New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Lucid Dreaming skill rework (3.5)

I was thinking about the Lucid Dreaming skill from MotP. I had several problems with it .It can't be used to do much in dreams beyond the superficial, it can be used as astoundingly easy assassination, and it forces you into a campaign world where dreaming is actually more like unconsciously Astral Projecting into a specific plane where stuff trends to be a bit odd. So, I asked around, and after I found that no fix existed,I made one myself.This can absolutely be communal thing, so if anybody has ideas for new functions, they are welcome.Lacking that, I'd like critique on my choice of DCs.

Here goes nothing!
    (I'll edit it into a table when I get to am actual computer)

Lucid Dreaming (Cha):
    {TABLE=head]Use|DC
    Realize you are dreaming|15 *
    Cause superficial/aesthetic change to dream|15*
    Cause superficial/aesthetic change to dreamer|15*
    Mimic spell effect modifying dream or dreamer|10+(spell level squared)
    If you do not have a high enough score in the relevant casting stat to cast the spell|+(twice difference between your score and minimum)
    If you do not have any levels in a class that can cast the spell|+10[/TABLE]

*Anybody with at least one rank in this skill and at least a +5 modifier to it can take 10 on this check in situations which normally allow taking 10.

When one realizes that they are in a dream, they are no longer bound to following along with it as they normally would.

Attempting to alter another dreamer or their dream against their will requires winning a contested Lucid Dreaming check. The one attempting to not be changed gets a +5 insight bonus to this check in that case.

Damage taken in a lucid dream manifests on waking as nonlethal damage equal to one-third the amount of lethal damage taken in the dream. Death in a lucid dream manifests as immediate waking, nonlethal damage equal to half the dreamers max HP, and two points of Cha burn (this overwrites the normal effect of taking damage in a lucid dream).

Taking 10: No in most cases, but see *.
    Use Untrained: Yes, but only for things marked with a *, and for opposing someone else's attempt to change you.
    Synergies: Sense Motive, Bluff
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-11-17 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lucid Dreaming skill rework (3.5)

This looks good on the whole. I have only two comments at present: first, you should specifically call out that being damaged in a lucid dream has consequences for restful sleep (i.e., you lose an hour of sleep, for spellcasters, or something of that nature), and there should be a larger penalty for being "killed" in a lucid dream.

Secondly, the synergy with Forgery is odd; I would expect Bluff to work better, since you're not writing anything down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Depending on the nature of dreams within the campaign, I would also add in higher checks that allow for accessing communal dreams, interacting with Dream, and otherwise messing with dreams with your companions.
    Domriso's Homebrew Compendium - A collection of all of my homebrew, throwing in my own design philosophy and my conceptions for possible new things.

Geomancy, Runic Magic, probably more at a later date:
    Come see my Homebrew!

Ever heard of the Ultimate Classes? They're pretty sweet. Check them out here.

I've had an interview over at Tellest! You should go see!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    . . . there should be a larger penalty for being "killed" in a lucid dream.
    Absolutely.
    Many times In literature/movies, getting killed in a manipulated dream is potentially lethal, or at least something that can scar you for life.

Repeated manipulation, OTOH, should raise the DC significantly and have reduced consequences, because the target becomes experienced in this kind of manipulation.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

This looks good on the whole. I have only two comments at present: first, you should specifically call out that being damaged in a lucid dream has consequences for restful sleep (i.e., you lose an hour of sleep, for spellcasters, or something of that nature), and there should be a larger penalty for being "killed" in a lucid dream.

Secondly, the synergy with Forgery is odd; I would expect Bluff to work better, since you're not writing anything down.
    A far as restful sleep, what about dividing damage by health and getting that fraction less sleep?
    On the note of synergies, I suppose that does sort of fit better. Fixing now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domriso View Post
    Depending on the nature of dreams within the campaign, I would also add in higher checks that allow for accessing communal dreams, interacting with Dream, and otherwise messing with dreams with your companions.
    Hmmm... Problem with that its it locks you right back into the dreaming-is-its-own-plane interpretation that I wanted to avoid. Maybe a Bard spell to go into someone else's dream that can be cast from inside the dream?
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsi View Post
    Absolutely.
    Many times In literature/movies, getting killed in a manipulated dream is potentially lethal, or at least something that can scar you for life.

