New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Connection and Contention (IC)

Replying as Arlar to Zhin (Sir Spikes-a-lot):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zhin nods to the small shopkeep. Hm... That nugget appeared to be worth quite a lot more than I supposed... I only have one other, so it seems I'll have to take greater care with it. Time to cut to the point. Taking a deep breath, Zhin does his best to keep his spines flat as talks.

"I come from a distant land, of many miles... and years... distant. It is thus that I speak no word of your tongue here. There are several spells for such uses, and I desire one. It is no large thing, no onerous task to cast it. Perhaps the gold should suffice?" Foolish, foolish, warrior, you. Now that he knows you have at least one of these worthless chunks that he so values, he may seek others... and without appropriate reconnaissance of the prices here, you may well lose a sum...

Leaning back, Zhin decides to play it calm, and pops his knuckles in a manner either threatening or entirely at peace -interpretation to be left up to the shopkeep, it would seem.
    The magic shop owner scratched his head in slight confusion, and then held up a finger to beg a moment. The man cared not what land the thing was from, payment was more important. Since that was already taken care of, he needed to understand exactly what the polite monstrosity meant that he couldn't speak in Arlar's language, yet was. He cast detect magic and squinted at the customer for several moments. He saw now the figure before him had an enchantment on him, and based on the school of magic, it was all likelyhood a comprehend languages or some such. He realized this customer's time was urgent, and immediately Arlar got to work.

From under the counter he pulled out a scale, and quite a large book. He began flipping throught the pages one by one, many of which had each line neatly crossed out. Arlar feared the day the last of these lines would be. That would mean the end to the shop, at least eventually. He couldn't make the items himself, and his father who had made or traded for most of these items was long gone. Magic items were a pricey market these days, since magic in the city was so few and far between. There was alway Karl, but he charged an arm and a leg...not without good reason though. Though he was a bit eccentric, he was the best in the city. Most of the other ones were hackjobs and brigands. Still, pricey also worked in Arlar's favor, too. After all, he WAS selling the items.

"Ah ha!" Arlar exclaimed in a satisfied manner. Whoever said neatness didn't have its uses. "One moment."

Arlar placed the gold nugget on the scale, nudged around the weights a few times, and scribbled out a few numbers. Surprisingly, the nugget matched the price of the item he requested and almost exactly...well, that and the door. Arlar glanced mornfully at the splintered wreckage of his shop entry.

"Alright, so I do have what you're looking for, but it's in the back. I'm going to go get it. If you could please wait here, I'll be right with you."

The back of Arlar's shop was the opposite of the front. The front was filled with baubles and trinkets and whose-a-ma-whatsits, many held little or no magical properties. The front was a front against theft, or to get the window shoppers in. There wasn't much order or purpose other than a sort of color code. In the back, the truely magic items were alphabetically organized. They weren't labeled, but he knew which letter was where. Further, the shelves were 'Shelves of Holding'. This meant that if the letter had 50 items, or one, they all still fit. Arlar was fortunate to have dropped by Karl's one day for an order, and had noticed him dragging the shelves out to put in the trash. Karl wasn't really that fond of order, and stated he didn't really want them, he just thought they were a good idea at the time. Arlar offered to take them off his hands, almost bouncing with delight.

Arlar took from the 'B' shelf a gold bracelet. This should do the trick. He came to the front, and handed it to the spiked customer. He hoped it would fit on the wrist. The item did have a clasp and hinge, so at least it didn't slide on. Eyeing the spikes around the wrist area, it would not have fit over the hand. Perhaps it might fit on the forearm, however.

"Try that on. Hopefully it fits. It's the only one I have."
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-08-24 at 08:44 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zane
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    "Wait, is that a spell? That's a real miserable spell if I ever saw one. The ugly man sucks, big time. He should go home and cry for being a shame to every spellcaster in existence" he thought as he mentally shrugged off the puny spell that was trying to hold him captive. He had half a mind to revert to his favored form and pummel the idiot through a wall, but his plan with simple-minded Zane was already in motion, and he had one shot at it.

"AHHHH! THE EVIL MAN CASTED A SPELL AT ME!" he screamed the top of his female form's voice, trying to sound scared and desperate, which is a challenge when he's trying hard not to laugh.

Hugging Zane tightly in a warm embrace, she stuck her tongue out at Reynald, her facial shennanigans hidden to Zane by the hug.

The appearance of the spirit and the subsequent magic duel was the icing on top of one of the most eventful days of Zane's life. It was coming from the ring? He can feel the essence of the spirit against him, a comforting presence. But he wasn't born yesterday. He knew a thing or two about magical manipulation. He can feel himself coming back at the center. Taking off the ring, he holds it out in front of him. He shakes off Kim'Zahn, stepping to the side.
    "And you want me to do... what? Wish you free? That doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. If I do that, what is stopping you from destroying me and everything else here?"

Reynald
    The banker thinks wildly, considering his options. He could leave now with Kirin. That would be the end of his association with 'Zardek'. Clearly, the man was more than he appeared. Wish slaves were dangerous creatures, and the fact that he had one under his (unwilling) control was too much of a wild card. On the other hand, Zardek had to be either extremely lucky or talented to get a hold of a spirit such as this in the first place. Either alternative would suit Reynald in terms of the mission at hand. Five was better than four, after all. The only problem with either option was that Reynald did not know enough about what was going on. However, the situation was changing right in front of him. Taking the initiative, Reynald casts two spells almost simultaneously. The first is a subtle mesmerizing effect. The spirit would start to feel overconfident, all of its defenses seem insurmountable and all of its strengths unblockable. The ideal outcome would be for the wish slave to lower its guard. The next spell, on the other hand, is a more direct enchantment: a silence spell. The spirit would be unable to speak or use any of its inherent magical abilities for the next couple of minutes. Reynald smirks inwardly. While conjuration was definitely not his strength, in the schools of illusion and enchantment he was second in strength to nobody. With that obstacle out of the way, he nods to Kirin again, sending a brief telepathic command. She knocks into Zane, taking the artifact and tossing it away from him. It clinks as it bounces twice off the cobblestones.
    Let's see how you fare in a proper magician's engagement, otherworlder.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-24 at 03:10 PM.

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Missed too many posts to quote all of them, just quoting the last of the scene

Responding as Deneth to GreenWing and Sergeant Irena
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    Greenwing with Deneth and Irena

"Damn, mage-thief. Didn't realize we had a thief of that caliber running around. He's not with the Knaves, I know that. Don't ask me how I know. You don't want to know. Well, fellows, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go act on this intel immediately. There are certain forces I can tap into to help reduce the surprise of a mage quarry if I act swiftly. I'd strongly urge you bring me in if you corner him before I get back. House Astrine can contact me instantly if you get word to them. I've dealt with mages before. Now then, forgive the abruptness of my departure."

With that, Greenwing Drake vanishes from sight and flies off on silent wings.

He's flying over the city on his way to Old Town when he sees a woman appear out of thin air in the middle of one street on the way to East Gate.

Dear Tiamat, if this could be something very unrelated, I would be greatly overjoyed and happy right now. If that is not the efreeti being released, I promise to sacrifice at your temple for a week. He prays silently while perching on a nearby rooftop to observe.

Deneth frowned. A talented thief utilising magic AND ready to kill. Well... there goes any leniency he was planning to give to someone from robbing the Nobles. There was one thing to deal with a 'robin hood' type and another to just deal with a ruthless murderer that thought possessions was worth life.

He nodded simply to Greenwing as the man departed. They always had this opinion of each other... ever since that business with a marqueed agent being an assassin had become known in 'Duke' Deneths circle he knew not to trust any of them.

He turned to the Sergeant and smiled. The woman had once been under his command and had been an amazing officer. He was glad she was in this as she was competent and more importantly her nature let her go beyond the normal abilities of a Guardsman.

"How about anything... well... anything only YOU could sense Irena?" he asked her dropping his voice to a whisper.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Zhin, of the Heaven Clan
    Replying to Arlar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Replying as Arlar to Zhin (Sir Spikes-a-lot):

The magic shop owner scratched his head in slight confusion, and then held up a finger to beg a moment. The man cared not what land the thing was from, payment was more important. Since that was already taken care of, he needed to understand exactly what the polite monstrosity meant that he couldn't speak in Arlar's language, yet was. He cast detect magic and squinted at the customer for several moments. He saw now the figure before him had an enchantment on him, and based on the school of magic, it was all likelyhood a comprehend languages or some such. He realized this customer's time was urgent, and immediately Arlar got to work.

