New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Can we just do another music thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    It exists solely to spite you.

ETA

Death?
    Never really listened to them...but I will definately check them out.

thx.
    My free puzzle, riddle and mystery website. It's ALIVE!!! http://www.treasuredhunt.com

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, that caught me off guard. I assume you know about... ?
    I did, yes..

also, to elaborate on my last contribution, I'll throw some JM Jarre in the mix:

this
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

It exists solely to spite you.

ETA

Death?
    Yeah, I figured.

Wrong http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl3FstCc_OYDeath.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    The metal thread is the only Genre thread that seems to keep itself alive. I have no clue how.
    This being a forum full of D&D nerds, Metal is going to be the genre of choice for a large portion of users. It also provides an appealing diversion for said nerds by opening up pointless discussion/argument on the classification and relative merit of its hundred or so subgenres.

The metal subculture also has a certain sense of community about it that I feel isn't always there in other genres.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnRedBeard View Post
    I like metal. Pretty much all of it...except for nu-metal (mallcore)

I really love Mastodon, Symphony x, Gojira, Children of Bodom, High on Fire, Helloween, Megadeth, System of a Down, Between the Buried and Me, Isis, Dream Theater, Baroness, Warbringer, Wolfmother, Testament...that kinda stuff.

Would love recommendations for other bands that fit in my tastes...
    I'll second Kindablue's Death recommendation. You'd likely enjoy Chuck Shuldiner's other band Control Denied as well and Holy Grail, Artillery, Myrath, and Vektor come to mind after looking at your list.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-05-30 at 05:39 PM.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    The metal subculture also has a certain sense of community about it that I feel isn't always there in other genres.
    I think it was Brian Posehn who said, "Metal is different from all other music. You just can't stick your head out of a car window and scream REGGAE!!! YEAH!!! to a guy wearing a Bob Marley shirt."

I'll second Kindablue's Death recommendation. You'd likely enjoy Chuck Shuldiner's other band Control Denied as well and Holy Grail, Artillery, Myrath, and Vektor come to mind after looking at your list.
    Good stuff.

Wrong Death.
    I really like that album. Doesn't much fit with Gojira and Mastodon, though.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Pixie in the Playground

It also provides an appealing diversion for said nerds by opening up pointless discussion/argument on the classification and relative merit of its hundred or so subgenres.
    Metal has nothing on electronic in that regard.

On a completely unrelated note, post-punk.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoftSillyMusic View Post
    Metal has nothing on electronic in that regard.

On a completely unrelated note, post-punk.
    Post-punk has to be my all-around favourite genre, in just about every way.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Pixie in the Playground

Post-punk has to be my all-around favourite genre, in just about every way.
    The Replacements and Joy Division are two of my favorite bands ever. I love the Minutemen because they showed that with the right attitude anything could be called "punk".

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoftSillyMusic View Post
    The Replacements and Joy Division are two of my favorite bands ever. I love the Minutemen because they showed that with the right attitude anything could be called "punk".
    I love you.

Also, Mission of Burma is the greatest thing, have I mentioned this to anyone aside from gwyn lately?

Also also it's goddam hard to believe this song is from '81. The first two minutes are the best indie rock I've ever heard.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've had a need to take a break from my long-running EDM kick so I found one of my old favorites this morning: See No Evil by Television. I know it isn't the big single on the album but it's my favorite song.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

A sort of kind of proto-punk band that is worth listening too is Dr. Feelgood. I love Wilko Johnson's guitar style; I use it as a sort of influence on my own, because I play fingerstyle like he does.

They influenced the choppy stylings of post punk, too- Gang of Four, who I know that the Moff loves, apparently took a fair bit from Wilko's guitar.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Been meaning to check out Dr Feelgood, shall do so.

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    I've had a need to take a break from my long-running EDM kick so I found one of my old favorites this morning: See No Evil by Television. I know it isn't the big single on the album but it's my favorite song.
    Television is wonderful. In a fair and just universe, Venus would've been a massive hit. >.>

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Oh man, Polyphonic Spree is still just... I cannot believe how amazingly emotionally catastrophic their music is. I just cannot parse how devastating it is, and yet how uplifting.
    I guess listening to their music is like staring at the Sun made of happy thoughts, which is glaring with optimism instead of light.
    Heh, that caught me off guard. I assume you know about... ?
    This mix rocks!

Anyway, I wanted to share some unrelated findings: Daphne Oram, Delia Derbyshire (whose performace you probably heard quite often). Then there is Asa (I'm not even sure, how I stumbled upon her, but I'm quite happy, I did) and Miriam Stockley (when I first heard this one, I almost forgot, I should be practicing walz).

Also: Joan Jett is awesome.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm more of a New Order guy myself... I had a long conversation about Joy Division and New Order with a stranger in a bar once.

I love post-punk, specifically no wave. Sonic Youth have always been one of my favorite bands. Swans are right up there too.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This mix rocks!
    You didn't lie! o:
    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Delia Derbyshire (whose performace you probably heard quite often).
    "The Visitation" by her band White Noise is one of my favorite pieces of music.

ETA
    This is a terrific performance:
    Justin Townes Earle - "I Don't Care"
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2012-05-31 at 12:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    I love you.

Also, Mission of Burma is the greatest thing, have I mentioned this to anyone aside from gwyn lately?
    That was pretty awesome.

Also also it's goddam hard to believe this song is from '81. The first two minutes are the best indie rock I've ever heard.
    The repetitive section reminded me a lot of Rhys Chatham (on a side note, there needs to be more punk-influenced minimalism).

Quote Originally Posted by polity4life View Post
    Television is the best band to come out of the first wave of punk (well, maybe Talking Heads, that'd be a really tough choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    A sort of kind of proto-punk band that is worth listening too is Dr. Feelgood. I love Wilko Johnson's guitar style; I use it as a sort of influence on my own, because I play fingerstyle like he does.

They influenced the choppy stylings of post punk, too- Gang of Four, who I know that the Moff loves, apparently took a fair bit from Wilko's guitar.
    Fun fact, Wilko Johnson is also playing Ilyn Payne the executioner in the TV adaptation of Game of Thrones.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Troll in the Playground

Also, Death. The punk one, not the metal one. I love this tune, dunno why. Doesn't sound much like anything else I've ever heard.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Barbarian in the Playground

My musical taste tangent tour continues with this jaunty tune from The Band, Rag Mama Rag.

I love this song but it climaxes too early. That last verse really just brings all of the energy down from...what is that anyway, a second chorus? Anyway, I still dig the song.
    Demonlobster.com because we both know that you know that I know that you like fun!

The most intense eight seconds of your life, for real.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Had an interesting experience with my adventures in live music filming this week. One of the contestants on this past season of The Voice on NBC in the US was a local singer, Lindsey Pavao. She was eliminated in the semifinals (essentially a tie for 5th-8th), so just missed out on the perks of being a finalist like going on the post-show tour and making further recordings with them, etc. So she's back home, getting back into doing local shows, her regular job, and all that mundane stuff that probably feels really weird after being on national television and in the spotlight for 4 months.

She performed at a local bar/club with some friends of mine, so I filmed her set as part of the night. Unfortunately, fame is a double-edged sword, it got a lot of people to show up who otherwise wouldn't have, but you could tell a few were more into the celebrity thing than the music. During the first part of her set, when she was playing some of her original songs on acoustic guitar, a good number of these "fans" couldn't be arsed to listen to stuff they didn't already know, so they stood right by the stage and talked with their friends at full voice, pretty much ruining it for everybody else and being loud enough to make any footage I took useless. There was also a bunch of random yelling of "WOOOO!" and "WE LOVE YOU LINDSEY!" while she either sang or introduced her songs. Can't fault the enthusiasm too much, but I can fault the fact that they were standing 5 feet from her instead of being just one voice in the middle of an arena crowd. The time to go wild is AFTER the song, bub.

The last part of her set, the band with my friends in it joined her to back her on a couple of the covers that she had done on the TV show. NOW people paid some attention to the music. Plus with the full band loudness to drown the talkers out, I was able to get a couple of usable clips from these. I would have preferred to post some of her originals, but these came out really nice, and I'm sure I'll get chances later.

What's interesting is that on one of the videos you can hear her admit that she's fairly green at performing, which is true at this smaller level. She went directly from a handful of coffeehouse gigs to performing in front of thousands in the studio and millions on TV, with lots of help honing a "big" act. But she doesn't have that much experience yet working and winning over the immediate and intimate crowd of a small club or bar. Fortunately, she had a very helpful and friendly set of other musicians backing her up throughout the night, even if only with their presence while she was playing alone.

It's hard to remember sometimes that yes, the people on these shows are pretty much exactly like the rest of us, just thrust into a spotlight that's hard to imagine. It was also really nice to see that among the other local musicians, there was no jealousy or resentment, just complete support for another fellow artist trying to live her dreams.

So anyway, the videos. Here she is with Somebody That I Used To Know (The Voice version [OK, that's weird, I was going to link it, but the official YouTube page for the show JUST took this down in the last day or 2 ]), and Say Aah (The Voice version which was her audition song that got her on the show).
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Punk, post-punk, hardcore, post-hardcore, new wave, emo, pop punk, and all the other "cores" ... What's the difference anyway? (Sort of joking.)

On that note, The Thing That Ate Larry Livermore. Anybody have any opinions on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimor View Post
    So anyway, the videos. Here she is with Somebody That I Used To Know (The Voice version [OK, that's weird, I was going to link it, but the official YouTube page for the show JUST took this down in the last day or 2 ]), and Say Aah (The Voice version which was her audition song that got her on the show).
    Wow, you weren't lying. That was painful to listen to. You're channel is really cool, by the way. Gotta find the time to go through some of that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Punk, post-punk, hardcore, post-hardcore, new wave, emo, pop punk, and all the other "cores" ... What's the difference anyway? (Sort of joking.)

On that note, The Thing That Ate Larry Livermore. Anybody have any opinions on it?
    New wave is the only kind of punk that I've ever really liked. And it's a compilation album? I don't know anything about it; what's your opinion?

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I can never tell when I'm listening to New Wave, honestly. >.>

And yeah, it's a compilation album. It has a bunch of punk bands on it that I had honestly never heard of (the one exception being the Dopamines). The only reason I know about it is that my old Elementary school teacher is very much so into punk and he told me to keep my out for it. I'm sort of iffy on it in that I like a little more than half of the (16) songs on. I can't really find a good link to it, but it's up on Spotify and some people might want to give it a go.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post

Punk sounds like this. Post-punk sounds like this. Hardcore sounds like this. Post-hardcore sounds like this. While we're at it, there's proto-punk like this.

New wave is a big ol' spectrum between stuff like this, and stuff like this. Which is the opposite of pop-punk: new wave is the attitude of punk on top of different types of music, and pop-punk is pop songs that sound like punk songs.

Emo's an offshoot of post-hardcore, along with math rock.

Also, somewhere between post-punk and post-hardcore is noise rock.

The songs I linked are all pretty damn representative of their genres, and while there's plenty of variety in each of 'em, there's a handful of songs and bands that kinda define each one.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Punk sounds like this. Post-punk sounds like this. Hardcore sounds like this. Post-hardcore sounds like this. While we're at it, there's proto-punk like this.

New wave is a big ol' spectrum between stuff like this, and stuff like this. Which is the opposite of pop-punk: new wave is the attitude of punk on top of different types of music, and pop-punk is pop songs that sound like punk songs.

Emo's an offshoot of post-hardcore, along with math rock.

Also, somewhere between post-punk and post-hardcore is noise rock.

The songs I linked are all pretty damn representative of their genres, and while there's plenty of variety in each of 'em, there's a handful of songs and bands that kinda define each one.
    White text, mate. But all very nice. Except the noise. Not really too much of a fan. I'd say that my favorite stuff is mostly Bad Religion-esque Melodic Hardcore. And I love most of the bands on Epitaph. Though I would argue the pop-punk thing. Especially with Dookie and American Idiot.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-06-09 at 06:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

I saw your white text and chose to ignore it. : 3

And a bluh bluh, noise rock is great.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

So great. I heard a quote attributed to Stravinsky once on free form music. "Remember that form is still in the name."

This Town Needs Guns is a good math rock band. Or maths rock, I guess.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I saw your white text and chose to ignore it. : 3

Good on you, Moff.

Sorry. *shrug* Not everything is for everybody.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

it seems to poor little musically illiterate me that half these subcategorisations are ways for the bands to say "look at us, we're special and different" and for brown-nosing musical critics to validate the salaries they get paid..
    do I recognize the various examples sound different? yes..they're different tracks by different bands.. I'd feel cheated if they didn't sound different.
    that said, half the subcategories, I feel, have little reason to exist.. and the same happens with metal (where half the categories should just fall under one big label called "bad music with no discernible melody or lyrics")
    or maybe I just don't understand it and it's my fault.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    or maybe I just don't understand it and it's my fault.
    Whether or not you understand only matters if you actually care. If you don't, and you clearly don't, congrats, feel free to move on.

Some people find pleasure in discussing and sharing music (hence this thread) and genre classification is a really useful tool. Consider this: you're telling someone about this band that you like. Naturally, they ask you the following question:

"What do they sound like?"

You can say things like "They're pretty much just Pink Floyd," but that doesn't help anyone who's never heard Pink Floyd. That becomes much more relevant when you consider that, with the rise of the internet, musicians have an indescribably easier time sharing their music and so people are that much more capable of hearing very niche, unique, and relatively unheard-of music. While a good deal of people that you'll meet might have heard of Pink Floyd, it's much harder to share anecdotes about Crippled Black Phoenix [they're pretty much just Pink Floyd*], Yamantaka // Sonic Titan [noise pop], Giles Corey [slowcore], and Mass of the Fermenting Dregs [alternative/shoegaze].

Under the assumption that bands like Pink Floyd occasionally sound something like "progressive rock," it's much easier to convey concepts like "how some band sounds." Past that, it's just a matter of specificity.

*that's actually just a joke but after making it I remembered how ubiquitous that sentiment is among CBP's listeners and that made me a little bit sad.
    Last edited by ex cathedra; 2012-06-10 at 06:08 AM.