New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Remnant III

Infirmary >> Billie's cell

"I don't know what to do..." Gus says. "Are there cameras there? I think mine is back at the watch shop, and I'll need Jakey's help."

"Yes, the guards can point them out to you," Vas says.

Gus kisses her goodbye, and heads off to see Billie.

Finding her sedated and restrained, he sits down next to the bed and thinks of all the mothers he's seen on television or in the city. He tries to work out from thinking of their interactions with their children, tries to work out how he feels about her.

Her hair is red like his. She has the same strength that he does, and is better at using it.

And she wanted to kill Jake. Why? What did she have against Jake?

Maybe she doesn't know how great he was. Maybe if I can just tell her, then she'll understand.

Then he makes the connection:

She isn't friends with Jakey's mother. So she thinks I'm not friends with Jake.

This feels like a true answer. She kept saying she wanted what was best for Gus, and had said a few times, "She kept me away from you." She. Jake's mother. Gus had to think to remember her name, but eventually it came to him. Elaine Stevenson. He'd never met her though. She'd disappeared shortly before Gus had started manifesting. She had done that off and on throughout Jake's childhood - simply vanished for months or years at a time, with occasional letters getting through.

"Mrs Stevenson?" Gus calls. "Elaine? Are you in there? I... My name is Gus. I'm a friend of Jake's. More than a friend, Elaine. I'm Jake's other side." He felt stupid, talking to the missing side of Billie. Saying her name over and over. He couldn't remember if he'd ever heard anyone call for him. Maybe it wouldn't work at all.

But he couldn't think of anything else to do.

No, that wasn't exactly true. He could turn all of this over to Jake and let him handle it. But that felt wrong to do, before he had even tried.

"Elaine, I know you have an other side too, and that you never told Jake. You just ran away when you felt her getting too strong and pushing through, because you didn't want Billie to find him. But Jake has it too, Elaine. He has me. And instead of fighting me, he talked to me. I hated him for a long time. But things are different now, Elaine. We're friends."

"Jake doesn't know where I came from, but I have a guess now. It's in the family, isn't it, Elaine? Something that happens to the de Vere's. Maybe you didn't know that it would happen to him. I think you didn't, Elaine, or you would have warned him, right? But Billie knew all along. She said she was waiting for me."

"You need to manifest now, Elaine, because Billie's in a lot of trouble and I don't think she'll listen to me. So I'm hoping maybe you will. Elaine? Can you hear me at all?"
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral is not in a position to parry that kind of attack, not at all. He doesn't take the boots as squarely as Carl might have liked, but whether that was because he managed to get a better angle or what is anyone's guess. It definitely still hurt, but Terral can still bring his claws up and in to attempt to rake Carl's legs.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Billie's Cell

Despite Gus's efforts, Elaine doesn't reveal herself. Billie remains Billie for now, and eventually wakes up.

"Gus. You came back." Her voice is hoarse from her throat injury.

Gus rakes his fingers through his hair. "I... Billie, this isn't... You knew about me. I didn't know about you, okay? I need time to get used to this. I didn't think I had a mother."

"I don't know how much time we have. Gus... I feel her pushing, trying to get through. I'll fight her off as long as I can. Please... I just want to know my son."

Gus takes a shaky breath. First he let Jake into his life, but that was easier, because it was just words for so long. Then Vasquez came, like a summer storm, so much strength and beauty that he couldn't help but fall rapidly and deeply in love with her.

Now Billie. Gus didn't know how much a part of him wanted a mother until he felt himself weakening at her pleas. He had just suddenly been there, awake and alive, somehow with knowledge, but no memories. No family. Nothing. Until Jake started talking to him, he'd had no one who cared for him.

Of course, his mother would be crazy. She'd had no one at all.

