholy union of Tech Burst, Fire Explosion, and Cryo Explosion that is the N7 Paladin (Snap Freeze may be the greatest skill ever). As for chat I just bound the voice button to Shift since I'm using a laptop with a built in mic.
    I use Shift for sprinting, since that's what I'm used to from ME2. Tab is my voice button (same comp setup), but I've found it difficult to press that and play at the same time.

Welcome back to Bronze and Silver, where teamwork and optimization are dirty words.
    I'm probably at Gold-level competence myself, but I've been too afraid to try anything other than a Salarian engie on Firebase White and Geth. I'm fairly certain those two guys were just incompetent, however.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post

Zevox
    In retrospect, this actually sounds like a bad idea. In that I can't really think of an uncommon, that wouldn't be beaten out by all those rares you aren't buying - and you still get uncommons in PSPs, too.

It's way more fun, but less optimal.

Yeah. If I'm ambulatory tonight I'll take pictures.

And for Landis' notes, if you've got a Volus with you you don't need to use the Justicar. So you could bring a different adept for leveling if you'd like.

My thoughts are similar but less harsh. Perhaps they were testing out "inferior" builds. I mean, the fact that my Krogan battlemaster occasionally gets respecced for carnage instead of the Optimal Build shouldn't affect your fun. And if I wanna try something wonky, silver is where I do it. Soloing silver was barely an accomplishment when the game first came out. Now it kind of expected if you've got a gun at rank X.

I pulled out my volus with minimal shield boost, maxed sadis and maxed biotic sphere. I was sniping. With a sniper rifle. Off in my own corner of the map. If we are all ambushed by something, yeah, I picked up and healed my allies. But you also get stuff like "I'm not gonna bother with the objective right next to me and instead get moar killz, ecause we have an infiltrator", where nobody does anything for three minutes and then I look up, see 00:45 flashing red, remember that volus can cloak, and swear.

That said, I'm kinda hypocritical. When I am an infiltrator, I always roll my eyes when the soldier disengages and runs across the map to get an objective that I was closer to. And I have on occasion bolted into a sea run towards the part volus/geth turret/infiltrator so I could get a rez.

I think the problem ends up being a sense of expectation. These thins aren't issues of you aren't expecting certain outcomes. Much more frustrating on higher levels, as I've complained about. On Sicer, you just shouldn't expect higher functioning tactics. In fact they are bad. Being the best guy on the field usually just messes up everyone else's fun. Unless they're in it for the credits.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-04 at 09:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    In retrospect, this actually sounds like a bad idea. In that I can't really think of an uncommon, that wouldn't be beaten out by all those rares you aren't buying - and you still get uncommons in PSPs, too.

Most of the good light-weight weapons are uncommon. The Phaeston 10 or Tempest 10 + Phalanx 10 is currently my default weapon set on my casters, and the Eviscerator 10 + Phalanx 10 my default on my non-Krogan Vanguards. All of the lighter-weight sniper rifles are there too, if you go for those, as well as the Mattock (not quite light-weight, but gets close to it at high ranks). For rares your only light-weights are what, the Carnifex, Disciple, Geth Plasma SMG, and Acolyte? The Hornet, if you actually like that thing? Maybe one of the new ones (I have no idea what the weight on the three Collector weapons is)?

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I'm probably at Gold-level competence myself, but I've been too afraid to try anything other than a Salarian engie on Firebase White and Geth. I'm fairly certain those two guys were just incompetent, however.
    I've been able to do gold with the Human and Asari Adepts, Human and Salarian Engineers, Demolisher, and Turian Sentinel myself. That said, your teammates and the map probably make a much bigger difference than your class - most of my attempts at gold games the past two days ran afoul of poor players (I cannot believe how many people I saw playing Vorcha whose only tactic seemed to be "run up to enemies and use Flamer"), and I don't think I've yet had a game on Firebase Glacier make it through wave 10 - too many enemies for the confined spaces that map has, especially in king-of-hill objective waves. Ironic, since I love that map on silver, as it limits fights to groups that are always manageable on that difficulty.

On the flip side, Firebase Giant and Dagger versus the Geth or Cerberus have been quite doable even when a teammate or two wasn't doing so well, surprisingly enough. After seeing some people selecting it deliberately, I almost wonder if Cerberus/Giant has become the new Geth/White now that White has been changed to screw over that farming tactic.

