New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 3: Mystery Solved!

No feelings.

She is just going through the motions.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    Intelligence, right? It's imagination and will that allows humanity to unconsciously affect the Ether. That's the game-changer.
    Oh no... we're going to go to war with the Dolphin Gods, aren't we?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2012-11-14 at 09:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Oh no... we're going to go to war with the Dolphin Gods, aren't we?
    No, they're only here for the fish.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    No feelings.

She is just going through the motions.
    Faking it somehow.

She's not even half the girl she--OW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

So Jones cannot be broken and is not a golem, hm? Tom is really wheeling out the pages to rule out all options one by one.

(And she is also not of stone either... figured.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ettin in the Playground

I know! Lets clone her and use her bodies to construct spaceships!

7. - Top - End - #877
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Jones - Sui Generis

8. - Top - End - #878
    Troll in the Playground

And Jones recreates Pop Rocks.

I wonder what's going to happen when Annie recounts what happened in the Forest and asks Jones about stars...

9. - Top - End - #879
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wonder who would win in a Jones vs Jeanne (Is that her name? Ghost girl) fight. Or if we might see something like that eventually. I would like that.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them could affect the other in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah... things kinda look like both of them exist in planes that cannot access the other one at all. (Purely ether vs no ether.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #882
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ooo, ooo! Stuff Jeanne into Jones!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #883
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

At this point the theory that she is an earth elemental seems to still be a possibility. The fact that she broke the stone does not disprove it, because some stones are harder than others. The fact that her earliest memory is being in molten rock seems to support being an earth elemental. Whether this is the right explanation or not, I do think that there will be an explanation at some future time in the story.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

If she truly lacked emotions and feelings, why would she be drawing to creatures that happened to look like her?
    Her emotions work differently than humans to a certain degree, they would have to be for her to remain whatever her brand of sane is for billions of years, but if she has desires at all, she has emotions.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-14 at 11:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

15. - Top - End - #885
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ooo, ooo! Stuff Jeanne into Jones!
    You'd want to resolve her hate and 'kill everything that lives' issues first. Otherwise you'd have a super strong, unkillable killing machine.

Although I'm hoping more they can break whatever is holding Jeanne in the Chasm and let her go off and be with Mr. Green Elf in the Ether, making the world spin...

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Momo View Post
    At this point the theory that she is an earth elemental seems to still be a possibility.
    I find the earth elemental hypothesis very unlikely.

For one, most of the spiritual entities seem to be tied to the ether, fire elementals included- now, that doesn't necessarily mean that earth elementals must be tied to the ether, but it seems very likely to me that they are.

For another, presumably there is more than one earth elemental. It's not a unique type of being. If there were others, Jones (in her vast, vast time alive) would have met at least one, surely. And if she hasn't had a chance because they only recently came into being with humans... then that means she isn't really an elemental, is she?

The possibility is still there, but I find the probability to be exceptionally low.

My guess is that Jones is basically something entirely different in the Gunnerkrigg cosmology. She is not human, she is not an ether related spirit. The existence of Jones hints at something else that we haven't been introduced to yet.

I almost wonder if this is somehow related to what is up with Kat. Kat seems entirely unrelated to the ether as well, and yet there is obviously something very strange about her, from the regard of the robots to how Zimmy sees her.

Here's one silly possibility I want to bring up: Jones said she doesn't know what she is. So how does she know she isn't a robot?

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Kat is an engineer and a scientist in a world that doesn't quite follow the rules she thought it did.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    If she truly lacked emotions and feelings, why would she be drawing to creatures that happened to look like her?
    I don't think she is. In fact Ive only seen her be moved by other peoples ambitions.

She was granted the manor, she was forced out of Rome or whatever, she had her mansion taken away from her (She made nearly no effort to conceal herself). Other people even granted her her names.

If anything WE are shoving HER around.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think she is. In fact Ive only seen her be moved by other peoples ambitions.

She was granted the manor, she was forced out of Rome or whatever, she had her mansion taken away from her (She made nearly no effort to conceal herself). Other people even granted her her names.