He reaches down to take her hand, still cuffed to the bedframe. "Get these damn things off of her. Now!" he snarls at the guard.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral's claws will have a hard time getting through Carl's pants, but he'll feel a single claw get through and scratch his skin. Right after though, there'll be a big and extremely hard push on Terral's body, trying to slam him into the ground with enough force to possibly knock the wind out of him or at least cause more than a few bruises.

The push from the flight-boots causes the Halfling to leap backwards more than 20ft and land standing after flipping in the air.

Holding Cells

"With all due respect sir..." One of the guards starts. "There's no way in Hel that she's going to be uncuffed while you're in there. Being the Chief's main squeeze might afford you some special privileges, but this ain't one of them. She's kidnapped you once before, has attempted suicide, and put the Commander into the hospital." As he speaks, he draws a stunner. "If you insist to get her uncuffed yourself, I'll have to put you under."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

Terral is very much knocked into the ground! Like, flat on his belly. Weakly, he taps the floor twice.

Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow.

After a second, the scratch on Carl's leg will begin to burn. Just... a strong burning sensation that will start at the scratch and slowly spread further into Carl's body.

This is not like a bad sunburn. If, say, every layer of flesh down the the bone was sunburned, it might hurt this bad.

Oh, and once the burning gets to his heart it will spread to ter rest of his body, including up his neck toward his brain. Happily, it does not do any damage; it will only make him pass out for a while. It's perfectly nonlethal, doesn't cause tissue damage, and one scratch is enough to effect the whole body. have fun with that.
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2012-02-28 at 09:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cells

"Hey! I would never hurt my boy! Don't point that gun at him!" Billie protests.

"Oh hush, Billie. It's a fair cop. You haven't given them - or me - any reason to trust you," Gus sighs. Then he says to the guard, "If she couldn't break the cuffs, I doubt I could either. Could you at least restrain her so that she can sit up and we can talk face to face?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding Cell

"Lady, it ain't my job to believe you. Quite the opposite." The guard says. He listens to Gus' request and after a moment's thought, passes his weapons to his partner. "Watch her." He says with a nod before shifting the cuffs around.

Training Ground

Carl feels the burning sensation and scowls, but just grits his teeth and moves to stand over Terral. "Next time, bring your armor and I'll teach you a few things. Take the rest of the day off and rest. Go and see Bugs if you think you're hurt." He says with force before he strides off. He knows the effects of the venom from reading the notes on Terral's physical and begins counting down mentally. It wouldn't do to have the new recruit see him pass out. He turns the corner to walk behind the Barracks for a moment, looking right up at Missy to give her a nod. Finding a nice and dark spot in the shade, he sits back against the building before closing his eyes and falling limp.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Training Grounds

"Yes, sir."

After a minute, Terral gets up. The truth is, his knees are sore and it huts to stand. However, he (perhaps incorrectly) does not believe that they actually have any notable damage, and does not walk away, instead listening for a moment.

He's listening for the sound of Carl fainting. He hears nothing of the sort. That impresses him.

With that, he will walk off painfully. Most any Remnant member could walk up to the new recruit, but if no one does he will simply go to his bunk.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

Billie behaves herself while her cuffs are adjusted. Once she's sitting up, Gus looks at the guard. "I'm going to hug her. I'm not going to try and break her free, and she's not going to try and hurt me. Then we're going to sit and talk like civilized adults. I'd rather you didn't listen in, but if you have to, I understand."

He had already asked for a recording to be made, for Vasquez, and for Jake. A few more people listening in won't make a difference.

After getting a nod from the guard, he hugs Billie and gives her a kiss on the forehead. That's when all her bravado breaks down and she starts to cry, squeezing one of his hands in both of her cuffed ones as he holds her and lets her sob into his shirt.

She's at it a long time.

Training Ground

"Not bad for a raw recruit," Missy says to Terral. She outranks him, but as she's not in his chain of command, she feels no need to play drill sergeant. "Good lunchtime entertainment anyway." She stuffs her sandwich wrapper in the bin and heads out of the grounds.

