New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [MitP] All that glistens...

Coins go flying as the massive hoard before you rears up, looming terribly over you. With the thundering sound of metal crashing against metal, the treasure fountains up, drawn into a towering, shifting form. Glowing gemstones stare down at you as the creature raises a mighty fist, the blades of beautifully wrought swords standing out like terrible claws.

Living Hoard
    Huge Construct
    HD: 16d10+40 (128 hitpoints)
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Init: +4
    AC: 35 (-2 size, +23 natural, +4 Dex); touch 12; flat-footed 31
    BAB: +12; Grp +32
    Attack: 1 claw +22 melee (4d6+12, 19-20/x2)
    Full-Attack: 2 claws +22 melee (4d6+12, 19-20/x2)
    Space: 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
    Special Attacks: Engulf, Grinding Gold
    Special Qualities: Construct Traits, DR 15/adamantine and bludgeoning, Magic Immunity, Melt, Fluid Form, Hoard
    Saves: Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 34, Dex 19, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Skills: None
    Feats: None
    Environment: Usually underground
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 12
    Treasure: Triple normal (Gold, Gems, and Weaponry only)
    Alignment: Always Neutral
    Advancement: 17-20 Huge, 21-30 Gargantuan, 31-40 Colossal

Engulf (Ex): A living hoard can engulf Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The living hoard simply moves over the targets, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the hoard, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 31 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the hoard moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the hoard’s grinding gold ability, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body. The save DC is Strength-based and includes a +1 racial bonus.

Fluid Form (Ex): A living hoard is comprised of numerous small objects, and, as such, its form is never static. It can fit without trouble through any space that a small or larger creature could fit through, and can squeeze through a space that only a tiny or smaller creature could pass by halving its land speed. It may attack normally when moving through such enclosed spaces, but is limited to a single claw (or slam [see Melt ability]) attack per round.

Grinding Gold (Ex): As a living hoard moves, the treasure that comprises its body shifts about, creating an extremely hostile environment. Any creature grappled by the living hoard takes 6d6 points of slashing and bludgeoning damage each round.

Hoard (Ex): When motionless, a living hoard is almost impossible to distinguish from so much treasure. Short of divination spells, there is no way to determine the presence of the animating force until the creature moves.

Magic Immunity (Su): A living hoard is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals fire damage deals normal damage to a living hoard.

Melt (Ex): If a living hoard would take fire damage sufficient to destroy it, its metallic body melts into a stream of molten gold. It is restored to its full normal hit points, loses the Grinding Gold ability, and gains the following abilities:

Slam (Ex): The living hoard loses its claw attack and instead gains two slam attacks, dealing (4d6+12, 20/x2) damage.

Fire Immunity (Ex): A melted living hoard is immune to fire damage.

Cold Vulnerability (Ex): A melted living hoard takes double damage from cold effects.

Burning Touch (Ex): The living hoard’s natural weapons deal an additional 2d6 points of fire damage. In addition, the victim takes 2d6 points of fire damage each round for the next 1d10 rounds. This fire can only be extinguished by dealing 10 or more points of cold damage to the victim.

Burning Gold (Ex): Any creature grappled by the living hoard takes 6d6 point of fire damage each round.

NOTE: The CR might be a bit off...I've never been good at judging those.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2008-03-09 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Forgot one of the most important abilities...Hoard

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [MitP] All that glistens...

This is excellent. I particularly like the "Melt" option. Unfortunately, my players are new, and though I've started them at a high level, I won't be springing this on them. Great monster, though.
    *Evil grin* "Snip snip."
    Kayru, City of Ancients (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    The wizard sleeps the fighter, and/or greases him for sneak attack, and/or uses color spray. And/or makes him too weak to use his armour. And does the laundry.

Avatar by Starwoof! Thank you kind sir!

3. - Top - End - #3

[nitpick]

Average hit points should be 128.

Natural attacks should deal 4d8+12 damage, since it has more than one. Also, natural attacks are always 20/x2 unless the critter has Improved Critical or some special ability related to criticals.

It looks like you based the stat block off of a 3.0 creature; it could use some cleaning up to fit the 3.5 standard. Mechanically, I don't see anything out-of-date, though.

The second sentence of Engulf mentions a slam attack; you should clarify this.

[/nitpick]

I don't see why engulf can't be replaced by Improved Grab and either Constrict or Swallow Whole. But I'm a fan of reusing existing rules; it works fine as is.

I presume that this is a 'natural' construct: I doubt anyone would spend the money to build such a thing. But if not, then it should have rules for constructing it (I can't give any advice on that).

Some info on how these creatures are likely to be encountered and what tactics they'd take would be nice as well.

Otherwise a very neat idea. MitP: Yes

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I think that the 'melt' ability should restore as much HP as the fire damage would deal, or, alternatively, restore all fire damage it has taken (in which case it would make better sense to keep track of fire damage separately)--I think that setup might make more sense. Apart from that...
    Last edited by Maldraugedhen; 2007-07-12 at 10:18 AM.
    The road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began,
    Now far ahead the road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can--
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Meeting those who travel on the way,
    Where many paths and errands meet,
    And whither then, I cannot say.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

5. - Top - End - #5
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I'm having flashbacks to "Creeping Coins"...

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

You know you need to submit this to the main thread for it to be considered, right? I don't have the time to go chasing every thread with [MitP] in its title.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

This is AWESOME.

Mitp vote: yes

I really love it, and will definitely use it once my players are powerful enough to consider taking on a dragon with a hoard of that size.

Maybe they come in and the dragon is dead. Players get all confused, look around, decide to take the treasure. Then the treasure eats someone.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    You know you need to submit this to the main thread for it to be considered, right? I don't have the time to go chasing every thread with [MitP] in its title.
    Really? Will do, boss. First submission, so I wasn't really sure what to do about it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I like the idea. MitP: Yes
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

10. - Top - End - #10

*Bump for more votes (hopefully)*

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

There is something like this in Hackmaster... should I dig out my book to check the details?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question: How do you kill it if it's been melted? Just freeze it? 'Cause that would solidify it, but of course once it was broken apart to sell and appraise, I can only imagine that would start back up again Or am I putting too much thought into this?

Anyways:
    MitP: YES
    Wonderful avitar by Ceika!

13. - Top - End - #13

This is Haley's worst nightmare.

MitP Vote: Yes

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    This is AWESOME.

Mitp vote: yes

I really love it, and will definitely use it once my players are powerful enough to consider taking on a dragon with a hoard of that size.

Maybe they come in and the dragon is dead. Players get all confused, look around, decide to take the treasure. Then the treasure eats someone.

Mitp Vote: yes

wow, your players would have to suck to do that...unless you were really mean to them for a long time, and thought you were making up for it.
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

MITP: Yes

I don't have anything else to say so this is just filler.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Hah, hah. Surely a gold grubbing Adventurer's worst nightmare?

MitP: Yes
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I think you've found the perfect solution to overly greedy player characters.

MITP: Yes
    Tome of Advancement: A wiki of my fairly basic creations. Everything I have posted here (and more) is available on this wiki. Feel free to use anything, as long as you give me credit for it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

MitP Vote: YES

Good concept, solid execution.