Zevox

18. - Top - End - #858
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

But you also get stuff like "I'm not gonna bother with the objective right next to me and instead get moar killz, cause we have an infiltrator", where nobody does anything for three minutes and then I look up, see 00:45 flashing red, remember that volus can cloak, and swear.
    That's my main issue with playing on bronze/silver, the occasional player you goes off on his own during escort or defending objectives. That being said I'm not knocking the lower levels (meant my comment to be tongue and cheek rather than critical), since I typically play silver unless I'm off to farm creds. I prefer to play it since you don't have to have a well organized group to make it through and can try out new tactics and builds, well that and I really don't want to find out what Collectors on Platinum entails.

OK, I'll have to scope it out next time I'm on Rio. It doesn't sound like there's any place for people to take cover facing the entrance to the divot tho, which would help.
    Yeah there's no cover in the box you've just gotta crowd in the back. Hiding out there you just have to accept the fact that you're gonna get hit, which is what the Justicar regen buffs or the Volus Shield Boost is for. The advantage though is that Banshee's can't make it in to grab you, nor can Brutes or an Atlas so you're safe from all insta-kills but Phantoms, which tend to die in the crossfire pretty fast.
    Last edited by Farix; 2012-11-04 at 10:51 PM.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Banned

Most of the good light-weight weapons are uncommon. The Phaeston 10 or Tempest 10 + Phalanx 10 is currently my default weapon set on my casters, and the Eviscerator 10 + Phalanx 10 my default on my non-Krogan Vanguards. All of the lighter-weight sniper rifles are there too, if you go for those, as well as the Mattock (not quite light-weight, but gets close to it at high ranks). For rares your only light-weights are what, the Carnifex, Disciple, Geth Plasma SMG, and Acolyte? The Hornet, if you actually like that thing? Maybe one of the new ones (I have no idea what the weight on the three Collector weapons is)?
    This is true, however; you've finally gotten a phalanx X. If you'd been spamming PSPs since ye get go you'd have a phalanx I if you were lucky... And a carnifex X. Carnifex wins that one.

Geth plasma SMG is the bet gun in its weigh class, only matched by the hornet, an then only of you're willing to take your time.

The geth plasma shotgun and the graal spike thrower are both high quality rare shotguns, and their weight isn't so bad. Especially considering ignoring armor and shield mechanisms. Disciple was one of the originals huh? Oddly forgettable. If you need light, you're a caster. If you're a caster, you probably want ranged accuracy.

Sniper rifles don't need to be light. Widow. Yeah baby.

Assault rifles, gets you the geth pulse rifle (comparable to the Phaeston), the revenant, and some other fancy dealies.

I'm not saying I disagree, and the phaeston is still one I my favorite guns, as well as the tempest. Just, logically, without preference, ignoring veteran packs gets you better guns sooner. Or did; now there is a breadth of rares sufficient to make this uneven.

On the flip side, Firebase Giant and Dagger versus the Geth or Cerberus have been quite doable even when a teammate or two wasn't doing so well, surprisingly enough. After seeing some people selecting it deliberately, I almost wonder if Cerberus/Giant has become the new Geth/White now that White has been changed to screw over that farming tactic.

Zevox
    Basic spawn control on giant boils down to "don't everyone be up in the same room because an atlas will show up just down the ramp and murder you". So you get two guys by the ramp leading into the room, and two guys on the perch at the far end. Brh groups are a short mosey away from ammo, and you Ed up controlling half the map... Unless a dumb team mate or three decides to run into the middle as soon as ombat starts to try an get in their points.

That's my main issue with playing on bronze/silver, the occasional player you goes off on his own during escort or defending objectives. That being said I'm not knocking the lower levels (meant my comment to be tongue and cheek rather than critical), since I typically play silver unless I'm off to farm creds. I prefer to play it since you don't have to have a well organized group to make it through and can try out new tactics and builds, well that and I really don't want to find out what Collectors on Platinum entails.
    Oh sweet Celestia. When the new patch dropped, my friend misheard me. I said "let's play a quick farm round on platinum against anything but the collectors so I'll have some medigel, and maybe some of the new rares." what he apparently heard was "I'm suicidally stupid, punish me for it and laugh at my suffering".

We played eight rounds of collector/reactor hazard/platinum.

