New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1163 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    Would the writings of Terry Pratchett be of at least equal quality to say, the majority of Shakespeare's plays, Homer's epics, Dante's Divine Comedy, or Tolkien's Legendarium? Also, feel free to add other works to this list of Greats. What I suppose I'm getting at, is Pratchett a member of the greatest writers of all time (or at least scince 5000 B.C.E)?
    Probably not. But i’d he’s probably one of the best British authors in the last 100 years.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Pratchett was writing at a different time in a market that was overloaded with pulp fantasy novels and films
    He also suffered from an era of arty novels - so we get elitist reviewers who rave about people who only ever publish one novel which is about their guilt over self-abuse as a middle class teenager. And they hate that genre fiction then sells so much more
    Pratchett to me is on a level with h g Wells
    Read jingo - and then realise he wrote it as a response to desert shield and it ended up published during desert storm, and still resonates today
    I would also add that Shakespeare at the time wasn’t high art - that’s why theres so much slapstick in some of the plays. It’s what people have seen in Shakespeare and his revival at the same time that theatre became respectable that we now see him as so great
    As with so many great writers the reviewers only praise them when they are dead and focus on arty writers whilst they are still alive.
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2019-05-20 at 09:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    Would the writings of Terry Pratchett be of at least equal quality to say, the majority of Shakespeare's plays, Homer's epics, Dante's Divine Comedy, or Tolkien's Legendarium? Also, feel free to add other works to this list of Greats. What I suppose I'm getting at, is Pratchett a member of the greatest writers of all time (or at least scince 5000 B.C.E)?
    I think he is easily funnier than Shakespeare's comedies, yes. And I'd put him at about the same level of satire as Dante, except likely to date a little slower (less dependence on actual named real life characters, and more making fun of human archetypes). But that's the thing about humour: it is extremely dependent on contemporary culture. Which is why I pointed out that the vast bulk of humanity would not find him (or Shakespeare) particularly relevant.

As to the others, they can't really be compared, since they aren't the same genre.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #364
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

One of the gentle bits of humour is the reference to who the opera ghost is and what granny says to that person in the epilogue - something that perhaps only Brits of a certain age would understand
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    That said, you do need to remember you are about to read parody, satire and humour.
    Theres a word for that, it's called "British."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Theres a word for that, it's called "British."
    I'd recommend some fairly decent parody, satire and humour in my native language, but I am fairly certain you can't read it, I'd rather not say which one it is, and I doubt it translates well, if if translates at all (Discworld translations are... erratic in quality at best; I can't imagine it works any better in reverse).

Britain doesn't have exclusivity in any of the above, is my point.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-20 at 11:46 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #367

I'd recommend some fairly decent parody, satire and humour in my native language, but I am fairly certain you can't read it

Grey Wolf
    Considering my belief that you are a time-traveling Roman who only claims to get their knowledge of that civilization from podcasts in an attempt to stifle suspicion, coupled with my thorough grounding in Latin due to four years of study in high school, I can absolutely assure you that I cannot read a word of it anymore.

Also i wish to congratulate you on your shockingly high level of assimilation of technology and culture two thousand years past your time, my lupine friend.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Considering my belief that you are a time-traveling Roman who only claims to get their knowledge of that civilization from podcasts in an attempt to stifle suspicion, coupled with my thorough grounding in Latin due to four years of study in high school, I can absolutely assure you that I cannot read a word of it anymore.

Also i wish to congratulate you on your shockingly high level of assimilation of technology and culture two thousand years past your time, my lupine friend.
    grey wolf s actually a lizard.
    tryst me.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

I'm time travelling as fast as you are. I just chose not to die until I visited the moon.

It's taken a while.

Grey Wolf

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    tryst me.
    I'd rather not, if you don't mind.
    I'm time travelling as fast as you are. I just chose not to die until I visited the moon.

It's taken a while.

Grey Wolf
    That's an excellent plan, and one I think I should adopt as well.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-05-21 at 08:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

That's an excellent plan, and one I think I should adopt as well.
    I may have stolen it from Girl Genius.

Unless, of course, they stole it from me.