If anything WE are shoving HER around.
    If she felt no draw to us, she could easily have avoided us, say by spending a few million years wandering the ocean floor, waiting for us to go extinct.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ettin in the Playground

That would imply she was annoyed by us. Again: No emotions.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That would imply she was annoyed by us. Again: No emotions.
    I don't think it's "No Emotions" so much as "Muted emotions". She's clearly got enough emotion to have relationships, and she feels enough emotion to respect the wishes of others. She accepted the estate out of respect for mister eyepatch dude's wishes. Same with her taking up the name "Jones".

She has no real physical needs. If she is capable of physical discomfort, an eon neck-deep in lava probably got rid of it. The fact that she helps people at all indicates some sort of emotional connection, albeit a very slight one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ettin in the Playground

I disagree. Outside of her providing comfort to whats his face I always see her actions as a "Why not?" response.

Shes just doing things as they fall into her lap and loosing them the same way as well.

Shes just wandering through life. Just my theory.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

My point about her walking the ocean floor is she had to look to find humans. We weren't always the pan-continental species we are today. Once, we were restricted to several thousand, likely in a small part of Africa.
    Also, she cares about Eglamore's feelings enough to try and comfort him.
    That speaks of some form of emotional connection to Apeling's beyond ultimate apthy. Further, why did she stop that bull? It is unlikely it would have done her any harm and she has no physical needs as far as we can tell. A desire to help or protect others are both emotions, particularly for an immortal, nigh-invulnerably being.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-15 at 02:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I disagree. Outside of her providing comfort to whats his face I always see her actions as a "Why not?" response.

Shes just doing things as they fall into her lap and loosing them the same way as well.

Shes just wandering through life. Just my theory.
    Shes certainly just wandering, but the fact that she wanders at all indicates some sort of connection.
    As I see it, we have exactly two motivations to do anything: Physical and Emotional ( Some could argue mental, curiosity for example, as a third category, but I'm wrapping that into Emotional). Jones has no physical drives. She dosn't need to eat, drink, or breathe. She can't be hurt, so she has no need to avoid physical injury.
    If she had no emotions at all, she would have no motivation to do anything at all. Nothing could offer reward or punishment for her.

She is emotionless enough to simply accept it when she is driven from the village where she has been living. But something motivated her to join that village in the first place, and something motivated her to leave when they drove her out. She could have just sat there, ignoring any weapon that was used against her.

If she was really just going through the world, taking requests as "Why Not", then what happens if Coyote says "Hey, go punch holes in the walls of all the buildings in the court" and she says "Sure, why not".
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

I donno. Maybe she just does the things asked of her.

And the Court said "Don't obey Coyote"

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I donno. Maybe she just does the things asked of her.

And the Court said "Don't obey Coyote"
    But why does she obey the court before Coyote. Why obey anybody at all. She avoids identifying with either the court or the forest, did somebody tell her to do that? Did somebody tell her to cross the Gobi desert, did somebody tell her to become a governess. And why is she obeying these people in the first place. There is nothing she can be offered or threatened with. Why isn't she just sitting on the bottom of the ocean waiting for the world to end? How did she learn to speak any language in the first place. Did she just stand there until one day a group of neanderthals were able to communicate that she should wrestle a buffalo.
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Cro-Magnon, not Neanderthals. There is physiological and likely psychological differences, but yes, I agree with your basic point. Emotions are more than what Mr. Spock represses and Data claims he lacks.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-15 at 03:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

Im just mostly don't want another "She/ he totes has feelings! Just muted!" like you pointed out Data and spock have.

I just think it would be both more interesting and creepier if she GENUINELY feels nothing. And is just doing this just because.

It could be interesting to find out why she is doing this then.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Except that is completely counter with her present and past behaviour.
    It may be a calm sea compared to the inner storm that rages within the hominid affectionately known as Homo sapiens sapiens, but it still has ripples and currents that are quite evident, in my opinion.
    A least once a person* has suffered an accident that left him without emotion.
    They weren't like Jones at all. Instead, they were terminally indecisive, staying in the shower for hours, or going back and forth, unable to commit to one task, and that is a creature with distinct physiological needs.
    *Source: 'How the Mind Works', Steven Pinker.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-11-15 at 03:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

More interesting, sure, but also much more difficult to see turn out satisfactorily without retconning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide