New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Design "errors" in Xanathar's

IMO what melee Rangers need to be viable is mostly just a better TWF system. Putting the core of their attack style into direct competition with so many important class features is a travesty.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    You must have missed that they said back then that player picks for greater summons. They only said DM picks for lesser summons.

I understand this is confusing because both kinds of spells have the same wording in the PH. For this book they decided to double down on their clarification.

Which makes me very glad I looked at a friend's book and haven't spent a single dime on this game since the PH, DMG, and MM. I do not feel that 5e has been managed well and that the game is worse now than when it was released.
    Given the chain of replies... i honestly do not understand your point.

Is it an error to give players the ability to choose what to summon (in any case, level of power...) for you?
    It also doesn't help that i have no idea what sage advice clarification you are referring to. :D

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mer.c View Post
    IMO what melee Rangers need to be viable is mostly just a better TWF system. Putting the core of their attack style into direct competition with so many important class features is a travesty.
    Or just making less class abilities rely on bonus action. I swear, even Hunter's Mark could have just been a class feature that started with 'when you make your first attack on your turn'...
    Last edited by Specter; 2017-11-25 at 02:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mer.c View Post
    I agree with this one. I feel TWF is under-powered and more thematically adequate to classes that have already plenty of uses for bonus actions.
    Methods & Madness - my D&D 5e /OSR /game design blog.
    *5e: easy survival rules. Bringing balance to the Forge (yup!). Fort/Ref/Will.
    *OSR: One page hacks, my answer to retroclones. Would love to take ONE PAGE from YOUR book!
    *3e x 4e x 5e - Can you trip an ooze? Are miniatures required?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I do not feel that 5e has been managed well and that the game is worse now than when it was released.
    These aren't patches to a video game... you can play the game exactly the same with Phb, DMG and MM, ignoring everything that came after...
    Trollbait extraordinaire

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Diaz View Post
    I agree with this one. I feel TWF is under-powered and more thematically adequate to classes that have already plenty of uses for bonus actions.
    Just change the Dual Wielder feat to accommodate: Change the +1 AC into Your offhand attacks become part of your Attack action.
    https://twitch.tv/LapBandit - streaming D&D , D&D After Dark - Discord chat

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    These aren't patches to a video game... you can play the game exactly the same with Phb, DMG and MM, ignoring everything that came after...
    I can't undo the sage advice that ruined summoning/summoning character concepts.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I can't undo the sage advice that ruined summoning/summoning character concepts.
    Honestly, the best response is just to reiterate, These aren't patches to a video game... you can play the game exactly the same with Phb, DMG and MM, ignoring everything that came after...
    ... including the Sage Advice.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Do you guys not run or play in AL or something? Your patch analogy is actually pretty close to the D&D experience for a lot of people.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Nope. Don't play AL... This is just spitballing here, but if you Play AL, have contact with a decent group of people there, couldn't you branch off and find enough folk willing to play "not AL" on a different day? Then you get the best of both - play AL because organization and whatnot, and not AL to play the game however you want with whatever rules you want...
    Last edited by Theodoxus; 2017-11-26 at 08:47 AM.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Patches in video game, you say?
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Unoriginal; 2017-11-26 at 08:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Honestly, the best response is just to reiterate, These aren't patches to a video game... you can play the game exactly the same with Phb, DMG and MM, ignoring everything that came after...
    ... including the Sage Advice.
    Because of dev commentary, you can now reasonably assume the summoning spells were always meant to work that way. Before the sage advice, no one could have REASONABLY read the summoning spells that way.

So sure, making up a bunch of houserules and playing basically a different game is an option, but I could just be playing a BETTER game then. The only reason I would be playing 5e is because it is popular atm. Anytime I would be playing 5e, I have to live with the dev's sage advice and mismanagement. Way too many people are watching those YouTube staged TTRPG shows and assume 5e's mechanics are whats allowing professional writers and actors to put on a good show.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Diaz View Post
    I think bonus action as a whole are showing growing pains (I can see what they were going for, but the system doesn't feel right to me). It make it a matter of practice to find some use for that action every round (if at all possible) for perceived effectiveness.