I think we got as far as wave 4, once. Then there were hunters and pyros and crying.

Yeah there's no cover in the box you've just gotta crowd in the back. Hiding out there you just have to accept the fact that you're gonna get hit, which is what the Justicar regen buffs or the Volus Shield Boost is for. The advantage though is that Banshee's can't make it in to grab you, nor can Brutes or an Atlas so you're safe from all insta-kills but Phantoms, which tend to die in the crossfire pretty fast.
    The Box makes it so everything has to go around a corner to get to you, and then stand in front of you. If you have area of effect powers, they'll go down. The only real issues are;

brutes brutes have the hitbox of Motaro. They can occasionally get smart, and try to hot you through the sides. And succeed.

Husks yeah, I know. But you're so busy puttin lead into that banshee, or pretty much anything else, that you don't notice the husk until a team mate drops dead and his dance partner is trying to make out with you.

Phantoms same thing. They're invisible, short, and fast. And once they get really close they mess with targeting. Hard to kill.

Atlas much less forgiving about distance. An Ayala can and will reach into the box to get you... If he's at the very closest possible space. Usually they walk back and forth shooting aimlessly for like, an hour. Go for the groin and knees.

Hunters kind of like jerkier phantoms. Often Stan behind EVERYTHING ELSE so you can't directly shoot them.

Pyros pyros get an honorable mention, because they should be scary hard but they're not. If a couple I them manage to Meade around an torch the box you're boned. Their slow pace, poor cornering and the fact that you're blowing stuff up aroun them constantly makes them more of a distraction than anything else.

Engineers engineers are not a threat. They are actually really stupid. They run into view, and then slowly strafe in front of you, occasionally taking a pot shot. No, engineers make honorable mention ecause of turrets. I you're sloppy, you'll leave the box to reposition around the corner... Turret. Go back to the box... Side angle turret. Go around the other corner.... Turret. An right after everyone on your team drops and it's blow medigel under turrets or risk Critical Mission Failure, they all blow up on their own.

I have yet to meet a dragoon or geth bomber on platinum but the thought is terrifying. Fighting a dragoon in an enclosed space is like punching a fully armored batarian. You'd be okay if he would just stagger. Just once. But noooo, mister big shot armored bondage dude doesn't show weakness, or mercy.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow, lots to respond to.

It depends on what you want to do. I'm still saving up for a giant binge over winter break (cracked 2 mil creds just a couple weeks ago), so buying Veteran packs removes weapons, chars, gears, etc. that would otherwise take up slots in PSPs.

Yeah. If I'm ambulatory tonight I'll take pictures.

And for Landis' notes, if you've got a Volus with you you don't need to use the Justicar. So you could bring a different adept for leveling if you'd like.
    I have both a Justicar and a Volus, but I'd like to use the Justicar as my designated "Platinum char". It's a mindset thing, and besides, I did this with my Salarian Engie while Geth farming was still viable. And I took a look at the spot in question. Its only drawback is possibly a secluded spawning space right next door (that would be that grid-pattern of tower things).

My thoughts are similar but less harsh. Perhaps they were testing out "inferior" builds.
    Then they should say that in the lobby, so that people can prepare. If the others aren't *****, they'll adapt. If they are, they'll save you the trouble of pressing the "leave lobby" button.

I pulled out my volus with minimal shield boost, maxed sadis and maxed biotic sphere. I was sniping. With a sniper rifle. Off in my own corner of the map. If we are all ambushed by something, yeah, I picked up and healed my allies. But you also get stuff like "I'm not gonna bother with the objective right next to me and instead get moar killz, ecause we have an infiltrator", where nobody does anything for three minutes and then I look up, see 00:45 flashing red, remember that volus can cloak, and swear.
    That's idiotic, although I can see where people get the "someone else's problem" mentality.

I think the problem ends up being a sense of expectation. These thins aren't issues of you aren't expecting certain outcomes. Much more frustrating on higher levels, as I've complained about. On Sicer, you just shouldn't expect higher functioning tactics. In fact they are bad. Being the best guy on the field usually just messes up everyone else's fun. Unless they're in it for the credits.
    This. The entire multiplayer has this quality about it, but I'm not certain it's entirely a bad thing. I mean, the expectations of the classes allow someone looking at a lobby to figure out who will be doing what where, especially on the higher difficulties. When someone breaks those, it requires adaptation. Of course, that goes out the window on Silver and definitely Bronze, since you have to force people to stay in the same place for more than 5 seconds. (the addition of escorts becomes much less mystifying...). And the credits are so minimal on Bronze and Silver that they are for the person who a) wants to learn the ropes, b) wants to experiment, or c) wants to blow off steam with a Typhoon.