Repeated manipulation, OTOH, should raise the DC significantly and have reduced consequences, because the target becomes experienced in this kind of manipulation.
    What do you think about making it ability drain instead of damage? Or possibly burn?

And... Did you just request that the skill get weaker and harder to use the more you use it? I'm not going to redo the Truenamer, here.

Edit: clarified what happens if you try to change someone else.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-11-09 at 08:33 AM.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    What do you think about making it ability drain instead of damage? Or possibly burn?
    Good call. Burn or drain. I'll leave the details to you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Good call. Burn or drain. I'll leave the details to you.
    Yeah, Burn sounded better to me, but I wasn't sure. Change incoming.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I like this as a starting point, but I feel as if all the DCs except the first one ought to be 5 higher. Lucid dreaming is a very rare thing; I've done it precisely thrice, and I was never able to make any changes to the dreamscape during those episodes, so I suspect it's more difficult - knowing you're dreaming just involves becoming aware, while changing anything requires enforcing your will over your perceptions and thus is akin to disbelieving a high-level illusion (with your subconscious as the caster, so it'd be vaguely as if you were possessed by a demon that was casting illusions on your own eyes which it disbelieves while looking out through them).

I also think there's a problem with the fact that the nonlethal damage on awakening is incapable of killing someone, even if they have a heart condition or the like. Use of lucid dreaming as an assassination effort should be almost impossible, but not inherently defined by the system as completely so. I'd go for something like "roll the target's Hit Dice as nonlethal damage; if reduced to 0, the target fails to awaken. Make a Will save 5 minutes later to wake up; if you fail, you slip into a coma. While comatose, make a Fortitude save; on a failure you die." Something along those lines. The probability of death is extremely low, but if you spammed this effect nightly you'd have a chance of it eventually working, especially if you targeted people who appeared frail or weak-willed.

The problem is just that Bluff already has three full synergies and a conditional one attached to it; I'd be happier not having it become more of a god-skill. Perhaps Knowledge: Psionics or Concentration instead?

Absolutely.
    To the extent where this is far too much of a cliche, IMO. Reality suggests that there is little evidence for this, and so I disfavor the idea of making it too reliable, as it breaks suspension of disbelief.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    The problem is just that Bluff already has three full synergies and a conditional one attached to it; I'd be happier not having it become more of a god-skill. Perhaps Knowledge: Psionics or Concentration instead?
    Autohypnosis?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Should it even be its own skill? It sounds like it could just be a sub-set of Autohypnosis.

Another possible application: defeat a Nightmare spell.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    I like this as a starting point, but I feel as if all the DCs except the first one ought to be 5 higher. Lucid dreaming is a very rare thing; I've done it precisely thrice, and I was never able to make any changes to the dreamscape during those episodes, so I suspect it's more difficult - knowing you're dreaming just involves becoming aware, while changing anything requires enforcing your will over your perceptions and thus is akin to disbelieving a high-level illusion (with your subconscious as the caster, so it'd be vaguely as if you were possessed by a demon that was casting illusions on your own eyes which it disbelieves while looking out through them).
    While I get it's a difficult thing, remember how much a single skill point can do in some cases. Jump, for example. Or Knowledge - even half a skill point brings you from "only knows common-knowledge stuff" to "might know something up to DC 20 or more, with luck". Five points in Ride, for someone with completely average Dexterity, allows them to not fall out when the horse rears unexpectedly, and to guide the horse, not just without reins, but without hands.

I also think there's a problem with the fact that the nonlethal damage on awakening is incapable of killing someone, even if they have a heart condition or the like. Use of lucid dreaming as an assassination effort should be almost impossible, but not inherently defined by the system as completely so. I'd go for something like "roll the target's Hit Dice as nonlethal damage; if reduced to 0, the target fails to awaken. Make a Will save 5 minutes later to wake up; if you fail, you slip into a coma. While comatose, make a Fortitude save; on a failure you die." Something along those lines. The probability of death is extremely low, but if you spammed this effect nightly you'd have a chance of it eventually working, especially if you targeted people who appeared frail or weak-willed.
    Actually, that sounds like a really good idea. I couldn't figure a way for it to work that it was possible for them to die but not likely or abusable, and you've got a great one right there. Mind if I tweak it a bit? Specifically, saying "If you fail the Will save, take Wisdom damage equal to your Wisdom score" so that there is a clear way out of the coma (I figured that the larger amount of damage makes up for it being damage instead of burn).

