New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wait, that didn't work right" - the Dysfunctional Rules Collection

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I hope they scrap the Tome of Magic, rewrite it, and make it work. The concept and flavour were fine, but the mechanics were rubbish.
    Binder is pretty solid though and Shadow magic can be useful, though you need to specialize a lot (counterspellers and theurges are the best option IIRC) truenamer OTOH...
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

I feel like this entire thread could just be summed up in the fact that an entire category of Truenamer abilities were printed without DCs to use, in a class that is all about it's DCs.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Binder is pretty solid though and Shadow magic can be useful, though you need to specialize a lot (counterspellers and theurges are the best option IIRC) truenamer OTOH...
    Speak for yourself. I would love to see Truenamer fixed, even if the result is a still-suboptimal Tier 5. Shadow magic does nothing for me. And if they reprinted TOM I would really, really badly want them to resort the Binder vestiges, putting them in level order rather than alphabetical, so you can find all the vestiges you're allowed to bind in one place (and then do Magic of Incarnum with the soulmelds segregated by class).

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roguenewb View Post
    I feel like this entire thread could just be summed up in the fact that an entire category of Truenamer abilities were printed without DCs to use, in a class that is all about it's DCs.
    Yes, the Truename of the Truenamer class is Dysfunctional.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #875
    Firbolg in the Playground

To be honest I've played a Truenamer (level 16 one-shot) with a medium/low-op group (on a day when the low-op people were there) and I was one of the best in the party.
    That said, the class especially and the entire book in general left me fairly disappointed.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Pixie in the Playground

Not sure if anyone mentioned this in the previous 30-ish pages of posts, but RAW there is no way to recover your psicrystal if it is destroyed.
    Hey, Druid. Stop complaining that the ToB is imba.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Banned

It's possible that was intentional, for added drama. It is a part of your mind after all.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CalistonTB View Post
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this in the previous 30-ish pages of posts, but RAW there is no way to recover your psicrystal if it is destroyed.
    Well, you could always Chaos Shuffle your Psicrystal feat away and back again.

Some things, you can't get with RAW. For everything else, there's Mastercheese Chaos Shuffle.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-08-22 at 10:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CalistonTB View Post
    good catch. no one has mentioned it.

if I were DMing, I'd let you cast "revive construct" as a 6th, since they already have one for outsider and undead. besides, psionic save game aside, psicrystals are hardly gamebreaking, so killing one off is something of an unneccessary measure
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Well, you could always Chaos Shuffle your Psicrystal feat away and back again.

Some things, you can't get with RAW. For everything else, there's Mastercheese Chaos Shuffle.
    Or even mundane retraining on level-up, right?

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Or even mundane retraining on level-up, right?
    RAW that works too
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Speak for yourself. I would love to see Truenamer fixed, even if the result is a still-suboptimal Tier 5. Shadow magic does nothing for me. And if they reprinted TOM I would really, really badly want them to resort the Binder vestiges, putting them in level order rather than alphabetical, so you can find all the vestiges you're allowed to bind in one place (and then do Magic of Incarnum with the soulmelds segregated by class).
    I would love to see a Truenamer rework in the printed version; but frankly I doubt it. Why would they spend money and/or time when they can simply send the file to the printers? It would take minutes at most. And I meant that as written Truenamer is disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    To be honest I've played a Truenamer (level 16 one-shot) with a medium/low-op group (on a day when the low-op people were there) and I was one of the best in the party.
    That said, the class especially and the entire book in general left me fairly disappointed.
    I can't talk about my own experience as I've never played a Truenamer and only have to go by Zaqs "Handbook" and other peoples account. I know it can be played by RAW; but from my understanding you have to optimize more than the norm to simply work, sure with an Item Familiar, skill focus (Truenaming) an amulet of the silver tongue +10 and a custom Truenamin Item you can and probably will reach all the DC's; but it is still far more investment to simply use your class features as opposed to a charger who sinks similar resources (2 feats, let's say Power Attack and Leap Attack, less skill ranks (the jump check to activate Leap Attack is reasonable easy, I think about 20) a valorous weapon ("equivalent to the Truenaming Item) and some form of pounce. More ore less same investment; but much more effective at his chosen style.

That is why I think the Truenamer disappoints.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #883
    Firbolg in the Playground

I would love to see a Truenamer rework in the printed version; but frankly I doubt it. Why would they spend money and/or time when they can simply send the file to the printers? It would take minutes at most. And I meant that as written Truenamer is disappointing.

I can't talk about my own experience as I've never played a Truenamer and only have to go by Zaqs "Handbook" and other peoples account. I know it can be played by RAW; but from my understanding you have to optimize more than the norm to simply work, sure with an Item Familiar, skill focus (Truenaming) an amulet of the silver tongue +10 and a custom Truenamin Item you can and probably will reach all the DC's; but it is still far more investment to simply use your class features as opposed to a charger who sinks similar resources (2 feats, let's say Power Attack and Leap Attack, less skill ranks (the jump check to activate Leap Attack is reasonable easy, I think about 20) a valorous weapon ("equivalent to the Truenaming Item) and some form of pounce. More ore less same investment; but much more effective at his chosen style.