From the link that... someone posted earlier:
    Collector SMG: 75 (I)-35(X), no mod. (with ULM:37.5(I-I)-3.5(X-V))
    Collector Assault Rifle: 160(I)-120(X)
    Collector Sniper: 200(I)-140(X)

And I'm kind of jealous about your plethora of rank 10 non-common weapons. I just unlocked the Vindicator 10 yesterday.

I've been able to do gold with the Human and Asari Adepts, Human and Salarian Engineers, Demolisher, and Turian Sentinel myself. That said, your teammates and the map probably make a much bigger difference than your class - most of my attempts at gold games the past two days ran afoul of poor players (I cannot believe how many people I saw playing Vorcha whose only tactic seemed to be "run up to enemies and use Flamer"), and I don't think I've yet had a game on Firebase Glacier make it through wave 10 - too many enemies for the confined spaces that map has, especially in king-of-hill objective waves. Ironic, since I love that map on silver, as it limits fights to groups that are always manageable on that difficulty.
    I've actually been one of those Vorcha players, although never on Gold. Maybe they were trying to unlock the Flamer accomplishment? And Glacier does tend to bottleneck, which can be a double-edged sword. What do you think of Goddess Gold?

Zevox
    The problem isn't White, the problem is the Bombers. They kill entrenched positions dead. To prove this, do a gold match against Geth on Goddess (Decoy engie places it at the bottom of the back stairs in the lab section and snipes things coming that direction, everyone else mans that blown-up section). Everything goes OK, assuming you have a competent team, up until the Bombers show up and sail right over the head of your decoy, your front line, and everything else. The changes to White just ensured that your team has to spread out a bit more to cover all the bases. And GiantCerberusGold (GaCeGold, as opposed to GlCoGold, which is just a bad idea) makes sense as a successor, although the lack of bottleneck makes it a little difficult.

I don't think anyone wants to find that out. Maybe the highest of the upper echelons of leetness can even attempt it.

Dragoons can get in there tho- oh wait, Dragoons don't show up in Reaper Platinum.

In other news, I've figured out a strategy for getting the most out of the new promotion system. Get the class up to promotion level, then make every new char you can. Do not promote unless you want to get the next level of that promotion accomplishment, which isn't really worth it. Then, when you unlock a new char, you have all the points available to you instantly. Profit!
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-11-05 at 05:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, weird thing I just had happen. I respecced my Asari Vanguard, which I haven't used in forever since my initial attempts to do so had me find that Stasis did not work well with the Vanguard play style due its high cooldown, and grabbed the pistol weight reduction from her top-rank class talent while I was at it. I go to set her weapons, and apparently, my Phalanx 10 is now completely weightless for her. I set the Eviscerator 10 on her, 190%. I added the Phalanx 10 to that, still 190%.

So, does that mean that the percentage weight reduction from those talents is a flat number decrease rather than a percentage of their weight? The percentage instead being the exact percentage you gain to your cooldown? I'd never have guessed such a thing, but it's the only explanation I can come up with - that the Phalanx 10's weight is under 30% for the cooldown bar, so the 30% reduction made it weightless.

@ Landis - You have quite a few misattributed quotes in that post. Many of those you have as from Farix are from SiuiS, and the last one, which you have as from me, is from Farix.

This is true, however; you've finally gotten a phalanx X. If you'd been spamming PSPs since ye get go you'd have a phalanx I if you were lucky... And a carnifex X. Carnifex wins that one.
    Yeah, no. There's a hell of a lot more rares to go around than there are uncommons, so the odds that I'd have a Carnifex 10 by now if I'd never bought Veteran packs are extremely low. Especially since I was spamming Premium packs pretty much ever since I maxed out my common weapons and mods way back, and it took me until the days of the Earth DLC to get so much as a Carnifex 1.