From under the counter he pulled out a scale, and quite a large book. He began flipping throught the pages one by one, many of which had each line neatly crossed out. Arlar feared the day the last of these lines would be. That would mean the end to the shop, at least eventually. He couldn't make the items himself, and his father who had made or traded for most of these items was long gone. Magic items were a pricey market these days, since magic in the city was so few and far between. There was alway Karl, but he charged an arm and a leg...not without good reason though. Though he was a bit eccentric, he was the best in the city. Most of the other ones were hackjobs and brigands. Still, pricey also worked in Arlar's favor, too. After all, he WAS selling the items.

"Ah ha!" Arlar exclaimed in a satisfied manner. Whoever said neatness didn't have its uses. "One moment."

Arlar placed the gold nugget on the scale, nudged around the weights a few times, and scribbled out a few numbers. Surprisingly, the nugget matched the price of the item he requested and almost exactly...well, that and the door. Arlar glanced mornfully at the splintered wreckage of his shop entry.

"Alright, so I do have what you're looking for, but it's in the back. I'm going to go get it. If you could please wait here, I'll be right with you."

The back of Arlar's shop was the opposite of the front. The front was filled with baubles and trinkets and whose-a-ma-whatsits, many held little or no magical properties. The front was a front against theft, or to get the window shoppers in. There wasn't much order or purpose other than a sort of color code. In the back, the truely magic items were alphabetically organized. They weren't labeled, but he knew which letter was where. Further, the shelves were 'Shelves of Holding'. This meant that if the letter had 50 items, or one, they all still fit. Arlar was fortunate to have dropped by Karl's one day for an order, and had noticed him dragging the shelves out to put in the trash. Karl wasn't really that fond of order, and stated he didn't really want them, he just thought they were a good idea at the time. Arlar offered to take them off his hands, almost bouncing with delight.

Arlar took from the 'B' shelf a gold bracelet. This should do the trick. He came to the front, and handed it to the spiked customer. He hoped it would fit on the wrist. The item did have a clasp and hinge, so at least it didn't slide on. Eyeing the spikes around the wrist area, it would not have fit over the hand. Perhaps it might fit on the forearm, however.

"Try that on. Hopefully it fits. It's the only one I have."

Thank you... perhaps ಆಹ್, ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು. ಈ ಬ್ರೇಸ್ಲೆಟ್ ಎಂದರೇನು? ಮಾಟ ಕೆಲವು ರೀತಿಯ? ನಾನು ಭರವಸೆ ಏನು, ಮಾನ್ಯರೇ, ಇದು ನಿಸ್ಸಂಶಯವಾಗಿ ಇದು ತುಂಬಾ ಅವಶ್ಯಕ ಎಂದು, ಶಾಶ್ವತ ...

ಪ್ರಿಯ ಓ.

ನಾನು ನಿಮ್ಮ ಭಾಷೆ ಮಾತನಾಡುವ ಉಡುಗೊರೆ ಕಳೆದುಕೊಂಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ ನಂಬುತ್ತಾರೆ. ಬಹುಶಃ ನೀವು ನನ್ನ ಕಡೆ ಬ್ರೇಸ್ಲೆಟ್ ಇಡಲು ಅವಕಾಶ ನೀಡುತ್ತದೆ?

ಈ ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ವಸ್ತುಗಳ ಒಂದು ದೂರದ ಅಪ್ ಕೆಳಗೆ ನಮ್ಮ ಅವರ ನಿರರ್ಗಳ ಸ್ಪೀಕರ್ ಮ್ಯಾಜಿಕ್ ಮಾಂತ್ರಿಕ ಜನರು ಸೈನ್ಯದ ನೌಕಾ ವಾಯು ನೌಕಾ ಸೈನಿಕ ಯೋಧ ಯೋಧ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ರಿಂದ ಬಳಿ ಹಸು ನಾಯಿ ಸ್ಕ್ವಿಡ್ ಎಣ್ಣೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ಟಫ್ ಸ್ಟಫ್ ಜನರ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ಸಂತೋಷದ ನೋವಿನ ಹಾಡು ಸೌತೆಕಾಯಿ ಜೋರಾಗಿ ಅಗ್ನಿಪರೀಕ್ಷೆ ಚಾರ್ಜ್ ಮುಖ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆಯನ್ನು ನಾನು ಹಿಂದೆಂದೂ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಿದ. ನಾನು ಅಮೆರಿಕಾದ ಜನರು ಒಂದು ಮಹಾನ್ ನಾಯಕ ಈಗಾಗಲೇ ನಿಮಿಷಕ್ಕೆ ಮೂನ್ನೂರಕ್ಕೂ ಹೆಚ್ಚು ಪದಗಳನ್ನು ನಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ಮಾತನಾಡಲು ಸಾಧ್ಯವಾಯಿತು ಎಂದು ಕೇಳಿದ. ನಾನು ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆಯೂ ಇರುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂಬುದನ್ನು ತಿಳಿದಿಲ್ಲ, ಆದರೆ ಇದು ಬಹಳ ಮಹಾಕೃತಿಯಾಗಿದೆ.

He pauses, unsure of himself. The language is foreign, to say the least. It doesn't even sound like he's using letters or pauses of any sort. Zhin's body jerks this way and that, becoming a living part of a complex, twisting, mime of the words of his tongue. Arlar's surprise is... audible.

Finishing his monologue, Zhin motions to the shopkeep for the bracelet, hoping to put it on and finish his words in a more understandable manner. Judging by this man's face, he has never heard of the language... not that I thought he would. The sad fate of Heaven Clan has left our great deeds untold by any bard... a fact that must be rectified. AFTER they are revenged.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-08-24 at 11:42 AM.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Arlar to Zhin (Mr. Babbles):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zhin, of the Heaven Clan
    Replying to Arlar

Thank you... perhaps ಆಹ್, ಧನ್ಯವಾದಗಳು. ಈ ಬ್ರೇಸ್ಲೆಟ್ ಎಂದರೇನು? ಮಾಟ ಕೆಲವು ರೀತಿಯ? ನಾನು ಭರವಸೆ ಏನು, ಮಾನ್ಯರೇ, ಇದು ನಿಸ್ಸಂಶಯವಾಗಿ ಇದು ತುಂಬಾ ಅವಶ್ಯಕ ಎಂದು, ಶಾಶ್ವತ ...

ಪ್ರಿಯ ಓ.

ನಾನು ನಿಮ್ಮ ಭಾಷೆ ಮಾತನಾಡುವ ಉಡುಗೊರೆ ಕಳೆದುಕೊಂಡಿದ್ದಾರೆ ನಂಬುತ್ತಾರೆ. ಬಹುಶಃ ನೀವು ನನ್ನ ಕಡೆ ಬ್ರೇಸ್ಲೆಟ್ ಇಡಲು ಅವಕಾಶ ನೀಡುತ್ತದೆ?

ಈ ಅತ್ಯಂತ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ವಸ್ತುಗಳ ಒಂದು ದೂರದ ಅಪ್ ಕೆಳಗೆ ನಮ್ಮ ಅವರ ನಿರರ್ಗಳ ಸ್ಪೀಕರ್ ಮ್ಯಾಜಿಕ್ ಮಾಂತ್ರಿಕ ಜನರು ಸೈನ್ಯದ ನೌಕಾ ವಾಯು ನೌಕಾ ಸೈನಿಕ ಯೋಧ ಯೋಧ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ರಿಂದ ಬಳಿ ಹಸು ನಾಯಿ ಸ್ಕ್ವಿಡ್ ಎಣ್ಣೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ಟಫ್ ಸ್ಟಫ್ ಜನರ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ಸಂತೋಷದ ನೋವಿನ ಹಾಡು ಸೌತೆಕಾಯಿ ಜೋರಾಗಿ ಅಗ್ನಿಪರೀಕ್ಷೆ ಚಾರ್ಜ್ ಮುಖ ಸಂಖ್ಯೆಯನ್ನು ನಾನು ಹಿಂದೆಂದೂ ಟೈಪ್ ಮಾಡಿದ. ನಾನು ಅಮೆರಿಕಾದ ಜನರು ಒಂದು ಮಹಾನ್ ನಾಯಕ ಈಗಾಗಲೇ ನಿಮಿಷಕ್ಕೆ ಮೂನ್ನೂರಕ್ಕೂ ಹೆಚ್ಚು ಪದಗಳನ್ನು ನಲ್ಲಿ ಯಾದೃಚ್ಛಿಕ ಮಾತನಾಡಲು ಸಾಧ್ಯವಾಯಿತು ಎಂದು ಕೇಳಿದ. ನಾನು ಸಾಧ್ಯತೆಯೂ ಇರುತ್ತದೆ ಎಂಬುದನ್ನು ತಿಳಿದಿಲ್ಲ, ಆದರೆ ಇದು ಬಹಳ ಮಹಾಕೃತಿಯಾಗಿದೆ.

