New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Cattle Driving Necromancers-Bizarre Campaign Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Rethmar View Post
    Reader, do you have a link to that essay? Sounds like a good read.
    Click on the big link that says "Gaming" on the sidebar. It's the essay labeled "emotional responses."
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, thanks. I'm going to read all of these now.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Looking forward to your next update Kaveman!

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Halfway through the second page I realised that this was a recent campaign journal and got all sad because now I have to wait for the damn things to be released!
    Same reason I hate watching incomplete seasons. I'd rather just let them finish and watch it all in one bang.

But good job! I really, really am liking your journals so far (started off with reading the Overgnome journal yesterday) and your group sounds awesome.

Sorry to everyone who gets a thread update in their subscription list
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Come at me scrublord I'm ripped

5. - Top - End - #65

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman26 View Post
    The campaign is still running. Two more sessions complete just not written up. Love the fanart btw.

Dis pater is a roman/greek (dont recall which culture) death god. As are hades and pluto.
    I know this. But there is a lord of hell. (Lord of the 2nd to be correct.) named Dispater in D&D and while he would never go himself (He is the most paranoid lord of hell) he could take an interest in the upstart that dares use his name.
    Last edited by Envyus; 2014-02-21 at 11:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Wait a sec, how'd Seraphim cast ISW on that human back in the camp? It's a fourth-level spell and she should only have level three spells at witch level 5.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

7. - Top - End - #67

ClericGuy

Inflict Serious Wounds is the 3rd level spell that does 3d8+Caster level, Inflict Critical Wounds is the 4th level spell that does 4d8+caster level.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by jguy View Post
    Inflict Serious Wounds is the 3rd level spell that does 3d8+Caster level, Inflict Critical Wounds is the 4th level spell that does 4d8+caster level.
    Seraphim is a Witch, and ISW is a 4th-level spell for witches.

Lego Ergo Sum

9. - Top - End - #69

BardGuy

Yeah it was a typo on my part.

New one should be up soon.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I saw that Kaveman had posted again.

Briefly, ever so briefly, my hopes flickered anew.

11. - Top - End - #71

BardGuy

Bull Rush of Adrenaline: Session 3 (Partial)

Spoiler
    Show
    When next we meet up, the U.C. surprise me by not trying to bring Rusk along with them. They give him command over 8 gnoll skeletons and tell him to gather up his fled tribe.

Dis Pater: Thrive for a week on your own, and we shall reap glory and riches upon you. Or die.

Kurgan Mephit: I can kill him now and save you the time.

The mephit draws forth a greatsword befitting his small stature and snarls.

Chomper: Easy there buddy. No one needs to be killed right now.

Kurgan Mephit: Then why did you call me forth? I’m a warrior not a childs play thing.
    Seraphim: We honestly didn’t know what would have happen. I still don’t understand what is happening.

Kurgan Mephit: It’s not overly complicated…you speak the word and gain the service of one of us for an hour.

Dis Pater: One of you? There are a set number?
    Kurgan Mephit: We number 20, and yes one of the twenty will always appear.
    Seraphim: Can we control which one?

Kurgan Mephit *clears his throat*: Warrior…not a scholar.

Chomper: right…ok then mighty warrior, in a room not too far from here a nest of dire weasels killed some cattle that belonged to us. Prove your worth and bring me back one of their dead.

Kurgan: Yes Master. My blade’s thirst for weasel will be quenched…

And off runs the Salt Mephit…

They part ways with Rusk and begin a room by room search of the gnoll quarters. In what amounts to a closet they find a chained and vacant Gup. The lights are on, but no one is home.

Hades: I think this one is ready to meet The God.

Skalagrim: Or it’s time he met reality. Cut him loose, give him a knife, give him a water skin and some tools Chomp. If he is still around in a few weeks maybe he is worth having.

Reggie: What is with the sudden mercy? You kill Rusk’s tribe then let him loose, now you are going to put a blade in the hand of someone that you have wronged in the worst ways imagineable? Wouldn’t it be kinder to kill him?