(Honestly, my luck with pistols has been abysmal for the whole multiplayer. The Predator was the second-to-last common I maxed. The Phalanx the last uncommon I got, was stuck at rank 3 until I started spamming Veteran packs recently, and was still the last uncommon I maxed. The Carrnifex took me forever to get at all, and is still only at rank 4. And the one pistol that I would like to have just for fun, the Scorpion, I have not acquired at all - but I have both of the other ultra-rare pistols at rank 2, not that I'll ever use them...)

Geth plasma SMG is the bet gun in its weigh class, only matched by the hornet, an then only of you're willing to take your time.
    Once you have the SMG armor-piercing mod, perhaps. Lacking that, it's got a glaring weakness, and you need others to make up for it.

The geth plasma shotgun and the graal spike thrower are both high quality rare shotguns, and their weight isn't so bad.
    I don't know about the GPS, but I've all but given up on the Graal ever getting light enough that I'd use it on any of my characters. I have it at rank 4 I believe, and even on my Krogan Vanguard, who has the shotgun weight reduction from his class talent, it's nowhere near acceptable yet. Which is a shame, since it was my shotgun of choice in single-player, but Shepard had a much higher carry capacity than the multiplayer characters do, and even there I was accepting some moderate cooldown reduction to use the Graal 5.

Disciple was one of the originals huh? Oddly forgettable. If you need light, you're a caster. If you're a caster, you probably want ranged accuracy.
    Or you're a Vanguard, who wants to be able to Charge as often as possible, since Charge is life for them. The Disciple is good for that... until you have a Katana or Eviscerator that are light enough to give you 200%, or at least lighter than the likely-lower-rank Disciple, at which point it's obsolete.

Sniper rifles don't need to be light. Widow. Yeah baby.
    *shrugs* That's why I said "if you go for those." I'm sure there are some people out there who like putting light-weight sniper rifles on casters or something. I'm just not one of them, and apparently neither are you.

Assault rifles, gets you the geth pulse rifle (comparable to the Phaeston), the revenant, and some other fancy dealies.
    The Geth Pulse Rifle is light, true, but I've found it nowhere near as useful as the Phaeston. Its damage is just too low. And the Revenant isn't what I'd call light-weight.

I'm not saying I disagree, and the phaeston is still one I my favorite guns, as well as the tempest. Just, logically, without preference, ignoring veteran packs gets you better guns sooner. Or did; now there is a breadth of rares sufficient to make this uneven.
    My point is that it depends on what you consider the "better guns." The ones that you can slap on a character and basically use as your main, or even only, means of dealing damage, and do great with? Sure. But that's not necessarily what everyone is looking for, and most of those guns come with a price in terms of weight.

Brh groups are a short mosey away from ammo, and you Ed up controlling half the map... Unless a dumb team mate or three decides to run into the middle as soon as ombat starts to try an get in their points.
    Yeah, I've had that happen a couple of times. See my previous mention of running into a lot of Vorcha players whose sole tactic was "run up to it and use Flamer."

Fighting a dragoon in an enclosed space is like punching a fully armored batarian. You'd be okay if he would just stagger. Just once. But noooo, mister big shot armored bondage dude doesn't show weakness, or mercy.
    Huh, odd. I know Dragoons are a pain once they start hitting you, but I've never really had trouble staggering them, even on gold. Smack them with whatever anti-armor power you have and they stagger like anything else their size. Heck, I've shocked them with chain Overload from my Turian Sentinel.

From the link that... someone posted earlier:
    Collector SMG: 75 (I)-35(X), no mod. (with ULM:37.5(I-I)-3.5(X-V))
    Collector Assault Rifle: 160(I)-120(X)
    Collector Sniper: 200(I)-140(X)
    So the Collector SMG is pretty light-weight, enough so to give 200% once ranked up, but the AR and Sniper Rifle aren't light at all. Good to know.

And I'm kind of jealous about your plethora of rank 10 non-common weapons. I just unlocked the Vindicator 10 yesterday.
    As I said, I've just finished spam-buying Veteran packs specifically to get all those. I found myself pretty limited picking out weapons for my Volus Engineer thanks to my uncommon weapons being all around 5, some as low as 3, and wanted to rectify that. And since the only uncommons that have been added since the game launched are gear, which have a much lower drop rate in Veteran packs than weapons (or uncommon expendables, annoyingly), it was actually pretty easy to just buy Veteran packs for a few days and max out every uncommon weapon in the game. Though I'd have stopped earlier if I had gotten all the ones I cared about earlier, but alas, the Phalanx was the last holdout.