He pauses, unsure of himself. The language is foreign, to say the least. It doesn't even sound like he's using letters or pauses of any sort. Zhin's body jerks this way and that, becoming a living part of a complex, twisting, mime of the words of his tongue. Arlar's surprise is... audible.

Finishing his monologue, Zhin motions to the shopkeep for the bracelet, hoping to put it on and finish his words in a more understandable manner. Judging by this man's face, he has never heard of the language... not that I thought he would. The sad fate of Heaven Clan has left our great deeds untold by any bard... a fact that must be rectified. AFTER they are revenged.
    Arlar became increasingly alarmed through the speech. What started as, "Um, excuse me? I can't understand you," became, "Uh...AH! AH! NO! DON'T KILL ME! I...WHAT! AGH!" Arlar ducked under the arm of the swinging, babbling customer in front of him. He wasn't sure why he was jerking and twisting like that, but it appeared he either was angry at the man for suggesting he wore jewelry or he had a strange way of showing appreciation. Either way, he couldn't understand anything the strange creature was saying. "Put on the...AH!(another duck)...THE BRACE-LET! PUT ON THE BRACELET!"

The shopkeep was not trained to speak to those who didn't know common, and certainly discovered that speaking loudly and slowly was about the worst thing to do to induce understanding. He wasn't getting through to the thing at all. Arlar pointed to his wrist, and then pointed at his customer. Then he motioned to the bracelet. Bracelet. Arm. Braaaaaaaacelet. Arrrrrrm. After some confusion, Arlar finally thought he might have gotten through to the creature. He seemed to have stopped his waving, at least. I need to find a new line of work, he thought.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Zhin leaps backwards, and begins to mutter curses under his breath. "ನೀವು ಯಾರು ತಿಳಿದಿರುವಿರಿ? ಗಂಭೀರವಾಗಿ, ನನಗೆ ದಾಳಿ? ಒಂದು ಯೋಧ? ಹೆವೆನ್ ಕ್ಲಾನ್ ನಾಶಕ,? ನೀವು ವಿಶ್ವಾಸಘಾತುಕ, ಫೂಲ್ ಮಾಡಲಾಗಿದೆ ವೇಳೆ, ನಾನು ನಿಮ್ಮ ದೇಹದ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಆತ್ಮದ ಬಲವಂತವಾಗಿ ಹರಿದುಹಾಕು, ಮತ್ತು ಎರಡೂ ನರಕ ನಾಶವಾಯಿತು ಬಿಟ್ಟುಹೋಗುತ್ತದೆ ....!"

The spikes on his body flare out, with a long, jagged blade extending from his arm. Zhin draws both his swords, and pauses. What if he's just unsure of what's happening? Perhaps he means no treachery... Glancing to the door, a lone figure stands there: no ambush, it would seem, even if the mysterious man was rather conspicuous. Take the bracelet, and see what he says...

The warrior sheathes one long blade, and clasps the bracelet around his sword arm, ever so carefully. The arcana weaves and binds around his arm, and slowly again does he hear the words.

"... the bracelet! PUT IT ON!"

"I have." Zhin bows. "Pardon me for causing such terror," he says in a quite conciliatory tone. Good, good. It seems that they are still terrified. That will be a tremendous help. "I would never seek to harm or frighten anyone, I assure you." Perhaps they are even afraid enough to allow me to destroy the spirit without question of its owner... I may have to intimidate a few more, but, no matter. He bows again, and steps backwards.

"Is there any more business to conduct? If not, I will be leaving your store, Master Arlar."

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiplanar View Post
    The appearance of the spirit and the subsequent magic duel was the icing on top of one of the most eventful days of Zane's life. It was coming from the ring? He can feel the essence of the spirit against him, a comforting presence. But he wasn't born yesterday. He knew a thing or two about magical manipulation. He can feel himself coming back at the center. Taking off the ring, he holds it out in front of him. He shakes off Kim'Zahn, stepping to the side.
    "And you want me to do... what? Wish you free? That doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. If I do that, what is stopping you from destroying me and everything else here?"
    Greenwing groans internally. His draconic senses picked up the fellow's words quite clearly. Unless there was ANOTHER wish-granting entity running around in his city, he'd bet his life on that being the thief in disguise.

Greenwing will flit off from his ivisible perch and head straight for the East Gate. While in midair, he has a rather irate conversation with his patron goddess. "I ask for one small favor: the thief NOT to find out about the efreeti. Was it too much to ask to ONLY have to go against a mage-thief? Did you HAVE to throw in a mad wish-granting fiend in the process?"

His rant going as unanswered as his earlier supplication, Greenwing will land on the gate and drop his invisibility as he shouts, "Guardsmen! House Astrine demands you compliance!"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Connection and Contention (IC) Now Open!

Replying as Ander to"The Three":
    Spoiler
    Show
    “Seeing is one thing, but what I was asking about was hearing,” Center says with an annoyed tone. The boy was spouting nonsense. Oracles? Great place of wall, locks, and shadows? The hang ups in the boys profile were coming to light. He hears voices- that I know…but crazy people have their uses. The trick is, do they help or hinder him? That’s not something they’d likely find out in an interview. He needed an audition. Something where he could be watched, maybe even advised. Ah ha!

“No matter,” he said before the boy could say anything. “Tell me about YOUR reasons for being here. I don’t care if it’s a condition your uncle has put forth. Why do YOU want to be here? This isn’t a charity. I’m not taking in someone just because they were forced to apply.” He needed to know the boy was loyal to them-especially in times where members of the society were snatched out from under their noses.

Ander stared back at the man in the center, he did not seem to take his comments seriously, or did not care, he wants to know why I am here, my own reasons. words begin to float into his conciousnes "tell them..." He pushes the presence back, and opens his mouth to speak " I am here because this is a place were men with goals and ambitions meet to support each other, I may seem like a naive fool in a fancy shirt, or an inane lunatic, but I have plans and goals, and this is the place to have them fulfilled, and I am more than willing to pull in excess of my weight for the promise of kind in the future. I realize that this is not a part time thing, and I will need to exert myself to my tasks before I get the freedom to realize my own part, and need to gain your trust before I can use your resources, that is as it should be, I humbly ask for the opportunity to do that. " he hopes they don't mind longwindedness. The pressure on his mind seemed to ease, he had the nagging feeling that that particular spirit was trying to doom him, he wondered how many had fallen into such a snare without even knowing it. The stone walls continued to press in on him and his composure almost faltered, only to be reassured by a feeling of familiarity, ah, he thought, old friends from home, thank you.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Seeing the spirit subdued and the magical anchor out of the picture for now, Reynald walks over to where the other man is standing. Kirin stands close by, prepared to intervene. Her blades aren't drawn yet, but Reynald knows exactly how quickly that could change. Looking right at him, the banker wonders how he could have been fooled for even a minute. So, this was Edward Zane, the thief.
    "Listen to me. I know who you are, but right now I honestly don't care about that. You can either honor your agreement with me, or go your own way. However, I will not not be impeded by your status in this city. Now, we have not been gifted with an overabundance of time. That little display is bound to attract attention. I will cast an illusion on you, to render you undetectable to sight, sound and smell. It will only last for about an hour, but that should be enough time to make your escape. Follow me, or don't. The choice is yours." It takes him a bit longer to prepare this particular spell, being slightly more complicated than any of the others he had cast today. Even as the spell leaves his body, the banker can no longer perceive Zane. Unfortunately, he could already begin to feel the effects of using too much magic on his body. His breathing was shallower, his skin paler. He coughs twice, red spots on his hands. There was little else that Reynald would be able to accomplish today, in terms of slinging about spells. Seeing nothing else to do, he begins to walk towards the East Gate, leaning on Kirin for support. Hopefully, the others would be -
    Sir. We might have a problem.
    Well? Has Malenth arrived? Do you have the gear and the mounts?
    Yes, but that's not it. Someone else is here, rallying the guard. I don't know if it is at all connected to what is going on there, but I would hurry. They seem anxious.
    What does this person look like? Do you recognize them?
    Well, he is small and scaly. At a guess, I would say that he is a halfling with some draconic heritage, but I've been wrong before.
    I know exactly who that is.
    Reynald had been doing business in Aldhaven long enough to hear the stories of House Astrine and its boogeyman advisor, Greenwing Drake. If his suspicions were correct, and Drake was after Zane for the theft, then Reynald was in a great deal more trouble than he had previously estimated. He motions for Kirin to hurry, the woman quickening her pace and the pair closing in on the East Gate. It would only take another five minutes or so anyhow.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-25 at 09:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show