She locates Carl a few moments later. The other fact about not being in Terral's chain of command is that she hasn't read his dossier and doesn't know what his poison does. In fact, she doesn't even know there was poison involved, as she didn't see the wound that broke the skin. She kneels and checks his pulse instinctively, but her neural net is faster - requesting and receiving encrypted authorization for an internal teleport. She and Carl appear in an infirmary room before her fingers have even reached the pulse point on his neck.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Holding Cell

The guard nods and backs off to let the two have their moment. They aren't gone, just off to the side to afford them as much privacy as they can.

Training Grounds => Infirmary

Carl's pulse is slow and only moderately strong, but constant. She'll recognize that it's as if he's in deep sleep. Bugs is waiting for the pair and scoops up the halfling with a slight wince. "Thanks, Missy. He'll recover soon."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Infirmary

About an hour after the training session, Terral will walk into the infirmary. He's limping a little, but it's not too obvious. He looks around, looking for Carl or anyone who looks like an infirmary worker.

He's not to sure what to do here. He just wants to make sure that Carl got here and no one is worrying about what happened.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - entrance

Terral will find Charity, working reception as she studies for her EMT exams.

"New here? How badly are you hurt?" Charity asks, wincing a little. Just because she knows heavy training will save lifes later, doesn't mean she likes seeing training injuries. "I'm Charity Evans, trainee medic."

Infirmary - Carl's room

Missy helps lift Carl onto the bed. "Careful. We don't want you hurt," Missy says to Bugs. "What happened to him? He was sparring with the new guy, and I thought he'd won."

Holding Cell

Billie takes a long time to regain her composure, while Gus feels lost and awkward, trying to figure out what he feels for the small woman he is comforting. She was violent, manipulative, insane... but she loved him. She wanted to be a mother to him.

"Start from the beginning,"
    he said to her finally. "Tell me how you knew about me."

He has to get her some water before she can talk, and her voice is still hoarse, but she wants to share the story with him.

"I felt her growing weaker, sooner than usual, and fought through. Usually she knew I was coming in advance, and was far from home before I could get through, but this time, I was still in the city. And I was pregnant."

"I didn't know the timing, so I didn't know which one of us had conceived you, but it didn't matter to me. You were growing inside me. You were mine, and I loved you from the first moment I knew you were there. What I wanted more than anything was to find a way to escape with you, escape from her. You and me against the world, kid. I just had to figure a way to make it possible..."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Infirmary - entrance

"Um, no, I'm not hurt very bad. I think it should be better by tomorrow."

He only has a slight limp... but it's still a limp. Might want to check that.

"I was actually wondering if Commander Goodfellow was in. Oh, my apologies. I'm Terral Ven. This is my first day on the force."

He offers his hand to be shaken.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Past!Infirmary - Missy

Bugs doesn't say that he was always in pain these days and a little more won't kill him as he doesn't want Missy to ask the hard questions. "New kid has knock-out venom in his claws. Probably got scratched. No worries, no lasting damage. Gonna flush it out of his system."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Past!Infirmary - Carl's Room

"Crazy halfling..."
    Missy mutters. With nothing else to say, she'll head out and be gone before Terral arrives.

At some point later, when Charity finds out he's there, the unconscious halfling will be subjected to a barrage of curse words from his doting sister-in-law.

Infirmary - Entrance

"Room 18. But you don't get to visit him until you get that limp checked out," Charity says, unfolding a wheelchair. "Take a seat. I'll wheel you back."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Infirmary - Entrance

"I... I really don't think that's necessary." Terral will sit down in the chair nonetheless. "What's your name, by the way? I hope that I won't spend too much time down here, but it's better to know all the people I might working with."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Entrance >> Exam Room 12

"Charity Evans, trainee medic," she repeats, while making a mental note 'Possible head injury'. "I'm a civvie, but I live with Commander Losthold, of the Praetorians, and eventually found a role here on base that suited me. I'm studying to become an EMT." She helps Terral onto the exam table, whether he wants the help or not, and instructs him to lay down, while pushing the button to call in a doctor. "How are you getting along on base, so far?"

