New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Cards
    As for how to get your cards? The five rectangles by your spirit bar are your card gauge. When you deal damage, take damage or fire projectiles/use special moves, your gauge charges up. When a rectangle fills up, you draw a card. Your hand holds a maximum of 5, and your deck has 20 cards in it. Simple enough. Some characters do better at charging the gauge quickly, and the system means that going pure melee is going to end with you having far less cards than your opponent.

Deckbuilding

Oh, and by the way, no, I can't give good decklists here. You can consult me for help, but in the end, different things work for different people. That said, I can tell you that Magic Potions have no business existing. At the very least, replace them with Grimoires.
    Just some notes I want to add, taken from the Wiki...

There are three main ways of filling the card slots: connecting hits, spending spirit, and having the opponent connect hits on you. In Hisoutensoku, each slot in your hand requires 500 card points to draw, unlike in SWR. There is no difference in how long the cards take to draw.

Connecting hits (blocked or unblocked) fills the gauges rather fast, with an amount that seems proportional to the attack's base damage. Firing B bullets gives you 30 points, firing charged B bullets gives you 50 points, firing any C bullets, charged or not, gives you 50 points. Doing a special gives 50 points, however there are some exceptions to this. Spells do not give points towards drawing cards. Taking damage also gives you points towards your next card, at the rate of 1 point every 20 health lost, meaning you gain a card from damage upon taking 10k damage. Chip damage and gradual damage, such as from Yuyuko's or Reisen's poison spells, do not give any card points, however.

Also, the Magic Potion card has its uses. The Magic Potion system card will greatly increase your spirit regeneration for a duration, and instantly recover crushed orbs. You know when you hear a "clank" sort of noise if you block incorrectly and see one of your spirit orbs turn orange? That means it's been crushed, which renders it unusable until it's restored. This would only otherwise be possible by waiting, so if you've had several orbs crushed by wrongblocking or Border Escaping, Magic Potions can be very useful. Or if you just like spamming bullets.
    Youmu "Myon" Konpaku avatar by Prime32, avatar creator extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, instead of spouting random stuff like I normaly do, I'll link everyone to some useful tutorial videos. The stuff he talks about in the videos has already been covered, but sometimes it's nice to see it instead of reading it.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

The only thing you should disregard in these videos, is how to netplay, as we will be using Tunngle to connect to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_In_Tonic View Post
    HATE. LOTS OF HATE. DIRECTED AT YOU, DRIZVOLTA. OH GOD MY MIND.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Well, I think the solution is clear. Don't download Steam if you don't have legs.
    Thank you Prime32 for the Rumia avatar!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Of course, "practice makes perfect." So if anyone feels like playing over Netplay/Tunngle, I'm up for some games (like always). This way, you'll get practice against actual people; strategies developed solely from playing against the computer generally don't work so well against humans, since the computer isn't very smart when it comes to defense.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    Just some notes I want to add, taken from the Wiki...

There are three main ways of filling the card slots: connecting hits, spending spirit, and having the opponent connect hits on you. In Hisoutensoku, each slot in your hand requires 500 card points to draw, unlike in SWR. There is no difference in how long the cards take to draw.

Connecting hits (blocked or unblocked) fills the gauges rather fast, with an amount that seems proportional to the attack's base damage. Firing B bullets gives you 30 points, firing charged B bullets gives you 50 points, firing any C bullets, charged or not, gives you 50 points. Doing a special gives 50 points, however there are some exceptions to this. Spells do not give points towards drawing cards. Taking damage also gives you points towards your next card, at the rate of 1 point every 20 health lost, meaning you gain a card from damage upon taking 10k damage. Chip damage and gradual damage, such as from Yuyuko's or Reisen's poison spells, do not give any card points, however.
    Thanks.

Also, the Magic Potion card has its uses. The Magic Potion system card will greatly increase your spirit regeneration for a duration, and instantly recover crushed orbs. You know when you hear a "clank" sort of noise if you block incorrectly and see one of your spirit orbs turn orange? That means it's been crushed, which renders it unusable until it's restored. This would only otherwise be possible by waiting, so if you've had several orbs crushed by wrongblocking or Border Escaping, Magic Potions can be very useful. Or if you just like spamming bullets.
    Well, excuse my irrational hatred, then
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm livestreaming Touhouvania 2 with the new english patch here.
    Well, I think the solution is clear. Don't download Steam if you don't have legs.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looking for people willing to stream and commentate the Hisoutensoku Ranbat matches, send a message.

Ranbat starts tomorrow, cutoff date in 12.3 hours!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I must admit that I'm not a major touhou fan as such... but I find this downfall video to be hilarious, and I just wanted to share it. And another semi-related one.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

8. - Top - End - #158

Hisoutensoku Ranbat Update

Cutoff date is over! Thanks to Tio Tournament Organizer, here are the matches for round 1:

Round 1 Matchups
    Spoiler
    Show

Eifieflare
    vs.
    Bye

Cogwheel
    vs.
    Anonymoose

Drizvolta

vs.
    Sepharian Concytus

KBF
    vs.
    Bye

Penguinator
    vs.
    Dispozition

Kamiye
    vs.
    Bye

Volatar
    vs.
    Alterform

If you got a Bye, you have no opponent this round. Please wait warmly until Round 2 is ready
    If you have an opponent, please try finish your match within day or two.
    Please schedule a match ahead of time. After two days, you will need to work out a scheduled time or you will be disqualified.