The banker thinks wildly, considering his options. He could leave now with Kirin. That would be the end of his association with 'Zardek'. Clearly, the man was more than he appeared. Wish slaves were dangerous creatures, and the fact that he had one under his (unwilling) control was too much of a wild card. On the other hand, Zardek had to be either extremely lucky or talented to get a hold of a spirit such as this in the first place. Either alternative would suit Reynald in terms of the mission at hand. Five was better than four, after all. The only problem with either option was that Reynald did not know enough about what was going on. However, the situation was changing right in front of him. Taking the initiative, Reynald casts two spells almost simultaneously. The first is a subtle mesmerizing effect. The spirit would start to feel overconfident, all of its defenses seem insurmountable and all of its strengths unblockable. The ideal outcome would be for the wish slave to lower its guard. The next spell, on the other hand, is a more direct enchantment: a silence spell. The spirit would be unable to speak or use any of its inherent magical abilities for the next couple of minutes. Reynald smirks inwardly. While conjuration was definitely not his strength, in the schools of illusion and enchantment he was second in strength to nobody. With that obstacle out of the way, he nods to Kirin again, sending a brief telepathic command. She knocks into Zane, taking the artifact and tossing it away from him. It clinks as it bounces twice off the cobblestones.
    Let's see how you fare in a proper magician's engagement, otherworlder.

KimZahn grins, feeling a rush of euphoria as he slowly tricks his way to free himself. This is almost too easy! All he had to do was to convince Zane a little further...

She opened her mouth, but not a sound came out. Frowning, her mouth opens and closes like a fish, but as much as he tried, no sound was forthcoming.

And then, the bracelet hit the cobblestones.

Pushing Zane away, he furiously turned on the only spellcaster in he had seen in this group. "It's you, isn't it...you did something, didn't you? she tried to say as he stalked towards him. Staring him straight in the eye, he tried to call upon his innate abilities to warp to his true form, the might KimZahn, in all his muscular glory.

But this was not to be.

But he is KimZahn! Mighty Efreeti, conquerer of the planes, master and torturer of Djinn and others like him! HUMANS ARE SMALL FRY. But no matter how hard he tried, he could not revert to his favored form.

Staring angrily at the spellcaster, he did the only thing the red mist of rage told me to do in such a circumstance. He lobbed a kick in Reynard, aiming straight for the crotch, before storming off the Kirin, and tried to give her a good slap for knocking away his container. He would not suffer another thousand years stuck in some goddamn sewer or in some feline's stomach.

NEVER.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Iothfrahar

Taking a few hours break from his current job Iothfrahar walks to some of the job boards in the different districts, nailing a piece of parchment to each one. The parchment reads Looking for two to six experienced in combat to travel east to kill a dragon. Apply at The Bear Necesity. Ask for Fintir. after he nails a few of the posters up he takes the form of a large hawk and flies back to The Bear Necesity, changing back to his dragonborn form when he lands in front of it. He walks back in, pours himself a mug of ale, and gets back to work.
    Last edited by The Bandicoot; 2012-08-26 at 01:18 PM.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

12. - Top - End - #102
    Firbolg in the Playground

Reply from Gyork to Wilstaff:
    Gyork is surprised by the sudden turn of events. From his perch in the rocks, he watches two individuals of the hobgoblin camp riding toward his camp. Just two.

"What are these two characters trying to pull?" Gyork removes a phial of water and a basin from his bag and pours the liquid in. After a few incantaions murmured under his breath, the water stills and the two slow moving members of the Hob' Clan come into view. "Better warn the camp, Tonda. We have some uninvited guests."

Tonda hurried off, disappearing around the bend. Judging by the speed the strangers were traveling, she would reach the clan before they did. Aside from the cries of unhappiness from the hobgoblin, the two weren't discussing anything that might give themselves away. He let the spell go and climbed a little higher on the rocks.

Through his spyglass he watched Tonda finish threading her way through the outcroppings. She moved quickly for one of her size, and he was pleased to see her make it to the camp ahead of the two. Grenier appeared from his tent, and walked out to meet the two, with one of his guards. Looks like they were going to try diplomacy. Surely two members of a clan were sent to make some sort of offer of alliance. Whatever the case, it took balls to walk to a potential enemies camp unsupported. He couldn't help but wonder if they had an exit strategy. He focused on the pool in front of him, and watched it ripple and then still once more. This time he focused on his Clan leader - Grenier. He was just slowing as the two opposing clans met, just outside the Halfling camp. Guards were watchful but kept thier distance.

If Gyork could describe the two Hobgoblin members, "strange" would downright be an understatement. One didn't talk at all, the other spoke in a conflicted nature. One moment he was saying that he surrendered, the next, asking Grenier TO surrender. Gyork liked this less and less. He assumed Tonda had told Grenier the size and organization of the Hobgoblin camp. If the Hobs and them battled, it would be heavy losses on both sides. The Halflings likely would not benefit, even if they did win. Easy pickings for another clan. Grenier certainly didn't look happy. Ultimatums. Gotta love em.

Grenier spoke a word of introduction to him and his personal guard, Jethos. Seeing as time was of the essence, he got straight down to business. "What kind of 'exorbitant wage' are we talking about, Wilstaff?" Grenier looked wary to Gyork, and well so. The non-assuming pair from the Hob clan provided ample threats, but they were only two. Still, the Halflings were not unfamilar with the power of the clan. After all, there used to be an orc clan in the area the Hobs were now residing. This wasn not an empty threat.
    Wilstaff claps his hands with manic glee.

Negotiations! My very favoritest part! We're going to play a little game, Greeny. My comrade here is thinking of a number. You have to guess what it is. Guess at or above it, and you win semi-exclusive rights to our services for a time period of our choosing for that number amount in gold. Guess a bit below, and we will simply smile and let you try again. Guess too far below, however, and we will be insulted. And although I have thick skin, my friend here...well, that's definitely not true in his case. And I'm afraid as payment for the insult I'll be forced to kill you, Mr. Green Machine, as well as a dozen or so of your closest friends. Not closest by emotional bonds, mind you, just geographical proximity.

Wilstaff then leans in close to the halfling. and whispers in his ear with quiet menace.

And a word of advice, my viridian friend: I. Don't. Miss.

He taps his walking stick on the ground for emphasis on each of the last three words. The advisor then straightens back up and smiles jovially at the assembled halflings, and begins to openly converse with his silent comrade about which of the halfling women they could see were, quote, "the most squinchable".

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Arlar to Zhin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zhin leaps backwards, and begins to mutter curses under his breath. "ನೀವು ಯಾರು ತಿಳಿದಿರುವಿರಿ? ಗಂಭೀರವಾಗಿ, ನನಗೆ ದಾಳಿ? ಒಂದು ಯೋಧ? ಹೆವೆನ್ ಕ್ಲಾನ್ ನಾಶಕ,? ನೀವು ವಿಶ್ವಾಸಘಾತುಕ, ಫೂಲ್ ಮಾಡಲಾಗಿದೆ ವೇಳೆ, ನಾನು ನಿಮ್ಮ ದೇಹದ ನಿಮ್ಮ ಆತ್ಮದ ಬಲವಂತವಾಗಿ ಹರಿದುಹಾಕು, ಮತ್ತು ಎರಡೂ ನರಕ ನಾಶವಾಯಿತು ಬಿಟ್ಟುಹೋಗುತ್ತದೆ ....!"

The spikes on his body flare out, with a long, jagged blade extending from his arm. Zhin draws both his swords, and pauses. What if he's just unsure of what's happening? Perhaps he means no treachery... Glancing to the door, a lone figure stands there: no ambush, it would seem, even if the mysterious man was rather conspicuous. Take the bracelet, and see what he says...

The warrior sheathes one long blade, and clasps the bracelet around his sword arm, ever so carefully. The arcana weaves and binds around his arm, and slowly again does he hear the words.

"... the bracelet! PUT IT ON!"

"I have." Zhin bows. "Pardon me for causing such terror," he says in a quite conciliatory tone. Good, good. It seems that they are still terrified. That will be a tremendous help. "I would never seek to harm or frighten anyone, I assure you." Perhaps they are even afraid enough to allow me to destroy the spirit without question of its owner... I may have to intimidate a few more, but, no matter. He bows again, and steps backwards.