Skalagrim *grinning*: Kinder…certainly. But far less fun. When my clan was broken and the Nagaji took me, they could have killed me “humanely” instead, Dis Pater urged them to push me, to amount to something and in time I did. The path to strength is often lined with hardship. I am simply returning the favor visited to those who need that chance.

With Gup armed and equipped they more or less just wash their hands of Rusk and the gnolls, moving on for other grounds. They retreat to their base camp and pack up shop, spending a night replenishing spells and deciding what direction to strike out next. They ultimately elect returning to the central entrance and seeking out information from the stationed merchants as to any developments over the last few days. As they get back to the camp a roar of joy sounds out in the hallway as Kurgan kicks the door to their camp in. On his shoulders in a fireman’s carry is a slain dire weasel nearly as large as himself. Like a sodium filled Tarzan he lifts it overhead and growls as he tosses the body to the ground in front of us. Then…with his hour up he vanishes.

Chomper: They seem like fun chaps.

The journey back to the entrance is uneventful and the merchants are very leery of anyone approaching. The different vendors all seem united in defending their wares and are highly paranoid of those approaching in groups. Seraphim approaches once again and tries to gather intelligence on recent events.

*Business is slow. Typically within the first week of a new phase there is a rush of PC’s scooping up forgotten or broken items that they suddenly have a pressing need for. No one has yet returned.
    *Raids by denizens approaching the surface are commonplace enough to bear constant attention, but the last four days has seen nothing test the entrance.
    *They are informed that group number 1…The Illuminated Canticle set out north. At this time they are the only returning group, seeking additional vials and flasks to house holy water. That sparks a further line of questioning that tips off the “anti undead” nature of that group’s cleric.

Seraphim: Very little in the way of leads to work with. Things are quiet which could mean complications are rising within. There is a party who seems to share an opposed viewpoint to our own that went north.

Skalagrim: How so?
    Seraphim: Their holy man views the undead as abomination.
    Hades: Well then we must seek to convert this poor lost soul
    Pluto: Yes brother we must show him the truth.

Reggie: Are you talking about changing his viewpoint? Or re-animating him?
    Both: Perhaps both.

So born from a desire to attack their mirror image north is the direction they set out. As they reach the vendors guarding the northern pass a toll is required before passage. They want 500 gold for the privelage of journeying into the wealthiest corridor. Seraphim barters with them and offers 10 potions instead*

They accept the barter and move through. Chomper takes the point on his spinosaur to seek sign of either the group they are after, or other dangers.
    Progress down the corridors is steady. Every room they pass has been scoured, blessed and carefully marked. When I say blessed more of a feeling than anything meaningful in a tactical manner. Enough to give the Cleric’s a sour taste in the air but nothing that imposes penalties or bonuses.

Skalagrim: They are neat…I will give them that.
    Chomper: Did they seriously number the physical rooms?

Me: Yep, catalogued for contents (in a code you can’t decipher from a glance) and given a label to identify upon return visits.

Perhaps even odder is when they begin finding the slain creatures and inhabitants of those rooms all properly laid out and from what they can gather given funeral rites.

Seraphim: They took great care in seeing these creatures off to their final resting place.

The two clerics break down laughing themselves into hysterics at the table.

Hades: I would greatly question the phrase “final” resting place. More like a temporary repose.

Seraphim blinks at that.
    Seraphim: Just how decomposed are these?
    By these the current count is one dire lion, six ogres, and 3 blink dogs.
    Me: Hardly. They died recently.
    Seraphim: I have an idea…

It costs them nearly full day and a half, but they go to the trouble of zombifying the slain monsters, casting gentle repose on each and then mixing them up through the various rooms to confuse the previous marking. There is a bit of discussion over whether they can “release” wild undead and eventually I capitulate that they can.

Me: So you just zombified and released a hallway’s worth of monsters to what end? Messing with the npc group?

Seraphim: Yes, some battles are won with sword and spell, others are won in the mind. I prefer to attack where the enemy is vulnerable. Anyone that is compulsive enough to mark the rooms and provide after life consideration for a fallen foe is clearly going to be upset by their system being rummaged.