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Exam Room 12

"Mm, it reminds me of basic training. Not the best memories, you understand. And it's a lot different from what I came from; to the point that I know that I need the basic training again. It's odd; in many ways Remnant is looser than the Marines were, but in other ways there are things you could pull off in the marines that you could never get away with here."

And Terral doesn't have any head injuries, he just has a bit of trouble with names. Enough time in the force got him to pay attention to anything with a title on it, but other than that he's easily distracted enough to miss details like that in a relaxed environment. He was listening to the air vents or some such.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

((I'm assuming the following: 1. this is inside Inside, 2. this location is approachable from the exterior, he's just walking up to whatever the external-most defense is, and 3.Remnant's location here is fairly well-known among law-abiding inhabitants of the Nexus. If any of these three assumptions is false, please tell me and I will edit my posting appropriately.))

It is early evening, the sun has just set. ((At least in this fellow's timeline it is this time, otherwise he wouldn't be here.)) A short humanoid-looking figure with enormous black feathered wings the stretch above his head and then fall in a bold curve down to the earth is walking purposefully toward Remnant.

Though his appearance, with his black cloak, gaunt face and sunken eyes is forbidding, his intention is obvious: approach, be recognized, and request admittance to speak to someone with authority.
    Expect my character 'Wanderer' to simply vanish. Please always err on the side of continuing without me. My schedule makes my posting patchy at times and I don't want to hold up other folks' fun.

Former alias: wingrae, Wooly Winged Wonder

I'm officially back! Whee! I should be able to post regularly for a few months :-)

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Front Gate]

As he approaches the gate, if the black winged man can sense such things he'll find a ward specifically made for creatures like him. And since there is likely only one of him...

[Latas' Mind]

Nellens Latas may or may not receive a sending into her mind, The vampire that attacked the woman - the one with the black feathers - he's approaching the gate.

[Gate Guards Minds]

The guards will receive a similar sending if they choose to accept it, with the additional information that Caet is one his way to help if need be.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

[Front Gate]

He pauses as he feels magic ripple around him, shedding off of his strangely resistant wings and sticking in rather ineffective patches to his body. He cannot tell exactly what the spell is or what it is intended to do, he merely knows it is there.

Should the ward be designed to stop him, he will feel resistance and choose to stop in his tracks and wait. If it is not designed to stop him from approaching the security station by the gate he will head toward it, intent on addressing the nearest guard.

Either way, he calls: "Good evening, may I speak with someone?" his tone is officious.
    Expect my character 'Wanderer' to simply vanish. Please always err on the side of continuing without me. My schedule makes my posting patchy at times and I don't want to hold up other folks' fun.

I'm officially back! Whee! I should be able to post regularly for a few months :-)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

[Front Gate]

Since it comes from a member of Remnant personell, the gate guards accept the message. They raise their rifles in the direction of the approaching figure.
    According to a member of Remnant personell, you're a known criminal. Remove all your weapons and put your hands over your head.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

[Front Gate]

The man scowls, and the expression pulls his lip up enough to reveal one of his long white fangs, standing in sharp contrast to his dark attire.

"I am reaching to remove my sword-belt, as requested." he replies sternly. By the glare he gives the guard, he thinks the lower-ranking members of Remnant imbecilic enough to shoot him for that motion. His hand slides under his cape to slowly remove the belt and lower the long, heavy blade to the ground. He then reaches into his wide sleeves just as slowly and drops a pair of knives and a few other small metallic objects to the ground. All the while he keeps the rifle-men fixed with a haughty stare.

"Still doing as requested." he states as he reaches for his boot, then the small of his back. He sends another blade clattering into the heap and he bends down to set his revolver gently on the ground. Only idiots toss guns.