"Is there any more business to conduct? If not, I will be leaving your store, Master Arlar."
    Finally the point had been conveyed. Arlar breathed a sigh of relief.

"Ah, thank you." He quickly jotted a notation in his book, regarding the details of the object. "Now, as law requires, I must have your name for my records, and your country of residence. Then you sign here using this," he provides a quill, already inked, "and that should be the last of it! You gold here actually just takes care of both the door and your item. Though if you have any more of these, I'd suggest getting it exchanged for actual coins. Not all have the items neccesary to appraise."

Arlar really needed to find some extra help. He would have to close the store to find someone to fix the door, but how could he close the shop with the door in disrepair. Maybe after the customer left, he'd try and snag someone to assist him from the passers by. Surely someone would be interested in a small and profitable task.

Replying as East Gate Guards to Greenwing Drake:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greenwing groans internally. His drac
    onic senses picked up the fellow's words quite clearly. Unless there was ANOTHER wish-granting entity running around in his city, he'd bet his life on that being the thief in disguise.

Greenwing will flit off from his ivisible perch and head straight for the East Gate. While in midair, he has a rather irate conversation with his patron goddess. "I ask for one small favor: the thief NOT to find out about the efreeti. Was it too much to ask to ONLY have to go against a mage-thief? Did you HAVE to throw in a mad wish-granting fiend in the process?"

His rant going as unanswered as his earlier supplication, Greenwing will land on the gate and drop his invisibility as he shouts, "Guardsmen! House Astrine demands you compliance!"
    Aldhaven's east gate was one of three gates that accessed Aldhaven city proper. It was by no means the busiest of the three, but the amount of traders and travelers had increased as harvest season was upon the realm. Inside the gate ran one of the busiest streets in the city - Market Street. This road marked the divide between the North and South Market district. Outside the wall, temporary and not so temporary structures stood. Mainly these structures we outfitters for travelers. Once upon a time, all of these structures had been temporary, it's peddlers and tradesmen commuting from within the city or a village nearby, but now it was a settlement of its own. What was promising to be normal day at the east gate was ruined by a certain small, green, and angry representative of the House Astrine.

"Guardsmen! House Astrine demands you compliance!"

The guards complied, none the less. Duty was duty. The superior officer to the forces watching over the gate instructed the guards to hold traffic in and out of the gate, and stepped up to Advisor Greenwing to ask what the emergency was. While Greenwing gave his instructions, people wishing to come and go from the city began to build up. Not all were likely to be compliant. Already, looks of frustration were appearing on people's faces.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-08-27 at 08:55 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Replying as East Gate Guards to Greenwing Drake:

Aldhaven's east gate was one of three gates that accessed Aldhaven city proper. It was by no means the busiest of the three, but the amount of traders and travelers had increased as harvest season was upon the realm. Inside the gate ran one of the busiest streets in the city - Market Street. This road marked the divide between the North and South Market district. Outside the wall, temporary and not so temporary structures stood. Mainly these structures we outfitters for travelers. Once upon a time, all of these structures had been temporary, it's peddlers and tradesmen commuting from within the city or a village nearby, but now it was a settlement of its own. What was promising to be normal day at the east gate was ruined by a certain small, green, and angry representative of the House Astrine.

"Guardsmen! House Astrine demands you compliance!"

The guards complied, none the less. Duty was duty. The superior officer to the forces watching over the gate instructed the guards to hold traffic in and out of the gate, and stepped up to Advisor Greenwing to ask what the emergency was. While Greenwing gave his instructions, people wishing to come and go from the city began to build up. Not all were likely to be compliant. Already, looks of frustration were appearing on people's faces.
    Greenwing Drake

Glad to be dealing with grunts who just complied with orders instead of griping about him being a marqued agent, he says "A notorious criminal who stole several valuable heirlooms from the Council of Ten may be passing through the gates very soon. If you wouldn't mind searching anyone passing through to see if they have the relics."

He describes the man that he saw the magical poofing-into-existence-girl cling to, as well as each of the items stolen.

"Also, please detain anyone matching the description of the man I gave you, as well as confiscating and holding any of the relics mentioned until they can be verified. If you could be so kind as to pass word on to the other gates as well to be on the lookout for this man, I would appreciate that. The guard who catches the thief and returns the Cup of Astrid to House Astrine will have Countess Jana's personal gratitude. Unless you gentlemen object, I will wait nearby just in case you run into trouble with the thief. We think he might have some magical talent."

Greenwing figures that either the thief will use the efreeti to get out of this trap and he'll be able to positively identify him or he won't and he'll be caught. He trusts his own talents to be a match for any mage. It has been decades since he's met a mage of truly great caliber that would give him a run for his money. He disappears from view once again and perches on the nearest rooftop to see if his trap works.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as "The Three" to Ander:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exalaber View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ander stared back at the man in the center, he did not seem to take his comments seriously, or did not care, he wants to know why I am here, my own reasons. words begin to float into his conciousnes "tell them..." He pushes the presence back, and opens his mouth to speak " I am here because this is a place were men with goals and ambitions meet to support each other, I may seem like a naive fool in a fancy shirt, or an inane lunatic, but I have plans and goals, and this is the place to have them fulfilled, and I am more than willing to pull in excess of my weight for the promise of kind in the future. I realize that this is not a part time thing, and I will need to exert myself to my tasks before I get the freedom to realize my own part, and need to gain your trust before I can use your resources, that is as it should be, I humbly ask for the opportunity to do that. " he hopes they don't mind longwindedness. The pressure on his mind seemed to ease, he had the nagging feeling that that particular spirit was trying to doom him, he wondered how many had fallen into such a snare without even knowing it. The stone walls continued to press in on him and his composure almost faltered, only to be reassured by a feeling of familiarity, ah, he thought, old friends from home, thank you.
    Right spoke for the first time since the interview had started. "Motion to approve application," he said shortly. The other two looked at him in masked surprise, and shared approved the motion. The society had gained another member. Each member then stood, waiting for Ander to do the same, and then led him out of the room, up the narrow stair they had assended earlier, though turned down a corridor before reaching the top. Two lefts, a right, and a spiral stair case later and they were headed down the corridor toward the Binding Shrine. They stop at a pair of ornate doors, a set of armor on either side. A twinge tells Ander that something is different about these suits, but the spirits do not seem to be saying much about them.

"This is the Hall of Transcription. Here, you will promise yourself to the society. Are you ready?"

World Building Projects:
    Magic

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post

KimZahn grins, feeling a rush of euphoria as he slowly tricks his way to free himself. This is almost too easy! All he had to do was to convince Zane a little further...

She opened her mouth, but not a sound came out. Frowning, her mouth opens and closes like a fish, but as much as he tried, no sound was forthcoming.

And then, the bracelet hit the cobblestones.

Pushing Zane away, he furiously turned on the only spellcaster in he had seen in this group. "It's you, isn't it...you did something, didn't you? she tried to say as he stalked towards him. Staring him straight in the eye, he tried to call upon his innate abilities to warp to his true form, the might KimZahn, in all his muscular glory.

But this was not to be.

But he is KimZahn! Mighty Efreeti, conquerer of the planes, master and torturer of Djinn and others like him! HUMANS ARE SMALL FRY. But no matter how hard he tried, he could not revert to his favored form.

Staring angrily at the spellcaster, he did the only thing the red mist of rage told him to do in such a circumstance. He lobbed a kick in Reynard, aiming straight for the crotch, before storming off the Kirin, and tried to give her a good slap for knocking away his container. He would not suffer another thousand years stuck in some goddamn sewer or in some feline's stomach.

NEVER.

Upon the attack of the spirit, Reynald cannot suppress a grunt of pain. Honestly, while it had been a long time since he used that particular area, being a man hurt sometimes. This definitely counted as one such occasion. Barely able to stand, he leans more actively on Kirin, who was actually able to fight off the efreeti's assault. Together, they continue to move towards the East Gate and out of the spirit's range. After all, it could only travel so far from the anchor of its essence.
    By all the gods, that thing packs a powerful kick! At the very least, hopefully we will be out of the city soon, and away from that lunatic. My plans have been ruined enough for one day. He grumbles softly, ignoring the curious looks that his associate is sending his way. As he walks, he can feel the cool metal of Kirin's sword hilts pressing into his side. Eventually, it all becomes too much to bear. He tries to stand on his own, nearly collapsing of exhaustion. The street expands and contracts around him, features blurring into void before exploding into painful contrast. He vomits.