They continue on and search already explored hallways trying to find a path towards the NPC party. Eventually they come to a set of massive doors that remains unmarked. Behind the doors is an audible commotion. The Necro Ranchers stack up into an offensive array and Dis Pater and Skalagrim prep to burst into the room with weapons in hand, and everyone else has spells at the ready…

The room is sprawling. Easily the largest room they have yet seen. The rival NPC group they have been tracking is engaged in a pitched combat against a swirling force almost too fast for the eye to see.

A mounted knight frantically works his mount in a tight circle around a huddled mass of his comrades, spots of gleaming armor barely visible amidst an overwhelming amount of gore and viscera. The entire room looks like something out of a charnel house. Rancid and rotting flesh form mounds through the room, and the stench of blood in the air and the swirl of flies is enough to make a satyr gag. Swarming the besieged NPC’s are a legion of cricket like diminutive creatures, with ragged and torn gossamer wings, they are adorned in bone armor and painted in blood. Each is riding what appears to be giant mosquitoes with razor honed proboscis.

Dis Pater: Berserker grigs on stirges? Now I have seen it all.

In my head I am thinking this will likely play out one of two ways.

1st: They aid the grigs in destroying the NPC party. This fits with their evil personas and follows their most common M.O.
    2nd: They will aid the NPC Party in defeating the grigs then double cross them and kill them afterwards. This is the “smarter” option and suits their deviousness.

They confer amongst themselves for a few moments and then break out from a group huddle to declare actions and intent.

Seraphim: The twins and I are going to trail Skalagrim and his anklosaur, they are clearing a path to the second party. Chomper is going to act as a door stopper with his spinosaur to keep everything inside. Dis Pater is taking a round to try and locate a chieftain or leader to single out and engage directly.

(Ahh…good old option 2)

The mounted pixies are surprisingly durable (barbarian levels will go a long way towards that end) and they are strong in numbers, but waves of negative energy and area of effect do them severe harm. Dis Pater focuses in on a sturdier and more ornate Grig shouting orders with gestures of a tiny greataxe. He peels off towards the grig chief and begins dueling with a creature 1/20 (estimating) his size.

The Canticle party is equal parts horrified and relieved to have reinforcements. Their cleric is clearly disgusted by the twins and their nature but given the circumstance help is help. It is here that I run into a major problem. For ages we have ruled that a roll of twenty on a skill check is not an automatic success, but instead opens a further roll. Pluto casually mentions that he is utilizing his Knowledge Religion when he witnesses the Canticle’s cleric casting a spell. He rolls a natural 20. He then follows up with an 18.

Now in the midst of my planning I decided on having a sect of recurring antagonists that were part of a cult serving one of the last remaining mind flayer colonies outside of the structure. They had an inkling of the true nature of the mega dungeon and would serve as a source of conflict and exposition. The Canticle’s cleric is one such NPC. He is not a LG “devout” man of piety. He is really a LE deep cover agent. The knowledge religion roll is high enough that subtle components of how he words his prayers or spells should tip off Pluto based on the result. Such a result is premature but not enough to shatter longer term plans. It does create a fun situation where he knows something no one else knows. In the past such intelligence was not always shared for the better of the party but for the advantage of the individual.

It’s nice to have players that don’t let you down…
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Been waiting for a month. Saw it the second it came up. Regrets? None.
    Last edited by Demidos; 2014-02-28 at 01:08 PM.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

13. - Top - End - #73

SQUEE!! Love the "my blade's thirst for weasel will be quenched" line. Also, this is quite the group. Dis Pater's weird brand of Darwinianism deserves further elaboration. I'm kind of surprised that they helped out the I.C., though. It seems to me it would be smarter just to hang back and wait until one side or the other had won, thus maximizing the amount of resources whichever other side would have to expend. Though if they are trying to get information or aid from the Canticle, I can see their idea making more sense.

By the way, I would suggest that at some point you feature a "clan" of adventurers who've been stuck in the dungeon for months (or years, depending on how long it's been since this place first opened) and have gone homicidally insane. So basically Reavers from Firefly.

Also, are you still looking for adventuring party designs?

Hope we get to see the second half of this soon!