I think was as a interview/dnd beyond video with Mearls discussing bonus actions and their limitations.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Wolf View Post
    I think bonus action as a whole are showing growing pains (I can see what they were going for, but the system doesn't feel right to me). It make it a matter of practice to find some use for that action every round (if at all possible) for perceived effectiveness.

I think was as a interview/dnd beyond video with Mearls discussing bonus actions and their limitations.
    Mearls needs to get the **** away from anything to do with rules.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

And yet another error I found, this time comparing Forge and War Clerics.

At level 17, War Cleric gets Avatar of Battle, which gives them resistance to nonmagical B/S/P damage.
    Forge Cleric gets Saint of Forge and Fire, which gets the same... along with immunity to fire damage.

Get it together, Wizards.

16. - Top - End - #46

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    And yet another error I found, this time comparing Forge and War Clerics.

At level 17, War Cleric gets Avatar of Battle, which gives them resistance to nonmagical B/S/P damage.
    Forge Cleric gets Saint of Forge and Fire, which gets the same... along with immunity to fire damage.

Get it together, Wizards.
    Are you assuming that the rest of the subclasses are perfectly balanced, so that you can weigh the level 17 abilities against each other in a vacuum?
    Ur-member and coffee caterer of the fan club.

I wish people would stop using phrases such as "in my humble opinion", "just my two cents", and "we're out of coffee".

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for they are out drinking coffee and, like, whatever.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

As far as balance goes, I've yet to encounter something that disgusting that it'll break the game 100 % of times it is being played.

Xanathar's has interesting options for each class. Sorcerer with the Divine Soul got what divine clerics needed.

Ranger are brand new, and new archetypes (Swashbuckler for Rogue is so good) bring new concepts on the table (College of Glamour from Bard is a good contestant for the best supporting ability in the game with Mantle of Inspiration).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Do you guys not run or play in AL or something? Your patch analogy is actually pretty close to the D&D experience for a lot of people.
    Once upon a time the AL documentation specified that Sage Advice was available for AL DMs to use as rulings at their table, but not mandatory. Has that changed? (I can't easily check now that they've put the AL documentation in the DMs Guild store.)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xetheral View Post
    Once upon a time the AL documentation specified that Sage Advice was available for AL DMs to use as rulings at their table, but not mandatory. Has that changed? (I can't easily check now that they've put the AL documentation in the DMs Guild store.)
    Lol I had to go back to see what the hell I was talking about a month ago, and if it still made any sense.

To my knowledge AL does not require Sage Advice be used. But every AL table I played at the DM used them, although that was some time ago. And I still interact with AL DMs regularly in 3 different stores while running my campaign. They tend to be internet and rules savvy people.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Lol I had to go back to see what the hell I was talking about a month ago, and if it still made any sense.

To my knowledge AL does not require Sage Advice be used. But every AL table I played at the DM used them, although that was some time ago. And I still interact with AL DMs regularly in 3 different stores while running my campaign. They tend to be internet and rules savvy people.
    Thanks! I hadn't noticed the date jump in the posts. *blushes*

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I am currently locked into AL with all my groups but I like AL and I like 5e. I like that I generally know what kind of game (no weird house rules) I am getting into.

To me it is what AD&D aspired to but took the wrong fork in the road while trying to get there.

Admiitedly being turned off by 2e steroidal detailled changes to 1e and missing the debacle that 3.x and 4e were (according to old war gamer friends who played such after starting with me in OD&D) I am content to play my Clerics, Fighters, (ranged) Rangers, and Wizards so far and am branching into Rogues and Druids without a major discontent so far.

It is the people more than the rules that make the experience.
    With one exception, I play AL games only nowdays.

I am the eternal Iconoclast.

Mountain Dwarfs Rock!