That hand on his shoulder - how long has it been there? An hour? A day? An eternity? Reynald could no longer tell the difference. However, a will born of many years stirs within him, and he grabs the outstretched palm to stand. Finally, everything seems to be returning to him. He takes a moment to assess his surroundings. Ahead, in the distance, the banker can spot the telltale crenelations that mark Aldhaven's outer wall. The East Gate was close. Kirin stands several feet away, a look of barely disguised concern on her face. All around them, the streets have become more congested, the angry hornet's nest of society. Apparently, something up ahead has bothered them. Praying to whatever power will listen to him that Malenth and Arlin are already outside the walls, Reynald begins to press through the crowd towards the gate.
    Nearly there.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-27 at 09:44 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Irena to Deneth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Monodominant View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Deneth frowned. A talented thief utilising magic AND ready to kill. Well... there goes any leniency he was planning to give to someone from robbing the Nobles. There was one thing to deal with a 'robin hood' type and another to just deal with a ruthless murderer that thought possessions was worth life.

He nodded simply to Greenwing as the man departed. They always had this opinion of each other... ever since that business with a marqueed agent being an assassin had become known in 'Duke' Deneths circle he knew not to trust any of them.

He turned to the Sergeant and smiled. The woman had once been under his command and had been an amazing officer. He was glad she was in this as she was competent and more importantly her nature let her go beyond the normal abilities of a Guardsman.

"How about anything... well... anything only YOU could sense Irena?" he asked her dropping his voice to a whisper.
    Apparently, the bodies spoke for themselves.

Irena frowned as she watched the Marque of Astrine depart. He hadn't even gone up to the vault area or looked over the scene for clues. She looked around the murder scene and side entrance to the vault building and briefly wondered what he might have and that she had missed. Or perhaps he knew something she did not. Inclusion apparently did not go both ways. She led Captain Deneth as they talked to the vaults where theft had occured, leaving the murder scene behind. She nodded to guards as she passed through a door which led to the Astrine vault. They saluted as she passed.

"How about anything... well... anything only YOU could sense Irena?"

Irena smiled conspiratorily. "That particular talent of mine is the reason we figured out his name," she murmured. "Our thief has an ego. Too bad Greenwing left, he'd have liked to have seen this." They entered the Astrine vault room, which had several guards stationed around it, and a member of the House Astrine was taking inventory of the items. She picked up a paper that had been set aside from the other objects in the vault.

"Take a look." She handed him the paper.

Once opened, Deneth will find a note written in loopy script. The note reads:
    Give my regards to Lady Astrine.
    ~Edward Zane

"Our thief left us a calling card."

World Building Projects:
    Magic

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

KimZahn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon the attack of the spirit, Reynald cannot suppress a grunt of pain. Honestly, while it had been a long time since he used that particular area, being a man hurt sometimes. This definitely counted as one such occasion. Barely able to stand, he leans more actively on Kirin, who was actually able to fight off the efreeti's assault. Together, they continue to move towards the East Gate and out of the spirit's range. After all, it could only travel so far from the anchor of its essence.
    By all the gods, that thing packs a powerful kick! At the very least, hopefully we will be out of the city soon, and away from that lunatic. My plans have been ruined enough for one day. He grumbles softly, ignoring the curious looks that his associate is sending his way. As he walks, he can feel the cool metal of Kirin's sword hilts pressing into his side. Eventually, it all becomes too much to bear. He tries to stand on his own, nearly collapsing of exhaustion. The street expands and contracts around him, features blurring into void before exploding into painful contrast. He vomits.

That hand on his shoulder - how long has it been there? An hour? A day? An eternity? Reynald could no longer tell the difference. However, a will born of many years stirs within him, and he grabs the outstretched palm to stand. Finally, everything seems to be returning to him. He takes a moment to assess his surroundings. Ahead, in the distance, the banker can spot the telltale crenelations that mark Aldhaven's outer wall. The East Gate was close. Kirin stands several feet away, a look of barely disguised concern on her face. All around them, the streets have become more congested, the angry hornet's nest of society. Apparently, something up ahead has bothered them. Praying to whatever power will listen to him that Malenth and Arlin are already outside the walls, Reynald begins to press through the crowd towards the gate.
    Nearly there.

Whoever made the bracelet was a genious. The countless spells and counterspells that make up KimZahn's earthy prison limits the efreeti, using his own power against him to power the many arcane symbols that hold the Efreeti in check. Although the bonds are weakening, so is KimZahn, as much as he hates to admit it. But there will come a day that he'll be free. But today's not that day.

And so, as the Efreeti struggles against the spells, both new and old, he tires, and the bracelet established its authority once more.

As he tried to follow the accursed spellcaster for another quick shot, he bumps into what seems to be an invisible wall, and try as he might, he was slowly, inexorably drawn back towards the ring, as if by some unnatural force of gravity. He stares angrily at the world at large, and all that has conspired against him, before the female forms dissolves into smoke, the faint threads flowing back into the ring. There was no use resisting, and so he did not. He would plot, and gather his strength, and overcome the boundaries one day. And maybe he could still get Zane to help him. But then again, his rage still fuels his thoughts. He will decide on what to do with that human when the time comes.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Replying as Arlar to Zhin:

Finally the point had been conveyed. Arlar breathed a sigh of relief.

"Ah, thank you." He quickly jotted a notation in his book, regarding the details of the object. "Now, as law requires, I must have your name for my records, and your country of residence. Then you sign here using this," he provides a quill, already inked, "and that should be the last of it! You gold here actually just takes care of both the door and your item. Though if you have any more of these, I'd suggest getting it exchanged for actual coins. Not all have the items neccesary to appraise."

Arlar really needed to find some extra help. He would have to close the store to find someone to fix the door, but how could he close the shop with the door in disrepair. Maybe after the customer left, he'd try and snag someone to assist him from the passers by. Surely someone would be interested in a small and profitable task.

"Indeed... my name and origin is yours, good Arlar." Taking the quill, he leaves "ZHIN, WARRIOR OF THE HEAVEN CLAN, DESTROYER OF SPIRITS AND SAVIOR OF WORLDS." emblazoned neatly on the ledger, taking up at least four or five lines more than it should. "I pardon you for not having my full name," he says, thinking, "As I think would fill up far too much of your book. I understand that you must do business, and thus leave you with but a mere shell of truth. It should, however, suffice?" He pauses for a moment, and adds in another flourish.

The poor, mauled ledger finally reads:
    ZHIN, WARRIOR OF THE HEAVEN CLAN, DESTROYER OF SPIRITS AND SAVIOR OF WORLDS, GUARDIAN OF THE DESERT AND LORD OF WASTELANDS.

"That, good man, is where I live." Without another word, he spins and walks out of the door, leaving another set of scars, and a quite confused shopkeeper.

Spoiler
    Show

Calicade, this is where I hit yo u, I think.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

20. - Top - End - #110

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show

Nearly there.

Approaching the east gate, Malenth doesn't see any sign of Arlin in the commotion.

That makes sense I guess. She would have headed out of the gate when this mess started. It's what I would do.

Cursing his luck for not having a symbol of authority that would allow him to circumvent the blockade, Malenth looks around for a way past, Thinking diplomatically rather than stealthily for now. Better not to give the authorities cause to give chase.

Malenth ducks and weaves through the crowd, trying to make his way through as quickly as possible. Time was of the essence, so waiting patiently seemed like a poor decision when traffic was being slowed to a near halt.
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2012-08-27 at 02:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show
    Zhin

Maticus stood with his arms crossing over his chest, and his hands digging into the chainmail of his biceps waiting all so impatiently for the possible informant. He counted the seconds until the large man finally turned to leave the building, uttering plenty of foul things that had very little necessity.

Placing himself to where he could perfectly intercept the man before he left the area, Maticus sized the man up the best he could with the information he had. He was tall, spiked, and mean looking, but the sense of pride he had about him intrigued a different sense of Maticus’s own origin in this hunt.

Maticus stood before the large man, and just as the big man almost passed him up he stood in front of him with a gauntleted hand out. The gauntlets of Maticus Grap had a certain wickedness to their metal. All along the hand and up to the back of his palm were ridges of metal that fit perfectly into the craftsmanship. They looked sharp, and Maticus looked perfectly content in it.

“I believe we may be here under the same interest.” Maticus stood there for a moment lowering his hand and staring at the man and slowly adding with a voice of strength.
    “Ask any questions you must, but I have a feeling that you may find only that which you can agree with. With that I must ask you to accept a possible partnership in pursuing of this similar interest?” Maticus’s face held a sort of inquisitive look to it as he held one brow raised and a straight emotionless jaw.
    Last edited by Calicade; 2012-08-27 at 09:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as East Gate Guard to Greenwing:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greenwing Drake

Glad to be dealing with grunts who just complied with orders instead of griping about him being a marqued agent, he says "A notorious criminal who stole several valuable heirlooms from the Council of Ten may be passing through the gates very soon. If you wouldn't mind searching anyone passing through to see if they have the relics."

He describes the man that he saw the magical poofing-into-existence-girl cling to, as well as each of the items stolen.

"Also, please detain anyone matching the description of the man I gave you, as well as confiscating and holding any of the relics mentioned until they can be verified. If you could be so kind as to pass word on to the other gates as well to be on the lookout for this man, I would appreciate that. The guard who catches the thief and returns the Cup of Astrid to House Astrine will have Countess Jana's personal gratitude. Unless you gentlemen object, I will wait nearby just in case you run into trouble with the thief. We think he might have some magical talent."

Greenwing figures that either the thief will use the efreeti to get out of this trap and he'll be able to positively identify him or he won't and he'll be caught. He trusts his own talents to be a match for any mage. It has been decades since he's met a mage of truly great caliber that would give him a run for his money. He disappears from view once again and perches on the nearest rooftop to see if his trap works.
    The leader of the guards looked around, and then looked helplessly at the Advisor.

"I cannot really spare the men to send word to the other gates AND carry out your first request. However, I'm sure if the Noble District is taking care of things, word will reach them in shorter order than I could manage."

The guards below at the gate began filtering people through the gate going out of town, and letting through incoming peoples without inspection. Those leaving the city they scrutinized based on the description given, so those of obvious different race were let through. Human men and women were expected to show ID, and men in particular were expected to show thier bags as they exited. Several people were taken into custody when they argued or resisted the guards, and some were giving up on waiting on the gate all together, turning back into the city to wait out the traffic, or find a different route out.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Greenwing Drake at the East Gate

Greenwing will let the gate grunts arrest the people without interfering unless his quarry is arrested. He has no need to help them carry out their duties in quieting unruly people. He sees no reason to break his invisibility casually.

He does think it the most hilarious thing though the number of crooks that get caught in his trap besides his quarry. Amateurs, the lot of them. Only morons go through the risk of overt crime without official backing.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    Spoiler
    Show

The leader of the guards looked around, and then looked helplessly at the Advisor.

"I cannot really spare the men to send word to the other gates AND carry out your first request. However, I'm sure if the Noble District is taking care of things, word will reach them in shorter order than I could manage."

The guards below at the gate began filtering people through the gate going out of town, and letting through incoming peoples without inspection. Those leaving the city they scrutinized based on the description given, so those of obvious different race were let through. Human men and women were expected to show ID, and men in particular were expected to show their bags as they exited. Several people were taken into custody when they argued or resisted the guards, and some were giving up on waiting on the gate all together, turning back into the city to wait out the traffic, or find a different route out.

As the pair approach the gate, the banker begins to slow down. Obviously, there was a roadblock of some sort up ahead. Wonderful. Looking around, Reynald spots Malenth passing through the gate, and the silhouette of Arlin on the other side. The mage stands near the stables that inhabit the space just outside the walls. Indeed, there are five horses tied to a pole only several feet away, saddlebags visibly full. His robes are bathed in the sunlight of freedom, however temporarily.
    Can you tell me what is going on, Arlin?
    Well, the guards have set up a cordon. So far, they have actually managed to stop quite a few criminals leaving the city. However, I was already through before they set it up. Human males seem to be the target demographic, from what I have observed.
    What about the dragon fellow?
    He disappeared after talking to the captain. He seems to be calling the shots, but I think he's long gone.
    Hmmm. Keep an eye out. We will be through shortly.
    Having nothing else to say at current, Reynald files through the crowd towards the portal. Kirin is not far behind him, of course. Should he make it through without incident, he is resolved to rendez-vous with the others and move away from Aldhaven's proximity. There were simply too many watching eyes and shifty tongues there for his liking. As he is engulfed by the shadow of the gate, Reynald takes a deep breath.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-27 at 07:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Venn
    It had been a long trip from Loseptos. Three weeks, six days, and eleven hours, to be precise. As Sarah walks down the dirt road, she can almost feel the grit staining her clothes and her hair. How long had it been since she had had a bath? Of course, her mind immediately drifts to personal hygiene and the lengths one must take to ensure proper routines. Her years at the academy had left her with something, at least. Best not to dwell on such things. While brushing a lock of honey-blonde hair out of her eyes, Sarah takes a moment to look out at the horizon. From where she sat, she could barely make out the distant walls and spires of Brunsgrove. She was getting close now. How long would it take them? Would she have enough money to set herself up as a regular at an inn? Most importantly, would the agent give her more room to breathe? All of these questions, and no one was there to answer them. That last one was particularly pressing. It had been almost two weeks until she noticed the presence. They were there, she knew it. Watching. Thankfully, her modesty had so far been preserved (thanks mostly to her own efforts). Whoever they had assigned to watch her wasn't allowed to peep when she was indisposed. Sarah finds herself wondering... who was it? Tyrus? Had they assigned someone else? It was all idle speculation anyhow. The sun on her closing eyelids snaps her out of her guessing game, bringing her surroundings back into focus. It all takes her a minute, so much so that she nearly misses the question directed at her.
    "Excuse me? That will be five silver pieces, miss."
    "Oh yes, of course. Here you are." Handing the caravan master his fare for the remainder of the journey, Sarah tries to hold back a wince. Her Inner Sight had flashed several hours ago, revealing the middle-class halfling as a gambler and a wife-beater. She cannot even bear to touch him, instead dropping the coins in his hand. Wrapping her traveling cloak around her, Sarah settles back into her seat on the wagon. Only a little longer.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-08-28 at 10:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Replying as Ander to "The Three":

Spoiler
    Show

Right spoke for the first time since the interview had started. "Motion to approve application," he said shortly. The other two looked at him in masked surprise, and shared approved the motion. The society had gained another member. Each member then stood, waiting for Ander to do the same, and then led him out of the room, up the narrow stair they had assended earlier, though turned down a corridor before reaching the top. Two lefts, a right, and a spiral stair case later and they were headed down the corridor toward the Binding Shrine. They stop at a pair of ornate doors, a set of armor on either side. A twinge tells Ander that something is different about these suits, but the spirits do not seem to be saying much about them.

"This is the Hall of Transcription. Here, you will promise yourself to the society. Are you ready?"
    Spoiler
    Show

As the motion to accept him carried, and the robed men stood to leave, Ander took a moment to respond to the unexpected end to the grilling, but he was together enough to stand when they did and leave flanked by his interviewers. As he left the overly spartain room, and wound up the narrow stairs, the air becoming dryer, and warmer as he went. The ornate doors captured his attention for a moment, he almost missed the meaning of the words flowing from the hooded figure. He snaped his attention back to the three men "ready? oh, yes, yes I am," he takes one last glance at the entrancing door and the oddly placed armor stands then faces the strangers, wondering what he just agreed to and wishing he had a nice avocado.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Replying as Styn the Caravan Driver and Tyrus to Sarah (Venn):
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It had been a long trip from Loseptos. Three weeks, six days, and eleven hours, to be precise. As Sarah walks down the dirt road, she can almost feel the grit staining her clothes and her hair. How long had it been since she had had a bath? Of course, her mind immediately drifts to personal hygiene and the lengths one must take to ensure proper routines. Her years at the academy had left her with something, at least. Best not to dwell on such things. While brushing a lock of honey-blonde hair out of her eyes, Sarah takes a moment to look out at the horizon. From where she sat, she could barely make out the distant walls and spires of Brunsgrove. She was getting close now. How long would it take them? Would she have enough money to set herself up as a regular at an inn? Most importantly, would the agent give her more room to breathe? All of these questions, and no one was there to answer them. That last one was particularly pressing. It had been almost two weeks until she noticed the presence. They were there, she knew it. Watching. Thankfully, her modesty had so far been preserved (thanks mostly to her own efforts). Whoever they had assigned to watch her wasn't allowed to peep when she was indisposed. Sarah finds herself wondering... who was it? Tyrus? Had they assigned someone else? It was all idle speculation anyhow. The sun on her closing eyelids snaps her out of her guessing game, bringing her surroundings back into focus. It all takes her a minute, so much so that she nearly misses the question directed at her.
    "Excuse me? That will be five silver pieces, miss."
    "Oh yes, of course. Here you are." Handing the caravan master his fare for the remainder of the journey, Sarah tries to hold back a wince. Her Inner Sight had flashed several hours ago, revealing the middle-class halfling as a gambler and a wife-beater. She cannot even bear to touch him, instead dropping the coins in his hand. Wrapping her traveling cloak around her, Sarah settles back into her seat on the wagon. Only a little longer.
    The caravan master spit loudly to the side of the cart and leaned back. Now that everything was all settled up, he could relax and let the horses do the rest. Styn had not been to Brunsgrove in a long time. Likely, nothing had changed. Even if it had, it would likely come back to the way it was eventually. Things had a way of balancing themselves. Despite his wares and various commodities to trade, Styn wasn’t thinking about any of it. He was thinking of where he would spend most of his time – the Pits. The Pits was a place the boldest and unconscionable gamblers went to win heavy loot. Depending on what you bet, you could find yourself rivaling a small noble in wealth. All you had to do was bet on a fight. No big deal. So what if it was to the death? The tricky part was betting correctly. If you ran out of gold, there was no such thing as owing money there. If you couldn’t pay, you had to fight. Needless to say, you had to know when to stop. Some of the boldest entered a fight willingly, and bet on themselves. Of course, all of this was illegal. Most gambling was. That didn’t stop Styn.

The wagon creaked rhythmically, rocking slowly back and forth. In the mid morning light, the city gleamed, the river stretching like wings to either side. The road to the north gate came down from a tall hill, and it gave a beautiful view of the small city. This was a beauty that was lost to Styn. He was drifting off to sleep from the movement of the wagon. The horses carried the wagon the rest of the way.

By the time the caravan was arriving at the city entrance, Tyrus had activated the scrying pool on Sarah’s location. He watched from a cushioned seat, and ate a plate of peppers in a mixture of oil and basil. He used a dark bread to scoop it up from off the plate, and ate a liberal bite. He studied the wall. Not terribly formidable, he considered. He had expected more defenses in the northern most city of the Asaren nation, but this apparently was not the case. The caravan driver showed the guards some papers and the caravan passed through the gate without inspection. Perhaps concern for safety was unjustified for their agent. Still, some monsters of the sea had no teeth in their mouths, and were still quite the danger. What did it matter how sharp the teeth were if you were still swallowed whole? Tyrus ripped another piece of bread off with his teeth. Well, he thought, contemplating the torn bread, there were some perks.

Replying as "The Three" to Ander:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exalaber View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the motion to accept him carried, and the robed men stood to leave, Ander took a moment to respond to the unexpected end to the grilling, but he was together enough to stand when they did and leave flanked by his interviewers. As he left the overly spartain room, and wound up the narrow stairs, the air becoming dryer, and warmer as he went. The ornate doors captured his attention for a moment, he almost missed the meaning of the words flowing from the hooded figure. He snaped his attention back to the three men "ready? oh, yes, yes I am," he takes one last glance at the entrancing door and the oddly placed armor stands then faces the strangers, wondering what he just agreed to and wishing he had a nice avocado.
    “Solium Lovis,” said the Society member that had vouched for Ander. He stood in the center of the square room facing the ornately carved doors. How many times had he done this? How long ago had it been since he had himself been in Ander’s position? Too long. A loud and low rumble pierces the silence and the doors part before him. The room ahead is large and polished. He picks out a few places that the polishers missed with a frown and makes a mental note. A light breeze passes by as the hall sighs with new air rushing in, and older air leaving. He ushers the boy in and leads him down into the center of the massive and round room. The 6 pillars loom above the two, dwarfing them in comparison. He motions to a basin placed in the center point of the room. “This is the Hall of Transcription, and the last step in your joining our society. A pledge must be made. When you reach the basin, speak your full name and then say these words: After fortune, wealth. After plenty, harvest. After death, opportunity. This creed is at the heart of the Morganstern Society, and the altar will tell if you are worthy of embodying it. This is a ritual that is at least as old as the Society, so it goes without saying that you will show respect. I will be waiting at the entrance." ‘Right’ spoke the words as he himself had heard them as he stood in Ander’s place. He turned and left the boy to make his pledge, and the doors shut behind him.

When he reached the others, Polyae Cassain was there and speaking to the other two. She was speaking of Reynold, and how he had thrown her out of the interview with applicant Malenth. ‘Right’ listened quietly, his brow blooming creases as she went on. It seems Reynold had been gone from the society too long…

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #118

Malenth
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greenwing Drake at the East Gate

Greenwing will let the gate grunts arrest the people without interfering unless his quarry is arrested. He has no need to help them carry out their duties in quieting unruly people. He sees no reason to break his invisibility casually.

He does think it the most hilarious thing though the number of crooks that get caught in his trap besides his quarry. Amateurs, the lot of them. Only morons go through the risk of overt crime without official backing.

After a few toes stepped on and a few angry complaints, Malenth maneuvered his way to the front of the line, and submitted to a search. It seemed improper to treat a noble in such a manner, but time was of the essence and makign a fuss would probably complicate things.

After declaring his sword-cane and presenting his magic liscense, Malenth was let through. He muttered to himself as he looked around for the horses prepared for his group.

"Whoever is behind the blockade must be very desperate or very incompentent. Blocking off all exits to the city to catch a single theif? Idiocy."
    Last edited by Crafty Cultist; 2012-08-29 at 01:27 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Calicade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zhin

Maticus stood with his arms crossing over his chest, and his hands digging into the chainmail of his biceps waiting all so impatiently for the possible informant. He counted the seconds until the large man finally turned to leave the building, uttering plenty of foul things that had very little necessity.

Placing himself to where he could perfectly intercept the man before he left the area, Maticus sized the man up the best he could with the information he had. He was tall, spiked, and mean looking, but the sense of pride he had about him intrigued a different sense of Maticus’s own origin in this hunt.

Maticus stood before the large man, and just as the big man almost passed him up he stood in front of him with a gauntleted hand out. The gauntlets of Maticus Grap had a certain wickedness to their metal. All along the hand and up to the back of his palm were ridges of metal that fit perfectly into the craftsmanship. They looked sharp, and Maticus looked perfectly content in it.

“I believe we may be here under the same interest.” Maticus stood there for a moment lowering his hand and staring at the man and slowly adding with a voice of strength.
    “Ask any questions you must, but I have a feeling that you may find only that which you can agree with. With that I must ask you to accept a possible partnership in pursuing of this similar interest?” Maticus’s face held a sort of inquisitive look to it as he held one brow raised and a straight emotionless jaw.

Zhin turns on a dime, his fist contracted instantly. Yet he stops, inches from the absolutely implacable face of Maticus. The mysterious man didn't even react to the punch... a good warrior, indeed. "You are accomplished. A raw warrior would not have noticed, and a good one would have ducked... you are so skilled you knew my intentions... Yes, I shall hear you out." He stands back, removing his hand from the gauntlet and shaking Maticus'. "I am Zhin, of the Heaven Clan, Destroyer of Spirits and Savior of Worlds. Formal introductions shall have to wait, sadly, for we are of haste."

"Allow me, then, to ask some questions. First, what is this "similar interest" you speak of? You understand that it is critical we be in parallel pursuits. Second, how did you come to find me, and my purpose? Reading the sky, the stars, the dirt? Perhaps an informant?" His calm, level voice doesn't attract notice, though the stature and manner of both men do. Zhin notices, and motions to the man. "Hm...Perhaps you know of a better locale than this to discuss danger?"

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reynald
    As he finally passes to the other side of the gate, Reynald exhales slightly. They had been stopped, of course. Nothing serious - just guards wanting to be thorough. As much as Reynald appreciates their dedication, he cannot help but be irritated at the constant delays. At this rate, Lanath would be long gone. Moving towards his companions, he brushes the grime off of his coat.
    "I'm glad that we have all made it. Are we ready to go?" Malenth seemed as upset as he was, if not more so. Indignation, perhaps? Reynald had learned to hide that particular sentiment a long time ago, even though he had spent a great deal of time today displaying it. The noble would learn in time.
    History repeats itself, and nothing is ever new. Meanwhile, Arlin and Kirin stand together, as if bound by a sort of gravity. Together, they looked like near reflections of each other (save for the caveat of gender, of course). Reynald smiles slightly, simply enjoying the air that is fresh and the stakes that are high once again. He moves over to where the horses are tied up. Picking a dark grey mare, he throws himself up into the saddle while beckoning the others to do the same. Five horses. They would be taking one riderless horse, he supposed. After all, if Zane did decide to follow them, he would need a mount. Looking out towards the eastern wilderness, Reynald begins mapping their route in his head. It had been a long time, but he remembers the trails around here. After all, he was a country boy by birth. He would be damned if he forgot the countryside that had given him life. Digging in his spurs lightly, Reynald sets his mare at a light trot along the road.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-08-29 at 01:46 PM.