That is why I think the Truenamer disappoints.
    Of course. The amount of optimisation needed to get the Truenamer on par with tier five classes is just sad.
    And I think Leap Attack is a DC 10 jump check. Yeah, just checked, it's a 10' jump. So because you're already charging, you'll often have the running start needed to make it a DC 10 jump.
    Jude P.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

(mentions of leap attack)
    it is actually not a flat DC. you must jump at least 10 feet (if you jump with at least a 20 foot running start, then the DC is equal to the distance traveled (for a 10 foot jump, it's 10 ) but it actually is equal to the horizontal distance traveled

leap attack, despite its use with the traditional vanilla ubercharger becomes the most fun (in my opinion) when combined with a couple of things:

monk levels
    drunken master
    boosts to movement speed

drunken master's stagger ability lets you change directions in a charge. leap attack lets you combine a charge with a jump. jump checks are modified by what your movement speed is (+4 for every 10 feet it is above 30)

this is the most fun with the 3.0 drunken master from sword and fist since its movement speed goes up the most (plus full BA and less lameness)

if you charge with say a 60 foot movement speed, you have a range of 120 feet. you can move 20 feet to get a running start, jump with a bonus of at least +12 from movement (and then 8 ranks from leap attack)

combine this with power attack (of course), imp bull rush, and shock trooper for heedless charge to actually hit, domino rush to turn your enemies into bowling pins, and directional bullrush to completely control the battlefield. with your range, you can have a pretty huge degree of battlefield control as a melee character, and that's pretty awesome.

it also helps get around a traditional problem for chargers (mobility, difficult terrain, relatively short range, etc)

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #885
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Well, I've noticed recently that while there is a penalty for going to sleep in your armor, there isn't one for just not going to sleep. Ever.

Unless you are a caster, there appears to be no reason to ever sleep, and even casters spell preparation description says "rest" and not sleep. So them too arguably.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Well, I've noticed recently that while there is a penalty for going to sleep in your armor, there isn't one for just not going to sleep. Ever.

Unless you are a caster, there appears to be no reason to ever sleep, and even casters spell preparation description says "rest" and not sleep. So them too arguably.
    correct indeed.

similarly, a bigger than medium size carries a penalty to hide, but not to MS.

Iron Chef Medals!

17. - Top - End - #887

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    correct indeed.

Eh, that one I could see, bigger means more of you to hide, but you can still be graceful. For example I have no problems picturing a Large tiger having no issues moving silently, compared to even a small sized humanoid.

ps. We ended up adopting the forced march rules for staying awake.
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-08-23 at 05:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Size doesn't affect a lot of checks that it probably should.
    * Survival - Need more food each day.
    * Open Lock - Fat fingers.
    * Ride - Your poor horse.
    * Sleight of Hand - Same deal as Hide, your size makes you more obvious.
    * Balance - Picture a giant standing on a branch.
    * Escape Artist - This one could go either way, there's more of you to tie but it's probably more difficult to wiggle about.

19. - Top - End - #889

BlueKnightGuy

I just got the image of a giant with the telephone wand from the Simpsons.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Colossus in the Playground

Size doesn't affect a lot of checks that it probably should.
    * Survival - Need more food each day.
    Depends entirely on the creature's metabolism.

You don't need fingers to use Open Lock.

* Ride - Your poor horse.
    You can't ride an improperly sized mount.

* Sleight of Hand - Same deal as Hide, your size makes you more obvious.
    What? Sleight of Hand doesn't let you hide, just determine if you're skillful enough to go quickly through someone's pockets. Your size has nothing to do with that.

* Balance - Picture a giant standing on a branch.
    Why would a larger creature have a worse sense of balance?

* Escape Artist - This one could go either way, there's more of you to tie but it's probably more difficult to wiggle about.
    Why is it more difficult to wiggle about for a larger creature, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #891

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would a larger creature have a worse sense of balance?
    According to the Balance skill, it has a DC 15 check to walk across something 2-6 inches wide. It doesn't matter if your foot is half an inch wide or 5 feet wide, it's a DC 15 check. Less than 2 inch wide is DC 20, while 7-12 inches is DC 10.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

What? Sleight of Hand doesn't let you hide, just determine if you're skillful enough to go quickly through someone's pockets. Your size has nothing to do with that.
    I have a hard time imagining a giant easily rummaging through a medium sized creature's pockets.

Giant-sized hands and all
    Last edited by Antonok; 2012-08-23 at 07:44 PM.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

23. - Top - End - #893

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    I have a hard time imagining a giant easily rummaging through a medium sized creature's pockets.

Giant-sized hands and all
    They could do it using chopsticks.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

They could do it using chopsticks.
    Circumstance penalty for using inappropriate or inadequate tools. -2 or worse, I'd say. Fingers so big that each one takes up the entire mouth of a pouch? Yeah, I'd say that's a size penalty to a pickpocket attempt.

Heck, just in terms of reaction time alone, a larger creature is at a disadvantage if magic isn't involved.

25. - Top - End - #895

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Heck, just in terms of reaction time alone, a larger creature is at a disadvantage if magic isn't involved.
    Which is represented by many Large creatures having crummy Dexterity scores already.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

On the flip side, I'd figure being Large would probably help sleight of hand checks to palm or conceal items (assuming the item isn't, itself, a large item of course).
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Or stealing things from a Huge creature, whose belt a little halfling might not even be able to reach.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #898
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

When giants pickpocket halflings, they don't pick the halfling's pockets, they just pickpocket the entire halfling.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ettin in the Playground

Did someone mention Elder Brains having surprisingly decent Disguise checks? Good enough to fool your average commoner, anyway.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Did someone mention Elder Brains having surprisingly decent Disguise checks? Good enough to fool your average commoner, anyway.
    Hey, a little makeup goes a long way, especially if you're a giant brain with tentacles.
    A few odds and ends.