"Not quite finished." He pulls a leather-wrapped bundle of documents from the inside of his cloak and drops them on the ground in front of him. "You and your superiors will want to look at those immediately."

Then he puts his hands on his head and stands quietly, waiting for what they will do next.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Gate]

It's at this point that Caet arrives, carrying a staff alongside him. He's in enchanted remnant uniform, with spell component pouches hanging off of several belts.

His first order of business is to send a short divination over the things the man just placed on the ground., attempting to discern what they are without opening any of them. this'll take a moment, so the guards can do what they wish, Though they can see Caet casting the spell.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

[Front Gate]

((while we wait for Morty I can reply to the spell))

The spell will show that the items are all mundane. A few of the blades are poison-coated and the pistol is loaded. They'll want to be careful how they pick up a few of the smaller poisoned blades as they're not sheathed. The leather document fold is full of official documents, and not trapped or in any way dangerous.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Holding Cell

Gus sits with Billie for another hour or so, listening to her tell her (somewhat embellished) life story. Her voice grows more and more hoarse as she goes on, and after a couple of attempts to get her to spare her voice, Gus finally puts a stop to it.

"That's enough, Billie. If you use up your voice today, you won't be able to talk tomorrow. I will come back then. I promise."

"But.. what if she breaks through before then?"

"I'll be here when you come back."

"But she runs! She gets me so far away that I spend most of my time just figuring out where I am and how to get back!"

"Billie, it's different now. We've met. I have friends now, who can help me find you. And if we aren't absolutely sure that we can, Elaine won't be allowed out of this cell." He isn't sure Vasquez is able to back him up on this, if Elaine hasn't committed any crimes, but he figures as long as Billie believes it, then it'll work.

"Promise?"

Gus kisses her on the temple. "If Elaine takes you away, I will do whatever it takes to find you. I promise."

Billie searches his eyes, trying to decide if he's telling the truth, and finally decides that he is. But she still has to ask... "Can't you stay?"

"I need to go and check on Vas." And show all of this to Jake, he thinks, but he hasn't yet tried to explain to Billy about how he and Jake interact.

She finally, reluctantly, lets him go. She asks to go to the toilet, and is escorted this time, but she doesn't care. It worked. Her son is talking to her. That's all she really wanted.

That, and to be rid of Elaine and Jake. And despite what she said to Gus, she knows Elaine doesn't have a chance in hell of breaking through tonight. Not when she's this happy.

Infirmary - Vas's room

Gus returns and climbs into bed with Vasquez, hugging her tightly. "Thank you."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Infirmary - Vasquez

Vas grunts in pain at the hug and tries to push Gus away. Her ribs may be healing quicker than normal, but they still hurt from the beating Billie gave her. "You're welcome, just try to give me a day or so before attempting another hug."

Exam Room 12

After a couple minutes, Bugs arrives, looking rather tired and worn, but offering a slight smile nonetheless. "What seems to be the problem?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Vasquez

Gus winces and backs off immediately. "I'm sorry. I... I didn't mean to... Please, Vas. I don't want to lose you."

Infirmary - Room 12

"New recruit Terral Van came in to check on Commander Goodfellow. I noticed that he was limping and showed possible signs of a head injury, so I had him admitted," Charity says, handing the medical form thingamy thing which has a special name but I'm having aphasia over to Bugs.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Infirmary - Room 12

"I think she's over estimating the damage, personall..."

He looks at Charity.

"Head injury? I'd like to hear your logic behind that."

He knows that he is probably bruised, but he does not have a concussion or anything. And bruises build character.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Infirmary - Room 12

"I had to introduce myself twice,"
    Charity says. "I wouldn't diagnose anyone based on a minor attention lapse, but if that person is also injured from a sparring match, I'd consider that probable cause to have them assessed for concussion. Brain injuries are not to be trifled with."

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs