New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Spoiler
    Show
    Out-of-Character Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62587

The Valiant Heroes

Current Initiative

Temple Initiative
    1. Pyro (1d20+9=23)
    2. Xaod (17+)
    3. Hobgoblins (17)
    4. Lor (1d20=7)

Moathouse Initiative
    1. Ricar (22)
    2. Megiddo (1d20+3=17++)
    3. Tell (17+)
    4. Grigor (1d20=17)
    5. Haunor (11)
    6. Regular Militia (10)
    7. Black-robed Cleric (3)

[hr]Chapter 1: Shadows Rising

Between the Gnarley Forest and the Lortmil Mountains lies the Viscounty of Verbobonc. There was a time when the only remarkable feature of this peaceful province was its capital, which served as a major center of trade.

Then Evil came.

Just over a generation ago, a temple was built just north of the village of Hommlet. This temple was devoted to the cause of destruction through elemental fury and became known as the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Though it had its own goals, the Temple acted as a beacon for all other sorts of evil. It attracted bandits, brigands, and vile monsters that slowly began to lay waste to the surrounding countryside.

It was not long until the people of Verbobonc and the surrounding territories took notice and realized the Temple of Elemental Evil threatened the entire realm and needed to be destroyed. They raised an army. This army met the forces of the Temple on Emridy Fields. Though the forces of Good were victorious, they could not destroy the Temple itself and so they let it stand as a monument to darkness.

But letting the Temple stand meant that its threat was not destroyed but simply dormant. Within the next decade, the forces of Elemental Destruction sought to reclaim what was once theirs. The Temple began to rise again.

This time, the people of Verbobonc put their faith in several small groups that focused tactical strikes on the Temple itself. While not campaigning against Evil, these heroes found solace in Hommlet.

It soon became apparent that the threat posed by the Temple of Elemental Evil was greater than previously imagined. Within the Temple's dark dungeons, the priests hatched schemes that sought to wreak chaos and destruction throughout the Flanaaes and beyond.

The forces of Good struck at the temple with renewed vigor. Eventually, one of the teams confronted a powerful demon in the heart of the Temple. After defeating this paragon of darkness, they managed to bring the entire Temple down, eliminating the threat posed by Elemental Evil for good.

...Or so it would seem. For, in its own way, history is about to repeat itself.

[hr]The victory over Elemental Evil brought fame to the village of Hommlet. Eager to share in the joy brought on by such heroics, many people swarmed to the village. Some even stayed. And the village grew.

As the years passed an peace settled in the land, interest in the village waned, and the village's growth stabilized. Now the village is a quiet—some would say sleepy—small town.

And it is on a road just outside this town that five strangers meet, blissfully unaware of the coming darkness.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2009-07-23 at 06:43 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Tell

Tell and Megiddo are walking together, and Tell sees a silhoutted figure up ahead. He puts his hand on Megiddo's shoulder and gestures toward the figure silently, with a nod of his head.

Squinting, he tries to make out the person in more detail.

spot - (1d20+8)[9]
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

A small winged figure approaches Tell and his friend Megiddo cautiously. You notice he is a black draconic kobold as he comes closer. His palms are open to show he means no harm. On his person, he seems to have only a backpack, a nice cloak, and a wand at his side that his hand repeatedly drifts to subconsiously, but no weapons. In passable common he querries Hello fellow travelers. Who are you and where are you going if I may ask? Perhaps you are looking for adventure? He seems unsure of himself with his attempt at a formal hello and looks ready to take off at a moments notice.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-03 at 11:03 PM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Lor approaches from behind and interrupts the interaction.

"If any of you are traveling to Hommlet, perhaps we should band together until we arrive there. Treacherous roads, and all.

She rests her hand on a symbol of Heironius.

Lor Stillford, Knight of Heironius.
    Rarity's number one admirer!
    Click on the dragon eggs to help them hatch and grow, or get some for yourself!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell glances at Hommlet, already visible in the distance, and grins a bit.

"Band together eh?" He scratches his head. "You guys part of an act or something?"