Song of Gorm Gulthyn
    Blessed be the HAMMER my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Otto von Bismarck Quotes

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee_Dragon View Post
    Are you assuming that the rest of the subclasses are perfectly balanced, so that you can weigh the level 17 abilities against each other in a vacuum?
    Unless you can state an earlier feature of the Forge Cleric that is definitely bad (not just situational, but downright weak) compared to other clerics, this is an error. This would be like Rangers getting two fighting styles at level 2 and Paladins getting only one.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I believe the design team has stated that their intent is to eventually release a revised version of the PHB ranger. I wouldn't be surprised if the apparent imbalance in the XGTE ranger subclasses is no longer present if they are applied to a revised ranger. ie, the ranger revision would include bonus spells for the Hunter & Beastmaster. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    Hexblade warlocks get two really good combat abilities at level one, while Old One warlocks get a ribbon. That has to be an error, right?
    No, it's an attempt to make a Bladepact Warlock viable, since before Hexblade existed the best melee Warlock you got was a tome warlock who picked up Shillelagh and went Green Flame Blade/Booming Blade and PAM/Sentinel.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Unless you can state an earlier feature of the Forge Cleric that is definitely bad (not just situational, but downright weak) compared to other clerics, this is an error. This would be like Rangers getting two fighting styles at level 2 and Paladins getting only one.
    Their Channel Divinity is a fairly fluffy noncombat option that largely exists to save you a trip to the local smith or arms merchant, their Divine Strike deals commonly-resisted fire damage instead of commonly-vulnerable radiant, and they're a melee-focused subclass that doesn't get additional weapon proficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    No, it's an attempt to make a Bladepact Warlock viable, since before Hexblade existed the best melee Warlock you got was a tome warlock who picked up Shillelagh and went Green Flame Blade/Booming Blade and PAM/Sentinel.
    It's about exactly what people clamored for for Bladelocks-- the armor proficiencies they desperately needed, and a Cha-to-attack so they weren't "behind" compared to Eldritch Blasters. It's just a sloppy patch that clearly was made without multiclassing in mind.

(Me, I'd have suggested a Warlock cantrip that works kind of like Shillelagh-- activate as a bonus action for Cha-to-attack and an increased damage die with... oh, let's say daggers or sickles, those sound Warlock-y... or your Pact Weapon. Boom, good gishing for an equal price to Eldritch Blast-ing (one cantrip and one invocation), and if you want to pick it up without dipping, you're tying yourself into an inferior weapon and an action cost)
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2018-01-02 at 04:02 PM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

26. - Top - End - #56

DrowGuy

Side tangent: EK's War Magic is great for the 7-10 period before Extra Attack II. Greenflame+second attack every turn is pretty legit, all things considered, especially since you're playing a Str/Int class that doesn't need multiclassing to be quite enjoyable...
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede View Post
    Hexblade warlocks get two really good combat abilities at level one, while Old One warlocks get a ribbon. That has to be an error, right?
    Always-on, silent telepathic communication with all intelligent beings, bypassing language barriers entirely (with its only limitation being 30ft range) is a pretty freaking good non-combat ability. I wouldn't really call it a "ribbon" to be honest. Not saying it's necessarily of the same power as the hexblade's abilities, but it ain't nothing.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBPuffin View Post
    Side tangent: EK's War Magic is great for the 7-10 period before Extra Attack II. Greenflame+second attack every turn is pretty legit, all things considered, especially since you're playing a Str/Int class that doesn't need multiclassing to be quite enjoyable...
    Before the SCAG cantrips, it was generally superior to War Magic as opposed to 3 attacks, unless you were GWM or SS. Since SCAG, it's always superior to War Magic over 3 attacks, unless (again) GWM or SS.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Their Channel Divinity is a fairly fluffy noncombat option that largely exists to save you a trip to the local smith or arms merchant, their Divine Strike deals commonly-resisted fire damage instead of commonly-vulnerable radiant, and they're a melee-focused subclass that doesn't get additional weapon proficiencies.
    Most of Knowledge Cleric's abilities aren't combat-related either, but no one's complained. Different strokes. But same stroke with an extra stroke? That's bad.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Before the SCAG cantrips, it was generally superior to War Magic as opposed to 3 attacks, unless you were GWM or SS. Since SCAG, it's always superior to War Magic over 3 attacks, unless (again) GWM or SS.
    And sometimes, you can get similar damage than you would with an extra attack, but with an effect you need (Ray of Frost, Frostbite).