I've actually been one of those Vorcha players, although never on Gold. Maybe they were trying to unlock the Flamer accomplishment?
    If it's not on gold, it probably works fine. I've seen people here saying that the Vorcha regeneration from their Bloodlust ability makes them absolute tanks on silver and bronze (I haven't played them myself). And since Flamer primes fire bursts and those work like other bursts now, it's actually very useful if you've got someone on the team that detonate those (and most offensive powers can). Gold though, they can't do that without dying unless they're very careful, or very good.

What do you think of Goddess Gold?
    I've only played it once, and a combination of a poor team and the enemy being the Collectors ended it too early for me to have much to say.

In other news, I've figured out a strategy for getting the most out of the new promotion system. Get the class up to promotion level, then make every new char you can. Do not promote unless you want to get the next level of that promotion accomplishment, which isn't really worth it. Then, when you unlock a new char, you have all the points available to you instantly. Profit!
    Wait, the fact that if you don't promote your new characters start at level 20 and can immediately max out their build is news to you?

Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-11-05 at 02:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Banned

That little side spawn point can become a problem, yes. Most waves start with everyone right near The Box, and if enemies pop up there they flank you. But that's it. Once you're in the box, you're gold.

I would suggest investing in either a Shield Modulator or Stronghold gear for the shield recharge, and use shield power cell expendables heavily. It's not as good as a destroyer, but you'll still start to recover shields with approximately .75 seconds of free time.

Armor piercing ammo would probably be best, unless reave can cause detonations. If reave can set off fire bursts, the bring incendiary ammo. Armor piercing gear is still nice since you can shoot through the sides of the box/enemies however.

Yes Zevox. Human -20% weight, means your cool down is literally 20% better with two guns. Asari HP 30% weight reduction means a heavy pistol will give you 200% instead of 170%.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-11-05 at 02:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, does that mean that the percentage weight reduction from those talents is a flat number decrease rather than a percentage of their weight? The percentage instead being the exact percentage you gain to your cooldown? I'd never have guessed such a thing, but it's the only explanation I can come up with - that the Phalanx 10's weight is under 30% for the cooldown bar, so the 30% reduction made it weightless.
    Yep. Phalanx 10 has a weight of 25, and most chars have a "grace period" extra weight of 30 or more (in addition to the 200 visible on screen).

@ Landis - You have quite a few misattributed quotes in that post. Many of those you have as from Farix are from SiuiS, and the last one, which you have as from me, is from Farix.
    Dagnabbit. Thanks for the catch.

So the Collector SMG is pretty light-weight, enough so to give 200% once ranked up, but the AR and Sniper Rifle aren't light at all. Good to know.
    Which is why it's Ultra-Rare and the other two are Rare.

As I said, I've just finished spam-buying Veteran packs specifically to get all those. I found myself pretty limited picking out weapons for my Volus Engineer thanks to my uncommon weapons being all around 5, some as low as 3, and wanted to rectify that. And since the only uncommons that have been added since the game launched are gear, which have a much lower drop rate in Veteran packs than weapons (or uncommon expendables, annoyingly), it was actually pretty easy to just buy Veteran packs for a few days and max out every uncommon weapon in the game. Though I'd have stopped earlier if I had gotten all the ones I cared about earlier, but alas, the Phalanx was the last holdout.
    Oh, that makes more sense. I just thought you were lucky and got them all earlier. Yeah, I'm doing that more sporadically (one pack, per session of gaming) and my acquisition of uncommon stuff is correspondingly slower.

If it's not on gold, it probably works fine. I've seen people here saying that the Vorcha regeneration from their Bloodlust ability makes them absolute tanks on silver and bronze (I haven't played them myself). And since Flamer primes fire bursts and those work like other bursts now, it's actually very useful if you've got someone on the team that detonate those (and most offensive powers can). Gold though, they can't do that without dying unless they're very careful, or very good.
    Yeah, they'd be wrong about Vorcha being tanks. The problem is, they see the red health bar filling back up and think "I AM INVINCIBLE".

I've only played it once, and a combination of a poor team and the enemy being the Collectors ended it too early for me to have much to say.
    Hm. That's too bad. I assume you were doing any/any/gold?

Wait, the fact that if you don't promote your new characters start at level 20 and can immediately max out their build is news to you?

