New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIX: I Emptied Your Thread

Kind of off topic, but I would have never heard of this show if it hadn't been for Bridle Gossip. I first watched it after The Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast played a clip of Twilight decrying supernaturalism and curses back in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahkaivah View Post
    Aside from lying about defeating an Ursa Major, Trixie did not understand good showmanship, Twilight highlighted this fairly well by not challenging her and yet Trixie continued to press her.

Also:

Trixie: I'm the best!
    Challenger: No you're not!
    Trixie: I am assaulting you!
    Audience: Clearly Trixie is the best!
    Yeah, I think you're right. I'm probably coming at this with too much baggage; I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a situation like that objectively ever again. She also doesn't pass around a hat or anything either, does she?

Whether or not it was a bad moral pretty much hinged on whether or not Twilight had concluded she shouldn't give up on figuring out how Pinkie Sense worked. Something that was left rather vague. But lots people people seemed ot assume she had given up.
    I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that she was just going to accept the Pinkie Sense on faith without trying to learn anything more about.

Quote Originally Posted by InkwellPony View Post
    Eat this, Skull-boy! Showin' off your skull armada? Well face off against my fully functional space vessel!

Spoiler
    Show

The Alicorn Class Starship PNY-1401, designation Aurora!

And I can state that it is officially 20% cooler than any vessel you can throw at me! -(Grins wickedly)-
    Way, way more than 20%.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-07 at 07:55 AM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Hang on, I'm missing a trick here. If you're gonna be chased my a crazy goddess, you may as well make use of it...

Lix, you're a shipping goddess; can you make Spike/Rarity happen?
    C'mon, there's absurd and then there's just plain crazy. You might as well ship BraeburnXOwlowlisious; that's about how canon that romance is. You kids and your crack pairings, honestly.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    C'mon, there's absurd and then there's just plain crazy. You might as well ship BraeburnXOwlowlisious; that's about how canon that romance is. You kids and your crack pairings, honestly.
    Somebody's just asking to be Raritanked!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

I return, if only to mourn for a language burned. Seriously though, you ponies are CRAZY. So many threads.
    Last edited by Shadowy; 2011-08-07 at 08:20 AM.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

5. - Top - End - #635
    Colossus in the Playground

The Raritank will get dive-bombed by the RBD-17 and it will be romantic.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

When I have enough free time, I am so converting a Radical Recon Tank into a Grav-Trike-Spike.

And then we shall see!

We. Shall. SEE!!!!

If'n yer want summat done, yer have ' do it yerself...

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

It was always my belief that dragons could changed their form, what with half dragons being so prevalent in fictions (I know that's not how a D&D half-dragon works).

That being said, for a half dragon to born to a human mother, I'm gonna say that to make things less freaky and more kosher that the father dragon became a human for conception. Maybe even stayed a human for a time, because he was in love.

Andddd Spike is a dragon: in my world this means one day when he grows up and learns more grown-up dragon magic, it's possible he could transform into a pony. (Not just for sex, I'm just saying a Rarity/Spike romance shouldn't be taken out just because they're not both "pony".)

The world us FULL of magic! Anything can happen~
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I love my filly~

8. - Top - End - #638
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    It was always my belief that dragons could changed their form, what with half dragons being so prevalent in fictions (I know that's not how a D&D half-dragon works).

That being said, for a half dragon to born to a human mother, I'm gonna say that to make things less freaky and more kosher that the father dragon became a human for conception. Maybe even stayed a human for a time, because he was in love.

Andddd Spike is a dragon: in my world this means one day when he grows up and learns more grown-up dragon magic, it's possible he could transform into a pony. (Not just for sex, I'm just saying a Rarity/Spike romance shouldn't be taken out just because they're not both "pony".)

The world us FULL of magic! Anything can happen~
    Actually, that shape shifting is exactly how most half dragons are conceived.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Pixie in the Playground

I note everyone seems to dislike the only completely Spike-centric episode1, you heartless lot. This has been noted...
    I think the dislike of that episode has less to do with spike and more with it being soap opera, and not the good barely tolerable kind (see also). At least Feeling Pinkie Keen had good gags, but Owl's Well That Ends Well has no redeeming virtues that I can think of.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that she was just going to accept the Pinkie Sense on faith without trying to learn anything more about.
    It's stated that she now believes that Pinkie can predict the future despite not understanding how. Her refusal to listen to Pinkie's predictions being something that was getting her injured throughout the episode.

But one can believe something and still desire to figure out how and why it is so. When a fan mentioned how they felt that Twilight had concluded that she shouldn't try to understand how Pinkie Sense worked Lauren said that was not the intention at all.

Personally I'm inclined to think that Spike finding Pinkie Pie and Twilight in the libary together suggests that they were researching ways in which Pinkie Sense could work.
    Last edited by Jahkaivah; 2011-08-07 at 09:47 AM.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

It's stated that she now believes that Pinkie can predict the future despite not understanding how. Her refusal to listen to Pinkie's predictions being something that was getting her injured throughout the episode.

But one can believe something and still desire to figure out how and why it is so. When a fan mentioned how they felt that Twilight had concluded that she shouldn't try to understand how Pinkie sense worked Lauren said that was not the intention at all.

Personally I'm inclined to think that Spike finding Pinkie Pie and Twilight in the libary together suggests that they were researching ways in Pinkie Sense could work.
    Pinkie is a Sidereal, but they've decided not to tell her.

Would you want to have Pinkie working in your office?

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Firbolg in the Playground

In defense of Pinkie Keen:

I like the old-school slapstick, and there were some pretty awesome bits.
    The story was almost all my two favorite ponies
    It still fits the 'hey, just don't be a jerk for no reason' overall theme of the show
    Pinkie and Twilight both trotting out of the library was pretty d'aww.

Would you want to have Pinkie working in your office?
    Pinkie would be really nice to have around while debugging.

"BLARG, what's wrong with this PHP script!?"
    "Ooh, there's a syntax error in that echo statement"
    "How'd you find that."
    "I just looked there, silly."
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2011-08-07 at 10:02 AM.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

But one can believe something and still desire to figure out how and why it is so. When a fan mentioned how they felt that Twilight had concluded that she shouldn't try to understand how Pinkie Sense worked Lauren said that was not the intention at all.

Personally I'm inclined to think that Spike finding Pinkie Pie and Twilight in the libary together suggests that they were researching ways in which Pinkie Sense could work.
    Dear Princess Celestia, I am happy to report that I now realize there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't neccesarilly make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them, and sometimes it takes a friend to show you the way.

Emphasis not mine.
    I took her saying that she "just can't explain" it as meaning that she had given up on trying to figure it out--that it was impossible to know--, but I don't think that's what they meant. I think they meant that she "just can't explain it yet." Maybe they'll revisit this in season two.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-07 at 10:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644

GnomeWizardGuy

I actually just finished watching Feeling Pinkie Keen, and it is still one of my favorite episodes - for pretty much this reason. Twilight doesn't say she can't understand it, just that she doesn't understand it, and that not understanding doesn't mean you should assume it is false. I mean, she did get a lot of circumstantial evidence throughout the episode.

My least favorite episode would probably be A Bird in the Hoof, perhaps mostly because it starred my favorites of the mane cast but ended up as little more than a Looney Tunes sketch.

How often to half-dragons appear in non-D&D fiction anyways? The closest I can think of is a "dragon-blooded" common theme for spellcasters, which doesn't seem to be the same thing (although I guess it would involve polymorphing dragons sometime back).
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

15. - Top - End - #645
    Bugbear in the Playground

I know I said I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but Pinkie Keen is OK because:

Spoiler
    Show

Honk.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    Maybe they'll revisit this in season two.
    Yeah I think that would be a good idea.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah I think that would be a good idea.
    I second this. Well more like third but still.
    ....Why do I have the feeling that if S2 gets Cerebus Syndrome the explanation will be either incredibly disturbing or technobabble filled?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2011-08-07 at 10:23 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

18. - Top - End - #648

So, I noticed that there is an elemental theme for avatars next week. Does anypony think that we could scrounge together some avatars for the elements of ponythread, or is this just a bad idea?
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    So, I noticed that there is an elemental theme for avatars next week. Does anypony think that we could scrounge together some avatars for the elements of ponythread, or is this just a bad idea?
    Don't think we have enough active ponytar artist(s) left to do so. Dirtytabs is already up to her arms in ponytar requests.

Unless of course you mean we modify existing vectors or the sort.

20. - Top - End - #650

GnomeWizardGuy

So, I noticed that there is an elemental theme for avatars next week.
    Pardon?

Wait, next week? How do you know what the avatars will be next week? Are you from the future? Is this some kind of attempt to change the past or something?!

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. Also, I'm silly today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

21. - Top - End - #651

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Don't think we have enough active ponytar artist(s) left to do so. Dirtytabs is already up to her arms in ponytar requests.

Unless of course you mean we modify existing vectors or the sort.
    True, there aren't many ponytar artists. I was kinda hoping that somepony might be able to come up with a cool idea, and we could STEAL THE HELL OUT OF IT run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Pardon?

Wait, next week? How do you know what the avatars will be next week? Are you from the future? Is this some kind of attempt to change the past or something?!

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. Also, I'm silly today.
    Well, yesterday I saw the newspaper for today, which means that by today it must be Thursday, and by next week, it'll be the end of the universe as we know it.

Seriously, it's here. It's in the Friendly Banter part of the forum.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

22. - Top - End - #652

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, yesterday I saw the newspaper for today, which means that by today it must be Thursday, and by next week, it'll be the end of the universe as we know it.

Seriously, it's here. It's in the Friendly Banter part of the forum.
    Ah, thanks. Didn't know about that.

Hmm... should I take off my avatar to be properly insignificant for the week? I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm embodying the element of anything significant enough to embody while embodying an element.

More seriously, I'm not an artist and am poor as describing details on a character, so I doubt I'm getting a new avatar anytime soon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, thanks. Didn't know about that.

Hmm... should I take off my avatar to be properly insignificant for the week? I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm embodying the element of anything significant enough to embody while embodying an element.

More seriously, I'm not an artist and am poor as describing details on a character, so I doubt I'm getting a new avatar anytime soon.
    Probably could swap to that Lyra is a bipedal pic. She looks appropriately insane there.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Midnight Nightmare, Excerpt #7:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Love isn't mindless adoration.

The protective spells woven around the library were potent in power, but half-hearted in design. Momma and Mom didn't want to fight, didn't want to hurt her, and so it was a simple matter to snap the weave of the spells, destroying the protection...

Friendship isn't absolute obedience.

The doors to the library were now undefended, the last shelter of those unchanged open to her.

What you are doing to protect me from loss and loneliness will only insure it. Love and friendship can only come from ponies being ponies, to clash and mingle, and to remember that we are never, truly, alone, unless we give up on them.

She knew that.
    She knew that.

She knew she had failed her. She knew that she had misunderstood, had allowed her own worry, pain and doubt to misguide her, and now...and now...

Only because she wanted to protect her...

Only because she loved her...

It's not too late. I understand the spell now. It can be so easily broken. We can stop this.

It was too late. They would never forgive her now. Nopony would ever look at her in the same way, they would hate her, they would never love her again.

The best...the best she could offer her was this.

The doors to the library shattered open.

You're wrong.

There they were. The remaining ponies. Her remaining Aunts.

There they were. Front and center, her Momma and her Mom, slowly stepping towards her.

It's not too late for forgiveness.

There was fear in their eyes...but not for themselves. Fear for her. Desperation, but not for their plight, but hers.

They forgave Momma Luna.

They were here. The Princesses, Princess Mommy and Gammy, in all their glory. If she were to defeat them, she would need to capture her Momma now. But, they were not full of wrath, but love, and the words they were speaking, all four of them, not just them, all of them...

They forgave Mom.

Come back to us.
    Let us help you.
    Don't give up on us.

We love you.

They will forgive you.

Please....
    Please...

I forgive you.

Knees buckled. Tears spilled. They collapsed to the floor.

They spoke, for the first time, as one.

"Please help me!"

EDIT: Fixed some grammar and formatting issues.
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-08-07 at 11:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    In defense of Pinkie Keen:

I like the old-school slapstick, and there were some pretty awesome bits.
    The story was almost all my two favorite ponies
    It still fits the 'hey, just don't be a jerk for no reason' overall theme of the show
    Pinkie and Twilight both trotting out of the library was pretty d'aww.

Pinkie would be really nice to have around while debugging.

"BLARG, what's wrong with this PHP script!?"
    "Ooh, there's a syntax error in that echo statement"
    "How'd you find that."
    "I just looked there, silly."
    I actually really enjoyed Feeling Pinkie Keen. Yeah, the ending was kind of lame compared to some of them, but I understand it. Twitchatwitcha cracks me up every time I watch it.
    3DS Friend Code: 3625-8308-8437
    Pokemon X | Harvest Moon ANB | Animal Crossing ANL
    Fighting Type | Machoke | Throh | Breloom

26. - Top - End - #656

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Probably could swap to that Lyra is a bipedal pic. She looks appropriately insane there.
    You just want more Lyra, Lyra. Trying to start a Cult to the Turquoise One?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The full set is here.

original image

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

BraeburnXOwlowlisious is a bad example since it's canon. Braeburn had one scene where he said 3 words to Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash is the heroine of Scootaloo, and Owlowsious is a bird. So Braeburn and Owlowsious have a relationship and are an official couple. At least by ponysanity standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Strangely never bothered me much. I think I just assumed it was because of the great stress of having a (supposedly) useless horn. I mean, that must be traumatic for a unicorn, almost as bad as losing it entirely. No wonder she grew desperate eventually.
    Y'know, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I fail to see the practical difference between a cursed plant and a plant that somehow knows exactly how to magically prank you. For that matter, as much as she was trying to distinguish her magic from curses, once magic is in the picture, it's a meaningless distinction. If Twilight had to mix chemicals to make alchemical effects, and that's how her magic worked, fine. But as long as her magic works by "horn glows, stuff happens," to my mind Twilight was just insisting on her terminology.

There's no such thing as curses. Magic has predictable, distinct effects.

But we just got cursed by a nonsentient entity in personalized ways.

LALALALALALA NO SUCH THINGS AS CURSES THE BOOKS TOLD ME SO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I think the dislike of that episode has less to do with spike and more with it being soap opera, and not the good barely tolerable kind (see also). At least Feeling Pinkie Keen had good gags, but Owl's Well That Ends Well has no redeeming virtues that I can think of.
    It gave us two good things. 1) Quills and Sofas. 2) Scootaloo being adorably obsessive about sucking up to Dash.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-08-07 at 12:21 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

*laughs* Oh I know~ I was just kidding ^^ and teasing you~
    Ohgood. xD

Also, Lix, with my romantic luck, you're not going to have anyone to steal in the foreseeable future.
    Awww. I could steal myself? (nuzzles)

At the risk of negativity, what's everyone's least favorite episode? Mine is Owl's Well That Ends Well.
    Hmm. Bearing in mind that I enjoy every episode enough to rewatch them, Show Stoppers. When I rewatched the series, it was the only one I almost skipped.

Actually, I was referring to Twilight's father:
    Hey... has anyone theorised that Twilight and Trixie are sist-?!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizmat View Post
    So, judging by cutie mark and colors, Trixie is Twi's half-sister...
    ...er.

Hang on, I'm missing a trick here. If you're gonna be chased my a crazy goddess, you may as well make use of it...

Lix, you're a shipping goddess; can you make Spike/Rarity happen?
    (Ahem)
    Let it be known throughout Equestria that the Great and Powerful Lixie...
    Spoiler
    Show

Supports Spike/Rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Pinkie is a Sidereal, but they've decided not to tell her.
    I've had my own personal canon about this for a LONG time. I've always thought that Pinkie is an alicorn to be. She's bouyed up by friendship, even more than the others-without her friends she /breaks/. And she has some form of magic that no other earth pony has.
    Plus, and this is a nice touch I only just noticed, it means that while Pegasi and Unicorns are wonderful, it's the Earth Ponies who have the potential for everything within them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    I second this. Well more like third but still.
    ....Why do I have the feeling that if S2 gets Cerebus Syndrome the explanation will be either incredibly disturbing or technobabble filled?
    Don't joke. They said they were putting a little stuff in for the older fans... let's hope they don't ruin it.
    (Of course, with my track record, they woudn't be able to ruin it for me if they tried.)

You just want more Lyra, Lyra. Trying to start a Cult to the Turquoise One?
    He knows.
    Launch the Musical Missile Massacre.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Y'know, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I fail to see the practical difference between a cursed plant and a plant that somehow knows exactly how to magically prank you. For that matter, as much as she was trying to distinguish her magic from curses, once magic is in the picture, it's a meaningless distinction. If Twilight had to mix chemicals to make alchemical effects, and that's how her magic worked, fine. But as long as her magic works by "horn glows, stuff happens," to my mind Twilight was just insisting on her terminology.

There's no such thing as curses. Magic has predictable, distinct effects.

But we just got cursed by a nonsentient entity in personalized ways.

LALALALALALA NO SUCH THINGS AS CURSES THE BOOKS TOLD ME SO.
    That came off as arbitrary to me, too. Both of those episodes would have been better had they done more world building early on and explained how unicorn magic is supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Don't joke. They said they were putting a little stuff in for the older fans... let's hope they don't ruin it.
    (Of course, with my track record, they woudn't be able to ruin it for me if they tried.)
    What would Elan say about tempting fate?
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-08-07 at 12:29 PM.