New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

smile Greetings from Erfworld

Hi, everyone! We're psyched to be here and hope you will enjoy our show.

Prior to launch there will be more preview graphics and information about the comic, so watch for that.

Erfworld will be a full-size, full-color graphic novel, which will wind up when it reaches around 80 or 90 pages (depending on some of Jamie's art choices). On launch day, you will get a full six-page bloc to help give you an introduction to the setting, the characters, and the action that's to come.

This project has been in development since March, and Jamie and I have been hard at work during that time building this story, these characters, and this world. We hope you will all enjoy it for what it is, and not judge it too harshly for what it is not (namely, it's not OOTS!).

Rich and I have been friends and mutual fans for several years now (note the Supercollider project, and my quote on the cover of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools). Jamie and I started Erfworld with the intention of building it up as its own webcomic. However, around summertime, when we were making plans to exhibit at San Diego Comic Con with Sluggy Freelance and Fragile Gravity, Rich mentioned a plan of his...

He said he was looking for a Fantasy story comic to run at GiantITP and update on days when OOTS does not, and to be a new property to include in his plans to keep expanding GiantITP. It's one of those bizarre coincidences that Erfworld exactly matched what he was looking for, in tone, genre, type, art style, and duration.

So, four more months of planning and preparation later, here we are! There may be more in store for the future of Erfworld, potentially entwined with the future of GiantITP itself. But for now, this is a story, plain and simple. We're out to entertain you guys with it, and we're happy to be able to do that by playing sideshow to The Giant's bigtop.

I'm sure Jamie will want to post a greeting, too. And I'll see if I can answer any questions posted here, as long as they don't involve spoiling the fun.
    Rob Balder, Erfworld author/co-creator, and creator of PartiallyClips

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Greetings from Erfworld

*waves*

Hi all! Thanks for the kind words regarding the art. We were nervous about the reaction you fine folks would have to what I've been drawing so thank you for the support. And for those who aren't such fans, just wait until you see some of the stuff Rob has come up with. The writing should make up for any of the flaws in the artwork.

I hope you guys give us a chance. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this either, but feel free to also blast away. Rob and I have pretty thick skins and can take criticism.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting Erfworld out there and hanging out here in the forum.

Thanks again!
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm looking forward to erfworld, the artistic style looks great and From what I've seen of PC Rob's writing is very good.

Gezina van den Vechte, robber of souls, slayer of celestials and future queen of the world.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's good to have you here, Rob. I love PartiallyClips, and having seen the glimpse of the Erfworld art, I can't wait to see it. It looks great, it's a nicely different style to OOTS so you can quickly assert that your comic is different to OOTS. And having another great comic to read on the same site will be wonderful.

Hopefully Erfworld's association with GiantITP will be a long and fruitful one for both parties.
    eldhrin love
    fan

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm really looking forward to Erfworld...the art style looks awesome and it seems lik eit will mesh well with the giant site.

Welcome!!!!
    Everyone should have a good, healthy fear of their DM.

pimp, pimp, pimp the DevArt page!!!

Spoiler
    Show

Now taking avatar requests!!! PM Please!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wellcome to Giant in the Playground. Hopefully we'll see you in the SMBG some time, I look foreward to stabbitying you in the back. *grins*

We're all freindly here, most of us don't bite. (Although Bookman might...) Many of us stick to hitting you on the head with sticks! Or magic, in my case. ;)
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Just want to say, "Welcome!"

I'm really looking forward to Thursday. Looks like a fun comic.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Awesome! Combining the mighty pens of Rob Balder and Rich Burlew will put us all in Webcomic Nirvana!

Seriously, OotS and PC are the only webcomics I check on a daily basis for updates. This is going to rule.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks pretty good. However, judgement will be reserved for the actual strip. Welcome to Giant in the Playground.
    Hot Tip - Don't annoy the mods.
    [This signature still in committee.]

10. - Top - End - #10

Chimera

I have no idea what's going on, but I will likely end up reading anyway. That's probably the best way to find out the happenings around here...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Good luck, now i get "comicy" goodness mon-fri (who am I kidding? tue-sat:)

See the my gallery Currently taking requests

DarkandEvil's Haley as Asuna

I am the Traffic Demon!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DArKandEViL View Post
    Good luck, now i get "comicy" goodness mon-fri (who am I kidding? tue-sat:)
    Well, that all depends on how Messrs. Balder and Noguchi's update practices stack up against those of Mr. Burlew. Might wind up being more like double-comics on Tues and Thurs with a single comic on Sat.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    Well, that all depends on how Messrs. Balder and Noguchi's update practices stack up against those of Mr. Burlew. Might wind up being more like double-comics on Tues and Thurs with a single comic on Sat.
    I can assure you all that updating regularly is foremost on our minds. We know that the success of a sequential story like the one we're going to tell depends greatly on regular updates. We're going to do our very best to get these pages out to you. We love doing them and we surely want to share.

Rob has a pretty decent track record with Partially Clips and he's way ahead of me in terms of scripting. For my part, at one point I was updating Angry Zen Master five times a week. Of course, the art is much more detailed on Erfworld, but I've worked in the comic book industry where deadlines are life's blood so I know what it takes to get things out on time.

Both of us work full time so the ultimate challenge for us is to get Erfworld done, maintain quality, and still get it out on time. We're up for it. If we miss an update, you can be sure we'll let you know why and when if possible.
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking forward to this. I've seen your PartiallySluggy work and was impressed. Of course, this is nothing like that, but still!

Oh, and good on ya' for mentioning Sluggy! Especially with a link!
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Re: Greetings from Erfworld

Wow... this looks like a sensible conversation. Enjoy it whilst you can you two, once your new comic has an established fanbase the inteligent responses to anything you say will be hard to find amongst all the cries of 'OMG 1st!!!11!!"

And on that topic, it would appear that Gezina is infact 1st. 1st ever to be 1st to respond to a topic from our new artist/writer combo. It don't get anymore first than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    I'm looking forward to erfworld, the artistic style looks great and From what I've seen of PC Rob's writing is very good.

Gezina van den Vechte, robber of souls, slayer of celestials and future queen of the world.
    on a more serious note, I look forward to the new comic :)
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist.
    Children already know that dragons exist.
    Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    Rob has a pretty decent track record with Partially Clips
    Well, I did. Until I started writing Erfworld.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

btw,

your work on supercollider rocked.

Though I must say it will be interesting to see what the style winds up like... since this sounds like Erfworld is going to be a protracted narrative story rather than a series of clips. I am eager to see what you can do with the new format

(well... new for you as far as I can tell... though I haven't read everything you've ever written so it's entirely possible you've done stuff like this before)
    - G. K. Chesterton

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Welcome to Erf</willsmith>

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I can assure you all that updating regularly is foremost on our minds. We know that the success of a sequential story like the one we're going to tell depends greatly on regular updates. We're going to do our very best to get these pages out to you. We love doing them and we surely want to share.
    Well, Rich updates regularly too. It's just whereas many authors try to say, "Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday by 6:00 a.m. Eastern Time" or somesuch, Riche's policy is, "Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, any time that day by midnight." For those of us with early bedtimes that often translates to, "First thing in the morning on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday," because, like most artists, Rich usually uses as much time as the deadline allows to get everything just right.

So it's quite regular. It's just that how you describe the schedule depends on your perspective.

(( Of course, the above statement is somewhat Ameri-centric, or however you want to say it. The Midnight deadline is a perfectly, easy to meet Noon deadline on the other side of the world. ))

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

"First thing in the morning on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday,"

So it's quite regular. It's just that how you describe the schedule depends on your perspective.

(( Of course, the above statement is somewhat Ameri-centric, or however you want to say it. The Midnight deadline is a perfectly, easy to meet Noon deadline on the other side of the world. ))
    I know that her in Europe it's always first thing in the morning.

And now it will be a feast to start up my PC every morning. I am really looking forward to your comic.
    Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Its only 9pm here (or maybe 10 since daylight savings changed) when it is midnight for Rich and he is seldom getting them up by then, though he did great for a little while when he first went back to the 3 days a week thing, up until people starting crashing the servers for the updates. Most of his "comic is up" posts happen between about 2-7am Mountain time.

So we'll see how the alternating day posts things work out, probably end up being OOTS Tue morning, Erfworld Tue night, same on Thursday. But it will all be good either way.

As of right now I haven't read much of anything by either of you, but I'm not really a web-comic junkie, theres only 2-3 I read. I'll just have to wait and see how it all goes.

22. - Top - End - #22

SamuraiGuy

I'm really looking forward to the day when all of my internet browsing needs can be met here on GiantITP (except Wiki - irreplaceable!). This is just the first (or maybe, like, the 10th) step on Rich's Global Domination plan! Go you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

23. - Top - End - #23

WolfInSheepsClothing

I can't wait for Erfworld to start up. I took some time and read through PartiallyClips and Angry Zen Master. This is going to be awesome!
    Last edited by Jacklu; 2006-12-04 at 07:31 PM.
    Still not really here. Still just an illusion.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

On a good week the monday strip is up before I leave work tuesday afternoon, so I figure his deadline is about 3pm in my country.

And I think it's probably safe to assume that since Rich will be the one actually posting erfworld, the deadlines will be fairly synchronous (though on different days obviously). Particularly since I have a sneaking suspicion the alterior motive to adding a new comic was to get us off his back.
    - G. K. Chesterton

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Cant wait till thursday.I have read a little of Angry Zen Master and Im starting PartiallyClips. Heh, I wonder how long it will take for people to start attempting to make erfworld avatars....
    Steam: Foolish Chaos
    Spoiler
    Show
    Freaking awesome TF2 banner by: Pyro

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxis_IronForge View Post
    btw,
    your work on supercollider rocked.
    Thank you! I had a lot of fun with that project. Hope there's another one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxis_IronForge View Post
    Though I must say it will be interesting to see what the style winds up like... since this sounds like Erfworld is going to be a protracted narrative story rather than a series of clips. I am eager to see what you can do with the new format

(well... new for you as far as I can tell... though I haven't read everything you've ever written so it's entirely possible you've done stuff like this before)
    A long, long time ago I tried writing a story comic. This was before the web. My illustrator and I tried to get it published with Antarctic Press and they said it was too violent. So I turned the story into a novel, which was never published. But at least I got 3 hours credit toward my English degree for it. That may be more than most first novels earn. :)

I am having a blast working in this medium. It's letting me try out all kinds of unfamiliar writing techniques and styles. I can't write physical gags in PartiallyClips, for example. But the main thing is: now I can finally create real characters who play out their lives in a real story. I haven't used my storytelling chops in seems like forever.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Myatar_Panwar View Post
    Cant wait till thursday.I have read a little of Angry Zen Master and Im starting PartiallyClips. Heh, I wonder how long it will take for people to start attempting to make erfworld avatars....
    Done and done.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cytherea View Post
    Done and done.
    Indeed. I have a complete set of icons in 120- and 100-pixels-square sizes, mostly cropped from the cast page, here. (I got some resized versions of Wanda from Rob, because the icons cut her hands off and it looked weird as a result.)

I recommend you upload them to your own server space - I'll try to keep them in place, but I may alter them if I get better images to work with, and I might rearrange my directories at some point.
    Last edited by Darth Paradox; 2006-12-07 at 01:23 AM. Reason: URL fix

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    Hi, everyone! We're psyched to be here and hope you will enjoy our show.
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting Erfworld out there and hanging out here in the forum.

Thanks again!
    Just read the first comic block, and it looks amazing. I'm having good visions of this being super-popular in the future and being able to say I was there from strip #1 : )
    If you rearrange the letters in Vin Diesel's name, you get his credo: I End Lives.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey Rob,

Any chance of having Rich, post that original novel of yours in the Stories section? Maybe a chapter a week or something?

We're just geeky enough that no matter how cr@ppy it is, we'll probably read and collect it anyway.

If it really is good, then thats just a bonus
    Always spread Vegimite behind your ears to prevent attack by drop bears.
    SHADOWGIRLS FLIPSIDE