Player Info:
    Spoiler
    Show

Alterform
    Profile Name: Alterform
    Tunngle Username: Alterform
    Registered Character: Patchouli

Anonymoose
    Profile Name: Anonymoose
    Tunngle Username: Anonymoose314159
    Registered Character: Marissa

Cogwheel
    profile Name: Cogwheel
    Tunngle Username: Cogwheel
    Character: Suika

Dispozition
    Profile Name: Dispozition
    Tunngle Username: Dispozition
    Registered Character: Utsuho

Drizvolta
    Profile Name: Drizvolta
    Tunngle Username: ThymeParadox
    Registered Character: Sakuya

EifieFlare
    Profile Name: EifieFlare
    Tunngle Username: EifieFlare
    Registered Character: Youmu

Kamiye
    Profile Name: Kamiye
    Tunngle Username: camBARZ

KBF
    Profile Name: KBF
    Tunngle username: notkbf
    Character: Cirno

Penguinator
    Profile Name: Pengy
    Tunngle Username: Penguinizer

Sepharian Concytus
    Profile Name: SC
    Tunngle Username: satatami
    Registered Character: Remilia

Volatar
    Profile Name: Volatar
    Tunngle Username: Volatar

Bracket
    Spoiler
    Show

Rules, as before:
    • Games are played best of 3 sets.
    • When registering for the tournament please register what character you will use in the first round; you must always use this character in the first round. At the end of a set who ever lost is allowed to change characters for the next set. This is to prevent unfair counter picking first round, and to make character selection simpler in general.
    • Sanctioned matches must have at least one other registered player watching as a referee, make sure to save replays in case of contested matches. If you feel the ref was biased or otherwise a case of an unfair ref send a PM and the replays.

Games will be held using Tunngle, in Tunngle's 12.3 lobby.

If possible, please try to coordinate with at least a ref, but hopefully a streamer and commentators via the chat room of the GitP Hisoutensoku Steam Group. Also, please post the coordinated time for your match for the convenience of the refs, streamers and commentators.

If you are interested in streaming or commentating, show up and be available in the group chat room, watch for match times, and/maybe send a PM or a Steam message to KBF.
    Last edited by KBF; 2011-04-13 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    The recursiveness of KBF's sig is fracturing my brain. OW OW OW.

It's like putting two portals in view of each other and staring through them into infinity. And somehow KBF sigged it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasatoHyuga View Post
    @^^ Hey! Someone sigged me! :D

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

SAKUYA EVERYWHERE.

Also, I was sure that KBF would play Remilia. So sure.

Edit: My second round (if I make it that far) is against Eifie ohgodwhy.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2011-04-13 at 07:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    I must admit that I'm not a major touhou fan as such...
    Well, judging from how much they discuss the games, I don't think anyone else in this thread is either, so don't feel outta place. Unless you're counting spinoff games I guess, they're popular.
    Last edited by SparkMandriller; 2011-04-13 at 07:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

Honestly, Spark Mandriller, just about no one who is a major Touhou fan discusses the games. The fandom largely centers around the characters, the supplementary writing and especially all the doujin material, the games are there and they have a place, but they are by no means central to the whole thing. Seriously, I spend a substantial amount of time on an RP site specifically focused on Touhou and people rarely talk about the games there are either.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SparkMandriller View Post
    Well, judging from how much they discuss the games, I don't think anyone else in this thread is either, so don't feel outta place. Unless you're counting spinoff games I guess, they're popular.
    There's only so much you can talk about a shooting game before you start rehashing things.

Tournament thing; looks like I forgot what I needed to do to register. Oh well, maybe there'll be another tournament later.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Honestly, Spark Mandriller, just about no one who is a major Touhou fan discusses the games. The fandom largely centers around the characters, the supplementary writing and especially all the doujin material, the games are there and they have a place, but they are by no means central to the whole thing. Seriously, I spend a substantial amount of time on an RP site specifically focused on Touhou and people rarely talk about the games there are either.
    Um...

*feels a bit sad he's not considered a major fan*

14. - Top - End - #164

Honestly, Spark Mandriller, just about no one who is a major Touhou fan discusses the games.
    Is playing the games important, or do true fans avoid that too?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned

The games are generally played, it just isn't the central thing. Touhou as a whole is focused on the fan material and not the games. It is really rather remarkable and unprecedented, at least to this degree.

And relax, Drascin. I only said "just about no one", not a simple "no one" and you have to admit that the games aren't discussed that often in general.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KBF View Post
    If you are interested in streaming or commentating, show up and be available in the group chat room, watch for match times, and/maybe send a PM or a Steam message to KBF.
    I will be idling in the group chat room for commentating as well as trying to get my match partner and possibly some practice PUG's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

The games are generally played, it just isn't the central thing. Touhou as a whole is focused on the fan material and not the games. It is really rather remarkable and unprecedented, at least to this degree.