Lego Ergo Sum

14. - Top - End - #74

HUZZAH! Another entry!

Gotta say that the faerie barbarians are pretty cool.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

15. - Top - End - #75

Gotta say I really liked that last part. Twists are always fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You could also go on an adventure for the magical strap-on, if you really want to make an adventure out of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    Come at me scrublord I'm ripped

16. - Top - End - #76

More Salt Mephits plz.

Great as usual. Looking forward to the next one

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Awesome stuff as always Kaveman, looking forward to seeing where this IC Deep agent cleric line goes...

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Arrgh!! Just enough to really draw me into the ongoing scenario--then a sudden cliffhanger, made doubly compelling by the results of that knowledge check....

Write, Kaveman, write!!!

19. - Top - End - #79

OldWizardGuy

Thumbs up Re: Cattle Driving Necromancers-Bizarre Campaign Journal

I just want to express my deep, aching, heartbroken longing for more stories from this campaign.
    "If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

20. - Top - End - #80

Thoroughly concur.

Lego Ergo Sum

21. - Top - End - #81

More agreement. Maybe someone can PM Kaveman? It seems a little rude to pressure him like this, but d***it I want more Undead Cowboys.

22. - Top - End - #82

subscribed. this is awesome.
    avatardonebymememememememememeeeeeeeeeee

Julian, it's a hungry world
    They're gonna eat you alive son, yeah
    Oh Julian, when their fangs sink in
    I'll stitch you but then I gotta throw you back in

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    .... what the **** is that?! That's not a spiked chain; that's some Klingon bullcrap! Who the hell drew that?! How are you supposed to use that without stabbing yourself?!

23. - Top - End - #83

BardGuy

They are a coming. Have more posted hopefully by weekend.

Advanced apologies for posting without it being an update.
    Last edited by Kaveman26; 2014-03-19 at 09:42 AM.
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Kaveman26 View Post
    They are a coming. Have more posted hopefully by weekend.

Advanced apologies for posting without it being an update.
    W00T! Thanks for the update, and type like the wind!

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Ahem.

We miss you. We miss your creepylicious party of gothic malcontents.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Kudos for allowing your players to coordinate like this. I'm okay with a DM who says "Play whatever you want to play", but too often that means "I'm not going to give you any information about the party." What I want to play is "something that has decent synergy with the party". Not, say, the third Leader in a party of five, nor a drow blackguard in a party of Good-to-Neutral characters. Letting your players coordinate function and personality? Gold.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-04-03 at 09:20 AM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It looks like Kaveman hasn't logged on since the forum went down. Anyone got a way to email him or something to tell him it's back up?

Sorry for bumping this thread up on people's subs page without it being an update from Kaveman.
    Last edited by DSmaster21; 2014-04-07 at 08:02 AM.
    DSmaster21: The Dicey Cultist

I apologize if I ramble sometimes my Asperger's Syndrome causes me to talk a lot when trying to communicate. I may also get distracted so I ask forgiveness in advance.

A D12 of The Church of D20

Games: Doctor Who: Adventures in Space and Time, Shadowrun 5e, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Assorted Retroclones, D&D 5e.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by DSmaster21 View Post
    It looks like Kaveman hasn't logged on since the forum went down. Anyone got a way to email him or something to tell him it's back up?

Sorry for bumping this thread up on people's subs page without it being an update from Kaveman.
    That would be a good idea, but I don't have any way to contact him.

Lego Ergo Sum

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I'm guessing no one's heard from Kaveman in the past two weeks?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I'm guessing no one's heard from Kaveman in the past two weeks?

He logged on on the 14th but he hasn't posted since the forums went down. (It seems kind of creepy that you/I can see other members activities on the site but it is readily available on their profile page so I use it.)
    DSmaster21: The Dicey Cultist

I apologize if I ramble sometimes my Asperger's Syndrome causes me to talk a lot when trying to communicate. I may also get distracted so I ask forgiveness in advance.

A D12 of The Church of D20

Games: Doctor Who: Adventures in Space and Time, Shadowrun 5e, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Assorted Retroclones, D&D 5e.