Grey Wolf

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

I'd rather not, if you don't mind.
    If was going for that joke, but according to Merriam-Webster, that just means «meeting».
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-21 at 08:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If was going for that joke, but according to Merriam-Webster, that just means «meeting».
    It's mostly a meeting between lovers though.
    ungelic is us

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

The Cambridge dictionary much more clearly specifies the romantic (and secretive) nature of a tryst:

tryst
    noun [ C ] UK ​ /trɪst/ US ​ /trɪst/ old use or humorous

a meeting between two people who are having a romantic relationship, especially a secret one.
    ETA: I always got the feeling it implied the relationship to be short in duration, too, but I don't see that substantiated in any of the dictionaries. Hmmm.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-21 at 08:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #375

Those prudes.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The Cambridge dictionary much more clearly specifies the romantic (and secretive) nature of a tryst:

ETA: I always got the feeling it implied the relationship to be short in duration, too, but I don't see that substantiated in any of the dictionaries. Hmmm.

Grey Wolf
    And now I'm thinking if tryst and trust have any relation, etymologically speaking. Besides the proximity of "y" and "u" in a standard keyboard, I mean.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

ETA: I always got the feeling it implied the relationship to be short in duration, too, but I don't see that substantiated in any of the dictionaries.
    When I first learned of that term, it's connotation was explained as both "illicit" (philandering, typically) and brief in time due to not wanting to be caught. But it wasn't implied as being a one off, so having multiple trysts with one's mistress or secret beau would be expected.

One could argue "a quick one while he's away" in terms of urgency.

That said, it makes Kaa's "Trust in Me" song to Mowgli, if spelled by an errant index finger "Tryst in Me" a bit out of line for a movie aimed at kids. (Jungle Book, Disney, original cartoon)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2019-05-21 at 09:00 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    And now I'm thinking if tryst and trust have any relation, etymologically speaking. Besides the proximity of "y" and "u" in a standard keyboard, I mean.
    The etymologies seem unrelated beyond PIE.

Spoiler: Large quotes
    Show
    tryst (n.)
    late 14c., "appointment to meet at a certain time and place," from Old French tristre "waiting place, appointed station in hunting," probably from a Scandinavian source such as Old Norse treysta "to trust, make firm," from Proto-Germanic *treuwaz "having or characterized by good faith," from PIE *drew-o-, a suffixed form of the root *deru- "be firm, solid, steadfast." The notion would be "place one waits trustingly." As a verb, late 14c. Related: Trysting.
    trust (n.)
    c. 1200, "reliance on the veracity, integrity, or other virtues of someone or something; religious faith," from Old Norse traust "help, confidence, protection, support," from Proto-Germanic abstract noun *traustam (source also of Old Frisian trast, Dutch troost "comfort, consolation," Old High German trost "trust, fidelity," German Trost "comfort, consolation," Gothic trausti "agreement, alliance"), from Proto-Germanic *treuwaz, source of Old English treowian "to believe, trust," and treowe "faithful, trusty," from PIE root *deru- "be firm, solid, steadfast."

from c. 1300 as "reliability, trustworthiness; trustiness, fidelity, faithfulness;" from late 14c. as "confident expectation" and "that on which one relies." From early 15c. in legal sense of "confidence placed in a one who holds or enjoys the use of property entrusted to him by its legal owner;" mid-15c. as "condition of being legally entrusted." Meaning "businesses organized to reduce competition" is recorded from 1877. Trust-buster is recorded from 1903.

Grey Wolf

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if all you're going to give me is bars to jump over so low that earthworms can pass them without surfacing, that is certainly an easy answer.
    Grey Wolf
    I have got to use some variation of that line some day.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #380

Lizardfolk

get this....
    It was actually a typo...
    on akeyboard y and u are right beside eachother.....
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    get this....
    It was actually a typo...
    on akeyboard y and u are right beside eachother.....
    I know it was a typo. You do not exactly hold the record for "less likely to make a typo" on these forums, you know.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #382

Lizardfolk

I know it was a typo. You do not exactly hold the record for "less likely to make a typo" on these forums, you know.
    what? Never...
    (mutters something about using the internet on a reading device)
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.