Zevox
    Yes, I was aware of this, dimly, but a) I never actually tried it before (I just naturally pressed the Promote button before starting a new char, since they disappeared before and I could start with a fresh slate) and b) I'm doing it on a much larger scale than before (once a class hits 20, I'm immediately deploying and speccing every char I have in that class, save the basic humans because meh). Before it was case-by-case. "Hm, what char should I try next? How about.. the Havoc? Sure, let me promote my Destroyer." I used that method because I could organically choose what worked over the course of building up those 20 levels. Now that the chars don't disappear, there's no reason not to have every single unlocked char specced and ready to pick-up and play.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-11-05 at 04:11 AM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Siuis, what was the Justicar build you put up a few pages back for running platinum? I'm trying to set up one of those. Also, once I get my Adept up to 20 I'd like to break into the Platinum business, who'd be willing to help me with that?

I'd be up for it. I have most classes unlocked, and all of the ones that have been mentioned for Platinum. Pretty sure my info is in the first post.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why it's Ultra-Rare and the other two are Rare.
    I don't think that's quite the case. Most SMGs are that light. In fact, it's slightly heavier than the Geth Plasma (rare), Tempest, and Locust (both uncommon), and a little lighter than the Hornet (rare).

Oh, that makes more sense. I just thought you were lucky and got them all earlier.
    No, I do not have such luck. In fact, one reason I did that is because Premium packs were proving near-useless in this area, giving me mostly uncommon expendables and only rarely a rank in an uncommon weapon.

Hm. That's too bad. I assume you were doing any/any/gold?
    When I could find it. Gold seems to have a higher number of people specifying the enemy or map, though, and unless it's something that seems suicidal (I've seen Reapers/Glacier selected before...) or Geth/White (that may not work for farming anymore, but I had my fill of it when it did), I'll play one game with those before moving on.

Yes, I was aware of this, dimly, but a) I never actually tried it before (I just naturally pressed the Promote button before starting a new char, since they disappeared before and I could start with a fresh slate) and b) I'm doing it on a much larger scale than before (once a class hits 20, I'm immediately deploying and speccing every char I have in that class, save the basic humans because meh). Before it was case-by-case. "Hm, what char should I try next? How about.. the Havoc? Sure, let me promote my Destroyer." I used that method because I could organically choose what worked over the course of building up those 20 levels. Now that the chars don't disappear, there's no reason not to have every single unlocked char specced and ready to pick-up and play.
    Huh. Me personally, I've never really promoted anything. Always seemed quite pointless to me unless I for some reason felt like playing the class from level 1 again (has only happened once), or I had changes I really wanted to make to a build or two and no respec cards to do them without promoting (has only happened twice). So yeah, I've been starting all my new characters at 20 from the get-go for as long as I can remember.

Oh, and you shouldn't dismiss the original Human characters so easily. The Sentinel may be redundant with the Asari Adept, but most of them can stand on their own. The Human Adept works well enough now that shockwave and singularity have had some buffs, the Human Engineer is actually quite good now that he can set off fire bursts with Incinerate -> Overload, and the Human Vanguard is of course awesome (Charge, Nova, Charge, Nova, Charge, Nova - wait, we've run out of enemies already? ).

Zevox

26. - Top - End - #866
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's my info- I'm mostly on late at night or on the weekends.

GiTP Name: CreganTur
    Gamertag: CreganTur
    Classes: Any
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

Which platform are you on?
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

28. - Top - End - #868
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Which platform are you on?
    XBOX

I had the worst luck finishing the Halloween challenge.

Completing Zombie and Monster hunter challenges was easy, but the Ghost extractions became difficult after I had already gotten 3/5.

I just ran into a series of bad luck circumstances where I would get auto-ganked by something. The last time it happened, when I rage quit, was when a Banshee pulled me from over 30 feet away! I was experiencing a little bit of lag, so that may have been part of it.

Came back with my trusty Geth shotty Infil, ruled the maps, and finally got my last 2 extractions.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I'd be up for it. I have most classes unlocked, and all of the ones that have been mentioned for Platinum. Pretty sure my info is in the first post.
    I'll contact you, Farix, and whoever else is willing once my adept gets up to 20, then.

Speaking of which, Farix, do you have your info on the first page?

EDIT: found it.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2012-11-05 at 03:02 PM.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll give it a shot once I get something up to 20 again.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?