(He assumes Megiddo knows him well enough to understand he is worried they are actually bandits trying to create a diversion of some sort.)
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2007-12-04 at 01:41 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo pauses as he sees a group of travelers on the road. He stops, and carefully examines the two. His gaze quickly falls on the holy symbol of Heironious. Wonderful, a paladin. A sacred champion of all that is good an holy in this world. A crusader against all that is evil in the universe. A paragon if virtue, disharmony, and foolishness. Just what we need to truly foul up this expedition. A gods-blessed Paladin. Traveling with a kobold, one that likely has quite an unusual outlook on the world, given the company that he keeps.

After a pause, he speaks. "Greetings Sir Knight. Would you also be traveling to Hommlet, or merely passing through? Either way, you are correct. There is strength in numbers, and who knows what manner of creatures might roam these lands. Your sword arm may be most valuable, so long as you keep the preaching to a minimum. I am a follower of Boccob. Not that he cares."

Megiddo is a tall elf, with amber eyes and long silver hair. He wears light blue flowing robes, and has a sword at his side, which looks more ceremonial than practical. He carries no other gear but a simple leather pack.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kajiki looks warily at the knight and keeps himself on the edge of the road, refusing to be caught inbetween any two people. As we begin walking down the road Kajiki tries to strike up conversation.Yes, strength in numbers, very good. I knew you looked intelligent. I here there are ruins in this area of an old temple. If you are interested in such things, we could go together for safety. I am very skilled at mining and am interested in excavating it to see what is left there.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-04 at 10:12 AM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Since Megiddo seems to be okay with the strangers, Tell shrugs and tosses his pillar of dreadlocks over his shouler. He begins to walk along with the others, using the edge of his hatchet to pick out the grime from under his fingernails.

He doesn't respond to the kobold, but he does toss a glance at the surrounding tree line, looking for any sign of hidden accomplices.

spot - (1d20+8)[19]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tell is making Kajiki worried, so he decides to look around too.
    Spot (1d20+9=12)
    Apparently he is too preocupide with those around him to do a very good job though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Lor sighs. She's always too forward. The outside world isn't like the temple she grew up in.

Perhaps I shall be even more blunt. As I stated, I am Lor Stillford. I am on a quest seeking one known as Xaod the Slayer. He was last seen in this area and I need to find him. Any aid you could give would be wonderful, but I am content to continue on my way.

She awaits their response.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, I have not been in this region long and know of no Xaod friend, but perhaps you could ask around at the local tavern once we get to town. Who is this Xaod the Slayer, and what does he slay?
    You notice Kajiki seems to have a nervous habit of reaching for his wand wenever he asks a question but he seems happy that someone has once again broken the silence.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-04 at 02:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Well, with a spot check like that, I should hope he can make out Orthus somewhere (hint, hint, Zero). If not, he at least notices a deer hiding in the brush nearby. The deer of course bolts as soon as it realizes it's been noticed. ))

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Seeing the deer, Tell quickly reaches for his bow as he steps off the road. He nocks an arrow and stares into the foliage where the deer leapt away, trying to tell where it is to get a clear shot on it:

survival - (1d20+12)[29]

And if he can see it:

attack - (1d20+8)[11]
    damage - (1d8+3)[10]

Not wanting to interrupt the conversation going on, he does this without a word of explanation to the others.

((Note to DM: not a desperate grab for XP here, just looking for meat!))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2007-12-04 at 08:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell cont'd

Frowning, he launches a second arrow immediately on the tail of the first:

atk - (1d20+8)[13]
    dmg - (1d8+3)[5]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The bow shot glances off of a very metallic sounding object. "Oui! Who's shootin' mah armor fulla 'oles?!" A squat, red-headed dwarf crawls out of the underbrush. His armor glints in the sunlight, and has a rather obvious point where the arrow bounced off his left shoulder. "Oui. You. 'Ume. Why're ya shootin' at me fer?!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Grinning knowingly, Tell lowers his bow. "You owe me a deer."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Like hell ye daft fool! I was huntin' that thing fer me breakfast! Now 'xplain yourself dammit!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Tell

Tell scratches his chin and tilts his head. "Well, some might say it's unsafe, hiding out in the brush that way. But--" he nods toward the other travelers down the way "--with company like that, I'm jealous."

He raises one eyebrow at the dwarf.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2007-12-04 at 09:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kajiki sticks his forked tongue out at Tell in response to his remark and edges towards the edge of the group thinking he is perfectly good company, naturally. Again, his left hand drifts towards his coveted wand subconsciously as the growing number of unknown and well equiped people has grown without any hint of their feelings towards himself or Lor.
    Trying to make at least one friend, he makes a knowledge local check for info on this Xaod Slayer and tries to start up another conversation with Lor about this man as his initial efforts were interrupted by a deer and a dwarf.

Knowledge(Local) (1d20+3=11)

Apparently, he draws a blank, but asks Lor who the person is one more time.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-04 at 11:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Megiddo

"Tell me more of the Xaod the Slayer. I may be interested in assisting you. On the other hand I may not. I do have other matters of interest in this area."
    Last edited by Skjaldbakka; 2007-12-05 at 12:11 AM.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Nope. Xaod is not particularly notable unless you've met him. ))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Xaod has been lax in reporting to his superiors at the church. I'm simply here to find out where he is and why he has not been responding to their calls. Dark times may be ahead.

Lor looks about quickly. Spot: (1d20)[8]

The Old One seems to be on the move.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"What kind of follower of Heironous calls himself the slayer?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

It's what he calls himself. It's not my job to ask why he earned such a name. Perhaps as a slayer of evil.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Either way, my interest is rapidly waning. Some knight not reporting to his superiors? Why should I care? What does that have to do with the price of wool in the Flanaess?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kajiki tries to keep the conversation going somewhere productive that will keep us together. Who is the Old One?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

To Megiddo:

! did not ask for your help in finding him, merely if anyone knew of his whereabouts. Since the church hired me, it is obviously none of your concern.

Lor turns to the kobold.

You do not know of the Old One? I dare not speak his name, for I do not know if his power has grown to even this region, but I would be certain you'd know his name if you heard it.

((OOC: Tarinth, "the Old One" is a term for the god Iuz. He's always causing trouble in Grayhawk. He's the "Sauron" to the heroic PC's "Frodo."))

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Knowledge (local, history, geography, nobility and royalty, or religion) checks could tell you a bit more about Iuz if you want. You're not stressed, so you could take 10 if you want. But then you lose out on the possibility of getting the extra info a natural 20 might provide... ))

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Um, lets just asume I did not ask such a stupid question then.
    Ok, we'll keep the question then, not that it matters too much.

To Lor's response to Megiddo, Kajiki mumbles quietly to himself But more helpers are always better. Lor can here the comment if you want her to be offended or something.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2007-12-06 at 10:17 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

(( Nah. It's not stupid... if most of your experience has been sequestered in a kobold warren until relatively recently.

And Entertainer13 may be exaggerating Iuz's influence a tad. My experience in Living Greyhawk tends to imply people aren't particularly concerned of Iuz unless their homeland neighbors his Empire. But as Entertainer13 and I are in the Highfolk region, which does border the Empire of Iuz, we tend to see him as a universal big bad moreso than other folks would (though it's not as bad as the Shield Lands, where Iuz is an occupying force).

That's not to say he hasn't had wide ranging impact. He does tend to create big waves (see "Greyhawk Wars"). But influence on distant realms is generally indirect. And as a demigod, he has the potential to really up the ante at any given moment.

As to geographical impact in this campaign, Iuz would have to march through Highfolk or Furyondy to reach Veluna, the realm to which Verbobonc owes fealty. Of course, Veluna is an ally of Furyondy, so their willing to take the fight to the Old One when necessary. Verbobonc is on the far side of Veluna from Furyondy.

And even if you do know of Iuz "The Old One" is a nickname you don't have to be familiar with. The kobolds could have their own nickname for him. (The only other nickname in the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer is "Iuz the Evil") ))