Now why didn't I think of Concentration for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
    Autohypnosis?
    That too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Should it even be its own skill? It sounds like it could just be a sub-set of Autohypnosis.

Another possible application: defeat a Nightmare spell.
    Subset? No. While it might sort of fit, Autohypnosis is good enough as a utility skill as-is without adding more.
    Defeating a Nightmare? That's a good use. How should I scale the DC to the caster level, do you think?
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Here's an idea I had for getting into other people's dreams:

Dreamshare
    Bard 3
    Components: V
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: 10 feet per two caster levels
    Target: One creature per two caster levels
    Duration: Eight hours or see text
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell can be cast either awake or from in a lucid dream. If it is cast while awake, it has it's "from inside a lucid dream" effect, but delayed until the caster and at least one target fall asleep. When cast from inside a lucid dream, the caster and all targets (targets are chosen from people sleeping within range in reality, not from dream-figments) join a communal dream (and are lucid while in that dream). This is basically the same as any other lucid dream except that there are multiple actual people present in it.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Attempting to alter another dreamer or their dream against their will requires winning a contested Lucid Dreaming check. The one attempting to not be changes gets +5 to this check in that case.
    You might want to rephrase this a bit and note what kind of bonus is gained.

For example:

Attempting to alter another dreamer or its dream against its will requires winning a contested Lucid Dreaming check. The one attempting not to be changed gains a +5 Insight bonus to this check in that case.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Subset? No. While it might sort of fit, Autohypnosis is good enough as a utility skill as-is without adding more.
    Defeating a Nightmare? That's a good use. How should I scale the DC to the caster level, do you think?
    Hmm.
    "You may use your Lucid Dreaming skill in place of a will save against any effect that can only be cast on you while you are sleeping"?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    You might want to rephrase this a bit and note what kind of bonus is gained.

For example:

Attempting to alter another dreamer or its dream against its will requires winning a contested Lucid Dreaming check. The one attempting not to be changed gains a +5 Insight bonus to this check in that case.

Debby
    Umm... Why can't it be an untyped bonus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan;
    Hmm.
    "You may use your Lucid Dreaming skill in place of a will save against any effect that can only be cast on you while you are sleeping"?
    Yeah, that looks good.
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

In response to what willpell mentioned, the rate of lucidity varies from person to person. For example, most of my dreams (that I remember) are lucid, although I have never been able to successfully change anything. If anything, it makes my nightmares even more terrifying, as I know that logic can't help me, and that I can never entirely outrun the monster.

With that over with, I like these rules, simple and efficient. I'm assuming that for the most part spell duplication isn't all that necessary, as most effects can fall under 'cause significant chance to dream.'
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    With that over with, I like these rules, simple and efficient. I'm assuming that for the most part spell duplication isn't all that necessary, as most effects can fall under 'cause significant chance to dream.'
    Actually, I was considering removal "cause significant change", because there's such a wide variety of possible changes that it seems a bit off to give all of it one static DC. I was just going to put in a few specific DCs for the more typical changes like creating objects, and leave it to "create spell effect" otherwise.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Umm... Why can't it be an untyped bonus?
    It could be but it is makes more sense to have it as an Insight bonus or a Circumstance bonus since it comes from having the skill. Untyped bonuses stack and this probably shouldn't.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    It could be but it is makes more sense to have it as an Insight bonus or a Circumstance bonus since it comes from having the skill. Untyped bonuses stack and this probably shouldn't.

Debby
    Um... It doesn't come from having the skill (Though I did make it Insight). It comes from the inherent instability of the fact that (at least in my interpretation) it's easier to stop yourself from changing than to change somebody else (Hence Insight - you know yourself). The skill can be used untrained for minor effects and defending yoursel-

Oh. I forgot to put that bit in, didn't I.

Yep. Oops.

----------

On another note, the class I was doing this rework for is... Well, it's nowhere near complete, but it is public. Here.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2012-11-17 at 01:36 PM.
    My Homebrew