And relax, Drascin. I only said "just about no one", not a simple "no one" and you have to admit that the games aren't discussed that often in general.
    Yep, can't argue there. The games aren't really discussed much. Hell, the actual canon of the series isn't discussed much - it's fan stuff all day. But, well, I got in this series because the games were fun, the music awesome (vey important bit. I'm a very auditive person. I have trouble playing games with bad soundtracks), and the world painted by them interesting. Typical fan stuff didn't enter the picture there, and to be honest still doesn't enter much beyond recognizing it and getting a laugh out of the amusing ones. So I had to interject
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-04-13 at 08:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

So why's this in gaming instead of media discussions?

That's just confusing.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

So why's this in gaming instead of media discussions?

That's just confusing.
    Because the setting started with the Games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is playing the games important, or do true fans avoid that too?
    No. They've all played it and enjoyed it however it is a single-player game and a rather static one at that. The experience of a main series Touhou game is not going to differ that much from player to player except by difficulty mode and character and truly dedicated fans have probably played all of that too. Seeing as most people in this thread have probably played the main games, there is only so much to talk about and that this is just a continuation of the first thread that was started almost a year ago... I'd be very, very surprised if there was anything meaningful to talk about left in the main series. Once a new game is released talk will pick up about that for a while until it too is exhausted of meaningful discussion.

Now as for why this thread continues when the main series is depleted of talking points? There is a plethora of both official and unofficial spin off games that fans of the main series may want to try. These games are generally less popular than the main games so they have not yet been over discussed the way the main series has. In the case of the fighting games like 12.3 there will be a lot more to discuss as the other players are equally important to your experience as the game itself which of course opens a whole new avenue of discussion.

So yeah just chill, people in here appreciate the main games its just that there is nothing new to talk about on that front.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quick question on ruling: if we believe the match had lag, how should the players ask for a re-do, and how should a referee decide if they should re-do the match?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Oh, and getting back to Prime's avataring advertising. Can I switch from Meiling to Alice? I'm currently applying for her as an alt on the Touhou RP site, so I thought it would be fitting to pick her as an avatar here.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

First round, I won. Anonymoose is considerably better than he thinks, though.

Since posting replays on Youtube evades me, here's a megaupload link with the files instead.

I, uh, actually won 2.5 times. It's a long story involving replays and senility.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground

As I just reffed the first match of the Ranbat I'd like to say something to future competitors. Save. Your. Replays. KBF wasn't on so I had to make a judgment call myself and I decided to void the two matches where Cog and Moose both forgot to save replays and force them to do them over. There was no harm done in the end as the result was the same (though the matches themselves were much closer the second time). KBF can give a better ruling on this when he gets back on but I'd recommend you remember to save your replays either way.

I, uh, actually won 2.5 times. It's a long story involving replays and senility.
    Replays, Senility and a hard-ass who kept claiming to be "the law".
    Last edited by MoelVermillion; 2011-04-13 at 10:52 AM.
    Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Prime32 for the awesome Noel Vermillion avatar.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Of course, I missed lots of discussion on the one day I decided to take a nap.

1. Look at all them knives.
    2. Ha, I got a bye. And now I have to fight Suika WHY GOD WHY
    3. I'm wondering why no one's pointed out that we do talk about the games, especially recently. Fighting spinoffs (or even fan creations) they may be, but they're still games. It's like saying people aren't talking about the Mario series if the game isn't a platformer.
    4. Regarding the tournament, I should be available as a referee once I get home today (about an hour or so).

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    2. Ha, I got a bye. And now I have to fight Suika WHY GOD WHY
    And now I have to fight Eifie WHY GOD WHY.

Seriously, I was prepared to fight people for this tournament, not unstoppable forces of nature.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, and getting back to Prime's avataring advertising. Can I switch from Meiling to Alice? I'm currently applying for her as an alt on the Touhou RP site, so I thought it would be fitting to pick her as an avatar here.
    Hai.

And here I thought you just liked that av because it was smiling.

Spoiler
    Show

SURPRISE NOSEBLEED

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

And now I have to fight Eifie WHY GOD WHY.

Seriously, I was prepared to fight people for this tournament, not unstoppable forces of nature.
    Y'know, you are forgetting that you have won before. ...so I guess that makes me a fairy. Yeah thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

SURPRISE NOSEBLEED
    And somewhere out there, Ran just fired another Nosebleed Spark.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh dear lord me vs. Disp.

Oh god. We tried a random game. It was hilarious. Lag was an understatement. I think we can struggle through it. I'll poke him so we can get the games done when I can.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Thanks, Prime. And it does help that it is smiling, but mostly I went for it because it was fitting. Still not sure what's up with my sudden fondness for Alice, I can't point to anything I've seen or done that could have created it.

And that Chen is certainly leading Ran to bleed out somewhere.